inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For the non-smokers

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/08 at 1:43 am

Within the last month or so I started smelling cigarette smoke a couple times a day...

Although there are people at my work who smoke, the first time I noticed this non of them were on duty. Also my mom smokes so I know the difference between the smoke smell of someone who is currently smoking and stale smoke... this smells like someone has come into a room and lit up right next to me. I was driving my trainee nuts trying to figure out where it came from.

I also started smelling it at home. My landlord doesn't smoke and I don't smoke we live on 1/3 of an acre of property. There are neighbors but not close enough that I'd smell their cigarette smoke.

I googled the symptom and found anything from sinus infection (most common) to brain tumor to ALS... I don't really think its the last two but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this phenomenon. 

Funny thing is I thought, and really I'm not crazy, but I thought I had a smoking ghost attached to me or something  ;D . It was nice to know other people have experienced it too.

Subject: Re: For the non-smokers

Written By: gibbo on 09/02/08 at 8:15 am

Can't help you with this problem Q...but I can offer a theory I have that you are the devil incarnate and are therefore on fire/smoking all the time.......Well, it's just a theory... :D ;)

Written By: ninny on 09/02/08 at 9:34 am

Within the last month or so I started smelling cigarette smoke a couple times a day...

Although there are people at my work who smoke, the first time I noticed this non of them were on duty. Also my mom smokes so I know the difference between the smoke smell of someone who is currently smoking and stale smoke... this smells like someone has come into a room and lit up right next to me. I was driving my trainee nuts trying to figure out where it came from.

I also started smelling it at home. My landlord doesn't smoke and I don't smoke we live on 1/3 of an acre of property. There are neighbors but not close enough that I'd smell their cigarette smoke.

I googled the symptom and found anything from sinus infection (most common) to brain tumor to ALS... I don't really think its the last two but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this phenomenon. 

Funny thing is I thought, and really I'm not crazy, but I thought I had a smoking ghost attached to me or something  ;D . It was nice to know other people have experienced it too.

That is interesting..I haven't smoked in over 25 years,but I swear sometimes when I cough I taste smoke..I don't really smell it,just taste it.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/02/08 at 3:42 pm

Snozzle I have wondered about this too, definitely. Several times at night when laying in bed I sometimes get a sickly whiff of cigarette smoke and wondered:

1. is the stream of smoke sneaking through the single glazed window frames from people passing outside?

2. is the stink coming from next door up through the floorboards from my neighbours? (when i asked my friend about this he laughed his head off at me,  pointing out i have brick walls from the ground level foundations to the roof)  
ok  :-[   (plus they don't smoke)

3.  paranormal phenomena?

4. am i just neurotic and imagining it   ;D  

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/08 at 4:44 pm

Can't help you with this problem Q...but I can offer a theory I have that you are the devil incarnate and are therefore on fire/smoking all the time.......Well, it's just a theory... :D ;)

You're an ass...but the good kind of ass...

what I got out of your post is that you think that I am Smokin' Hot!  That's it right?  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/08 at 4:46 pm

Snozzle I have wondered about this too, definitely. Several times at night when laying in bed I sometimes get a sickly whiff of cigarette smoke and wondered:

1. is the stream of smoke sneaking through the single glazed window frames from people passing outside?

2. is the stink coming from next door up through the floorboards from my neighbours? (when i asked my friend about this he laughed his head off at me,  pointing out i have brick walls from the ground level foundations to the roof) 
ok  :-[  (plus they don't smoke)

3.  paranormal phenomena?

4. am i just neurotic and imagining it  ;D 

;D  at least I'm not alone. Coupled with some not so happy symptoms I am feeling right now I called for a Drs appt....unfortunately they can't see me until 9/12.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/08 at 6:41 pm

My friend Kamika smokes but it doesn't really bother me as much as it used to a long time ago.Basically,most people at Pathmark smoke (and that includes customers too).

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/02/08 at 10:48 pm

*snip*

Weird. 

I've experienced the same thing, but am reasonably sure it was a case of a neighbor smoking in the same condo complex as the one I was living in.  No sound for months/weeks, then sound from someone moving in.  No smells, then every 24 hours, at about the time someone with a long commute might come home from work, 15 minutes of faint smoke.  In my case, I believe it oozes in through the air ventilation system; the ducts for the fans over the stoves in the complex presumably share a common exhaust vent.  Confirmation in my case came from a mention about smoke odors in the minutes of an HOA meeting a few weeks after I started smelling things.

You've eliminated many of the obvious causes, but Occam's razor still hints that either your landlord (or one of his friends/guests, or he/she has another client you don't know about) is the source at home, and random customers are the sources at work, and perhaps you're noticing them more often than usual because you're thinking about it.  Or it's a sinus infection.

