inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 6 months.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/06/09 at 2:16 pm

I quit smoking on July 7th, 2008, which was 6 months ago today.

So far, so good.  ;)

Subject: Re: 6 months.

Written By: Tia on 01/06/09 at 2:18 pm

congrats! i quit, hell, it's probably five years ago or so, actually. kicking liquor would be a smart next move. too bad the world's too sheeshy to be in sober.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/06/09 at 2:24 pm

congrats! i quit, hell, it's probably five years ago or so, actually. kicking liquor would be a smart next move. too bad the world's too sheeshy to be in sober.

I've actually cut back quite a bit on my drinking, mainly because I can't really afford to go out much right now.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/06/09 at 2:27 pm

Congrats, Al-B. How'd you do it and manage to stay quit?

signature banned as well

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/09 at 2:28 pm

So far, so good.  ;)

YAY!!! WTG!!! How did you do it? With or without help? We did it with help (Chantix).

BTW, you quit on my youngest step-daughter's birthday.

Oh and karma to you.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 01/06/09 at 2:33 pm

Congrats, Al.  Keep it up. :)

Written By: Howard on 01/06/09 at 2:35 pm

congratulations Al,It must've been hard to quit. :)

Written By: Paul on 01/06/09 at 3:00 pm

He probably stopped putting cigarettes in his mouth and lighting them (then repeated ad infinitum!)

Seriously, a fantastic achievement and well done to anyone else who's managed to pack up the smokes... :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/06/09 at 3:59 pm

I've heard how difficult it can be to quit smoking...

My mother-in-law had stopped for a short time but then started up again (makes me glad that I've never tried smoking!)...

Congrats on being smoke-free for 6 months, Al!  :) 

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/06/09 at 4:08 pm

Wonderful news, Al.  Here's some karma to your continued success.

Written By: Paul on 01/06/09 at 4:15 pm

I've heard how difficult it can be to quit smoking...

My mother-in-law had stopped for a short time but then started up again (makes me glad that I've never tried smoking!)...

Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs known to man, so weaning yourself off of it is no mean feat...

A lot of it is down to determination and willpower...

Written By: statsqueen on 01/06/09 at 5:14 pm

Congratulations, Al!  I think that is wonderful.  WTG!

Written By: ninny on 01/06/09 at 5:54 pm

Way to go..Congratulations here's to another 6 months. :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/06/09 at 6:05 pm

Congratulations and keep going for another 6 months

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/06/09 at 6:19 pm

Ah but would you say no to her?

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/9863/00119362zoomark8.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/06/09 at 6:34 pm

signature banned as well

It wasn't planned. I mean, I'd been wanting to quit for some time but never really set a date for myself or anything.

Then on the Fourth of July I went to a friends house, and he and all his neighbors were having a block party. For the occasion I had with me a pack-and-a-half of Marlboro Lights and a fine Honduran cigar. I managed to smoke all those and then some over the next 6-8 hours.

When I got up the next morning I felt like pure ass. If I would have climbed on top of a speeding steam locomotive and stuck my head into the smokestack and breathed nothing but that for three hours straight I probably wouldn't have felt much worse.

So I was like "Screw this, I'm done with it, I've had enough, no more, no mas," and all that, and I made up my mind that I was finally going to quit once and for all. I went on the patch for the first week and did all right. After another week I went to the bar and had a few beers just to prove to myself that I could drink without smoking, because really that was the hardest part. Once I got past that it wasn't too bad, although the next month I was really cranky and irritable at work and it got rather tough at times, but after about 2 months I was home free.

Now here's the weird thing, and I hope you all don't call BS on me or think I'm cheating: When I go out to the bar I still might bum a smoke from one of my friends, but I never inhale. Maybe part of it is the social aspect of it, maybe part of it is that I like the way cigarette smoke tastes with beer, but I've reprogrammed myself to believe that actually inhaling cigarette smoke is disgusting and repulsive.  But I hardly even do that anymore.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs known to man, so weaning yourself off of it is no mean feat...

A lot of it is down to determination and willpower...

True, you have to really want to do it. What I figured out and what I tell people is that you have to do it for YOU.

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/06/09 at 7:22 pm

The ritual of smoking a cigarette is almost as addictive as the nicotine! I smoked for 15 years and having a cigarette was usually my reward for something:  "I'll finish this pile of work and have a cigarette", "I'll finish this meal and have a cigarette".  It's a very tough cycle to break, but I mean what I say, it does get easier!  Hang in there  :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/06/09 at 7:51 pm

Way to go, Al! I wish you continued success!  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/09 at 7:52 pm

So far, so good.  ;)

EXCELLENT!!! I'm happy for you!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/06/09 at 7:59 pm

So far, so good.  ;)
outstanding AL-B.  get ya a case of beer for your good work thus far

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/06/09 at 11:08 pm

The ritual of smoking a cigarette is almost as addictive as the nicotine! I smoked for 15 years and having a cigarette was usually my reward for something:  "I'll finish this pile of work and have a cigarette", "I'll finish this meal and have a cigarette".  It's a very tough cycle to break, but I mean what I say, it does get easier!  Hang in there  :)

There's only one time I really miss smoking: When I'm out going for a drive on a nice day.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/09 at 11:12 pm

way to go, Al. :)

Written By: NbC on 01/07/09 at 5:02 am

Congrats!  And here is to another 6 months.

