inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: doG awful movie of the week club

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/21/09 at 7:46 am

I want to get a bunch of people who are willing to pick a godawful movie and watch it the same week I'm going to watch it. 

I was thinking of watching "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" to see if it was really as awful as people seem to think it is.

Subject: Re: God awful movie of the week club

Written By: adagio on 01/21/09 at 7:54 am

Could you put the title in different terms...leave the name God out of it?  Something else that means awful, perhaps.

Written By: Tia on 01/21/09 at 8:44 am

i saw parts of pluto nash and didn't think it was abysmal, probably better than most eddie murphy movies out there. (lately, eddie murphy is pretty much a guarantee that a movie is going to suck. the days of 48 hours, trading places and beverly hills cop are OVAH.)

i'll throw pluto nash on my queue, sure. i wonder if we could just do a movie of the week? i don't see why it has to be awful, but it would be fun to have a bunch of people watching the same movie each week. or maybe once a month; might get more participants that way. every week might be hard to keep up with.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/21/09 at 11:28 am

i saw parts of pluto nash and didn't think it was abysmal, probably better than most eddie murphy movies out there. (lately, eddie murphy is pretty much a guarantee that a movie is going to suck. the days of 48 hours, trading places and beverly hills cop are OVAH.)

i'll throw pluto nash on my queue, sure. i wonder if we could just do a movie of the week? i don't see why it has to be awful, but it would be fun to have a bunch of people watching the same movie each week. or maybe once a month; might get more participants that way. every week might be hard to keep up with.

I'm ok with once a month.  I think right now that's all I got time for.  Maybe alternate a truly trashy film with something better... and stick to stuff people are not likely to have seen.  I'm only thinking of Pluto Nash because Robot Chicken did a big piss-take on it last week.

I've got "Eyes Without a Face" in my netflix queue at the moment as well, because I've never seen it, and it's what the Billy Idol song was about.  I'm willing to bet not many other people have as well.

Maybe the person with the best comment in the thread for the movie of the month can pick the next one... as determined by the last person to pick one... and um, no repeat offenders.... so I pick the first one, then decide who picks the next one, etc.

Subject: Re: Holy Spirit awful movie of the week club

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/09 at 11:42 am

My question is WHY? What is the purpose of getting people together to watch the same awful movie-unless you are trying to do a MST3K type thing.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tia on 01/21/09 at 11:49 am

My question is WHY? What is the purpose of getting people together to watch the same awful movie-unless you are trying to do a MST3K type thing.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
it's sorta like when you drink milk and it's sour and you go, "taste this! isn't it AWFUL?"

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/21/09 at 12:29 pm

it's sorta like when you drink milk and it's sour and you go, "taste this! isn't it AWFUL?"

exactly...  what's the point of complaining about how awful a movie is, if there isn't anyone to commiserate with

Written By: Tam on 01/21/09 at 12:30 pm

I liked the title before it was changed to Holy Spirit.... Why not just use Gawd Awful? Looks better, appeases those around and still makes sense? ;)

I'm up for this - but I won't necessarily be able to watch every movie! I already saw Pluto Nash :-X

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/21/09 at 2:06 pm

I liked the title before it was changed to Holy Spirit.... Why not just use Gawd Awful? Looks better, appeases those around and still makes sense? ;)

I'm up for this - but I won't necessarily be able to watch every movie! I already saw Pluto Nash :-X

oooh... don't ruin it for me >grin<

I think you can still comment in the thread once it's underway

Subject: Re: doG awful movie of the week club

Written By: Howard on 01/21/09 at 2:09 pm

Eddie Murphy is good with his other disguises but sometimes it just goes too far.

