inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How old were you when you stopped trick or treating?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/23/08 at 11:54 am

Personally I did it until 1993 when I'd just turned 12, and even then I felt like I was slightly outgrowing it. On the one hand, even though I didn't like starting to be lumped in with the five year olds and had started wanting to "feel more grown up"...it was sad to give up too. As cool as getting candy was, that wasn't even the main thing (I mean hey, you can always get that at the store, lol), just something about getting to go to a bunch of different houses in the neighborhood was fun. Sometimes they would be in costume too, and you could see the different decorations they had out front. It felt more like a true collection when you actually got home, like you'd been on a scavenger hunt. Dressing up and picking out costumes was part of the fun too.

P.S. It seems like girls can get away with doing it longer than boys/guys can (and no matter how much as I might feel like a girl sometimes, I still would've felt kinda odd going "Trick or treat" once my voice deepened!) ;D No kidding, I knew this 22 year old chick in one of my classes a few years ago who said she went out and did it - I kinda envy that. ;)

Subject: Re: How old were you when you stopped trick or treating?

Written By: nally on 10/23/08 at 12:13 pm

^Yeah, I can relate to the "outgrowing" part. I was 13 when I last trick-or-treated.

Written By: ninny on 10/23/08 at 12:34 pm

My daughter went last year when she was 15. If she wasn't pregnant she would have tried to go again this year. ;D

Written By: Paul on 10/23/08 at 3:25 pm

Never started, as it never really caught on in Britain...

However, we do have Firework night about a week afterward...which is a bane of my life!  ::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/23/08 at 3:39 pm

I was 12...and I only stopped because the people whose houses I went to started saying, 'Aren't you getting a little too old for trick-or-treating?'... :-[

My daughter is almost 13, yet she told me that she wants to go out again this year...

I didn't buy her a costume, so she's gonna have to figure it all out on her own if she does decide to go trick-or-treating... ???

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/08 at 3:53 pm

I was 12 or 13  but by that time I really was just trying to get free candy.

I would've gone the following year but we moved and I didn't have any friends to go with my first year in Salinas.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/08 at 7:10 pm

I stopped trick or treating at age 13 or 14,I got too old for it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/23/08 at 7:41 pm

I was 12...and I only stopped because the people whose houses I went to started saying, 'Aren't you getting a little too old for trick-or-treating?'... :-I didn't buy her a costume, so she's gonna have to figure it all out on her own if she does decide to go trick-or-treating... ???

Haha that reminds me, one year I was late getting a costume - I wore it that night when I actually went TOT'ing, but didn't have it ready in time for school that day. When the other kids were like, hey where's your costume I just said "I'm going as myself". ;) She could say that if nothing else works, but yeah it's probably not as fun.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/23/08 at 7:41 pm

There was an age limit in my township, it was 13.  I ended up taking some of the kids in the neighborhood trick or treating.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/23/08 at 11:18 pm

My final trick-or-treating excursion was when I was 13. It was a little sad for me, too, because of outgrowing something that was so much fun. In my high school years, I knew some kids who were still trick-or-treating at 16 or 17 years old!  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/23/08 at 11:19 pm

I was lik 16 years old! Hahhaah....a group of my friends and I decided to dress up as babies one year and we went around to certain houses to trick or treat. It was fun. :D

Written By: Howard on 10/24/08 at 6:04 am

I loved being Dracula with that fake blood dripping down the mouth. ;D

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/24/08 at 9:58 am

I still do, but use my grandson as cover...... ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/24/08 at 1:54 pm

What do you go as?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/24/08 at 5:11 pm

About 12, that is about the age you leave elementary school and go to Junior High(Middle School). 

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/24/08 at 6:33 pm

What do you go as?

This year a goth, the Grandson is goth baby...

Written By: Jessica on 10/24/08 at 7:38 pm

HA!  I do the same thing with my little boy. :D

My method of taking the good candy from him is, "Oh, this one is open.  You can't have it." ;D

I stopped trick or treating at the age of 15.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/24/08 at 8:45 pm

I love taking Vaughn trick or treating. This year he is going as a pirate. Our trick or treating is this Sunday afternoon.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/08 at 5:50 am

I love taking Vaughn trick or treating. This year he is going as a pirate. Our trick or treating is this Sunday afternoon.

What are you going as Erin?

