inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are the Christmas gifts that...

Written By: Step-chan on 12/23/08 at 12:57 am

You love to get?

And what are some of Christmas gifts you don't like receiving?

For me, gifts I love to get are candy(easy to please sort of thing), guitar strings and guitar picks(sort of practical, since I play guitar).

Some of the worse gifts to give me are clothes(I buy my own, don't want anyone else giving or buying me any) and cologne(rather useless for someone like me, I don't use the stuff).

Subject: Re: What are the Christmas gifts that...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/08 at 1:14 am

I'm easy & inexpensive. just get me CD's, or DVDs, or books, or fresh coffee beans from Peets and I'm a happy camper

I don't care to get wallets or personal grooming accessories or winter jackets, and don't get me shirts. I am really picky about shirts  ::)

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/23/08 at 1:15 am

Well, I guess I'm partial to just about anything, ..... I suppose some tlc WOULD be nice, but unlikely     :-[     :(   .... BUT .. 'technology' related usually goes down well. Wouldn't mind the latest wiz bang computer, with larger monitor, for example.    8)

Do NOT however, bother to buy me 'Billy Ray Cyrus'  Greatest hits' .  Did he DO anything else besides THAT hit. No ... that was rhetorical .... I don't REALLY want to know !    :P           ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/08 at 1:33 am

I'm not into girly gifts like soaps, bubble baths, perfumes, lotions and stuff

I want my DVDs and Video games and I want them NOW damn it!

I also hate getting undergarments.  that just sucks.. Yes I'm 40 years old and my mom still buys me bras... but I hate buying bras so I appreciate it... I just don't want them for Christmas.

Written By: Davester on 12/23/08 at 1:53 am

Ah, let's see...Jo has a knack for giving me the really good gifts that I would never have thought of.  Ones I've always wanted but never realized it.  One Christmas it was a really nice 'old world' type globe on a cherry stand.  Once it was a large, rustic looking wooden chest with wrought iron fittings.  She said it looked like the one pictured in a book I was reading.  We kept blankets and pillows in it.  Looked super nice in the living room...

To add: I appreciate any gift given to me... :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/08 at 1:58 am

Are we talking movies about ancient Rome, or documentaries?  I have several of the first and a ton of the other...

Ah, let's see...Jo has a knack for giving me the really good gifts that I would never have thought of.  Ones I've always wanted but never realized it.  One Christmas it was a really nice 'old world' type globe on a cherry stand.  Once it was a large, rustic looking wooden chest with wrought iron fittings.  She said it looked like the one pictured in a book I was reading.  We kept blankets and pillows in it.  Looked super nice in the living room...

To add: I appreciate any gift given to me... :)

Davester...she's really thoughtful. 

Written By: Davester on 12/23/08 at 2:01 am

Davester...she's really thoughtful. 

If only I were so.  I'm not good at shopping, but I try... ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/08 at 2:09 am

If only I were so.  I'm not good at shopping, but I try... ;D

taking and making mental notes helps. gotta train your mind to do it.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020lsnFBJf98A_gKjzbkF/SIG=12ckiuqft/EXP=1230106092/**http%3A//www.customersarealways.com/uploads/yoda-thumb.jpg  don't try......Do!

Written By: Davester on 12/23/08 at 2:16 am

taking and making mental notes helps. gotta train your mind to do it.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020lsnFBJf98A_gKjzbkF/SIG=12ckiuqft/EXP=1230106092/**http%3A//www.customersarealways.com/uploads/yoda-thumb.jpg  don't try......Do!

Groove on, Jedimaster!!! 8)

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/23/08 at 2:24 am

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/08 at 2:58 am

it's rather disheartening that there are gifts we don't like. I guess we're just used to getting things and have gotten a bit spoiled and picky. Go on a missionary trip to a poor Mexican village sometime and see how they live & when you return you are so much more appreciative of what you have.
that being said,  I don't like getting wrist watches because I don't wear them.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/08 at 3:00 am

it's rather disheartening that there are gifts we don't like. I guess we're just used to getting things and have gotten a bit spoiled and picky. Go on a missionary trip to a poor Mexican village sometime and see how they live & when you return you are so much more appreciative of what you have.
that being said,  I don't like getting wrist watches because I don't wear them.  ::)

whew... glad I put that rolex I was going to send you back  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/08 at 3:01 am

whew... glad I put that rolex I was going to send you back  ;D
hold the phone Chuck! If it's the real thing, I could sell it and feed that village for a month

