inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Portable mp3 Players

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/08 at 8:59 am

Anyone have one? 

I recently caved and purhcased a Sony WALKMAN 4GB Digital Media Player.  It's smaller than an iPod, which I like, and does the same thing:  videos, photos and music

The salesman at Sony Style told me that for an extra $50, I could get a larger framed model, that also holds 4GB and comes with better headphones.  I don't need a bigger screen, and I already have expensive DJ style headphones, so I am good to go.  It took me over 3 hours to figure out how to make it compatible with my computer, and about another half hour to figure out how to get album covers to upload with the mp3's.  Now that I know what I'm doing, it's smooth sailing all the way ... 8)

Subject: Re: Portable mp3 Players

Written By: Jessica on 09/08/08 at 11:06 am

Still have my 4G iPod mini from three years ago.  And phooey on them for saying that the battery only lasts a year.  I'm still running on the original one, although the charge is getting a bit shorter.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/08 at 1:42 pm

Still have my 4G iPod mini from three years ago.  And phooey on them for saying that the battery only lasts a year.  I'm still running on the original one, although the charge is getting a bit shorter.

It would also depend on how much you use it though?

Written By: Jessica on 09/08/08 at 4:31 pm

It would also depend on how much you use it though?

Five or six days a week for at least three hours a day.

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/08/08 at 4:46 pm

I have a creative vision m with 30gb,had it for almost 2 years and i love it. Never changed battery and i use it every single day. Another upside is that you don't have to convert anything,it supports every type of file and the screen is super clear.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/08 at 5:00 pm

Five or six days a week for at least three hours a day.

That's a good long battery life indeed

Written By: karen on 09/08/08 at 7:14 pm

My daughter keeps asking about having an ipod or something as a Christmas present.  But Dai and I are reluctant to buy one because we don't understand how easy/hard it is to put the music on it.  :-[

Can someone explain please?  My niece tried but she got too technical too quickly!

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/08/08 at 7:21 pm

I still have my 4GB iPod nano from a couple of years ago. I might invest in another one with more GB's soon.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/08 at 9:35 pm

My daughter keeps asking about having an ipod or something as a Christmas present.  But Dai and I are reluctant to buy one because we don't understand how easy/hard it is to put the music on it.   :-[

Can someone explain please?  My niece tried but she got too technical too quickly!

I can't speak for iPods, but the Sony one that I have is a simply drag and drop procedure.  Just drag the songs from your Windows Explorer into the program that comes with the mp3 player.  I would assume the iPod works the same way, though I know with iPods, you need to have iTunes, which comes with it I believe

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/09/08 at 12:44 am

I'm gonna plug the old Sandisk Sansa e280.  These have come way down in price recently.

Good:  8GB, flash-based.  Also has a 2GB micro-SD expansion slot.

Bad:  It's micro-SD, not micro-SDHC, so no expansion cards larger than 2GB.

Bad:  No gapless playback.

Awesome (at least for those of us who run more than one OS at home):  It can easily be configured to act like a USB mass storage device.  When in this mode, it works the same way on Linux, Mac, and Windows.  Plug device in, drag files onto the device, unplug device, wait a minute for it to rescan the files, and it's running.  If you use it as a thumbdrive, it just skips over files that aren't MP3s.  Sweet.

The user interface isn't perfect, but it's adequate for most uses.  It's also been hacked to support Rockbox firmware, so if you really don't like  the stock UI, you can always roll your own :)

Two sites worth reading for reviews of any portable music/video device are Anything But Ipod and DAP Review.

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/09/08 at 12:59 am

whats the biggest gig size made?
I'd need a 60gig to fit it all!

Written By: karen on 09/09/08 at 7:53 am

I can't speak for iPods, but the Sony one that I have is a simply drag and drop procedure.  Just drag the songs from your Windows Explorer into the program that comes with the mp3 player.  I would assume the iPod works the same way, though I know with iPods, you need to have iTunes, which comes with it I believe

See this sentence lost me.  My music isn't in Windows Explorer, it's either on CD or vinyl!

