inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Razors and shaving.... Ladies!

Written By: Tam on 08/27/08 at 3:55 pm

For years I have sworn by the Schick Quattro system.
I loved it's 4 blade, pivoting head design (although I hated that it is pink) and I was sure no other blades would do it for me.

Boy - was I wrong!! :o

Last week I had to get razors, and unfortunately at the PX, they didn't carry the refills for my Quattro.
What was I going to do? I needed my refills and I needed to shave real bad!

Hubby walked down the aisle and picked up his refills, for his Head Blade and for his Gillette Mach3 Turbo, so I walked down with him. I noticed out of the corner of my eye, this cute little blue razor, only because my favorite color is blue, and so I picked it up to have a closer look.

I bought it, took it home and tried it out......

Ladies!!! I fell in love with the Gillette Venus Divine!!!

Granted, it only has 3 blades, but those three cut so close and so smooth, you don't even realize you are missing the 4th one. It's head pivots, just like other razors, and it has moisturizing strips and grip comfort, all the things some of us look for. But the kicker is how smooth and close the shave is that comes from the blades.

I have issues with my armpits, if I shave them too often, I get the bumps and nasties, so normally I can only shave every 3-4 days! I have shaved my pits every day for the last week with no problems! My legs, well the stubble has never been overly coarse, and so I shaved last Friday. It is now Wednesday and there is no sign of stubble!!! And bikini line!!!!! Piece of cake!

I can't believe I have gone without this razor for so long!

Of course, I know everybody swears by what they use, but if you get the chance and a have few extra dollars, give it a try. Only problem I have noticed is that the refills are slightly more than what I was paying for the Quattro, but if the shave is always going to be this good.... why not!

So, what are your favorites or recommendations for others?

Tam 8)

Subject: Re: Razors and shaving.... Ladies!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/08 at 3:58 pm

Hubby usually picks up packages of disposables-usually Bic. There are enough in the package for both of us. Though, there was one time when I got a package of Daisy-and yes, he used them.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/27/08 at 4:00 pm

For years I have sworn by the Schick Quattro system.
I loved it's 4 blade, pivoting head design (although I hated that it is pink) and I was sure no other blades would do it for me.

Boy - was I wrong!! :o

Last week I had to get razors, and unfortunately at the PX, they didn't carry the refills for my Quattro.
What was I going to do? I needed my refills and I needed to shave real bad!

Hubby walked down the aisle and picked up his refills, for his Head Blade and for his Gillette Mach3 Turbo, so I walked down with him. I noticed out of the corner of my eye, this cute little blue razor, only because my favorite color is blue, and so I picked it up to have a closer look.

I bought it, took it home and tried it out......

Ladies!!! I fell in love with the Gillette Venus Divine!!!

Granted, it only has 3 blades, but those three cut so close and so smooth, you don't even realize you are missing the 4th one. It's head pivots, just like other razors, and it has moisturizing strips and grip comfort, all the things some of us look for. But the kicker is how smooth and close the shave is that comes from the blades.

I have issues with my armpits, if I shave them too often, I get the bumps and nasties, so normally I can only shave every 3-4 days! I have shaved my pits every day for the last week with no problems! My legs, well the stubble has never been overly coarse, and so I shaved last Friday. It is now Wednesday and there is no sign of stubble!!! And bikini line!!!!! Piece of cake!

I can't believe I have gone without this razor for so long!

Of course, I know everybody swears by what they use, but if you get the chance and a have few extra dollars, give it a try. Only problem I have noticed is that the refills are slightly more than what I was paying for the Quattro, but if the shave is always going to be this good.... why not!

So, what are your favorites or recommendations for others?

Tam 8)

Lol you sound like you're ready to replace the hubby with the Venus... I discovered the wonders of the venus long ago....sorry I thought you were in the loop.

Written By: Tam on 08/27/08 at 4:05 pm

Hubby usually picks up packages of disposables-usually Bic. There are enough in the package for both of us. Though, there was one time when I got a package of Daisy-and yes, he used them.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I seriously cannot use Bic at all! They tear me up!!

Lol you sound like you're ready to replace the hubby with the Venus... I discovered the wonders of the venus long ago....sorry I thought you were in the loop.

Shoot! I wish I were in the loop then!! Quattro is nothing compared to Venus!!!
And of course I could never trade Hubby for the Venus..... although ??!!??!! ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 08/27/08 at 4:44 pm

I have a Venus and I love it.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/27/08 at 5:35 pm

I have the venus (both the blue original and the pink - new improved), the shick quatro - ladies, and the whatever with the soap all the way around the shaving head - I HATE THEM ALL  >:(

I Love :D my husbands Mach 3 (or an old faithful silver one). I swear the material in the handles is heavier and weighted more balanced and I do not get the nicks and cuts from them as I do mine.  (My legs can look like swiss cheese, or a bad horror flick on a good day).    I have never had the patience for shaving and been known to shave of a 3" strip of skin with a poor razor (NO BICs for me please).  I do not seem to have a problem with the mens razors.  I can not figure out any other differences besides the weight and heft difference. It's weird I know.