You just added more years to your life and more money in your pocketbook.  Always a good thing. 

Written By: Howard on 01/07/09 at 6:44 am

Ah but would you say no to her?

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/9863/00119362zoomark8.jpg

I know I wouldn't.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/09 at 11:12 am

There's only one time I really miss smoking: When I'm out going for a drive on a nice day.

You are doing better than me. I only really miss smoking ALL THE TIME.

Cat

Written By: C. Luless on 01/07/09 at 12:09 pm

???SCARY KARMA TO ME!

I've been teetering on the verge of pneumonia and actually AM scared that I haven't stopped smoking yet.  I don't think it's the nicotene, it's the habit of coming downstairs to m computer to get a surreal getaway from my little evil spawns of satan (joke there...mostly).  It's habit of a habit.  Maybe a little proverbial kick in the behind side of myself would help?  I've tried a couple of the drugs, they make me stutter - seriously.  So, here I am, smoking inbetween replies, waiting for a lightning bolt or an asthma attack to help me make that big step.  8-P

help??  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/09 at 12:21 pm

???SCARY KARMA TO ME!

I've been teetering on the verge of pneumonia and actually AM scared that I haven't stopped smoking yet.  I don't think it's the nicotene, it's the habit of coming downstairs to m computer to get a surreal getaway from my little evil spawns of satan (joke there...mostly).  It's habit of a habit.  Maybe a little proverbial kick in the behind side of myself would help?  I've tried a couple of the drugs, they make me stutter - seriously.  So, here I am, smoking inbetween replies, waiting for a lightning bolt or an asthma attack to help me make that big step.   8-P

Try www.quitnet.com

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/07/09 at 7:27 pm

???SCARY KARMA TO ME!

I've been teetering on the verge of pneumonia and actually AM scared that I haven't stopped smoking yet.  I don't think it's the nicotene, it's the habit of coming downstairs to m computer to get a surreal getaway from my little evil spawns of satan (joke there...mostly).  It's habit of a habit.  Maybe a little proverbial kick in the behind side of myself would help?  I've tried a couple of the drugs, they make me stutter - seriously.  So, here I am, smoking inbetween replies, waiting for a lightning bolt or an asthma attack to help me make that big step.   8-P

Have you tried cold turkey?

Written By: karen on 01/07/09 at 10:22 pm

It's nice with chips and a side order of bubble and squeak.  ;)

Congrats on making it to six months Al

Written By: C. Luless on 01/07/09 at 10:23 pm

Yeah, but I don't like it much - too dry.

Sorry, couldn't resist  :-[

Actually I have and did stop for 6 months when I was pregnant.  Then I had to go to court, got nervous and made a pit stop for smokes.  I felt like a teenager trying to score a pack or sneak a beer, and I was 30!  How sad :\'(

Anyhow, I'm trying the most stupid way of stopping.  I am smoking everytime I don't want to, therefore it's making me gag, which in turn reinforces my desire and need to quit.  8-P 8-P Yes, I know you're all rolling your eyes and I would too if I heard this - but think about it this way...

Have any of you ever over-served yourself on let's say tequila and got very sick and can't smell of even talk about tequila anymore without throwing up a little in your mouth?  Hope it's not just me that has done that, but I haven't touched it since!  And actually my odd way of thinking is working.  As of midnight tonight (I'm in central time and it's 10pm now), I plan to have my last smoke to be put out at the stroke of midnight, crush what's left and throw my icky ashtray away.  I don't want to tell anyone in my family for fear I'll fail and dissapoint them, although they are very supportive.  I'm just ready, and no matter what addicition or situation you have that you are able to correct - you can't do it until YOU ARE READY!  

So in whatever way you say your prayers or good wishes, I could use them.  I could really use them.

Thanks for letting me type this out in visible form so I can re-read it if I come downstairs to my little sanctuary in temptation.  Maybe for a change, seeing it and not just thinking or talking about it, I can see my own plight in my own words and will actually beat the beast this time.  For this time, I AM READY! >:(

Also, it would be the greatest gift I could give my little 7 yr old daughter who kicked cancer's butt last year.  The guilt has been more than I can bare anymore.  NO, I never smoked in front of my kids, but they too have enough knowledge about smoking to lately say "Mom, please quit so you don't get sick and die cuz we love you".  If that don't do it for me along with everything else I've done to prepare for this night...nothing will.  