Written By: Tia on 09/09/08 at 8:21 am

See this sentence lost me.  My music isn't in Windows Explorer, it's either on CD or vinyl!
you can burn your cds really easy. vinyl's a little trickier but there are ways you can do that too.

Written By: karen on 09/09/08 at 8:31 am

you can burn your cds really easy. vinyl's a little trickier but there are ways you can do that too.

Well I did once melt a 45 by leaving it in the window so I'm sure burning them will be a doddle.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/08 at 9:35 pm

There are freeware programs you can get that can burn CDs.  Apparently Windows Media Player 10 and 11 can do it as well, but I haven't tried it.  I use a crappy program called CDex that I found on download.com

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/10/08 at 10:42 pm

^Yeah I have Windows Mediaplayer on here, and I just burn all the songs I even remotely like from CDs and use that as my playlist. Along with songs I've downloaded from Limewire and stuff. As old-school as I am, I cant imagine listening to music any other way now. It's so nice not having to scan through the radio or keep switching CDs/tapes. I only do that once in awhile now.

Yeah, basically just download iTunes, then upload your media player's playlist (it'll probably take awhile, since it has to convert those files into MP3's) and agree to the terms of service and it should be fine.

4GBs is a great amount (I have a nano too), that's like 920 songs or so. I like more than that, but it's perfect for like a "best of". :)

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/10/08 at 11:39 pm

From the death of the "Bone Phone" comes similar technology!
http://www.finisinc.com/products-swimp3.shtml

"Pickin up good vibrations!!!! 8)

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/09 at 11:16 am

When I first bought my Sony, I had wanted a Microsoft Zune, but they were $149 for a 4GB.  I was in FUTURE SHOP yesterday and they had the 8GBs (with a free arm band) on sale for $99, so I am now the proud owner of a Zune and I love it so much!

They are so much better than the Sony, but maybe not as good as an Ipod (which doesn't matter to me because I don't like Apple Technology at all).

A comparison between the Sony Walkman and the Microsoft Zune

MICROSOFT ZUNE:
http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/zune.jpg

♦ You can set a picture as your background image
♦ To delete a file, you can view a visual folder of the files on the device, and select multiple ones to remove
♦ If you add multiple songs to an album title, they all will have the same album cover (Not a big fan of this, but I will get used to it)
♦ You can click the main button to scroll, but it also has a touch interface
♦ Instant response time when the screen goes into sleep mode
♦ When you disconnect it from the computer, the player goes to the menu screen instantly.
♦ You need the Zune software to transfer files to the device.
♦ Wireless interface:  You can connect to the Zune network and share content with other Zune users
♦ Auto populates album and track information (if available)

SONY WALKMAN:
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sony-walkman-nw-e.jpg

♦ You can't put a picture as a background image
♦ To delete a file, you have to scroll through a single list of the files in the order which you added them
♦ You can add multiple songs to the same album title and give them each a different album cover (This feature I liked)
♦ No touch interface.  You have to click the main button to scroll
♦ You have to wait about a second for the screen to come back on from sleep mode
♦ When you disconnect the device from the computer, you have to wait about 3-5 seconds for the device to load to the menu screen
♦ You can use Windows Media Player to transfer songs to the device.  It does come with a Content Transfer program that makes it easier though
♦ No wireless interface
♦ Does not auto populate album info.  Each song has to be edited manually, or the songs and artists will show up as "unknown"

Written By: Michael C. on 05/24/09 at 11:47 pm

Added some music to My MP3 player this afternoon.....
The Allman Brothers
Edwyn Collins
Los Bravos
Lesley Gore
Penny McLean
The Electric Hellfire Club
38 Special

Written By: Michael C. on 05/31/09 at 12:39 pm

The Zune sounds to be the better choice....

