inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I JUST GOT LAID...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/08/08 at 1:03 pm

...off from my job.  :(

For all you retroheads who wonder what the late 70's/early 80's were like, now you know.

It's 1980 all over again.  :P

Subject: Re: I JUST GOT LAID...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/08 at 1:05 pm

Here I was going to give you hell for getting Howard all riled up but in this case, I have to say that I am sorry about your job.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/08/08 at 1:10 pm

Here I was going to give you hell for getting Howard all riled up but in this case, I have to say that I am sorry about your job.

Cat

That's all right, I probably deserve a little hell for that grotesque display of my gluteal cleft. ;D

I should be OK, it's not a hard layoff yet so I should get my hours in, at least for the next few weeks hopefully. After that though, I don't know. I'll probably have to quit being a piano player in a whorehouse and go back to being a trucker for a while.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/08/08 at 1:16 pm

That's all right, I probably deserve a little hell for that grotesque display of my gluteal cleft. ;D

I should be OK, it's not a hard layoff yet so I should get my hours in, at least for the next few weeks hopefully. After that though, I don't know. I'll probably have to quit being a piano player in a whorehouse and go back to being a trucker for a while.

I am soooo sorry!  We have a lot of cutbacks around here as well....... (One business has "locked out" their employees, when the Union threatened to strike August 22, and the negotiations has gotten nowhere - Unfortunately the worse the economy get's the more unreasonable the unions contract looks.....  Another business just laid off 200 workers from management on down)  This economy is bad

Written By: La Roche on 11/08/08 at 1:32 pm

Hit the Hall dude.

Whilst there's bands to play, there'll be concerts to work.

Written By: snozberries on 11/08/08 at 1:32 pm

Sorry to hear that Al.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/08/08 at 1:46 pm

That SUCKS!  So sorry to hear it.  I hope it's only a short break.
My husband also got laid off and they just laid off 40 people from my company. 
Things are really tough all over  :(

Written By: Dagwood on 11/08/08 at 2:00 pm

Sorry to hear that, Al. 

Written By: Howard on 11/08/08 at 2:40 pm

I remember getting laid off from Au Bon Pain in October 2006,I had no job and no income but thanks to my old job coach,he found me another job which was Pathmark and now I'm very successful. :)

Written By: karen on 11/08/08 at 2:44 pm

I hope its only a short break away from working.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/08 at 3:08 pm

Hope you find a new job Al.

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/08/08 at 7:44 pm

This isn't entirely a surprise ... to me ... OR to you, Al ... since I do remember you posting earlier this week ... that you suspected this event might occur ... and that you were almost looking forward to it ... given the knucklehead ( racist (?)  ) type guy(s) at your workplace .. that you felt like punching out ... pissed off with Obama's victory.

Hopefully, something more suitable will come your way soon. 

Written By: greenjello74 on 11/08/08 at 8:28 pm

Sorry to hear about it.. things are getting tough all over!!! They cut my hubbys overtime, and said no raises or bonuses this year.
I think we are lucky, all the other hospitals are laying off. They gave them a choice and everyone from the President of the board of directors to the housekeepers opted for no raises, no bonuses, and to keep overtime to a minimum.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/08/08 at 9:52 pm

sorry to hear that Al...I know how you feel. My hours got cut severely at work, I have to find a different job or else I won't be able to survive. :-\\

Written By: statsqueen on 11/08/08 at 10:18 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, Al.  I hope you find something (preferably something you enjoy) very soon.

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/08 at 11:05 pm

Sorry to hear about your job loss.  If worse comes to worst, you can always go to temp agencies or job placement companies to find temp work until you can get the kind of job you want

I did that for three years; I held out for the kind of job I wanted and eventually got it

Written By: Gis on 11/09/08 at 4:45 am

I'm so sorry to hear that Al. I hoped I'd never have to live through another bad resession again but it looks like the U.K are in for it big time too. I find out by Easter whether my job will still exist or not............worrying times. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/08 at 5:04 am

Sorry to hear this news, but I did have to double-take the title on who started this thread...

Written By: Howard on 11/09/08 at 5:20 am

sorry to hear that Al...I know how you feel. My hours got cut severely at work, I have to find a different job or else I won't be able to survive. :-\\

What would you want to do?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/08 at 4:47 pm

What would you want to do?  ???

something that pays money...got any ideas....  sorry Erin I totally know better  ;D

sorry about your hours too... hope things work out.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/08 at 5:10 pm

something that pays money...got any ideas....  sorry Erin I totally know better  ;D

sorry about your hours too... hope things work out.

work as a cart attendant.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/09/08 at 6:09 pm

For all you retroheads who wonder what the late 70's/early 80's were like, now you know.

