inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you freaked or facinated by Spiders?

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/04/08 at 10:35 am

This little fellow is the largest in Ontario..The common name is the "Dock Spider"
It hunts fish & if you ever disturb one they can race away at a speed you wouldn't believe!
If you want to get an Idea as to how big just click on the photo!(Actual size!)

Subject: Re: Are you freaked or facinated by Spiders?

Written By: AngeliK on 08/04/08 at 1:00 pm

OMG!!! Very little scares me.... but spiders scare me LOOOOOOADS!!!

Never forget the day I had to get a 5 year old to save me from one - the look on his face  :-[

Written By: wildcard on 08/04/08 at 1:56 pm

I love spiders.  I will kill black widows and poisonous spiders of course.  Once in a while I see these spiders with iridescent mandibles and a spot ( white or orange) on them.  When I got bit I felt pain all up my arm.  I put hydrogen peroxide on the bite and the pain went away in a few minutes.  No more playing with those spiders. 

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/04/08 at 2:45 pm

If your where Black Widows are you probably have these other ones as well......The "Brown Recluse"
Odd that only the small ones have deadly poisons.......The "Dock" species are totally harmless.A fellow I worked with was from South Africa & told me they had a variety called "Red Lanterns".
They were fascinated by movement so in dance halls at night they would be all over the floor moving along with the people dancing.Staying in the peoples shadows..Sort of dancing along!He said you could never step on one as they moved too quickly to allow that.....Personally I enjoy them.....But they are no kings/Queens of the domain .I watched a Pepsis Wasp purposely fly into a web of a large garden spider & shake the web.
The spider reacted by rushing the wasp only to be over powered by the wasp & stung....The wasp doesn't stick to the web & fly off with its catch....It doesn't kill the spider only stuns it as it lays an egg on the spiders back .it buries the spider alive so when the wasp larvae hatch they can eat the spider alive..
Theres a species known as Portia (por-shah) a jumping spider from Polynesia that is so small yet proven to think as tests displayed it can get mazes right when it comes to food!
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1640513/posts

Odd that a lot of people are just livid when it comes to something so small.....

Written By: Bobby on 08/04/08 at 4:53 pm

Spiders don't bother me because I know there aren't any poisonous ones here in the UK.

Now mice is a different matter . . .  :-[

Written By: Howard on 08/04/08 at 8:34 pm

I don't like spiders.  8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/08 at 10:27 pm

Spiders are fascinating, snakes freak me out!

Of course, there were not many snakes in NH, but there were inch-long barn spiders. There were even black widows, but if you didn't mess with them, they didn't mess with you.  I have wondered if the unknowns of the reptiles plays into it to some degree.  Very few reptiles are aggressive towards humans.  They'll strike out in defense if they feel threatened, the problem is they can misperceive all kinds of motion as threat.  I think there might be some genetics in prevalent phobias such as arachnophobia and ophidophobia.  These were animals that could hurt us.  The genetic memory might be stronger in some individual than others.

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/08 at 10:39 pm

I don't like Spiders, and usually when I see one, I seriously might scream like a little girl :-http://www.listal.com/image/7959/180full-daniel-stern.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/04/08 at 10:39 pm

i do NOT like spiders. 8-P

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 7:55 am

i do NOT like spiders. 8-P

What about the Daddy Longlegs? ???

Written By: AngeliK on 08/05/08 at 7:58 am

Now mice is a different matter . . .  :-[

Mice?! I used to have 2 pet mice.... they were sweet  :D

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 8:02 am

Mice?! I used to have 2 pet mice.... they were sweet  :D

Mice And Spiders?

Written By: AngeliK on 08/05/08 at 8:05 am

If there was a spider in my room I wouldn't be.... though I do go near the tarantula tank at my friends house now.... til it moves - then I'm gone  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 8:06 am

If there was a spider in my room I wouldn't be.... though I do go near the tarantula tank at my friends house now.... til it moves - then I'm gone  ::)

You have tarantulas?  :o

Written By: AngeliK on 08/05/08 at 8:17 am

My friend does...  :-\\

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/05/08 at 11:37 am

Spiders don't freak me out.  Neither do mice or rats.  In fact I have two well adjusted pet rats.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 5:46 pm

Little Miss Muffet was.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/08 at 1:55 am

Not spiders but insects do.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/07/08 at 9:44 am

Spiders freak me out, but only if they get too close.  I can handle them across the room, but stay the heck away from me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/08 at 1:21 pm

The more the legs the more freaked you are?

Written By: Dagwood on 08/07/08 at 1:56 pm

It's not the amount of legs, it is the proximity to my personal space.

Check for new replies or respond here...