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/08 at 3:12 am

hold the phone Chuck! If it's the real thing, I could sell it and feed that village for a month

too late you're stuck with the Bad Boys dvd  :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/08 at 3:15 am

too late you're stuck with the Bad Boys dvd  :P
that's fine. that movie is worth more to me sentimentally  8)

Written By: Howard on 12/23/08 at 6:08 am

Music and Wrestling.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/23/08 at 7:29 am

Every year my mom buys me a case of toilet paper, paper towels, laundry soap and dishwasher soap.  As lame as it sounds, that is one of my fave gifts.  I haven't had to buy dishwasher soap in 3 years. 

She also makes homemade beef jerky.  Yummy.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/23/08 at 10:55 am

I love rustic things, too!  8)

Last year my hubby gave me a lovely set of Henckel's kitchen knives, and I absolutely love them and use them all the time.  I also love receiving gift cards to my favorite stores...especially Pier 1 Imports or Ross.

Things I don't like receiving:

~ Crystal dishes or candleholders
~ Perfumed soaps
~ Clothes (it's one of those things that I have to pick out myself!)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/08 at 11:57 am

Carlos & I stopped giving each other gifts years ago. We will usually buy a gift for both of us-in the past it has been our satellite dish, a DVD recorder, etc. etc. This year it is a snow blower.  :D ;D ;D ;D  Carlos is a bit upset because I haven't done anything with last year's gift-a turntable that connects to the computer so you can transfer LPs onto CDs. Of course I have had nothing but computer problems since we go it. Now that the computer is working the way it is supposed to, I can try to figure out how to do it. 

As for the kids, we tell them NOT to buy us anything but we will accept homemade gifts or something personal like photos. We don't need any more STUFF!!! We have a HUGE house and there is STUFF everywhere.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/23/08 at 12:07 pm

I love getting books, esp. ones with big, colorful photos. I guess those are called coffee table books. I also like reading biographies. I got several in the last couple of Christmas', such as: Audrey Hepburn, Winston Churchill, The Roosevelts, etc.

Anything Disney related makes me happy. I like M.I. Hummel items, or things that look similar to that. Victorian decor makes me very happy. See's Candies are a top notch gift.

Gift cards are always accepted  ;D

I don't mind getting some clothes, but getting me jeans is a sure hassle because I am short and most jeans that say they're short are still too long, so it can be hard on everyone to get me that kind of item. I don't mind most shirts though, as I can usually fit in sizes between small and medium (depending on the maker.)

I LOVE Music and Movies, so you'll have a hard time disappointing me there.

Craft items also make me pretty happy.

Let's say most items really make me happy.

Probably a few I wouldn't really want are undergarments (I agree with you on that one, Q). My mom and boyfriend would probably be the only two who could work that out okay.

I don't think I'd want fruitcake, unless it's homemade by someone I trust  ;D I don't want someone just throwing some crap together and getting away with calling it "fruitcake."

No coal, please  :(

And, to be honest, I don't want anything having to do with insurance because I work in that field, so don't surprise me with a life insurance policy  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/23/08 at 12:09 pm

Every year my mom buys me a case of toilet paper, paper towels, laundry soap and dishwasher soap.  As lame as it sounds, that is one of my fave gifts.  I haven't had to buy dishwasher soap in 3 years. 

Ohh, I used to LOVE homemade beef jerky. Those all sound like fantastic gifts, Dag!  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/23/08 at 2:31 pm

Is that good,How does she make it? ???

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/23/08 at 7:46 pm

I love mostly CDs, DVDs, and gift cards for gifts. The only kind of gift I don't like to receive are jigsaw puzzles. Someone gave me this gazillion-piece puzzle for my 18th birthday. It sat collecting dust in my closet for 8 years before I finally tossed it in a bag full of stuff and donated it to Goodwill.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/08 at 7:55 pm

I don't like getting cologne

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/23/08 at 9:25 pm

I like getting Civil War books or anything about history in general.  DVDs of 80's shows and cartoons are always acceptable.  Anything with either the Monkees or Monty Python.  Gift cards are OK.