It's 1980 all over again.  :P

I got laid off  a month ago.  I am beginning to worry that it will be worse than the 70s & 80s.   :(

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/08 at 6:52 pm

I got laid off  a month ago.  I am beginning to worry that it will be worse than the 70s & 80s.   :(

I was just looking at all the stores that are closing- Linen's & Things, Mervyns, Circuit City....and so close to Christmas  :-\\

Written By: Step-chan on 11/09/08 at 8:03 pm

Sorry to hear about that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/09/08 at 9:05 pm

I was just looking at all the stores that are closing- Linen's & Things, Mervyns, Circuit City....and so close to Christmas  :-\\

and Value City, as well. :(

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/08 at 9:22 pm

Thankfully the theater I work at for my main source of income is primarily funded by the taxpayers.  ;) Which ensures a level of job security, but whilst I said to Al to get on with the local, I've seen a big drop off in work with them as well.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/08 at 10:24 pm

Thankfully the theater I work at for my main source of income is primarily funded by the taxpayers.  ;) Which ensures a level of job security, but whilst I said to Al to get on with the local, I've seen a big drop off in work with them as well.  :-\\

I was thinking the same thing....like they always need someone to answer 911.... alright people keep on committing crime! O0

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/08 at 10:28 pm

I was thinking the same thing....like they always need someone to answer 911.... alright people keep on committing crime! O0

Whilst there are bands, there will be work.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/10/08 at 12:55 am

They called me in today for work, and I just got home.

It's weird how they do it here, they have what they call "soft layoff" and "hard layoff." Soft layoff is where you no longer are on a bid (where you have a preset work schedule) but they still call you in to work when they need you. Hard layoff is when you're actually laid off and you're not working at all. Right now no one is on hard layoff yet but they're going to keep putting people on soft layoff ahead of me so they might not be calling me as much, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm on hard layoff by the end of the year.

I've been talking to some of the guys who have been laid off for a few weeks and they've told me they've been getting called in regularly and have been getting at least 4 days in each week. So right now my situation isn't all that bad.

A lot of it has to do with this major restructuring of my company that has been rumored for several years but is now finally taking place (and a lot of people are concerned because it seems unwise to go through the process during a weak economy and if this restructuring comes out badly it could potentially put us out of business).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/10/08 at 2:57 am

ya do whatcha gotta do big Al.  good luck

Written By: Howard on 11/10/08 at 5:51 am

Good Luck Al.

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/10/08 at 5:54 am

Thanks, Howard.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/08 at 5:56 am

Thanks, Howard.

I meant the OTHER Al.

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/10/08 at 6:30 am

I meant the OTHER Al.

Say what you mean ... and mean what you say !

:P

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/08 at 6:31 am

I meant the OTHER Al.
There are two Als?

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/10/08 at 6:36 am

There are two Als?

You must be a 'newbie' ? Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chucky Alan . I'm the owner of this site incognito I'm a self-appointed would be resident clown / joker. Uhm .... and you look strikingly like Charles Babbage ... you're not Philip Eno, by any chance ... are you ?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/08 at 6:38 am

You must be a 'newbie' ? Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chucky Alan . I'm the owner of this site incognito I'm a self-appointed would be resident clown / joker. Uhm .... and you look strikingly like Charles Babbage ... you're not Philip Eno, by any chance ... are you ?   ???
He He!!

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/08 at 8:08 am

There are two Als?

"Yep-Yep"

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/images/celebs/m/molina.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/10/08 at 11:03 am

"Yep-Yep"

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/images/celebs/m/molina.jpg

I wonder if Al in the picture got laid. ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/10/08 at 11:08 am

LMAO!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/10/08 at 11:25 am

It's better to be laid ON then to be laid OFF.

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/08 at 9:02 pm

IF he did, the ladies only wanted him for his money.  Either that, or they used him to get to The Fonz :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/08 at 1:38 am

IF he did, the ladies only wanted him for his money.  Either that, or they used him to get to The Fonz :D

Nah, Al was Fonzie's wingman.