Written By: Tam on 01/21/09 at 2:09 pm

oooh... don't ruin it for me >grin<

I think you can still comment in the thread once it's underway

I won't say a word! ;)
... at least until like you said, the thread is underway! 8)

Written By: Howard on 01/21/09 at 2:12 pm

Norbit was another terrible film.  :P

Written By: Tia on 01/21/09 at 2:22 pm

some helpful sources for selecting titles.

http://www.razzies.com/

razzies, they basically do golden turkey awards every year. also

http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom

the imdb's bottom 100 all-time films. beware! a lot of them are listed only because
a. they have paris hilton in them, or
b. they were mystery science theatered at some point or another.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/21/09 at 2:34 pm

some helpful sources for selecting titles.

http://www.razzies.com/

razzies, they basically do golden turkey awards every year. also

http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom

the imdb's bottom 100 all-time films. beware! a lot of them are listed only because
a. they have paris hilton in them, or
b. they were mystery science theatered at some point or another.

oooh... a Paris Hilton film.  That just reeks of quality... or night vision

Written By: Tia on 01/21/09 at 2:38 pm

oooh... a Paris Hilton film.  That just reeks of quality... or night vision
i was the person you read about in the paper who actually saw "the hottie and the nottie" in the theater. i've done my paris hilton time. i will be avoiding paris hilton films from here on in, i think.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/21/09 at 4:09 pm

They have the Razzie nominations out today but the full list I can't find, as the Razzie site is being tarded :(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/21/09 at 4:14 pm

By the way, should we also have an awesome movie thread too?  Like, let's all get our Netflix queues synchronized and watch silly stuff like "The Gods Must Be Crazy" :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/09 at 6:03 pm

I'm down... but I'll join the festivites after we get past the Eddie Murphy phase... he annoys me now.

Let me know when we're on to some other GOD Awful Movie!  Then I'm in.

Hey Rice.. The Gods Must Crazy huh? Isn't there a version out there that has the literal translation of what the "actors" were actually saying and weren't they totally ripping on the "filmmaker" during the whole shoot? I remember seeing that somewhere!

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/21/09 at 6:13 pm

By the way, should we also have an awesome movie thread too?  Like, let's all get our Netflix queues synchronized and watch silly stuff like "The Gods Must Be Crazy" :D
OMG "The God's Must be Crazy" what next "Planet of the Apes"  and then "Clash of the Titans" and how about "The Holy Grail"  - ooh I guess I have already seen all of those - not sure if I can do it again :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

Sounds fun ;)

;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/09 at 7:05 pm

OMG "The God's Must be Crazy" what next "Planet of the Apes"  and then "Clash of the Titans" and how about "The Holy Grail"   - ooh I guess I have already seen all of those - not sure if I can do it again :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

Sounds fun ;)

;D

WTF is wrong with Planet of the APES?  >:( 

oh wait you mean the Marky Mark one don't you?  You better! ;)

although beneath the and conquest of.... both sucked to high heaven!

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/21/09 at 8:01 pm

i was the person you read about in the paper who actually saw "the hottie and the nottie" in the theater. i've done my paris hilton time. i will be avoiding paris hilton films from here on in, i think.

is that more painful than having seen Ishtar in the theater?

a former co-worker of mine had confessed he'd seen it in the theater as well, and noticed the same thing I had.  People getting up and leaving the movie, cursing about how much it sucked.

Oddly enough, while it's a bad movie, it's not an awful movie. 

Now this is trash

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074499/

it was on IFC last week when I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night.  Totally dreadful.

So I'll kick off two threads tomorrow, one for an awesome movie, one for an awful one.  We'll say it's for February because um, January is 2/3rds over at this point.

Written By: Tia on 01/21/09 at 8:54 pm

Now this is trash

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074499/

it was on IFC last week when I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night.  Totally dreadful.

wow, that looks fudgeing cool!

i'm actually thinking this, now... there should be a good movie of the month and a bad movie of the month thread. people can follow their pleasure from one month to the next. more user-friendly than alternating. :)

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/09 at 9:15 pm

If you want a really bad movie, how about 'Freddy Got Fingered'?  I always say to anyone who can find a movie dumber than this one that they are not digging deep enough because no movie that has ever been made or ever will be made is or will be dumber than this movie, that is unless Tom Green decided to make a sequel LOL

Written By: Howard on 01/22/09 at 6:49 am

How about Good Burger,now that was so bad that I watched about a few minutes of the film and returned it later,Keenan And Kel are just terrible.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/09 at 6:50 am

or anything Paris Hilton related.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/09 at 7:42 am

Mr. Magoo was pretty bad.  I couldn't sit through 10 minutes of that turkey.

Written By: Tia on 01/22/09 at 7:47 am

If you want a really bad movie, how about 'Freddy Got Fingered'?  I always say to anyone who can find a movie dumber than this one that they are not digging deep enough because no movie that has ever been made or ever will be made is or will be dumber than this movie, that is unless Tom Green decided to make a sequel LOL
actually i've been curious about FGF for a while. the rumors i hear about it are devastating.

