inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Christmas Dinner

Written By: ADH13 on 12/25/08 at 10:52 pm

What do you generally have for dinner on Christmas?

I had never heard of turkey for Christmas dinner until I moved to California, but now we (my mom's family) have turkey every Christmas.

When I was in NY with my dad's family, we always had turkey for Thanksgiving and lasagna for Christmas.

My husband's family always had tamales.

Subject: Re: Christmas Dinner

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/25/08 at 10:56 pm

Beings that I am mostly Italian, we usually do an Italian meal of some sort...with an assortment of misc. side dishes.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/25/08 at 10:56 pm

My mom usually does a cold ham and cheese, potato salad and crab legs.  Easy stuff to pick at all day.  Today we did turkey with the trimmings, though.  My sister missed Thanksgiving so we made up for it.  Yay for leftovers!

Written By: Tam on 12/25/08 at 11:53 pm

Growing up, we always had turkey on Christmas - with all the fixin's.

Now, Nasty, The Son and I do ham.
Tonight we had ham, green beans, collard greens, mashed potatoes with bacon and of course dinner rolls.
They ate the ham and I ate left over Chinese food.

I am not a fan of ham! 8-P ;D ;D

Written By: Jessica on 12/26/08 at 3:05 am

I am not a fan of ham! 8-P ;D ;D

BLASPHEMY! :D

We had ham, pasta salad, macaroni salad, deviled eggs, and bread rolls.  We had fruit salad, chocolate cake (it was my aunt's birthday), lemon meringue pie, and pecan pie for dessert.

Christmas Eve we went to my grandmother's house for dinner (potluck, mainly).  Everyone contributed, so we had turkey, ham, macaroni salad, potato salad, menudo, and tamales.

Written By: Gis on 12/26/08 at 4:19 am

Growing up it was always turkey but the last couple of year we have had beef. We had beef last night with veggies and it was delicious.

Followed by christmas pudding or triffle.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/08 at 6:25 am

We have always had a turkey dinner at Thanksgiving and Christmas, as did most of my friends.  My friends who were of Italian descent usually had roast beef and lasagna and we would hit each others houses for dessert.  In high school some of us would make a point to visit each others homes during the holidays for dessert, pie at one, zabaglione or pizzelle at another, kugel at another.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/26/08 at 6:27 am

I don't celebrate Christmas,I'm Jewish.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/08 at 6:38 am

I don't celebrate Christmas,I'm Jewish.

Happy Holidays!  Does your family do anything at Hanukkah?  I grew up in a small city with a large Jewish population and always liked the tradition of Hanukkah more than Christmas.  My first best friend was Jewish and his family had let me come over to watch them light the Menorah and I got to spin the dreidle.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/26/08 at 6:40 am

Happy Holidays!  Does your family do anything at Hanukkah?  I grew up in a small city with a large Jewish population and always liked the tradition of Hanukkah more than Christmas.  My first best friend was Jewish and his family had let me come over to watch them light the Menorah and I got to spin the dreidle.  :)

No unfortunately we're not that jewish,we're unorthadox but unfortunately I had to work that day Danoota.  :(

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/08 at 6:49 am

No unfortunately we're not that jewish,we're unorthadox but unfortunately I had to work that day Danoota.  :(

But reformed celebrate Hannukah. 

Written By: Howard on 12/26/08 at 6:51 am

But reformed celebrate Hannukah.   

Yes that's true I guess I forgot to ask for a day off.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/08 at 6:53 am

Yes that's true I guess I forgot to ask for a day off.

It not whether you celebrate or not, it is what you hold in your heart.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/26/08 at 6:54 am

It not whether you celebrate or not, it is what you hold in your heart.   ;)

Yes that's true,Merry Christmas. :)

Written By: Midas on 12/26/08 at 10:37 am

My mom re-married into an Italian family so yesterday we had homemade lasagna, meatballs, braciole, salad and bread.

Christmas Eve at my fiancé's parents we had rib roast, potatoes and vegetables. :)

Written By: Paul on 12/26/08 at 10:40 am

I've seen enough food over the last 48 hours to last me through to New Year!  :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/26/08 at 11:56 am

When I was growing up, my family always cooked a turkey for Christmas dinner...but to me it always seemed like an exact copy of Thanksgiving dinner (which was only 3 weeks prior to that)...and I'd always grow tired of having so much turkey over a short period...