Fonzie got all the girls that were hot, Al took care of their friends who were not.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/11/08 at 7:23 am

I'm never going to get laid!  :( >:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/08 at 1:09 pm

I'm never going to get laid!  :( >:(

Keep trying, Howard.

You'll have more opportunities.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/08 at 1:19 pm

well he was on tv so I'm guessing yeah probably.... and I would comment on the nose but  :-X

Written By: Tia on 11/11/08 at 1:24 pm

al, i got three words for ya:

ICE
ROAD
TRUCKIN'!

http://tinyurl.com/ywohko

looks like fun! of course, it helps to be impervious to cold, like i am. it's one of my many superpowers.

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1341092/article_images/iceroadtruck02.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/11/08 at 2:53 pm

Keep trying, Howard.

You'll have more opportunities.  ;)

I'm not getting any younger,I already have grey hair on the sides of my head. :(

Written By: La Roche on 11/12/08 at 9:45 am

ICE
ROAD
TRUCKIN'!

looks like fun! of course, it helps to be impervious to cold, like i am. it's one of my many superpowers.

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1341092/article_images/iceroadtruck02.jpg

Grey!

Written By: Howard on 11/12/08 at 7:04 pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71560GQ35EL._SL500_AA240_.gif

;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/12/08 at 7:45 pm

ICE
ROAD
TRUCKIN'!

Nah.

If I were to relocate for the winter to get a trucking job, I'd probably go to Phoenix or Corpus Christi or someplace like that.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/08 at 10:10 pm

Me too, AL-B!  I'm polishing up my resume and pounding the pavement...well, mostly waiting for the UI check to arrive. 

The world can kiss my ass!!!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/13/08 at 2:08 am

Me too, AL-B!  I'm polishing up my resume and pounding the pavement...well, mostly waiting for the UI check to arrive. 

"It's the work we avoid, 'cause we're all unemployed,
We can't find any jobs that will pay!
And we been Takin' Care of Business, everyday..."
  - Canadian punk band DOA, not-so-subtly parodying Bachman Turner Overdrive's Takin' Care of Business

The video - consisting largely of the band wearing flannel shirts and playing hockey - must be seen to be believed.  A Pure Canadian Awesome punk salute to the Canadian rock classic.

/salutes Al-B's trucking companions and everyone else in the transportation industry.  I've been watching this crap unfold from the other end.  The dry bulk shippers are toast - rates have fallen more than 90% in the past month; shipping companies are leaving their ships in port, because nobody can get letters of credit to make the shipping worthwhile.  It's fallen so hard and so fast that it's not even worth cutting the ships up for scrap.
//the collapse of the shipping industry means that everything from iron ore to grain sits at port and never ships.
///when bulk commodities stop shipping, billions of people outside of North America start starve.

For those of you in North America or near an agriculturally-productive region of Europe, if you're eating fruit, grain, vegetables, or meat today, thank a trucker.  And since you're probably thanking him on a keyboard made in China, thank a cargo ship captain and a trucker. 

Written By: Jessica on 11/13/08 at 10:05 am

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71560GQ35EL._SL500_AA240_.gif

;D

I suppose you own a copy? :D

Written By: Howard on 11/13/08 at 3:39 pm

I suppose you own a copy? :D

No I don't unfortunately.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/26/08 at 2:05 pm

Yesterday one of the VP's from corporate and our business agent from the union came down and met with us for about 30 minutes before
our shift began. They told us that YRC's financial situation is pretty dire and that we will probably have to take a 15% wage reduction in order to keep the company afloat.

There's been rumors going around about the potential demise of Yellow for probably the last 18 months, but most people (with the exception of this one jackass who seems to get a hardon for gleefully spreading any doom-and-gloom rumor that comes his way) have had the attitude that everything will work out OK.

After the VP came in and told us of the proposed wage reduction, however, even the guys who had been the most optimistic took that as a sign that we're pretty much screwed. (I'm glad Jackass, or Chief Red Cloud, as I call him, wasn't there, he probably would have creamed his jeans after that meeting.) Not to mention that I called up some friends of mine and they told me that Yellow is going to lay off 14 more people today, which may very well put me into the hard layoff category.

