inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Is It Okay To Fire A Weapon At Someone?

Written By: star80 on 07/06/08 at 3:35 am

We just had an incident where a woman was involved in a road rage incident here in town and she ended up shooting the guy, because she said she feared for her life when the man approached her at an intersection for nearly running him over.  The man was handicapped and on a motorcycle she was in an SUV.  He was not armed.  After she had shot him, her son got out of the vehicle and they both were spitting on, cursing and kicking this man after he was already shot.

Subject: Re: When Is It Okay To Fire A Weapon At Someone?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/06/08 at 4:43 am

Who was it?  Laura Bush?

Written By: Howard on 07/06/08 at 5:49 am

When they piss you off.  >:(

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/06/08 at 9:08 am

Who was it?  Laura Bush?
OOOHH  :D

Written By: ninny on 07/06/08 at 9:48 am

I think I would have to fear for my life or the life of my familt to shoot someone.
Road rage I'd just flip them off and curse.
Vengence is good for a few of the others.

I know I'm from the country but why would you be driving around with a gun,was she that scared when she drove,or was she looking for trouble.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/06/08 at 11:07 am

I think I would have to fear for my life or the life of my familt to shoot someone.
Road rage I'd just flip them off and curse.
Vengence is good for a few of the others.

I know I'm from the country but why would you be driving around with a gun,was she that scared when she drove,or was she looking for trouble.
She almost ran over a handicapped man, shot him, then spit on him.  I'd say she was looking for trouble. :(

Written By: La Roche on 07/06/08 at 12:17 pm

If someone broke in to my house, I would shoot them and I would shoot to kill. I would aim either for the head or if I didn't think I could get off a good head shot then I'd shoot for their chest and do my best to pierce vital organs.

I don't carry any of my weapons with me in my car, well, tell a lie, I have a baseball bat in the back seat, that's more for innocent purposes than anything else. I like to go to the batting cages a lot and like my bat more than theirs.. but also, if somebody tried anything I wouldn't have any qualms about caving their skull in, but it would need to be fairly obvious that they were coming for me as opposed to just mad and shouting.

If I saw somebody breaking in to one of my neighbors houses or assaulting somebody on the street I would certainly threaten them with death, whether or not I'd try to kill them is a different matter but a shotgun blast to the leg is going to ensure that the police have no problem coming and picking you up.

Written By: ninny on 07/06/08 at 12:18 pm

She almost ran over a handicapped man, shot him, then spit on him.  I'd say she was looking for trouble. :(

That seems to be the case..to shoot him is bad enough,but then they both went over and kicked him and spat on him.This doesn't sound like a woman who was afraid.she sounds more like someone with issues.

Written By: ninny on 07/06/08 at 12:26 pm

If someone broke in to my house, I would shoot them and I would shoot to kill. I would aim either for the head or if I didn't think I could get off a good head shot then I'd shoot for their chest and do my best to pierce vital organs.

I don't carry any of my weapons with me in my car, well, tell a lie, I have a baseball bat in the back seat, that's more for innocent purposes than anything else. I like to go to the batting cages a lot and like my bat more than theirs.. but also, if somebody tried anything I wouldn't have any qualms about caving their skull in, but it would need to be fairly obvious that they were coming for me as opposed to just mad and shouting.

If I saw somebody breaking in to one of my neighbors houses or assaulting somebody on the street I would certainly threaten them with death, whether or not I'd try to kill them is a different matter but a shotgun blast to the leg is going to ensure that the police have no problem coming and picking you up.

If I can remember back to my Criminal justice courses,you can shoot someone who has entered your house,but not someone who is just on your property..but what the hell if he tries to shoot you first..then you can take a pop at him,damn I should have paid better attention.

Written By: star80 on 07/06/08 at 1:15 pm

Who was it?  Laura Bush?

Here is some of the story

Mosier: Parrish threatened to kill him

Man tells JPD he was not the aggressor in road rage shooting

By MATT THACKER
Matt.Thacker@newsandtribune.com

The victim in the June 17 road-rage shooting in Jeffersonville formally met with a detective from the Jeffersonville Police Department for the first time last weekend.

