inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stay At Home Mom

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/20/08 at 1:01 pm

So i've noticed there are a few ladies here who are raising the babies while the father gets out to work. Is this common in America? Overhere only really wealthy families do it and usually they have maids to do all the hard work. Back in Europe most of my friends who were parents worked full-time and the kids were in daycare or kindergarden.

For the moms who are doing it... Was it a choice? If you had a careear before, do you miss it? Do you worry about once your kids are raised you'll don't know what to do?

Subject: Re: Stay At Home Mom

Written By: karen on 11/20/08 at 1:14 pm

When I lived in the UK I did work full time - through choice.  Now we've moved here and I stay at home.

One of the factors might be the availability and cost of child care.  I was lucky to have a good workplace nursery and both my employer and my husband employer provided the option to buy childcare vouchers (Taken from your pay before tax was).

Sometimes I do miss working - mainly because I'm not particularly domestic.  :-\\  Ideally I'd like to go back part-time when/if we go back to the UK.  Providing I can find something suitable

Written By: Jessica on 11/20/08 at 2:47 pm

Well, I was getting ready to start Pharmacy Technician training when I found out I was pregnant with Jason.  I didn't get to continue on with it because I had complications and stuff.  After he was born, I went to work at Target because we were pretty broke.  I quit a few months before we moved out here.  Although we could probably get free childcare from the state or whatever so I could work and we'd be less broke, Rice and I both agree that I should stay home with the boy until he starts school.  After that, I'll probably see if I can swing going back to school or at least get a job at the Walgreen's pharmacy and have them pay for technician training, unless we have other kids.

Written By: karen on 11/20/08 at 3:38 pm

Funny thing...i was thinking of you when i posted this :) 'Cause i knew you worked when you were in the UK and it seemed you were happy with your job.

I enjoyed working more than being at home.  Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but I found the early months very hard.  I missed the adult interaction and I didn't have any female friends to share things with.

Perhaps if I had stayed in my original job I would have tried to negotiate something part-time (because the main element of the job would have worked that way) but I was transferred from there as I started my maternity leave.  I didn't feel I could start negotiating with a new department for a role I had no 'feel' for.

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/20/08 at 6:52 pm

Well, I was getting ready to start Pharmacy Technician training when I found out I was pregnant with Jason.  I didn't get to continue on with it because I had complications and stuff.  After he was born, I went to work at Target because we were pretty broke.  I quit a few months before we moved out here.  Although we could probably get free childcare from the state or whatever so I could work and we'd be less broke, Rice and I both agree that I should stay home with the boy until he starts school.  After that, I'll probably see if I can swing going back to school or at least get a job at the Walgreen's pharmacy and have them pay for technician training, unless we have other kids.

Pharmacies are cool. I think the people who work there know more than doctors but don't tell anyone :-X

When will Jason start school?

I enjoyed working more than being at home.  Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but I found the early months very hard.  I missed the adult interaction and I didn't have any female friends to share things with.

Perhaps if I had stayed in my original job I would have tried to negotiate something part-time (because the main element of the job would have worked that way) but I was transferred from there as I started my maternity leave.  I didn't feel I could start negotiating with a new department for a role I had no 'feel' for.

I don't think it has nothing to do with love, i know moms who spend all day with their kids and are lousy at it. It's all about finding what works for you and your family.

Check for new replies or respond here...