Since I've been married, my husband and I have gotten used to cooking a Prime Rib Roast for Christmas dinner...with Yorkshire Pudding (yum!), mashed potatoes and gravy, and a vegetable...

On rare occasions we'll cook a ham...but I prefer a rib roast as they're so tasty!  :D

Written By: ninny on 12/26/08 at 12:03 pm

My dad cooked Prime Rib with mashed potatoes & gravy,he also had  cooked carrots/celery/onions mixed and had homemade rolls.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/26/08 at 3:26 pm

Turkey, stuffing, green beans, noodles and non-alcoholic wine.  My parents packed my fridge with leftovers.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/26/08 at 7:51 pm

This year, it was turkey, stuffing, mixed veggies, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and apple pie.  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/26/08 at 8:09 pm

Usually it was turkey or ham.  This year, being that we didn't want too much fuss...dad made shake 'n' bake chicken.  It was good (since I never make it).

After I came home to be with hubby (and his family), we had ham and salad and a nice raw veggie and dip tray.  Very simple dinner and was very nice.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/27/08 at 10:22 am

Can I come for dinner anyone?????

We never seem to have a "good" Christmas dinner - unless I make it for the 4 of us.

My mom (god love her) - terrible cook (she leaves the Turkey out to dethaw on the counter, moves it about 4 different places and eventually sits it in the dish drying rack as a strainer  :o :o :o :o- can we spell Salmonella breeding ground :P :P :P)  I have a coniption each time we are there and can not relax - I am not sure how I survived.  She puts the stuffing in the turkey and the turkey either comes out much like the Turkey on the Griswald's or Raw 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P.  Thank god she made ham this year (but it was open and next to turkey - was that from Thanksgiving????? in the fridge).  Just a pressed boneless ham nothing special.  Yams from a can with MARSHMALLOWS :P on top and mashed potatoes from a box (still lumpy ???).  Ice Cream for dessert. And she will not come to our house, or go out to eat - so I am forced to endure this :-[ :-[ :-[.  (I tell my husband I was forced to learn how to cook out of neccessity)

My husbands mother - we are having Maid Rites (loose meat hamburger on a bun 8-P 8-P 8-P). 

NO CHRISTMAS FEAST HERE, were is Whooville so I can get some roast beast ??? ??? ??? :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Man I am thinking about making a lasagna and taking it to his mom's tonight (would that be an insult????????)  Honestly I am asking :( :( :( :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/08 at 11:15 am

In my family we ALWAYS had turkey. In Carlos' family, they ALWAYS had a Puerto Rican dinner-roast pork with rice & beans. A few years back, we had Christmas here and after debate of which one to have, turkey won out (because I wanted turkey & so did Carlos' son). His daughters kept bitching throughout the dinner that it wasn't roast pork. I wanted to deck them.

This year, we celebrated Christmas on the 24th with the kids-roast pork with rice & beans. Then on Christmas day, we were in Conn. at my sisters who served (you guessed it) turkey. So this year we had both.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/27/08 at 1:32 pm

We never seem to have a "good" Christmas dinner - unless I make it for the 4 of us.

My mom (god love her) - terrible cook (she leaves the Turkey out to dethaw on the counter, moves it about 4 different places and eventually sits it in the dish drying rack as a strainer  :o :o :o :o- can we spell Salmonella breeding ground :P :P :P)  I have a coniption each time we are there and can not relax - I am not sure how I survived.  She puts the stuffing in the turkey and the turkey either comes out much like the Turkey on the Griswald's or Raw 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P.  Thank god she made ham this year (but it was open and next to turkey - was that from Thanksgiving????? in the fridge).  Just a pressed boneless ham nothing special.  Yams from a can with MARSHMALLOWS :P on top and mashed potatoes from a box (still lumpy ???).  Ice Cream for dessert. And she will not come to our house, or go out to eat - so I am forced to endure this :-[ :-[ :-[.  (I tell my husband I was forced to learn how to cook out of neccessity)

My husbands mother - we are having Maid Rites (loose meat hamburger on a bun 8-P 8-P 8-P). 

NO CHRISTMAS FEAST HERE, were is Whooville so I can get some roast beast ??? ??? ??? :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Man I am thinking about making a lasagna and taking it to his mom's tonight (would that be an insult????????)  Honestly I am asking :( :( :( :(

Hands Sami a plate of turkey, stuffing, green beans and noodles (my Mom's specialty).  Offers her a lemon bar and some cookies.  Sorry, no Mountain Dew to wash it all down.  I think there's still a bottle of sparkling grape juice in the fridge.