When I first bought my Sony, I had wanted a Microsoft Zune, but they were $149 for a 4GB.  I was in FUTURE SHOP yesterday and they had the 8GBs (with a free arm band) on sale for $99, so I am now the proud owner of a Zune and I love it so much!

They are so much better than the Sony, but maybe not as good as an Ipod (which doesn't matter to me because I don't like Apple Technology at all).

A comparison between the Sony Walkman and the Microsoft Zune

MICROSOFT ZUNE:
http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/zune.jpg

♦ You can set a picture as your background image
♦ To delete a file, you can view a visual folder of the files on the device, and select multiple ones to remove
♦ If you add multiple songs to an album title, they all will have the same album cover (Not a big fan of this, but I will get used to it)
♦ You can click the main button to scroll, but it also has a touch interface
♦ Instant response time when the screen goes into sleep mode
♦ When you disconnect it from the computer, the player goes to the menu screen instantly.
♦ You need the Zune software to transfer files to the device.
♦ Wireless interface:  You can connect to the Zune network and share content with other Zune users
♦ Auto populates album and track information (if available)

SONY WALKMAN:
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sony-walkman-nw-e.jpg

♦ You can't put a picture as a background image
♦ To delete a file, you have to scroll through a single list of the files in the order which you added them
♦ You can add multiple songs to the same album title and give them each a different album cover (This feature I liked)
♦ No touch interface.  You have to click the main button to scroll
♦ You have to wait about a second for the screen to come back on from sleep mode
♦ When you disconnect the device from the computer, you have to wait about 3-5 seconds for the device to load to the menu screen
♦ You can use Windows Media Player to transfer songs to the device.  It does come with a Content Transfer program that makes it easier though
♦ No wireless interface
♦ Does not auto populate album info.  Each song has to be edited manually, or the songs and artists will show up as "unknown"

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/05/09 at 2:35 pm

I'm on my 3rd mp3 player in 3 years.

I had an iRiver 2GB, which couldn't handle the rigors of my last job and eventually crapped out on me.

I had a 10GB Zune that I bought from a friend for $100, but I dropped it one day and it didn't work right after that.

Around Christmas last year I went to a Circuit City going out of business sale and they were selling 8GB Samsungs for $80 (they were normally $120) so I went for it, and it's worked fine for me.

But it doesn't matter, I think they'll be obsolete within the next few years, because everyone's phones will have mp3 players built in (same goes with GPS units).

Really, I wish that some company would get away from the whole cell phone concept and design an iPhone type unit that you can wear on your wrist.

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/09 at 3:33 pm

But it doesn't matter, I think they'll be obsolete within the next few years, because everyone's phones will have mp3 players built in (same goes with GPS units).

I hope not.  People like me, who have no use for a cell phone and just want the device to playing music, will be at a loss :(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/06/09 at 12:04 am

I hope not.  People like me, who have no use for a cell phone and just want the device to playing music, will be at a loss :(

Yeah, you're right.

I love my mp3 player. As crummy as the culture has gotten in the 2000's, if there's one thing I like about being alive in this era it's that I get to have an mp3 player.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/07/09 at 1:37 pm

I added some new tunes to My MP3:
10cc - The Things We Do For Love
Mark Lindsay - Arizona
The Supremes - Up the Ladder to the Roof
Melissa Manchester - Midnight Blue
Peggy Lipton's 1968 album

Written By: Criz on 06/10/09 at 12:11 pm

I have 16gb nano-chromatic ipod (black - gotta be the classic colour!). I use it every day and I could not live without it - it's soo strange to say that. However - even before mp3s I would carry around my Sony CD discman and about 10 CDs everywhere I went, so you could say I've always been pretty obsessed with my portable music!