Written By: Jessica on 08/27/08 at 5:52 pm

I use the Schick Intuition.  I like the fact that I don't have to use shave gel with them, but the little conditioning bar surrounding the razor wears out at an odd angle, which does make for awkward shaving.  However, I don't shave a lot ('cos I'm a hippie and my leg hair is so light you can't tell anyways), so I don't really buy new razors all that often.  I might try the Venus Divine though when I run out of the Intuition.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/27/08 at 5:55 pm

Yeah, I've used the Mach 3 for years now.  I haven't tried the new version of it though.

I did try a new blue disposable kind that was cheap at the store, but I forget what they are...I will have to go check in the bathroom and revise my post later.

As for shaving cream/gel, I used to use foamy, now I just use shampoo or bath gel (whatever is handy)

edit: OK, As for disposable, I've recently tried these pretty blue ones fro Noxzema - Triple Blade (Winter Rescue Moisture Strips with extra Aloe Vera)  Winter?  Hmmmm...ok maybe I've haven't bought them for awhile.  ;D  They do the trick, and they are less expensive then Mach 3.

Written By: karen on 08/27/08 at 8:29 pm

I don't shave that often to be honest.  Probably have done it more since moving here and practically everyone shaves.  I use a battery razor.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/08 at 9:14 pm

I have used the Venus before...it's good stuff. I always shave while in the shower....usually I don't even use shaving gel or anything...I just use the running water from the shower. :D

Written By: wildcard on 08/27/08 at 9:56 pm

I just use disposible stuff.  I don't shave my legs often because I wear pants all the time. 

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/08 at 12:37 am

I just use disposible stuff.  I don't shave my legs often because I wear pants all the time. 

this thread reminded me it was about time for me to hit my legs... I'm not trying to grow socks or anything  ;D

Written By: NbC on 08/28/08 at 1:52 am

I have always purchased the least expensive (economy pack) disposable razor's available.  I am fortunate enough that I do not need to shave my legs but I do shave under my arms. 

My daughter shaves her legs and she has to use what is available.  I never realized that different brands really made a difference.  I have considered buying her an electronic women's shaver but reluctant since they are not cheap.  Anyone have any experience with those?  What is a good brand?

Written By: Gis on 08/28/08 at 3:12 am

Oh dear I just buy whatever is on offer or cheap, usually disposables. I have bic at the moment I think, it's pink anyway YUCK! I just use soap as well, not any kind of gel or anything. I'm lucky because my legs have about 20 hairs on them so I don't have to shave them very often..........

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/28/08 at 11:15 am

this thread reminded me it was about time for me to hit my legs... I'm not trying to grow socks or anything  ;D

I hear ya. I HATE to shave but do it when I really have to-which is about once a week or so (unless I have some function where I have to wear a dress/shorts.)

Cat

Written By: audkal on 08/31/08 at 9:17 pm

Somehow, I was mailed a free Venus from the company like 3 years ago--I've been hooked ever since!

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/31/08 at 10:58 pm

I've been using Venus for a couple of years now and I think it's great.

Written By: ninny on 09/01/08 at 6:58 am

For years I used an electric shavor. When Missy started shaving I bought her the blue Venus razor and I've been using them ever since.

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/08 at 8:41 pm

how come this topic isn't on the front page.... just kidding  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/08 at 10:58 am

how come this topic isn't on the front page.... just kidding  ;D

I did not receive my bribe.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tam on 09/02/08 at 11:37 am

How is it that everyone seemed to know about the Venus but me?
;D

At least I know about it now!!!

My mom and I talked about this and she uses the real cheap orange Bic's or whatever - and has always cut her legs up. I told her about the Venus, she went and bought one and is now completely in love with it too! Every woman needs a Venus!!! ;) 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/08 at 11:48 am

How is it that everyone seemed to know about the Venus but me?
;D

At least I know about it now!!!

My mom and I talked about this and she uses the real cheap orange Bic's or whatever - and has always cut her legs up. I told her about the Venus, she went and bought one and is now completely in love with it too! Every woman needs a Venus!!! ;) 8)

Not everyone. I didn't know. Going to the store today so maybe I will pick one up.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 09/03/08 at 8:02 am

I wonder if we have it over here in Australia? I'm sure my wife would appreciate such a marvel.....and I use cheap disposable razors, maybe it would improve my daily lot in life as well? 

I'll check it out.....

Written By: Tam on 09/04/08 at 11:07 am

I wonder if we have it over here in Australia? I'm sure my wife would appreciate such a marvel.....and I use cheap disposable razors, maybe it would improve my daily lot in life as well? 

I'll check it out.....

I looked for you and it appears that the men's Mach and Fusion are available in Australia, but the women's venus doesn't give a link. I guess it might not be available. Keep looking though. I know the Mach and Fusion are pretty good blades, or so my husband says! ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...