inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For the smokers

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/08 at 1:55 am

Why do you smoke?

What do you get out of it?

How did you start?

Do you want or wish you could quit...

and if you quit... CAT... how do you feel

I smoked maybe 8 to 15 cigarettes in my life... I tried it in high school to be cool but couldn't get taste for it.  I would have one when I drinking.... okay drunk but don't think I ever fully inhaled....

except that time in San Diego when the combination of cigarette smoke and alcohol poisoning made me hurl something fierce. I never touched a cigarette since and can't stand the smell of them. Which makes my current problem...see the other thread...all the more frustrating!

Subject: Re: For the smokers

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/08 at 3:22 pm

I am coming up to 11 months. I have to say that I STILL miss it-A LOT!!! I confess that I have always enjoyed smoking. I even enjoy the smell-I know, I very weird. Even now, I walk by someone who is smoking and I just start sniffing the air.

I started when I was 12 (yeah, I know.  :-[ ).  My sister smoked and she gave me my very first cig. She did quit about 10 years ago or so and has been bugging me to quit ever since.

For all you non-smokers out there, you have to understand that smoking is an addiction-like any other kind of addiction. It is not easy to give up. I have heard people say that it is easier giving up alcohol than it is giving up cigs. There is always a chance that you can fall off the wagon-I know, because I did. I quit once before way back in the dark ages for about 2 and a half years and then I got drunk one night and started back up again. I didn't start back up right away but it was a gradual thing and the next thing I knew, I was smoking full time again. I also know that it can happen again-and I think I am extra vulnerable because I have always enjoyed it and really didn't want to quit-but knew I HAD to. It is something that I have to deal with everyday. It is getting better. Some days I don't even think about it-which is good. The time when it really hits me is right after dinner. Both of us also had a tough time driving half way across country. Before, we would smoke A LOT on our long trips (not much else to do on long trips). But now... :-\\  I think I am doing good. I have come this far and the quit net does help.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/08 at 4:49 pm

I am coming up to 11 months. I have to say that I STILL miss it-A LOT!!! I confess that I have always enjoyed smoking. I even enjoy the smell-I know, I very weird. Even now, I walk by someone who is smoking and I just start sniffing the air.

I started when I was 12 (yeah, I know.  :-[ ).  My sister smoked and she gave me my very first cig. She did quit about 10 years ago or so and has been bugging me to quit ever since.

For all you non-smokers out there, you have to understand that smoking is an addiction-like any other kind of addiction. It is not easy to give up. I have heard people say that it is easier giving up alcohol than it is giving up cigs. There is always a chance that you can fall off the wagon-I know, because I did. I quit once before way back in the dark ages for about 2 and a half years and then I got drunk one night and started back up again. I didn't start back up right away but it was a gradual thing and the next thing I knew, I was smoking full time again. I also know that it can happen again-and I think I am extra vulnerable because I have always enjoyed it and really didn't want to quit-but knew I HAD to. It is something that I have to deal with everyday. It is getting better. Some days I don't even think about it-which is good. The time when it really hits me is right after dinner. Both of us also had a tough time driving half way across country. Before, we would smoke A LOT on our long trips (not much else to do on long trips). But now... :-\\  I think I am doing good. I have come this far and the quit net does help.

Cat

I think you're doing excellent Cat... and I know it's a struggle. I just wonder where the pleasure lies because I never found any in it...maybe I was doing it wrong all along.  ;D

I don't remember when I had my first cig. I think I snuck em as kid when the 'rents weren't looking and then tried again in high school  Smoke rings always fascinated me.. . yeah I was a pretty stupid kid...so for me the idea of smoking was more about making smoke rings than anything... I sucked at that about as bad as I sucked at smoking.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/02/08 at 5:05 pm

I tried to smoke once, my lips got in the way.  (They're HUGE) ;D    I was blessed in having a hard time breathing in smoke (dad used to smoke like a chimney in family car trips) so I think that was enough for me to only try to smoke once because I, too, wanted to be cool.  Oh well.  :-[

Dad finally quit smoking after I  moved out of the house.  I'm very proud of him.  Although I think he's a bit more crabby now (don't know if it's because of the no-smoking or just ageing..  ;D )

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/08 at 11:25 pm

I tried to smoke once, my lips got in the way.  (They're HUGE) ;D    I was blessed in having a hard time breathing in smoke (dad used to smoke like a chimney in family car trips) so I think that was enough for me to only try to smoke once because I, too, wanted to be cool.  Oh well.   :-[

Dad finally quit smoking after I  moved out of the house.  I'm very proud of him.  Although I think he's a bit more crabby now (don't know if it's because of the no-smoking or just ageing..  ;D )

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...