Wesley Mosier, 52, of Corydon, claims that 39-year-old Jeffersonville resident Yalanda Parrish threatened to kill him before shooting him in the chest.

“(Mosier) admitted he did go up to the window. He said when he got there, she said, ‘This is your lucky day.’ And he said, ‘What do you mean?’ and she said ‘You’re going to die’ and shot him in the chest,” said JPD Detective Charlie Thompson, who met with Mosier on Sunday after he was released from the hospital.

Mosier also told police Parrish had been tailgating his motorcycle and that she was the aggressor — not him.

“(Mosier) says that he feels in his heart that he did not believe that he did anything wrong,” Thompson said. “He definitely feels, along with his attorney, that she will be indicted.”

Mosier’s interview with police was taped and a transcript will be provided to a grand jury, which will convene July 9 to decide whether to indict Parrish.

Mosier’s attorney, Larry Wilder, said police have asked Mosier to make no public statements until after the grand jury meets. However, Mosier recently spoke with newsgathering partner WLKY-TV in Louisville.

A postal worker has come forward saying Parrish stalked and threatened her, the WLKY report says.

Brian Butler, Parrish’s attorney, said he was in a meeting and had not had a chance to review Mosier’s comments and would have a comment later today.

Written By: Davester on 07/06/08 at 4:39 pm

If I can remember back to my Criminal justice courses,you can shoot someone who has entered your house,but not someone who is just on your property..but what the hell if he tries to shoot you first..then you can take a pop at him,damn I should have paid better attention.

But you probably remember that it all depends on the state...

Don't shoot an intruder in the back and make sure the intruder falls inside the house or you may be charged with a crime in California.  Don't use force any greater than the intruder or mugger is using on you (be sure to continually say "I feared for my life" to the cops)...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/08 at 4:53 pm

But you probably remember that it all depends on the state...

Don't shoot an intruder in the back and make sure the intruder falls inside the house or you may be charged with a crime in California.  Don't use force any greater than the intruder or mugger is using on you (be sure to continually say "I feared for my life" to the cops)...

In Texas you can shoot an intruder coming out of a neighbor's house even though the person on the line when you called 911 told you NOT to go out and shoot him.

Cat

Written By: Davester on 07/06/08 at 5:05 pm

In Texas you can shoot an intruder coming out of a neighbor's house even though the person on the line when you called 911 told you NOT to go out and shoot him.

Cat

I have heard people talking about that.  Always wondered if it's true.  It's frontier justice in ol' Tejas...

Written By: Howard on 07/06/08 at 5:28 pm

Only when a burgular enters you house.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/08 at 5:29 pm

I have heard people talking about that.  Always wondered if it's true.  It's frontier justice in ol' Tejas...

It is true. I'm not too sure which show I saw it on but they played the 911 tape of the guy being told to stay put. You hear him going outside and you hear the gun going off.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/17/national/main3517564.shtml

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5283784&page=1

And what gets me, is that this guy is being praised as a hero.  >:( >:( >:(

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/06/08 at 5:35 pm

You can always duck the bullet,but that wouldn't work.

Written By: Shacks Train on 07/06/08 at 10:29 pm

Go Postal!!!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/06/08 at 11:46 pm

When local law permits.  In most states (Texas being the notable exception), that requires that you be in a situation in which a reasonable person would fear for his/her own life, or in which a reasonable person would be required to use deadly force to protect the life of another.  As a general rule, one is legally entitled to meet force with commensurate force; when the bad guy goes down, you must stop hitting him. 

Whether one is armed with guns, knives, clubs, or fists, the only three tools that matter are:

Deescalation.  Deterrence.  Defense. 

Use them in that order.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/08 at 7:12 am

Go Postal!!!!

or UPS.