Written By: Davester on 01/22/09 at 8:18 am

She-Wolves of the Wasteland (1987/88?) aka. Phoenix the Warrior.  Great, post apocalyptic flick with Kathleen Kinmont, in the spirit of Mad Max. True cheese fest and lots of jiggle. My kind of mindless entertainment...

https://www.echobridgeentertainment.com/uploads/52689L.jpg

Okay, I adore jiggle.  Sue me...

Another recently purchased, in this vein, Hundra...higher quality production, like a female Conan.  I have the limited edition with soundtrack CD included featuring Ennio Morricone's excellent score...

http://www.britposters.com/images/hundra%20320x240.jpg

No time to describe it right now, I have to go to work...

Written By: Davester on 01/22/09 at 8:20 am

I want to get a bunch of people who are willing to pick a godawful movie and watch it the same week I'm going to watch it. 

I was thinking of watching "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" to see if it was really as awful as people seem to think it is.

It's a plan...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/09 at 10:47 am

Mr. Magoo was pretty bad.  I couldn't sit through 10 minutes of that turkey.

What cracked me up about Mr. Magoo (mind you I never saw the movie) was that fact that the National Federation of the Blind protested the movie because it gave a misunderstanding about blind people.  ::)

http://nfb.org/legacy/bm/bm98/bm980202.htm

Off topic a bit-I was "pursued" by the NFB to join. After that bit about Mr. Magoo, I wanted nothing to do with them.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/09 at 10:50 am

What cracked me up about Mr. Magoo (mind you I never saw the movie) was that fact that the National Federation of the Blind protested the movie because it gave a misunderstanding about blind people.  ::)

Off topic a bit-I was "pursued" by the NFB to join. After that bit about Mr. Magoo, I wanted nothing to do with them.

Cat

Seriously?  I think some people need to put down the pipe and back away.  Have they not seen Mr. Magoo the cartoon? ;D ;D

Best line of the interview in the article:

Lighten up. Get real. Sit back and laugh. It's a cartoon.

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/09 at 10:42 pm

Norbit was another terrible film.  :P

Norbit was pretty bad.

What are you trying to promoting the film by using reverse psychology

Written By: Howard on 01/23/09 at 6:47 am

What are you trying to promoting the film by using reverse psychology

I've seen better Eddie Murphy films like Doctor Doolittle,The Klumps,Beverly Hills Cop and some other films.

Written By: Tia on 01/23/09 at 6:50 am

I've seen better Eddie Murphy films like Doctor Doolittle,The Klumps,Beverly Hills Cop and some other films.
certainly not norbit. never watch norbit.

norbit norbit norbit.

norbit!

Written By: Howard on 01/23/09 at 6:51 am

certainly not norbit. never watch norbit.

norbit norbit norbit.

norbit!

He actually disguised himself as a Chinese Man.

Written By: Tia on 01/23/09 at 1:14 pm

For Sat: The Adventures of Pluto NashFriday, January 23, 2009 1:57 PM
From: "Netflix Shipping" <discship@netflix.com>Add sender to Contacts To: highway234@yahoo.comTo make sure you get your Netflix emails, add discship@netflix.com to your address book.

You have 486 movies in your Queue   

The Adventures of Pluto Nash

Arriving on or around: Saturday, Jan 24, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommendations in Comedy

Get personalized recommendations from our wide selection in Comedy. The more movies you rate, the better your recommendations will be.

well it's coming tomorrow. you noodle-loafs better not leave me on the beach with no air support!  >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/09 at 1:39 pm

well it's coming tomorrow. you noodle-loafs better not leave me on the beach with no air support!  >:(

WHOA!!!! 486 movies on your queue??!!  :o :o :o

I thought we were bad with 21.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/09 at 1:40 pm

you know the workers in the processing plant were laughing at you as they dusted off the dvd and stuffed it in the envelope.... and Chucky probably has a bar bet on how many people he can get to watch that dreck..... so... you're $5- were there any other takers

;D

Written By: Tia on 01/23/09 at 1:41 pm

WHOA!!!! 486 movies on your queue??!!  :o :o :o

I thought we were bad with 21.

