inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: apps question to those who have iPhone

Written By: snozberries on 11/18/08 at 3:07 pm

I know Tia started an iPhone thread a few weeks back but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Quick question to anyone who actually owns an iPhone.

1. Looking at the apps  for the iPhone is it a one time purchase or a monthly fee for the apps?

2. Is there a limit on the number of apps you can have on the phone (well besides exceeding the phone's memory)

3. When you buy the apps do they tell you in advance how much memory the app you purchase will use

thanks.

Subject: Re: apps question to those who have iPhone

Written By: Tia on 11/18/08 at 3:52 pm

i got an ipod touch, and i think i can field these.

the ipod touch is a one-time purchase and has no phone service, if you get an iphone you have to get a phone plan with AT&T, it's 60 or 70 bucks a month, minimum. i didn't find that attractive, so i didn't get it. people who use their phone more might like it, i dunno.

other than that i think the ipod touch does about the same thing as an iphone. i have probably about a dozen apps on mine, most of the free from itunes. it does tell you the size, and i don't think there's any limit except memory. you can also store tv shows and full-length movies on it, i watched air force one on the metro last week and today i'm watching total recall again. it makes onerous metro rides a lot easier. i tell ya i dont fuss with the apps very much, most of what i do is watch movies and tv shows, but i'm really happy with it, i think it's a neat gizmo.

Written By: snozberries on 11/18/08 at 4:15 pm

i got an ipod touch, and i think i can field these.

the ipod touch is a one-time purchase and has no phone service, if you get an iphone you have to get a phone plan with AT&T, it's 60 or 70 bucks a month, minimum. i didn't find that attractive, so i didn't get it. people who use their phone more might like it, i dunno.

other than that i think the ipod touch does about the same thing as an iphone. i have probably about a dozen apps on mine, most of the free from itunes. it does tell you the size, and i don't think there's any limit except memory. you can also store tv shows and full-length movies on it, i watched air force one on the metro last week and today i'm watching total recall again. it makes onerous metro rides a lot easier. i tell ya i dont fuss with the apps very much, most of what i do is watch movies and tv shows, but i'm really happy with it, i think it's a neat gizmo.

thanks- there are some apps (siting the commercials for example) where you can have it identify a song- or the one that finds local restaurants  or the ebay app.... wondering if those are charged monthly or one time purchase.

I also looked at the trivia - like movie and tv trivia....those are 4.99 but again- monthly or one time.  There's just so much. Someone should write iPhone for dummies or something.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/18/08 at 5:08 pm

I know Tia started an iPhone thread a few weeks back but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Quick question to anyone who actually owns an iPhone.

1. Looking at the apps  for the iPhone is it a one time purchase or a monthly fee for the apps?

2. Is there a limit on the number of apps you can have on the phone (well besides exceeding the phone's memory)

3. When you buy the apps do they tell you in advance how much memory the app you purchase will use

thanks.

Have the old (not the 3G) iPhone, but hopefully getting it soon. .... I love my phone, but use it a lot, and I like the fact that ATT's wireless is only 29.00 a month as opposed for verizons 59.00  - so my plan is actually cheaper with Att than my Husband's verizon for his blackberry...

One time fee for applications (some are free, some are not, but I have never seen monthly fees)
# of Apps - I think your memory is the limit
Yes they should tell you how much memory, I have not added any recently (as I am hoping to get the newer phone...)

Love my phone, it is great, plus I can take pictures (and they are very decent) as opposed to the touch without that capability...  ??? Use it a lot for those times I forget my camera with kids - all the time :-[

Hope this helps :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/18/08 at 5:14 pm

Have the old (not the 3G) iPhone, but hopefully getting it soon. .... I love my phone, but use it a lot, and I like the fact that ATT's wireless is only 29.00 a month as opposed for verizons 59.00  - so my plan is actually cheaper with Att than my Husband's verizon for his blackberry...

One time fee for applications (some are free, some are not, but I have never seen monthly fees)
# of Apps - I think your memory is the limit
Yes they should tell you how much memory, I have not added any recently (as I am hoping to get the newer phone...)