I've decided that if Yellow does go belly up that I'm going to move back to Nebraska. Aside from a few close work buddies I really don't have anything going on down here, plus if the sh*t hits the fan and we end up going into a full-blown depression then I think I ought to be with my family. So I went ahead and e-mailed an application to a trucking company I worked for about 7-8 years ago, if they decide to hire me then it should put me into a win-win situation. I can still live down in KC and have a steady job until the situation resolves itself. If Yellow pulls through and they call me back full-time then I will have stayed afloat. If Yellow goes down then I can just keep the new-old job and move back to Nebraska.

I'm not sure how my chances are. I have an excellent work history and driving record, and I left that company in good standing, but I'm just not sure how much they're hiring right now. If I do get on there then I'll be running the eastern half of the US, and who knows? I may get a laptop, let you know of my whereabouts, and maybe even visit some of you if you like.  :)

Anyway thanks everyone, and I hope things are going OK for all of you.

Written By: karen on 11/26/08 at 2:14 pm

Good luck with that Al

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/26/08 at 2:17 pm

Yesterday one of the VP's from corporate and our business agent from the union came down and met with us for about 30 minutes before
our shift began. They told us that YRC's financial situation is pretty dire and that we will probably have to take a 15% wage reduction in order to keep the company afloat.

There's been rumors going around about the potential demise of Yellow for probably the last 18 months, but most people (with the exception of this one jackass who seems to get a hardon for gleefully spreading any doom-and-gloom rumor that comes his way) have had the attitude that everything will work out OK.

After the VP came in and told us of the proposed wage reduction, however, even the guys who had been the most optimistic took that as a sign that we're pretty much screwed. (I'm glad Jackass, or Chief Red Cloud, as I call him, wasn't there, he probably would have creamed his jeans after that meeting.) Not to mention that I called up some friends of mine and they told me that Yellow is going to lay off 14 more people today, which may very well put me into the hard layoff category.

I've decided that if Yellow does go belly up that I'm going to move back to Nebraska. Aside from a few close work buddies I really don't have anything going on down here, plus if the sh*t hits the fan and we end up going into a full-blown depression then I think I ought to be with my family. So I went ahead and e-mailed an application to a trucking company I worked for about 7-8 years ago, if they decide to hire me then it should put me into a win-win situation. I can still live down in KC and have a steady job until the situation resolves itself. If Yellow pulls through and they call me back full-time then I will have stayed afloat. If Yellow goes down then I can just keep the new-old job and move back to Nebraska.

I'm not sure how my chances are. I have an excellent work history and driving record, and I left that company in good standing, but I'm just not sure how much they're hiring right now. If I do get on there then I'll be running the eastern half of the US, and who knows? I may get a laptop, let you know of my whereabouts, and maybe even visit some of you if you like.  :)

It's good to lay the trackwork for other opportunities.  I hope it all works out. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/26/08 at 2:23 pm

Best wishes Al 8)  You know you can always visit but I doubt you'd be able to park your big rig on our street :D

Written By: La Roche on 11/26/08 at 2:36 pm

Which company is it?

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/26/08 at 2:52 pm

Good plan for the future, hope all ends well for you!

Written By: Jessica on 11/26/08 at 3:56 pm

I hope it all works out for you, man. :)

As Lice Cube wourd say in Engrish, "Good RUCK!" :D

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/26/08 at 8:11 pm

I hope it all works out for you, man. :)

As Lice Cube wourd say in Engrish, "Good RUCK!" :D

Why relatively few telephones in China ?

There are so many people called 'Wing' ... and so many called 'Wong'  ........ they might easily .....

'Wing' the 'Wong' number ! 

:D

Written By: Howard on 11/26/08 at 8:47 pm

Good Luck Al.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/30/08 at 1:58 pm

either way it goes Al I wish you all the best!

Written By: Howard on 11/30/08 at 4:50 pm

I overheard from a worker that she might be the one getting laid off December 4th,she's a cart attendant and also does throwbacks too.

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/30/08 at 6:53 pm

I can just keep the new-old job and move back to Nebraska.

So you know about those 'hoot-Al's' ..... on a 'cold Nebraska night' ?    ???                            :P

The eastern half of the US .. is that anywhere near Sydney, Australia ?

You can visit me ANYTIME, Al  !    8)      ;D             

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/04/08 at 9:02 pm

They put me on hard layoff Monday, so now I'm unemployed.