Cat
yeah it's pretty sick, huh? thing is i go back and look at my queue and most of the movies i dont even remember putting on there. i gotta cut back on the ambien fugues.

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/09 at 2:31 pm

yeah it's pretty sick, huh? thing is i go back and look at my queue and most of the movies i dont even remember putting on there. i gotta cut back on the ambien fugues.

I just checked mine...it was at 366 I trimmed it to 352  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/23/09 at 2:31 pm

I dunno how long ours is, Jess put all kinds of stuff on it after I granted her access :D

Written By: Howard on 01/23/09 at 3:30 pm

That space film with John Travolta years ago.

Written By: Tia on 01/23/09 at 3:35 pm

That space film with John Travolta years ago.
i love that movie, it's totally idiotic.  8)

another cool one from around that time is "supernova," with james spader. it's really ridiculous and yet i have a total soft spot for it.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/09 at 3:37 pm

i love that movie, it's totally idiotic.  8)

another cool one from around that time is "supernova," with james spader. it's really ridiculous and yet i have a total soft spot for it.

It was called Battlefield Earth.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/23/09 at 7:54 pm

I got my copy today... not sure when I'll get to it though, been super busy. 

I'm down to 100 right now... but it's been up in the 400s a couple times.  I'm on the 8 at a time plan, but renting music DVDs for a long time now.  That and kids cartoons.  I got Neal into Duck Tales and Gummy Bears.  Beats 90% of the crap on TV right now.

If the TV show "Breaking Bad" was on DVD, I'd make the whole 8 episode run the first "movie" for the good movie thread.  It's coming out next month, but no idea when in the month.

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/09 at 11:47 pm

I got my copy today... not sure when I'll get to it though, been super busy. 

I'm down to 100 right now... but it's been up in the 400s a couple times.  I'm on the 8 at a time plan, but renting music DVDs for a long time now.  That and kids cartoons.  I got Neal into Duck Tales and Gummy Bears.  Beats 90% of the crap on TV right now.

If the TV show "Breaking Bad" was on DVD, I'd make the whole 8 episode run the first "movie" for the good movie thread.  It's coming out next month, but no idea when in the month.

breaking bad releases Feb 24th!

Written By: Howard on 01/24/09 at 5:11 am

That Brittney Spears film that came out 7 years ago "Crossroads".

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/09 at 9:55 am

That Brittney Spears film that came out 7 years ago "Crossroads".

I like the part where we find out Zoe Saldana is really the devil and Brit has to decide whether to sell her soul to devil for fame and fortune or just perform music for her own enjoyment..... oh wait... wrong Crossroads  ;)

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 9:59 am

I like the part where we find out Zoe Saldana is really the devil and Brit has to decide whether to sell her soul to devil for fame and fortune or just perform music for her own enjoyment..... oh wait... wrong Crossroads   ;)
you know i read somewhere that steve vai actually did the overdubs and contrary to popular opinion, britney can't really play guitar like that.

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/09 at 10:23 am

you know i read somewhere that steve vai actually did the overdubs and contrary to popular opinion, britney can't really play guitar like that.

;D

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 10:30 am

good ol' ralph macchio. you don't see him in much anymore, i looked him up on imdb and he seems to have aged grcefully. he was a total icon back in the day.

anyway, ima run downstairs and see if my crappy movie has come in the mail yet, so i can commence with the suckage.

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/09 at 10:31 am

good ol' ralph macchio. you don't see him in much anymore, i looked him up on imdb and he seems to have aged grcefully. he was a total icon back in the day.

yeah I liked him

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 11:02 am

and our film begins with a man in a dress and an incredibly unsanitary restroom.

seems ok so far. there are special features, i wonder if there's a commentary track where they talk about how they made the magic happen.

i also got "The fugitive" so once i'm done watching this crappy movie i can watch a good one.

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 11:05 am

the incidental music is pretty cheesy. a lot of otherwise decent movies get hoisted by crappy music.

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 11:12 am

haha! the 10,000 dollar bill has hillary clinton on it.

c'mon. that's funny. and it's got randy quaid in it. and that slimy bad guy guy who's in everything.

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 11:18 am

"pluto! it's a trap!"

haha. this is my favorite movie ever.