Love my phone, it is great, plus I can take pictures (and they are very decent) as opposed to the touch without that capability...  ??? Use it a lot for those times I forget my camera with kids - all the time :-[

Hope this helps :)

it does help....thx

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/31/09 at 8:41 pm

My Husband just found an apps that is an iGirl - 3 dimensional girl that he can interact with, tickle, make her dance etc..... :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

OMG were is my iBoy ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 01/31/09 at 10:41 pm

I had the original and the 3g since they came out pretty much and know all about it, the apps are all a one time purchase and you can redownload for free if you happen to lose your copy of the app which is nice, there's plenty of free apps as well. You can have 9 home screens or pages on the phone at a time, which hold 16 icons each (you can save webclips to the homescreen as well as apps) so you have 9 * 16 = 144 + 4 in the dock at the bottom so that's 148 Apps but that includes all the default stuff which you can't remove. There are 19 default apps so 129 App Store apps would be the max you could have on the phone at a time. The App store pages say how many MB each app is.

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/09 at 10:14 am

My Husband just found an apps that is an iGirl - 3 dimensional girl that he can interact with, tickle, make her dance etc..... :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

OMG were is my iBoy ;D ;D ;D

;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/09 at 10:35 am

I had the original and the 3g since they came out pretty much and know all about it, the apps are all a one time purchase and you can redownload for free if you happen to lose your copy of the app which is nice, there's plenty of free apps as well. You can have 9 home screens or pages on the phone at a time, which hold 16 icons each (you can save webclips to the homescreen as well as apps) so you have 9 * 16 = 144 + 4 in the dock at the bottom so that's 148 Apps but that includes all the default stuff which you can't remove. There are 19 default apps so 129 App Store apps would be the max you could have on the phone at a time. The App store pages say how many MB each app is.

Thanks... I've figured out the apps.... I posted this when I was trying to decide whether or not to buy an iphone....

I have a virtual penguin....but I keep forgetting to feed him  ;D 

I am totally hooked on the game dactyl...and if you play it while listening to Prince's Let's Go Crazy... you can get a decent score... .
I also like Target Tap, Eradication, Elevens, and Backgammon...all really cool games

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/01/09 at 1:32 pm

Thanks... I've figured out the apps.... I posted this when I was trying to decide whether or not to buy an iphone....

I have a virtual penguin....but I keep forgetting to feed him  ;D 

I am totally hooked on the game dactyl...and if you play it while listening to Prince's Let's Go Crazy... you can get a decent score... .
I also like Target Tap, Eradication, Elevens, and Backgammon...all really cool games

I like soduko and solitaire :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/09 at 2:10 pm

I like soduko and solitaire :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

why so glum chum.... I would like soduko if I were good at it... Elvens is a great solitare game

I have played Sol Free (but have yet to win a game) its a solitare game that has some different ones other than Klondike 

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/01/09 at 2:37 pm

why so glum chum.... I would like soduko if I were good at it... Elvens is a great solitare game

I have played Sol Free (but have yet to win a game) its a solitare game that has some different ones other than Klondike 
I just feel like a nerd ::)  I do want to get some "fun" games, just need to take the time to look for them.

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/09 at 5:43 pm

I just feel like a nerd ::)  I do want to get some "fun" games, just need to take the time to look for them.

there's a game called AlphaBetiC I liked.. I think it was free... I have to know if I'll like a game before I pay for... I like it.\

Backgammon professional I paid 99cents for but I play it everyday

iBasketball sux
Batman is okay I just suck at driving.
Crash Bandicoot looked good on the commercials and it is good but I don't play it nearly as much as I thought I would and I paid 5 bucks for it.
I paid 99 cents for a Bolt game I only occasionally play.
checkers i had to put on easy just so I could feel better about myself... I kept losing....
Brain Toot and Mental age I paid for but I love those kind of games.
I thnk Dactyl was free I play it alot
Eradication is a shooting game I play it at least once or twice a week don't recall if there was a charge for it.
word warp and word whirl are like text twist I got the free versions.
turkey hunt = meh but I think it was free
monkey diving don't remember if I paid or got it free.
I have a free pool game but I like it so I might buy the better version
Target tap rocks
Topple is kind of boring I might have paid for it
Tunnel is fun and free
a Penguin game cuz..... duh penguins!
I have a mouse/cheese game I got a free version of but I might buy that too... and then I have

Google
ebay
amazon
spanish/english dictionary
facebook
myspace
snap/tell
shazam
urban spoon
photobucket
bofa
that lose it app I told you about
a speed dial app I found
Say who which was free and allows you to speak the name you are looking for but takes too damn long so I never use it.

whew... and I'm still not done...

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...