inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Internet Advice

Written By: Tia on 11/18/08 at 12:18 pm

I'm moving into a new apartment and i'm trying to get internet service. at the old place one of the guys was a real tech-head and so he always took care of all that stuff and now i'm shopping around and i'm getting confused. my issues are

i don't have a phone line and i'm not really that interested in getting one, or getting cable t.v., and it seems like a lot of ISPs assume you're gonna want the whole package, or they want to run the internet through the phone line or cable line. and

i already have a wireless receiver for my computer, right now we have a router in the basement. if i order wireless for the new apartment, am i going to have to buy a router? i'm okay with that but i'm not sure if i need one or not.

i looked at verizon wireless but i'm not sure i like it because they charge a lot, and it's hard to tell when they're talking about wireless cell phone service or wireless internet. they also put a limit on the amount of file transfer you get every month, and i dont care much for that.

i also looked at AT&T and this sounds good

http://www.bellsouth.com/consumer/inetsrvcs/promo_unreal.html?src=lftnav

but for this i have to get a "DSL modem and router." is that the same as a wireless receiver and router, or am i going to have to get another modem and a router that's not compatible with the wireless receiver i have now? i'm so confused!

Subject: Re: Internet Advice

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/18/08 at 12:48 pm

Advice:

Get rid of the internet all together 8)

No,i'm just kidding

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/18/08 at 1:01 pm

Advice:

Get rid of the internet all together 8)

No,i'm just kidding

You pulled a NALLY!!!

Did you call AT&T yet to ask about their anywhere Wireless plan?  It does sound good for people who travel a lot for business, but probably not as practical for most of us common folk...

Written By: La Roche on 11/18/08 at 1:06 pm

I'm moving into a new apartment and i'm trying to get internet service. at the old place one of the guys was a real tech-head and so he always took care of all that stuff and now i'm shopping around and i'm getting confused. my issues are

i don't have a phone line and i'm not really that interested in getting one, or getting cable t.v., and it seems like a lot of ISPs assume you're gonna want the whole package, or they want to run the internet through the phone line or cable line. and

i already have a wireless receiver for my computer, right now we have a router in the basement. if i order wireless for the new apartment, am i going to have to buy a router? i'm okay with that but i'm not sure if i need one or not.

i looked at verizon wireless but i'm not sure i like it because they charge a lot, and it's hard to tell when they're talking about wireless cell phone service or wireless internet. they also put a limit on the amount of file transfer you get every month, and i dont care much for that.

i also looked at AT&T and this sounds good

http://www.bellsouth.com/consumer/inetsrvcs/promo_unreal.html?src=lftnav

but for this i have to get a "DSL modem and router." is that the same as a wireless receiver and router, or am i going to have to get another modem and a router that's not compatible with the wireless receiver i have now? i'm so confused!

Dude. I set up my whole connection for about $70.

If you already have a wireless network adapter that's one expense down.. but if you only have one machine it makes very little difference anyway.

AT&T's wireless service is just fine. $20 for the base, I'd go up to $25 and take the slightly faster connection, the difference isn't enormous, but it is noticeable and you can find $5 in change walking around.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...