Written By: whistledog on 07/07/08 at 8:06 am

I'd say in self defense.  If someone is firing a weapon at me with intent to kill, shouldn't I be able to defend myself?  Not kill the person, but just injure enough so s/he can't shoot at me no more.  Not that I'd ever be in possession of a weapon anyway, but if that person ever harmed a member of my family or a friend with a weapon, then I'd have no choice but ...

"Say hello to my little friend"

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/11/scarface_million.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/07/08 at 9:18 pm

Why would someone act like Al Pacino?

Written By: whistledog on 07/07/08 at 9:34 pm

Why would someone act like Al Pacino?

Because it's fun to say "Hoo-aah" :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/07/08 at 10:33 pm

I'd say in self defense.  If someone is firing a weapon at me with intent to kill, shouldn't I be able to defend myself?  Not kill the person, but just injure enough so s/he can't shoot at me no more. 

If someone is firing (implying a firearm) at me, they're using deadly force against me.  Nobody's going to argue that he's a good enough shot and trying to shoot my belt buckle off, so that my pants fall to the ground, and they can take my wallet while I'm running away in my underwear.

Because nbody's that good a shot.  Therefore, you can safely assume that anyone firing a weapon at you intends to kill you. 

And that goes both ways.  If you're firing a weapon at someone, you're using deadly force against them.  Nobody's going to assume that you're a good enough shot to shoot the guy in the leg (missing the center body mass, missing the groin, hitting the leg, and missing the femoral artery) and run away while he hobbles after you with a flesh wound.

Because nobody's that good a shot.  Therefore, if you've made the decision to pull the trigger, you'd better have had a damn good reason, because whether you wanted to (a) wound, (b) kill, or merely (c) stop the guy, you have used deadly force. 

(a) "So, you didn't think the situation warranted deadly force, because you just finished saying you didn't want to kill him.  But you pointed a gun at him and pulled the trigger anyways, even though you didn't think the situation warranted killing the guy.  Officer, charge this man with reckless endangerment, assault with a deadly weapon, torture, and anything else the DA can come up with!"
(b) "So, regardless of whether or not the situation warranted deadly force, you wanted to kill him.  Officer, this man intended to kill my client.  Charge him attempted homicide - my client is obviously only alive because this man couldn't shoot straight!"
(c) "Crap.  If the circumstances justify it, using deadly force to stop an attack is actually legal.  I can't have the victim charged with anything."

At that point, the only question is whether or not the situation justified your use of deadly force.  If a situation requires the use of deadly force, there's no legal advantage in shooting-to-wound; there's only shooting to stop the attack, and the most effective way of stopping the attack is to aim at the center body mass and continue firing into it until the attack stops. 

If you're lucky, you miss with every shot, you manage not to hit any innocent bystanders behind the bad guy, and the bad guy turns around and runs away.  If you're unlucky, you kill the guy and the attack stops.  If you're very unlucky, you only wound him and the attack stops -- but he sues you from his hospital bed for every penny you're worth.  If you're extraordinarily unlucky, you run out of ammo and he kills you.  If you're even unluckier than that, you wing an innocent bystander, and it doesn't matter whether the bad guy kills you or not, because either way, your life is over.

Most crimes deterred by firearms don't involve the firing of a single shot.  The most common outcome is that the CCW carrier draws his gun, the bad guy sees it, realizes the risk/reward odds are poor, and runs away, at which point the CCW carrier has no justifiable (Texas being the notable exception) reason to shoot.

The easy way around the dilemma of whether or not to use deadly force is not to carry a firearm.  It's a right, not an obligation.  But I couldn't let that original comment about "just injure enough so he can't shoot me no more" pass.  In an ideal universe, you'd do that -- but it's not an ideal universe.  The laws of physics and human physiology are such that nobody's that good a shot even on a firing range, let alone in a life-or-death situation.  There's no such thing as a threat that demands shoot-to-wound: a threat either requires the use of deadly force, or it does not.  No middle ground.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/08 at 7:23 am

Because it's fun to say "Hoo-aah" :D

Say Hello to my Little Friend.

Check for new replies or respond here...