I AM READY!!!

Written By: Howard on 01/08/09 at 6:59 am

Sorry, couldn't resist  :-[

Actually I have and did stop for 6 months when I was pregnant.  Then I had to go to court, got nervous and made a pit stop for smokes.  I felt like a teenager trying to score a pack or sneak a beer, and I was 30!  How sad :\'(

Anyhow, I'm trying the most stupid way of stopping.  I am smoking everytime I don't want to, therefore it's making me gag, which in turn reinforces my desire and need to quit.  8-P 8-P Yes, I know you're all rolling your eyes and I would too if I heard this - but think about it this way...

Have any of you ever over-served yourself on let's say tequila and got very sick and can't smell of even talk about tequila anymore without throwing up a little in your mouth?  Hope it's not just me that has done that, but I haven't touched it since!  And actually my odd way of thinking is working.  As of midnight tonight (I'm in central time and it's 10pm now), I plan to have my last smoke to be put out at the stroke of midnight, crush what's left and throw my icky ashtray away.  I don't want to tell anyone in my family for fear I'll fail and dissapoint them, although they are very supportive.  I'm just ready, and no matter what addicition or situation you have that you are able to correct - you can't do it until YOU ARE READY!  

So in whatever way you say your prayers or good wishes, I could use them.  I could really use them.

Thanks for letting me type this out in visible form so I can re-read it if I come downstairs to my little sanctuary in temptation.  Maybe for a change, seeing it and not just thinking or talking about it, I can see my own plight in my own words and will actually beat the beast this time.  For this time, I AM READY! >:(

Also, it would be the greatest gift I could give my little 7 yr old daughter who kicked cancer's butt last year.  The guilt has been more than I can bare anymore.  NO, I never smoked in front of my kids, but they too have enough knowledge about smoking to lately say "Mom, please quit so you don't get sick and die cuz we love you".  If that don't do it for me along with everything else I've done to prepare for this night...nothing will.  

I AM READY!!!

Good Luck with your situation,Clue. ;)

Written By: Tia on 01/08/09 at 7:09 am

Sorry, couldn't resist  :-[

Actually I have and did stop for 6 months when I was pregnant.  Then I had to go to court, got nervous and made a pit stop for smokes.  I felt like a teenager trying to score a pack or sneak a beer, and I was 30!  How sad :\'(

Anyhow, I'm trying the most stupid way of stopping.  I am smoking everytime I don't want to, therefore it's making me gag, which in turn reinforces my desire and need to quit.  8-P 8-P Yes, I know you're all rolling your eyes and I would too if I heard this - but think about it this way...

Have any of you ever over-served yourself on let's say tequila and got very sick and can't smell of even talk about tequila anymore without throwing up a little in your mouth?  Hope it's not just me that has done that, but I haven't touched it since!  And actually my odd way of thinking is working.  As of midnight tonight (I'm in central time and it's 10pm now), I plan to have my last smoke to be put out at the stroke of midnight, crush what's left and throw my icky ashtray away.  I don't want to tell anyone in my family for fear I'll fail and dissapoint them, although they are very supportive.  I'm just ready, and no matter what addicition or situation you have that you are able to correct - you can't do it until YOU ARE READY! 

So in whatever way you say your prayers or good wishes, I could use them.  I could really use them.

Thanks for letting me type this out in visible form so I can re-read it if I come downstairs to my little sanctuary in temptation.  Maybe for a change, seeing it and not just thinking or talking about it, I can see my own plight in my own words and will actually beat the beast this time.  For this time, I AM READY! >:(

Also, it would be the greatest gift I could give my little 7 yr old daughter who kicked cancer's butt last year.  The guilt has been more than I can bare anymore.  NO, I never smoked in front of my kids, but they too have enough knowledge about smoking to lately say "Mom, please quit so you don't get sick and die cuz we love you".  If that don't do it for me along with everything else I've done to prepare for this night...nothing will. 

I AM READY!!!
god be with you and your daughter, clue. i hate hate hate hate cancer.

the way i quit was, i took two weeks off from work, and totally spoiled myself rotten. only rule was, no cigarettes. other than that, if i wanted it, i got it. mcdonald's chocolate milkshakes, like three a day. endless godzilla movies. all the beer i wanted to drink. and, erm, der spliffies in ample quantities. just kinda kept myself in a mellow sleepy state until the cravings subsided; that's the thing, if you can get yourself on the far side of that 10-day withdrawal period, your chance of making it for good go way way up. and i respond more to carrots than to sticks. ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/08/09 at 10:26 am

Sorry, couldn't resist  :-Have any of you ever over-served yourself on let's say tequila and got very sick and can't smell of even talk about tequila anymore without throwing up a little in your mouth?  Hope it's not just me that has done that, but I haven't touched it since!  And actually my odd way of thinking is working.  As of midnight tonight (I'm in central time and it's 10pm now), I plan to have my last smoke to be put out at the stroke of midnight, crush what's left and throw my icky ashtray away.  I don't want to tell anyone in my family for fear I'll fail and dissapoint them, although they are very supportive.  I'm just ready, and no matter what addicition or situation you have that you are able to correct - you can't do it until YOU ARE READY!  