What you shouldn't get me is clothes, perfumes stuff like that.

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/08 at 12:35 am

mmm beef jerky... how do I get on her list?  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/08 at 12:38 am

Carlos is a bit upset because I haven't done anything with last year's gift-a turntable that connects to the computer so you can transfer LPs onto CDs. Of course I have had nothing but computer problems since we go it. Now that the computer is working the way it is supposed to, I can try to figure out how to do it. 

Cat

I bought myself one of those two years ago and only used it once... couldn't figure out how to convert the song to MP3 but I may know how.. I just got made when I was looking them up a couple months later and now they make them with an ipod dock. You park your ipod in the dock and the music is automatically transferred there.. no infernal problems with the software.  >:(  oh and the better version is about 40 bucks cheaper.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/08 at 12:39 am

I like getting Civil War books or anything about history in general.  DVDs of 80's shows and cartoons are always acceptable.  Anything with either the Monkees or Monty Python.  Gift cards are OK.

What you shouldn't get me is clothes, perfumes stuff like that.
that triggered a Christmas gift idea for me that can never go wrong. anything Beatles related, music, books, pics, keychains  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/24/08 at 12:44 am

I'm not real picky and I try to be happy with what people get me. I love getting the perfume that I wear, DVD's, gift cards, stuff for around the house, antiques, etc.

I don't really like when others try to buy me clothes..I am pretty picky with that kind of stuff. I also don't like things like potholders, puzzles, or like ceramic figurines.

Written By: Howard on 12/24/08 at 6:50 am

I don't like getting cologne

Is it the smell?  ???

Written By: Step-chan on 12/24/08 at 11:10 pm

Well, at least what I don't like is somewhat more expensive stuff.(Except video games and anime, but I buy that stuff myself)

With me, cologne is a bad idea(although I don't show a bad attitude when getting it). I just don't like the smell of the stuff in general and simply won't wear it.

Clothes are also a waste to buy me, mainly because I am horribly picky about what I will wear. I don't wear clothing with any writing or art on it(not even anime stuff) simply because I don't want to be a walking advertisement. Watches are something else I won't wear, but I would keep just to check.

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/08 at 9:22 am

DVDs, Gift Cards and Chocolate.  That's what I like to get

One thing I hate getting for Christmas is things that I need like shirts, socks, etc.  For me, Christmas is all about getting the fun things that aren't essential to survival in life like video games, movies, etc lol

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/27/08 at 10:34 am

DVDs, Gift Cards and Chocolate.  That's what I like to get

One thing I hate getting for Christmas is things that I need like shirts, socks, etc.  For me, Christmas is all about getting the fun things that aren't essential to survival in life like video games, movies, etc lol

AMEN BROTHER

And my husband is a complete opposite (he likes getting socks and underwear :-\\ :-\\ :-\\) 

I love little not so much needed trinkets and baubles. 

Christmas ornaments - I love :D
Christmas socks - I hate >:(
Perfume - I love :D
Toothpaste/body soap/cracked heel cream - I hate >:(
CD's and DVD's - I love :D
T-shirts - I hate >:(
Electronic gizmo's (including wii Fit) - I love :D
Thigh Master (OR ANY OTHER EXERCISE EQUIPMENT) - I hate >:(
Cross Country Ski's/Sled's/and Snow mobiles - I love :D
Shovels, deicer, and salt - I hate >:(
JEWELRY - I love :D
Jewelry cleaner - I hate >:(

Usually the necessities I will buy; but I do not buy myself the frivolous doo dads - small or large....

I also do not want something that I have to do something with (scrapbooking, sewing machine, quilt kit,  etc....  I have received several of these AND I DON"T HAVE TIME!!!!) 

No Gift Cards to store also - I only go shopping rarely and I never have the card when I go - don't use them, don't like them, I WANT SOMETHING THAT TOOK THOUGHT DANG IT)

That's my thoughts, you can send all gifts to me at PO box 160................ ;D ;D ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...