Let's try an experiment:  Wait another month to reduce the odds that it's a sinus infection.  Log the times at which you smell smoke.  If you smell it regularly, that might be a clue.  If you smell it at random times, but you smell it every day, go on a road trip for a day.  Just you, at least one non-smoker for a travleing companion, a car in which nobody's smoked, and a smoke-free destination (anything from a restaurant to a hiking trail) that's a few hours' drive out of town.  The companion's optional, but useful -- if the smoke smell shows up on the road trip, you can ask your traveling companions if they smell it too. 

If you smell nothing on the road trip, you've had a good day and confirmed it's something local to your home or workplace.

If you smell something on the road trip, and your companion(s) also smelling it, it's real smoke from some guy who's having a smoke in your vicinity.

If you smell something on the road trip, and your companion(s) don't, then it gets interesting.  Repeat the experiment a couple of times (vary your destination and add more/different companions) and if you can replicate it every time, call your doctor, tell him you've got a potentially interesting story, describe the experiments you performed, the results you observed, and ask him what else you might have overlooked.

When you hear the thundering of hooves, it's best to assume it's a herd of horses, but sometimes it is zebras.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/08 at 11:01 pm

You've eliminated many of the obvious causes, but Occam's razor still hints that either your landlord (or one of his friends/guests, or he/she has another client you don't know about) is the source at home, and random customers are the sources at work, and perhaps you're noticing them more often than usual because you're thinking about it.  Or it's a sinus infection.

I can guarantee it's not coming from my landlord. She has a smoke allergy and forbids smoking on her property. I had to sign an agreement that my guests would go off site if they planned to smoke...she won't even let them smoke on her patio so I know that's not it.  also neither of us have a whole lot of guests here.

And at work, I don't deal with a lot of customers. I work in a closed, climate controlled dispatch center most of my customers are handled over the phone.  There are 4 people at my work place who smoke but none of them were on duty when I smelled the smoke and the smell I have is very strong as if there is a person standing next to me puffing away.... not the faint or stale odor you get from someone who smoked hours ago.

good idea about getting out of my environment. I have been out of the house more than I normally am and try not to frequent the same spots.  I have checked on the time of occurrence but it's currently 2100 hours so we can mark that one down as I have been smelling smoke since I typed "there are 4 people..."

thanks for the advice.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/03/08 at 3:02 am

I can guarantee it's not coming from my landlord. She has a smoke allergy and forbids smoking on her property. 

Dig.  I just couldn't make that assumption without that post.  (My first assumption was that the landlord or a relative of the landlord was smoking and pretending to ignore it, which I can now safely scratch off the list of possibilities :)

If you go the road trip route, let us know how it turns out.  I'm shifting my bets to 60% sinus infection that goes away within a month, 30% some environmental factor that you'll eliminate with a road trip, 9% something that I haven't thought of, and 1% some weird exotic condition.

Written By: snozberries on 09/03/08 at 12:25 pm

Dig.  I just couldn't make that assumption without that post.  (My first assumption was that the landlord or a relative of the landlord was smoking and pretending to ignore it, which I can now safely scratch off the list of possibilities :)

If you go the road trip route, let us know how it turns out.  I'm shifting my bets to 60% sinus infection that goes away within a month, 30% some environmental factor that you'll eliminate with a road trip, 9% something that I haven't thought of, and 1% some weird exotic condition.

I love it are we taking odds I want to put money on the sinus infection!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/04/08 at 2:28 am

I love it are we taking odds I want to put money on the sinus infection!

You and me both.  If it's random smokers near you, you can't guarantee any way to isolate yourself from 'em.  If it's anything worse, well, your doctor will make a few bucks and learn something new, but it's gonna suck for you (and us on the board).  The sinus infection, on the other hand, even if it doesn't go away on its own, can be confirmed with a doctor's visit (and a nasal swab) and if the swab comes back positive, can be dealt with pretty easily with a course of antibiotics.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/04/08 at 11:48 am

for the non-smokers..

I sometimes smell random perfume too..stuff I don't wear myself

Written By: Howard on 09/04/08 at 3:51 pm

for the non-smokers..

I sometimes smell random perfume too..stuff I don't wear myself

I smell that too on this worker at Pathmark,Queen Bitch I call her,wears perfume,smokes and has the scent of hairspray she must've taken a bath in it. :P ::)

Written By: gibbo on 09/04/08 at 5:20 pm

what I got out of your post is that you think that I am Smokin' Hot!  That's it right?   ;D

That's it exactly.....I just had a devil of a time expressing it....... ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/05/08 at 8:36 am

I smell that too on this worker at Pathmark,Queen Bitch I call her,wears perfume,smokes and has the scent of hairspray she must've taken a bath in it. :P ::)

this faint smell of perfume actually occurs when I'm lying in bed though, it's kinda spooky

urghh yeah I know that kind of heavy oversprayed smell stench, spray perfume to try an disguise the odour of the ciggy smoke   :P :P
The guy i work with has that 'just finished a tab smell' on his breath and loves to come right next to me at 7am each day so i can sample it as we chat   ::) :P ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/05/08 at 3:40 pm

this faint smell of perfume actually occurs when I'm lying in bed though, it's kinda spooky

urghh yeah I know that kind of heavy oversprayed smell stench, spray perfume to try an disguise the odour of the ciggy smoke   :P :P
The guy i work with has that 'just finished a tab smell' on his breath and loves to come right next to me at 7am each day so i can sample it as we chat   ::) :P ::)

Does he wear a large amount of cologne too? ???