I had one of the first version ipod nanos previously but only bought the new one beacuse I needed more space. My old one still works perfectly well and I have never had any problems with it so I agree the previous comment about the fact that they're long lasting if you take care of them. I've given it to my boyfriend now so the only annoying thing with itunes is mananging our seperate playlists on it because we don't have a lot of the same taste!

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/09 at 10:59 am

I have a creative nomad 40GB I bought it when I couldn't afford an ipod. Its about the size of a sony walkman... one of those cassette walkmans but I love it.

but then they came out with Video Ipod so I got the 80gb... I want a bigger one but I can't afford it right now...

I also want the newest iphone!  even tho I have the last version... what can I say I love technology!

Written By: Michael C. on 06/27/09 at 11:09 am

Added more songs to My MP3 player last night;
AC/DC -If You Want Blood
Led Zep - Fool In The Rain
David Bowie- Putting Out Fire With Gasoline {Cat People}
And, My 2 Fav Jackson 5 songs:
The Love You Save
Maybe Tomorrow

I added some new tunes to My MP3:
10cc - The Things We Do For Love
Mark Lindsay - Arizona
The Supremes - Up the Ladder to the Roof
Melissa Manchester - Midnight Blue
Peggy Lipton's 1968 album

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/09 at 11:11 am

I was just re-reading the thread title... so... um.... are there stationary (or non portable) Mp3 players that I'm not aware of?  ???

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/10 at 7:28 am

Incidentally, I have ordered the new Archos7 (320 Gb) internet tablet from Play.com. Should be delivered anytime soon and I am so excited. My job requires me to keep my brain active while I do something automatic for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_7/index.html?country=lu&lang=en

Written By: Gis on 02/21/10 at 4:28 am

I managed to kill 3 MP3 players, no idea how, I looked after them really well. Himself got one before me and has dropped it and it's even been through the washer and still works!

I now have an I-pod nano..............

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/22/10 at 3:40 pm

The only mp3 player I have is one I got way back in 1999.  A huge 32 Meg of built in memory (about one small album worth of music). Can't say I used it much.  Still pretty neat at the time.

I have way too many mp3s to carry them all around with me which is why I started to work on a smaller collection I could put on a player if I ever broke down and bought one.  

I doubt what I want for a player is even being made currently.  I want a unit with no less than 40 Gb of storage and a really good shuffle play.  I just want something that keeps track of what has been played and doesn't repeat the same track until the rest have been played.  No real need for a display screen or even be portable since I just want it for the car.  I was looking at car cd players that allow you to add a hard drive.  A couple max out at less than 5,000 tracks (despite the drive size) and I know I need to access around 6,500 tracks.

Written By: whistledog on 02/22/10 at 9:18 pm

The only mp3 player I have is one I got way back in 1999.  A huge 32 Meg of built in memory (about one small album worth of music). Can't say I used it much.  Still pretty neat at the time.

Does it require a AAA battery?  I got an egg shaped one called the Yepp that has 32 MB.  Got it before iPods took off

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/23/10 at 10:39 am

Does it require a AAA battery?  I got an egg shaped one called the Yepp that has 32 MB.  Got it before iPods took off

it sure does...

Rave MP 2000  this was the more expensive model.  I don't even know if it works with Windows XP it's been so long since I even bothered to use it.

I'm usually listening to music in either the car or when I'm working on a computer, so portable players are kind of unnecessary for me.

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/10 at 3:41 pm

it sure does...

Rave MP 2000  this was the more expensive model.  I don't even know if it works with Windows XP it's been so long since I even bothered to use it.

I'm usually listening to music in either the car or when I'm working on a computer, so portable players are kind of unnecessary for me.

Holy crap that thing is huge.  Is that picture (when enlarged) actual size?  It is kind of sleek looking.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/25/10 at 3:10 pm

Holy crap that thing is huge.  Is that picture (when enlarged) actual size?  It is kind of sleek looking.

I think the picture is bigger than the actual unit.  It's a little smaller than a cassette.

Check for new replies or respond here...