I AM READY!!!

I wish you the best of luck, and if you need any support or have any questions, feel free to ask me anytime.  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/08/09 at 10:30 am

Congratulations!  Best of luck on your continued success

Written By: C. Luless on 01/08/09 at 1:49 pm

Thank you ALL so much for the care and support :).  It's been a TOUGH 14 hours since it's a regular morning routine to start my day.  I've noticed a lot of coughing, the icky kind 8-P and have been told to expect that for months to come!  Is that true??  I have the rubberband on my wrist, carrot sticks, candy cigarretts (which has oddly helped more than I thought) and most of all my kids continuing to watch every move I make when I come down to my computer.  Again, I cannot thank you enough.  I've actually thought maybe this place wasn't for me since all I seem to do is ask questions.  But I think I'll keep on trying and learning from you all and try to not feel so intimidated by doing something wrong.  Not inappropriate or hurtful to anyone wrong, but just  wrong on where to post, what's ok and not already done, etc...

Again, thanks so much for caring enough to reply to me since I'm new and I know you all have a much tighter bond since you've been talking to each other longer.  It again proves I'll keep coming here, but also I probably won't post much since I don't want to over-reply my welcom.

On that note... :-[

Written By: Jessica on 01/08/09 at 1:54 pm

Thank you ALL so much for the care and support :).  It's been a TOUGH 14 hours since it's a regular morning routine to start my day.  I've noticed a lot of coughing, the icky kind 8-P and have been told to expect that for months to come!  Is that true??  I have the rubberband on my wrist, carrot sticks, candy cigarretts (which has oddly helped more than I thought) and most of all my kids continuing to watch every move I make when I come down to my computer.  Again, I cannot thank you enough.  I've actually thought maybe this place wasn't for me since all I seem to do is ask questions.  But I think I'll keep on trying and learning from you all and try to not feel so intimidated by doing something wrong.  Not inappropriate or hurtful to anyone wrong, but just  wrong on where to post, what's ok and not already done, etc...

Again, thanks so much for caring enough to reply to me since I'm new and I know you all have a much tighter bond since you've been talking to each other longer.  It again proves I'll keep coming here, but also I probably won't post much since I don't want to over-reply my welcom.

On that note... :-[

Do not fret about overposting.  If it helps you quit, then it's all good. :)

And we're great listeners, so if you have to bitch or vent about the cravings, go for it!

As for the smoking when not craving, it might be a good thing.  I've heard it recommended as a means of weight loss as well (eating when you're not hungry or eating whatever you wanted however much you wanted so you'd get sick of it).

Good luck, and I'm sorry that your 7 year old had to go through the cancer sheeshe.  Awesome of her that she kicked it's ass. 8)

Written By: Paul on 01/08/09 at 2:09 pm

I've noticed a lot of coughing, the icky kind 8-P and have been told to expect that for months to come!  Is that true??

It varies from person to person, but coughing when you're giving up is quite normal...not sure whether you'll be doing it for months to come, but see your GP if the coughing starts becoming a little excessive...

I have the rubberband on my wrist, carrot sticks, candy cigarretts (which has oddly helped more than I thought) and most of all my kids continuing to watch every move I make when I come down to my computer.  Again, I cannot thank you enough.  I've actually thought maybe this place wasn't for me since all I seem to do is ask questions.  But I think I'll keep on trying and learning from you all and try to not feel so intimidated by doing something wrong.  Not inappropriate or hurtful to anyone wrong, but just  wrong on where to post, what's ok and not already done, etc...

You'll find that, by and large, we are a welcoming bunch...and on a big subject such as this, we'll provide you with as much encouragement as you'll need...keep at it, you're doing great!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/09 at 2:11 pm

New thread, new thread.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35570.0

Ok, I'm pimping my own thread. So sue me.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: C. Luless on 01/08/09 at 2:32 pm

It varies from person to person, but coughing when you're giving up is quite normal...not sure whether you'll be doing it for months to come, but see your GP if the coughing starts becoming a little excessive...

You'll find that, by and large, we are a welcoming bunch...and on a big subject such as this, we'll provide you with as much encouragement as you'll need...keep at it, you're doing great!  :)

Thank you all so much
But I had skipped to Haikus
Forgive this reply! ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/08/09 at 6:53 pm

What kind of cigarettes were you smoking?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...