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/06/08 at 9:02 am

Does he wear a large amount of cologne too? ???

no,  but i wish he'd start eating mints  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/08 at 9:35 am

no,  but i wish he'd start eating mints   :P
Can the mints be forced fed?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/06/08 at 12:59 pm

Can the mints be forced fed?

actually...

;D

Written By: Howard on 09/06/08 at 6:50 pm

no,  but i wish he'd start eating mints   :P

But what if I wanted to kiss my friend Kamika,should I ask her to put a mint in her mouth or would that offend her since she smokes? ???

Written By: snozberries on 09/06/08 at 6:55 pm

But what if I wanted to kiss my friend Kamika,should I ask her to put a mint in her mouth or would that offend her since she smokes? ???

yeah howard, asking someone to pop a mint is kind of offensive. What you do is at sometime before you decide you want kiss her pop one yourself and then offer one to her too....if she takes it, most people do take mints when they're offered, cool if not then you are SOL and have to decide just how badly you want to kiss her...

OR get her something tasty to try, like a piece of fruit or a slurpee that way she'll taste like that and there's no need for a discussion on mints.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/08 at 7:06 pm

yeah howard, asking someone to pop a mint is kind of offensive. What you do is at sometime before you decide you want kiss her pop one yourself and then offer one to her too....if she takes it, most people do take mints when they're offered, cool if not then you are SOL and have to decide just how badly you want to kiss her...

OR get her something tasty to try, like a piece of fruit or a slurpee that way she'll taste like that and there's no need for a discussion on mints.

Yeah,Thanks Snoz,I've been used to smelling cigarette smoke since an old friend of mine smokes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/08 at 4:14 am

actually...

;D
...too good to hurry ?

Written By: Howard on 09/07/08 at 6:27 am

Has anyone ever kissed a smoker on the mouth?  ???

Written By: gibbo on 09/07/08 at 7:20 am

Sorry, I only ever kissed smokers on the elbow!

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/08 at 11:53 am

Sorry, I only ever kissed smokers on the elbow!

and here I always suspected you were kissing their ass

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/07/08 at 2:16 pm

sometimes if that person is totally irresistibly gorgeous to you often the stench of smoke becomes unnoticable in the heat of the moment.  I always swore down I would never date a guy who smoked, but made an exception with my last boyfriend, as he was total perfection in my eyes    ::)

ahem
:-[

nice tip Snozberries

Written By: gibbo on 09/07/08 at 4:18 pm

and here I always suspected you were kissing their ass

Are you picking on ME?  ;D  You don't want to go there......girlie! 8)

Written By: Howard on 09/07/08 at 7:13 pm

sometimes if that person is totally irresistibly gorgeous to you often the stench of smoke becomes unnoticable in the heat of the moment.  I always swore down I would never date a guy who smoked, but made an exception with my last boyfriend, as he was total perfection in my eyes    ::)

ahem
:-[

nice tip Snozberries

What you could do is to hold your nose while you kiss that person.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/08/08 at 1:24 am

what I got out of your post is that you think that I am Smokin' Hot!  That's it right?   ;D

Vanessa Kensington: "Do you smoke after sex?"

Austin Powers: "I don't know, baby, I never looked!"  :o :o :o

Written By: snozberries on 09/08/08 at 1:35 am

hold the nose while kissing someone and it's the last time you'll ever kiss....and probably see them again.

Written By: gibbo on 09/08/08 at 4:13 am

That's where I always went wrong...I held HER nose!  :D

Written By: Gis on 09/08/08 at 4:55 am

Howard when you kiss a smoker it's not the smell that's the problem it's the taste.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/08 at 5:56 am

hold the nose while kissing someone and it's the last time you'll ever kiss....and probably see them again.

