inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Safari - any users on PC?

Written By: Tam on 01/20/09 at 1:20 pm

I have switched to Google Chrome, but more and more I see issues with it. Images won't load or they appear to be broken links, I have updated java and flash but it does nothing to fix the problem. Same page on IE7 obviously works with no problems. I don't want to use IE7 anymore because of the security issues, so I am wondering who uses Safari on thier PC - not Mac, as I don't have a Mac.

Is it any good?
Is it really 1.9 times faster as it claims to be?
Is it more secure than IE or Chrome?

I am doing research on it, but I can't find the answers to my questions....

Thanks all.

Tam 8)

Subject: Re: Safari - any users on PC?

Written By: Bobo on 01/20/09 at 1:40 pm

Prior to the current release of Opera, Safari was actually quicker than Opera - and as of the latest release of Firefox 3, which seems to be much more secure, but much slower, than Firefox 2, I would rather use Safari than Firefox 3 for the same purposes.

IE is just fundamentally useless - ugly, slow, non-secure... and completely upside-down in its principles.

Safari on my Mac has not updated since the 2004 version which I first downloaded... but the PC upgrades have downloaded fine - though there is never much cosmetic difference between 1.1.x and 1.1.x+1...

Chrome is pretty but doesn't live up to so much hype as it caused. There are a couple of useful features in it but it still didn't sway me away from Opera.

Written By: Tam on 01/20/09 at 1:45 pm

Thanks Bobo - now another question that I have is - does Safari have the save password feature or no?

If it does.... I can't find it Haha!

oOo and is it just me or is Safari ever a process HOG! I am running it right now to test it out, but all I can hear is my fan constantly running, and when I checked the task manager, safari is hogging the resources. Is this normal?

Written By: Bobo on 01/20/09 at 1:50 pm

Cookies are easier to get rid of on Safari than on other browsers - particularly Opera - but this mostly only ever serves for good - sometimes Opera saves passwords on individual pages you don't want it to without clearing the browser cache - while Safari's cache is so easy to clear that even my dad can do it.

Written By: Bobo on 01/20/09 at 2:02 pm

oOo and is it just me or is Safari ever a process HOG! I am running it right now to test it out, but all I can hear is my fan constantly running, and when I checked the task manager, safari is hogging the resources. Is this normal?

I've just loaded a single Safari browser window. Opera is using 129856K of memory, Firefox 95756, Safari 46868, Internet Exploder 67196...

Not sure what the answer is to that. Maybe I'm not doing the right thing. :D

Written By: Tam on 01/20/09 at 2:06 pm

You know what? This is ridiculous! I am uninstalling safari right after I make this post.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, with all these neat buttons on the mouse - and guess what? Safari will not recognize any of the button other than the left or right click! {{mad smiley goes here}} Second, it totally hogs the resources any time a page loads that has flash or java on it. My processor is definitely fast enough so that isn't the problem!

Stupid crap!
And I refuse to use Firefox because I have had nothing but problems with it!
I am going to have to research more because I will not go back to IE no matter what happens! If I have to deal with Chrome and broken links - so be it! This is retarded!  {{{another mad smiley goes here!!!}}}

I've just loaded a single Safari browser window. Opera is using 129856K of memory, Firefox 95756, Safari 46868, Internet Exploder 67196...

Not sure what the answer is to that. Maybe I'm not doing the right thing. :D

According to mine:

Safari 195,528K
Chrome 27,524K
IE 7  56,508K

Yep - I am definitely going back to Chrome!
{{{{Yet another mad smiley goes here!!!!}}}}

Written By: Bobo on 01/20/09 at 2:09 pm

Opera?

Written By: Tam on 01/20/09 at 2:11 pm

And btw - it was Safari 3.0 {{rolling eyes smiley goes here!}}

Opera?

Nah, I think I am done for right now. Uninstalling safari now and using chrome again.
Chrome is actually really good, except for the broken links (not all, only some) and the delay if other images hosted are holding up the page load... (Big Boards creates a problem for me) but I am going to stick to it for now. Funny thing is - Chrome is actually powered by Safari technology!

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/09 at 11:03 pm

I use Safari, and the only problem I really have is that sometimes (though very rare) it freezes up when I visit Facebook.  The only browser I ever used was IE, and I loved IE7 until I downloaded the update and it made it so pages wouldn't load properly, images wouldn't properly appear ...

I've tried Opera, and just like Firefox, it makes my slow computer draaaaaaaaaaaaag.  So basically, Safari is all I got.  It does all I need (for now)

Written By: Brian06 on 02/05/09 at 6:09 am

I have it installed on my other PC but I don't really like it. The scrolling doesn't work right for me, it's like too fast and jerky yes I could slow it down but then it was too slow in everything else!, chrome had the same issue and I just find it annoying. Firefox still is overall the best one in my experience, it does start up a bit slow sometimes but I don't think that's a big deal.

Check for new replies or respond here...