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 11:24 am

voice effect on randy quaid was a bad idea. it gets grating after a while.

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 12:36 pm

freeze-dried chihuahua! that's comedy gold.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/09 at 12:38 pm

freeze-dried chihuahua! that's comedy gold.

Isn't that Jess & Rice's dog?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 12:41 pm

Isn't that Jess & Rice's dog?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
;D
it's pretty much the funniest joke in the movie. all jokes made at the expense of small cute dogs put a song in my cold cold heart. anybody remember the "split dogs" from revenge of the living dead?

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 1:18 pm

some really fun cameos. illeana douglas, john cleese, peter boyle, pam grier... i didn't even recognize boyle and grier.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

i didn't think it was terrible. it needed a subplot. so his club gets blown up and he spends the rest of the movie chasing down the gangsters who did it. or being chased down by them. that's a thin hook to hang your hat on. you can use that as a setup but you always need to find out the bad guys are actually trying to create a frickin' laser to dominate the world or create a doomsday device or something. that's the thing, the actual people playing the villains were good enough -- i liked the ugly albino thug dude! that was a nice touch -- but without some momentous earth-shattering evil conspiracy underlying the apparent petty criminal stuff it's just not enough to add up to an actual movie.

other than that i thought it was passable, and actually frequently entertaining. not a good movie by any means, but a movie that has a fair amount of good stuff in it. rosario dawson comes out of it with her dignity intact, i thought. she's actually got a decent gift for comedy. i dig her delivery on the "it's a trap" line, and the whole bit when she calls randy quaid's character a "toaster" and does that momentary little robot mime was a strangely sublime moment in the movie.

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 1:28 pm

there was also a baldwin. lots of cameos!

Written By: Howard on 01/24/09 at 3:27 pm

anyway, ima run downstairs and see if my crappy movie has come in the mail yet, so i can commence with the suckage.

you mean The Karate Kid films?

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 4:06 pm

you mean The Karate Kid films?
yeah and crossroads where he was the guitar player. i was just starting to play guitar when it came out and i totally idolized that film. 8)

(steve vai shoulda won though.  :D)

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 4:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAJtu2nHLw

classic cinema. makes me proud to me a 'merkin.

Written By: Tia on 01/24/09 at 5:09 pm

^ damn that's a pretty yello tele

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/guitarimages2006/fender_tele_cs_54_06/telecaster_custom_shop_relic_54_009.jpg

i always wanted one of those.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/09 at 5:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAJtu2nHLw

classic cinema. makes me proud to me a 'merkin.

I didn't know Ralph Macchio played guitar?  :o

Written By: Tia on 01/25/09 at 6:53 pm

I didn't know Ralph Macchio played guitar?  :o
it was all movie magic!

so who else put themselves through pluto nash?  ???

Written By: karen on 01/25/09 at 10:06 pm

we all got together and decided not to do it.  Didn't you get that PM?  ???

Written By: Tia on 01/25/09 at 10:13 pm

we all got together and decided not to do it.  Didn't you get that PM?  ???
ah ha, i get it, *I'M* the dupe. well, that's fine, all the more off-the-beaten-track thoughtful and highly comedic and engaging eddie-murphy performances for me, then. and by that i mean,

http://www.piratesk12site.net/trek2.jpg

from hell's heart i stab at thee...

Written By: Tia on 01/25/09 at 10:27 pm

i cant believe star trek ii isn't out on blu-ray. i think that would be a good GOOD movie for you guys to make me watch and then fake me out and not watch yourselves. :P

if not i have LOTS of ideas for cool crappy movies we could watch next.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/09 at 5:47 am

Good Burger was just so awful,I watched some of it but then I couldn't watch anymore of Keenan And Kel so I turned it off and returned it.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/26/09 at 6:46 pm

Anyone see Burn After Reading - I think it looks like some funny "cult" film - but scared to try it without anyone else's opinion ???

Written By: statsqueen on 01/27/09 at 11:23 am

Anyone see Burn After Reading - I think it looks like some funny "cult" film - but scared to try it without anyone else's opinion ???

No but I wanted to give it a shot.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/27/09 at 11:25 am

i cant believe star trek ii isn't out on blu-ray. i think that would be a good GOOD movie for you guys to make me watch and then fake me out and not watch yourselves. :P

if not i have LOTS of ideas for cool crappy movies we could watch next.

