inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 360* Lunar Rainbow?

Written By: Red Ant on 10/13/08 at 10:44 pm

I don't know if weather conditions are right elsewhere, but as of 11:35 est there is a full lunar rainbow on display here in VA. My guess is fog, clear skies and a really bright full moon make it. I tried to get a pic with the cell cam, but it doesn't pick up the rainbow part.  :(

I've seen many moon "halos", but never one with a full prismatic dispersion in that halo. Even in the dark, it's possible to see the full spectrum of colors, all 360* around the moon.

I couldn't find a pic on Google that looks what I see right now. Hopefully someone with a better cam or recorder will get it and post it on YouTube in the next few days.

Ant

Subject: Re: 360* Lunar Rainbow?

Written By: karen on 10/13/08 at 10:54 pm

Just a normal full moon here.  :\'(

There's a bit of a stub on wiki about the phenomenom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_dog

Perhaps this has a similar pic?

Written By: Red Ant on 10/13/08 at 11:09 pm

Just a normal full moon here.  :\'(

There's a bit of a stub on wiki about the phenomenom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_dog

Perhaps this has a similar pic?

Thanks for the pic, Karen. It looked just like the halo but with a full rainbow spread. I say looked because it is already gone here - just a full moon now. Perhaps in some more light cloud cover rolls in it can be seen again.

Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 10/13/08 at 11:57 pm

Here's a pic I snapped of it in 'mooncircle' mode. Maybe someone with picture clean-up skills can adjust the shading or something to show the halo.

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...