Written By: Jessica on 10/25/08 at 9:58 am

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Jason is going as Super Why.  If you look at the link, he's the character in blue and green.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/25/08 at 10:02 am

Awww.. thats cute

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/08 at 2:00 pm

Jason is going as Super Why.  If you look at the link, he's the character in blue and green.

is that the same costume he wanted then didn't want or is this a new costume?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/25/08 at 3:00 pm

Aw,That's cute,What are you going as?  :)

Written By: Jessica on 10/25/08 at 7:04 pm

is that the same costume he wanted then didn't want or is this a new costume?  ;D

It's the one he wanted then didn't want after I bought it.  He likes it now that I've told him what will happen if he wears it and goes and knocks on people's doors.  Now he asks me all the time, "Mommy, can I wear my Super Why and go and knock on people's doors and say trick or treat and get candy?" ;D

Aw,That's cute,What are you going as?  :)

Myself.  That's plenty scary enough. :D

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/08 at 8:34 pm

It's the one he wanted then didn't want after I bought it.  He likes it now that I've told him what will happen if he wears it and goes and knocks on people's doors.  Now he asks me all the time, "Mommy, can I wear my Super Why and go and knock on people's doors and say trick or treat and get candy?" ;D

;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/08 at 9:34 pm

I last trick-or-treated when I was in my mid-20s.  What can I say?  I had late night munchies, so I strapped on a mask and went door to door :D

Written By: Howard on 10/25/08 at 10:15 pm

Don't you want a costume?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/08 at 11:22 pm

Even though as I said I haven't TOTd since '93, I did dress up as Old Biff from Back to the Future II (the version from 2015 who was a grumpy old man) a few years ago for Halloween at this party I went to. I found some plaid pants and a ratty red sleeved shirt and something to use as a cane. I went around calling people a "butthead". ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/26/08 at 5:55 am

I last trick-or-treated when I was in my mid-20s.  What can I say?  I had late night munchies, so I strapped on a mask and went door to door :D

Were'nt you too old for it Jason?  ::)

Written By: Jessica on 10/26/08 at 8:56 pm

Don't you want a costume?

I have one (beer wench), just don't feel like dressing up this year.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/08 at 9:04 pm

Since we're on the subject, just another question I'll ask everyone:

If trick or treating weren't associated with childhood (even if SOME teens and even a few adults go too), would you have continued to do it? I realized that was the only reason I stopped. I didn't want to get lumped in with Elementary schoolers when I was 14, but the activity itself was so fun.

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/08 at 9:29 pm

If trick or treating weren't associated with childhood (even if SOME teens and even a few adults go too), would you have continued to do it? I realized that was the only reason I stopped. I didn't want to get lumped in with Elementary schoolers when I was 14, but the activity itself was so fun.

I totally would have but I had no friends in 8th grade so no one to go with and in 9th grade my friends and I were doing other things. But secretly I wanted to go trick or treating.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/26/08 at 10:10 pm

I trick or treated clear up to 9th grade, but then my Algebra teacher saw me and told me in class (the next day), "Hey I saw someone that looked just like you last night trick or treating..."  ;D  Yup, I so wanted to do it in years after that but alas, I was too old.  I did dress up to go to Halloween parties or hand out candy since then though.  I dressed in costume to go see Rocky Horror Picture Show in 1997ish. 

I usually dressed as a black cat.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/bookmistress4ever/PattycatcostumeOct2006.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/08 at 10:24 pm

^ Hey that rocks. :) Not to mention I'm a cat fan too. Believe it or not I've never seen RHPS though.

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/08 at 10:24 pm

I trick or treated clear up to 9th grade, but then my Algebra teacher saw me and told me in class (the next day), "Hey I saw someone that looked just like you last night trick or treating..."   ;D  Yup, I so wanted to do it in years after that but alas, I was too old.  I did dress up to go to Halloween parties or hand out candy since then though.  I dressed in costume to go see Rocky Horror Picture Show in 1997ish. 

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/bookmistress4ever/PattycatcostumeOct2006.jpg

Patty-Cat!

Written By: Howard on 10/27/08 at 7:23 am

If trick or treating weren't associated with childhood (even if SOME teens and even a few adults go too), would you have continued to do it?

I probably would,then later I'd eat all the candy.

Written By: audkal on 10/27/08 at 6:25 pm

I think the last time I went TOT'ing was when I was 11.  And if it weren't associated with kids, I think I'd still be going--I think a lot of people would still be going really. ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/27/08 at 6:33 pm

^ Hey that rocks. :) Not to mention I'm a cat fan too. Believe it or not I've never seen RHPS though.