Make the lasagna, for the sake of the family.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/27/08 at 4:12 pm

Make the lasagna, or anything else.  Do it for your own sake.  That and a big tossed salad and a loaf of Italian bread.  No reason you should risk a gastro intestinal Christmas

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/08 at 10:41 pm

for the last fifteen years or longer we started eating steak and lobster tails for Christmas. sometimes we have crab instead...this year my mom was so happy to have me home she made all three  ;D 

and Sweet Potato Pie (which she's never made- it was good) and  oh and there were potatoes the way her mom made them growing up. They're fried but they are cubed not frenched.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/27/08 at 10:50 pm

Hands Sami a plate of turkey, stuffing, green beans and noodles (my Mom's specialty).  Offers her a lemon bar and some cookies.  Sorry, no Mountain Dew to wash it all down.  I think there's still a bottle of sparkling grape juice in the fridge.

Make the lasagna, for the sake of the family.

Make the lasagna, or anything else.  Do it for your own sake.  That and a big tossed salad and a loaf of Italian bread.  No reason you should risk a gastro intestinal Christmas
I made the lasagna and everybody ate it - not a piece left...  Guess I am not the only one ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the meal Reynolds; it was delicious, no worry about the Mountain Dew - I am a coke drinker, but my next greatest love is sparkling grape juice :) :) :)  I love homemade noodles, my mother used to make them before she lost all cooking skills and etiquette :-\\ :-\\ :-\\  I am now trying to learn to make them...  If all else fails a bag of frozen will work - or the amish are just a town over and they make delicious dried egg noodles I can make :) :) :)

Written By: Dude111 on 12/28/08 at 2:19 am

I had a yummy turkey dinner :)

Written By: gibbo on 12/28/08 at 2:45 am

I actually feel sorry for you. ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/28/08 at 7:13 am

I actually feel sorry for you. ;D
Don't feel sorry (OK maybe you should ;D ;D ;D)  I actually can cook quite well (my husband always asks how - and I tell him it was out of necessity ;))  So I will make our own (the 4 of us) feast - but it never has all the trimmings, because it is always just 4 of us.  I usually get a beef tenderloin or a rib roast (the tenderloin is our favorite) and make a dinner.  This year because we were traveling and did not get home till Christmas day, and the poor weather to get to town and shop; we have not had anything yet :( :( :(  MAYBE FOR NEW YEARS. 

All of your guys food was sounding so yummy, and last night was my in-laws Christmas and the "feast" was - loose meat Maid Rite Sandwiches (loose hamurger), potato chips (plain or barbeque), chip dip, and a carrot/pineapple/velveeta jello mold :P.  It was all safe to eat probably - unlike my mothers - but why would one serve that for a family Christmas (and it isn't a money thing- or a beef thing - they are cattle producers)????  How about a soup supper????  My husband knew to warn me; that is were I came up with making my "lasagna" that everyone likes - and obviously everyone did! ;D ;D ;D ;D  ALong with my fruit platter - it was completely gone by the end of the night as well  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/28/08 at 7:15 am

I had a yummy turkey dinner :)
ARE YOU RUBBING IT IN >:(

;)

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Stompgal on 12/28/08 at 11:48 am

I am staying with my family for Christmas at the moment. For Christmas dinner we had turkey and gammon with pigs in blankets, homemade bread sauce, homemeade cranberry sauce, gravy, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and a selection of vegetables (including red cabbage with onion). We had leftovers from the Christmas dinner on Boxing Day.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/29/08 at 9:24 pm

On Dec. 27th, we had another family get-together at my mother-in-laws.  As it was 70 degrees (21 celcius) which is remarkably uncommon for Pittsburgh in December, we had a bonfire and hamburgers and hotdogs and a vegetable plate with dip.  It was kinda like a Christmas picnic.  Santa (hubby's cousin) even made an appearance.  He passed out pairs of socks.  (Don't ask.)  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/08 at 10:31 am

On Dec. 27th, we had another family get-together at my mother-in-laws.  As it was 70 degrees (21 celcius) which is remarkably uncommon for Pittsburgh in December, we had a bonfire and hamburgers and hotdogs and a vegetable plate with dip.  It was kinda like a Christmas picnic.  Santa (hubby's cousin) even made an appearance.  He passed out pairs of socks.  (Don't ask.)  ;D

aw but inquiring minds want to know

Check for new replies or respond here...