Star Trek II isn't bad :(  It saved the franchise!

Written By: Tia on 01/27/09 at 11:36 am

Star Trek II isn't bad :(  It saved the franchise!
star trek ii is awesome!

i have a suggestion for the next bad movie. it's called "southland tales," it's a sci-fi flick starring the rock that makes a comment about the war on terror and whatnot. i started watching it on netflix instawatch thingy a couple of weeks ago and thought it was furtively interesting (it's by the director of the magnificent "donnie darko," unless i'm mistaken), brilliant in moments, irritating and baffling in others. but it has this really elaborate plot so i decided to pick it up from netflix and it'll be coming in a couple days.

it also has some car chases and whatnot, and sarah michelle gellar being all sexy and stuff. from what i've seen so far it's what my college shakespeare professor would call an "ambitious failure." and i'm curious to see if i can follow the plot if i sit and watch it straight through.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/southland_tales/

dude! $227,000 in box office! on a $17 million investment! proportion-wise that might be a bigger financial disaster than pluto nash.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/27/09 at 2:45 pm

My husband LOVED it, but he has...um...an unusual sense of humor.  He, still, will often do an impersonation of Brad Pitt in this movie.  ;D
It wasn't a bad film, per se, it was just...weird.  It was funny in some spots though the ending wasn't what I would have written.

If anybody wants to do John Travolta's "Boy in the Plastic Bubble" sometime, I found it on DVD at Wal-Mart for a dollar, so I HAD to buy it.

I will try to get to the library and pick up Pluto Nash, from Tia's review, it doesn't sound too God-awful.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/27/09 at 2:55 pm

How did everyone like John Travolta's Battlefield Earth?  ???

Written By: Tia on 01/27/09 at 2:59 pm

ha! that's one of my favorite so-bad-it's-good movies of all time! a total laugh riot. ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/27/09 at 3:03 pm

ha! that's one of my favorite so-bad-it's-good movies of all time! a total laugh riot. ;D

http://ken-jennings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/battlefield_earth.JPG

This must've been embarassing for him. ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/27/09 at 3:05 pm

My friends and I saw it for free.  We had tickets for Gladiator, but it wasn't until later, so in the meantime we were pondering what to do.  The movie theater guy just said to go into Battlefield Earth because it was so bad that he didn't think it would be right to charge us for it.

He was right :P

Written By: Howard on 01/27/09 at 3:06 pm

My friends and I saw it for free.  We had tickets for Gladiator, but it wasn't until later, so in the meantime we were pondering what to do.  The movie theater guy just said to go into Battlefield Earth because it was so bad that he didn't think it would be right to charge us for it.

He was right :P

How'd you get in for free?  ???

Written By: Tia on 01/27/09 at 3:12 pm

http://ken-jennings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/battlefield_earth.JPG

This must've been embarassing for him. ;D
well it was his own damn fault! i'm pretty sure he produced and he may have even directed it. i guess he WANTED to look like a gwar reject.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/27/09 at 3:17 pm

How'd you get in for free?  ???

Well, if you read past the first sentence in my post... :D :D :D

Movie guy let us in for free because he just didn't care.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/09 at 3:23 pm

well it was his own damn fault! i'm pretty sure he produced and he may have even directed it. i guess he WANTED to look like a gwar reject.

He starred in worse films.

Written By: Tia on 01/27/09 at 3:25 pm

He starred in worse films.
i dunno, man, none are coming to mind.  ;D although he definitely starred in less entertaining films.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/09 at 3:27 pm

i dunno, man, none are coming to mind.  ;D although he definitely starred in less entertaining films.

What's that film with the talking baby? ???

Written By: Tia on 01/27/09 at 3:31 pm

What's that film with the talking baby? ???
oh, yeah, you got a point. look who's talking. then there was a sequel that was allegedly even worse. look who's still talking or look who won't shut up or something.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/09 at 3:32 pm

oh, yeah, you got a point. look who's talking. then there was a sequel that was allegedly even worse. look who's still talking or look who won't shut up or something.

Look Who's Talking 2.

Written By: Tia on 01/27/09 at 7:07 pm

Look Who's Talking 2.
my titles were better  8)

Written By: Howard on 01/28/09 at 4:49 pm

How about Doctor Doolittle?  ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/28/09 at 7:21 pm

it was all movie magic!