To make matters worse my car, which up to this point had been running flawlessly, decided to take a huge dump on me today and it's going to cost me at least $400 to get it fixed.  And to add insult to injury, I found that what happened was due to a design flaw in the intake manifold that was the subject of a class action lawsuit which Ford ended up settling back in 2005, but they gave the owners of the affected models 90 days to get it repaired under the extended warranty. This expired back in early 2006 and until my manifold cracked I had no idea that there was any kind of recall or lawsuit or anything. Those nice folks at the Ford Motor Company conveniently forgot to tell me that I had something potentially major wrong with my car, and now I'm SOL.

At least the manifold cracked open in my friend's driveway and not on the freeway going 70 mph, because if it had then my engine almost certainly would have blown up.

I'm rather pissed off at the Ford Motor Company right now.  >:(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/04/08 at 9:08 pm

To make matters worse my car, which up to this point had been running flawlessly, decided to take a huge dump on me today and it's going to cost me at least $400 to get it fixed.  And to add insult to injury, I found that what happened was due to a design flaw in the intake manifold that was the subject of a class action lawsuit which Ford ended up settling back in 2005, but they gave the owners of the affected models 90 days to get it repaired under the extended warranty. This expired back in early 2006 and until my manifold cracked I had no idea that there was any kind of recall or lawsuit or anything. Those nice folks at the Ford Motor Company conveniently forgot to tell me that I had something potentially major wrong with my car, and now I'm SOL.

At least the manifold cracked open in my friend's driveway and not on the freeway going 70 mph, because if it had then my engine almost certainly would have blown up.

sorry to hear that Al, doggone it!  hopefully something else will open up for you. best of luck and hows about I kick in a prayer on your behalf. 

Is that the car in the pics with you and Andy on your trip to St Louis and Chicago?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/04/08 at 9:42 pm

At least you don't have a bulimic Volkswagen :P

Good luck with the job search, I hope you have some unemployment benefits or severance pay in the meantime.

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/05/08 at 8:35 pm

Damn that's not fair. Here a  :-* for better luck.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/05/08 at 8:56 pm

Damn that's terrible, I hope for better luck for you!

Written By: La Roche on 12/06/08 at 12:21 am

Is that the car in the pics with you and Andy on your trip to St Louis and Chicago?

Yeah, he's not a prick, he just thought he got a good deal on a used crown vic.

Dude, all I can tell you is - Urban Assault Vehicle! I've hit garbage trucks, walls, snow drifts and stop signs and it keeps running!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 12:35 am

Yeah, he's not a prick, he just thought he got a good deal on a used crown vic.

Dude, all I can tell you is - Urban Assault Vehicle! I've hit garbage trucks, walls, snow drifts and stop signs and it keeps running!
yeah, he likes those cop cars  8)    so refresh my memory, what is your UAV because I can't remember, but I remember when you were looking for a car.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/08 at 5:50 am

I wish you luck Al in your job search.

Written By: La Roche on 12/07/08 at 12:34 am

yeah, he likes those cop cars  8)    so refresh my memory, what is your UAV because I can't remember, but I remember when you were looking for a car.

I've ran through a few cars.

I got one of these -

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/1994/Oldsmobile/1721/1994.oldsmobile.cutlassciera.8676-396x249.jpg

Which is indestructible.

I really did hit a garbage truck, fast. I ran over a stop sign, plowed in to a snow drift (that was totally my fault, I wanted to see if I could make a Cutlass Powerslide so I hit the gas on a corner) and hit a couple of walls too.

I had the Nova for a while, but it was a lost cause, the chassis was rusted out and to fix it.. it just wouldn't be worth it.

Recently I got a truck too, for a song!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/07/08 at 12:43 am

I've ran through a few cars.

I got one of these -

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/1994/Oldsmobile/1721/1994.oldsmobile.cutlassciera.8676-396x249.jpg

Which is indestructible.

I really did hit a garbage truck, fast. I ran over a stop sign, plowed in to a snow drift (that was totally my fault, I wanted to see if I could make a Cutlass Powerslide so I hit the gas on a corner) and hit a couple of walls too.

I had the Nova for a while, but it was a lost cause, the chassis was rusted out and to fix it.. it just wouldn't be worth it.

Recently I got a truck too, for a song!

What kind of truck did you get?

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 1:19 am

sorry to hear about your run of bad luck Al... I will keep my fingers crossed that things start looking up soon!

Written By: La Roche on 12/07/08 at 2:40 pm

What kind of truck did you get?

Dakota.

It's alright. Like I say, I picked it up for pennies on the dollar just about.

Check for new replies or respond here...