So I'm guessing you ignore the smell.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/08/08 at 8:20 am

Oh man Howie, just ask her to 'open wide' and spray a blast of mouth freshener into her mouth..I'm sure she'll get the hint that way  ;D

The last few posts on this thread are flippin' hilarious, thanx for the laughs folks  ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/08/08 at 4:31 pm

Oh man Howie, just ask her to 'open wide' and spray a blast of mouth freshener into her mouth..I'm sure she'll get the hint that way   ;D

The last few posts on this thread are flippin' hilarious, thanx for the laughs folks   ;D ;D

No,that'll insult her,I'll just kiss an ashtray anyway. ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/10/08 at 12:45 pm

No,that'll insult her,I'll just kiss an ashtray anyway. ;D

ok I'm not gonna pussyfoot round this issue Howie, her having stinking breath is insulting to you, don't you get that?  Goddddddd    ::)
As a smoker, and to you as a non-smoker, she should be considerate enough to suss that out anyway, especially if kissing is gonna be a part of the deal here..

here we go with another load of relationship dilemmas.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/08 at 6:47 pm

ok I'm not gonna pussyfoot round this issue Howie, her having stinking breath is insulting to you, don't you get that?  Goddddddd    ::)
As a smoker, and to you as a non-smoker, she should be considerate enough to suss that out anyway, especially if kissing is gonna be a part of the deal here..

here we go with another load of relationship dilemmas.

Sorry,I won't make her stinky breath an issue anymore.  :(

Written By: karen on 09/11/08 at 9:29 am

Sorry,I won't make her stinky breath an issue anymore.  :(

Howard

since you haven't actually even managed to ask her for coffee yet wondering and worrying about kissing her seems a little premature to me.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/08 at 9:41 am

Howard

since you haven't actually even managed to ask her for coffee yet wondering and worrying about kissing her seems a little premature to me.

Yeah,I'll worry about it when the time comes.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/11/08 at 10:08 am

Howard

I know...   ;D :D ;D

Sorry,I won't make her stinky breath an issue anymore.  :(

Just go for it man!!

Written By: Howard on 09/11/08 at 6:56 pm

I know...   ;D :D ;D

Just go for it man!!

Well if she'd stop blabbing on her cell phone most of the time or talking with some workers I'd have some time with her to talk. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 09/12/08 at 12:46 am

Howard

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/saltydavid/hammer.jpg

Written By: gibbo on 09/12/08 at 2:33 am

Is that Maxwell's silver hammer?  Look out kamika...... :o

Written By: Howard on 09/12/08 at 6:34 am

Is that Maxwell's silver hammer?  Look out kamika...... :o

I'm not that type of person who'd use a hammer on her,I'm not an abusive person.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/08 at 6:34 am

What does this picture mean? ???

Written By: gibbo on 09/12/08 at 6:40 am

I'm not that type of person who'd use a hammer on her,I'm not an abusive person.

Good to know....If you were you'd have to wear a different mask....

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/pwrglyde/HalloweenMoviePoster.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/12/08 at 6:41 am

Good to know....If you were you'd have to wear a different mask....

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/pwrglyde/HalloweenMoviePoster.jpg

I'll wear that mask while doing carts on Halloween and I'll smear some blood capsules on them. ;D

Written By: gibbo on 09/12/08 at 6:42 am

It means that Karen hit the nail right on the head........ or she was exactly right.

Written By: gibbo on 09/12/08 at 6:44 am

I'll wear that mask while doing carts on Halloween and I'll smear some blood capsules on them. ;D

We call them trolleys over here.....abd if you did that on Halloween then you'd have to cart the bodies away after they faint!!! :D

Written By: Howard on 09/12/08 at 6:57 am

We call them trolleys over here.....abd if you did that on Halloween then you'd have to cart the bodies away after they faint!!! :D

I'd put them on display in Pathmark. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/14/08 at 12:50 pm

It means that Karen hit the nail right on the head........ or she was exactly right.

Thanks Peter... I thought the pic spoke for itself....guess not. 

It's good to know you wouldn't use the hammer on Kamika Howard.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/08 at 4:16 pm

I think Pathmark should look into those sand ashtrays,us non-smokers shouldn't have to endure the smell of smoke.

Written By: snozberries on 09/14/08 at 4:23 pm

I think Pathmark should look into those sand ashtrays,us non-smokers shouldn't have to endure the smell of smoke.

I think smoking should only be legal in your home and in your car. Why do I have to breath in your pollution when we're both outside just because you want to smoke  >:(

Written By: Howard on 09/14/08 at 4:26 pm

I think smoking should only be legal in your home and in your car. Why do I have to breath in your pollution when we're both outside just because you want to smoke  >:(

Customers and workers are constantly flickering their butts on the sidewalk and street area and we're constantly sweeping up the crap. >:(

Written By: snozberries on 09/14/08 at 4:28 pm

Customers and workers are constantly flickering their butts on the sidewalk and street area and we're constantly sweeping up the crap. >:(

that sucks

Written By: Howard on 09/14/08 at 4:31 pm

that sucks

Plus you got a lot of beer and alcohol bottles over there,because right across the street is a Liquor place. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...