Well the movie itself...has some funny parts and is mostly campy.  Most of the fun (for me anyway) is to be in the audience and play along.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/27/08 at 9:24 pm

Halloween is my favorite holiday - I went trick or treating at 16 and I was comfortable doing so (another friend went with me).  We were careful as to which neighborhoods we hit, and we went haunted housing as well.  It was an event (I never did do any "tricking" though - didn't believe in it - it brought TOTer's down, people got mad at them).  As I got older I took the kids I babysat TOTing, and I still dressed up, it was great.  I am loving the fact I have 2 little kids and get to take them now.  My whole house is decked out, I only wished I lived in town, so that I could have the spooky house and scare all the TOTers.  Now that is my dream

Written By: Davester on 10/27/08 at 10:44 pm

I think the last time I went TOT was when I was twelve, Halloween '81, and by then it wasn't much fun anymore.  Soaping and pumpkin smashing - now THAT was fun..!

My last TOT outfit was one of those Fred Flintstone masks with the rubber band...

Written By: Davester on 10/27/08 at 10:46 pm

Nice kitty...

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/27/08 at 11:24 pm

The solution for adults is obvious.  Go trick-or-treating (with costumes, of course) on Hallowe'en at the office.  Cubicle-to-cubicle.. 

If Hank "Boris" Paulson can keep us singing "Monster Crash" until this Friday, I'll be grateful for one last candy-laden office party.  If it lasts until Thanksgiving, I'll be thankful for that last turkey-gut-busting party.  Maybe Santa will come around and give us one more "holiday" party in late December.

As the savings and investments evaporate, the only thing that keeps me going is the fact that our customers still pay us to attend what amounts to adult day care, at least until the last bank implodes and the zombie hordes burn the planet to ash.

But that probably won't happen this week, so for the love of Dobbs, have the decency to show up at work in costume, and have a bowl of candy to hand out to your fellow cow orkers!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/28/08 at 2:44 am

In the town where I grew up, we usually quit trick-or-treating when we were about 12 or 13.

But here's the REAL question: After you got too old to trick-or-treat, did that mean that you quit celebrating Halloween?

In Waverly, Nebraska in the 1980's the answer to that was HELL NO! That's when the real fun began.

I'll never forget going to the local grocery store with my buddies and getting dirty looks from some 30-something cashier who knew all too well why three 14 year-old boys who almost never go to the store without their parents would suddenly be there on Halloween night standing in the checkout line with several cartons of eggs and 2 or 3 six-packs of toilet paper.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/28/08 at 6:56 am

I think the last time I went TOT'ing was when I was 11.  And if it weren't associated with kids, I think I'd still be going--I think a lot of people would still be going really. ;)

That would mean trick or treating for adults.

Written By: mooster on 10/28/08 at 11:07 pm

I've never tricked or treated  :o  Halloween wasn't recognised here when I was growing up...

Written By: karen on 10/28/08 at 11:17 pm

I did it once with a couple of friends when we were about sixteen.  Since it wasn't really the done thing in the UK we spent a lot of time explaining what the hell we were up to!

Written By: star80 on 10/28/08 at 11:53 pm

12.......Although I do still like the costumes and excitement of it all

Written By: Howard on 10/29/08 at 7:31 am

Has anyone gone trick or treating and got the door slammed from neighbors?  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/08 at 9:40 pm

I think I stopped in 6th or 7th grade age 12-13, and the more I think about it, the more I recall not going out trick or treating then, but that me and my friends went out terrorizing the neighborhoods, egging houses and taking candy from others but rest assured we didn't take it from little ones, only from kids our own size and age that we  preyed upon as we found then out trick or treating.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/08 at 8:36 am

I think I stopped in 6th or 7th grade age 12-13, and the more I think about it, the more I recall not going out trick or treating then, but that me and my friends went out terrorizing the neighborhoods, egging houses and taking candy from others but rest assured we didn't take it from little ones, only from kids our own size and age that we  preyed upon as we found then out trick or treating.

What's with eggs,shaving cream and toilet paper?  ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/30/08 at 7:39 pm

What's with eggs,shaving cream and toilet paper?  ::)
just eggs. we egg'd the house where this mean-fat-red headed-big mouth kid lived.  I didn't like him

Written By: Howard on 10/31/08 at 7:33 am

just eggs. we egg'd the house where this mean-fat-red headed-big mouth kid lived.  I didn't like him

What about the shaving cream?

Check for new replies or respond here...