I got halfway through (or maybe more than half) and then fell asleep... which is remarkable because it was around 1PM in the afternoon. 

From what I've seen so far, I think it's supposed to be a straight by the numbers action film.  Which if that's the case, it's passable.  Certainly not worthy of the $100 million price tag it took to produce it.

The cameos are definitely the only parts that are funny.  Eddie Murphy is way, way out of his element in this movie. Randy Quaid is great. 

Written By: Tia on 01/28/09 at 8:40 pm

i just watched southland tales. rather astonishingly strange film. take notes. i have to say i'm tempted to say richard kelly is either a prophet or a madman, sorta like what christopher hitchens says about jesus. with this stuff he makes there really is no middle ground.

i'm gonna have weird-ass dreams, i bet.  :o

i have to confess, i didn't sit and watch pluto nash all the way through. i sorta spent a while cooking and watching it over one shoulder.

Written By: Tia on 01/28/09 at 8:50 pm

brown bunny, anyone? it was booed at cannes. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brown_Bunny

should maybe set up a poll, or something.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/09 at 12:02 am

brown bunny, anyone? it was booed at cannes. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brown_Bunny

should maybe set up a poll, or something.

isn't there some pretty explicit sex in that one? Roger Ebert despised it...

Written By: Tia on 01/29/09 at 12:27 am

isn't there some pretty explicit sex in that one? Roger Ebert despised it...
i think so. of course don't forget who youre talking to, for me that's a plus. (the explicit sex part, not the ebert-hating it part; i disagree with him a lot but i usually appreciate ebert's taste in movies. folks like to smack him around but he's smart about flicks, no doubt.)

also, ebert liked "i spit on your grave," which makes me curious how bad brown bunny could be.

actually, though, i get the impression, both in the case of southland tales and brown bunny, the problem was that they played extended versions at cannes and then, based on negative reaction, cut them down for commercial release. the cut versions that we'd doubtless get on dvd would be easier to swallow than the five-hour egofests they probably showed at the festivals.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/09 at 6:39 am

i think so. of course don't forget who youre talking to, for me that's a plus. (the explicit sex part, not the ebert-hating it part; i disagree with him a lot but i usually appreciate ebert's taste in movies. folks like to smack him around but he's smart about flicks, no doubt.)

also, ebert liked "i spit on your grave," which makes me curious how bad brown bunny could be.

actually, though, i get the impression, both in the case of southland tales and brown bunny, the problem was that they played extended versions at cannes and then, based on negative reaction, cut them down for commercial release. the cut versions that we'd doubtless get on dvd would be easier to swallow than the five-hour egofests they probably showed at the festivals.

I think they removed the explicit sex part.

Written By: Tia on 02/01/09 at 11:05 am

How about Doctor Doolittle?  ???
dr dolittle is totally on fox right now! i'm totally not going to watch it!

Written By: Howard on 02/01/09 at 2:50 pm

dr dolittle is totally on fox right now! i'm totally not going to watch it!

I mean who really cares about a doctor that can talk to animals who think they can talk back to him.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 02/04/09 at 11:06 am

i have another contestant for dogawful movie of the week...

midnight meat train!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805570/

it's coming out feb 17, i saw a preview for it in the theater and the name was so prespammersite the whole audience burst out into peals of laughter. (were they trying to re-create the magic of "snakes on a plane?" hard to say.) anyway, apparently it's not actually all that bad and with a name like that, it's hard not to be curious.

i think i might start a poll.

Written By: Tia on 02/04/09 at 11:22 am

Cat
luckily, it's pretty easy to give em the slip.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/09 at 11:29 am

luckily, it's pretty easy to give em the slip.

Well, I did have to move and change my name.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Really, I'm not kidding about that.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 02/04/09 at 11:37 am

Well, I did have to move and change my name.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Really, I'm not kidding about that.

Cat
well, i guess the ole' ploy of saying "look over there!" and then running the other way wouldn't work with them so...

anyway, i posted a doGawful movie poll... vote early and often.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35916.0

Written By: Howard on 02/04/09 at 2:49 pm

i have another contestant for dogawful movie of the week...

midnight meat train!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805570/

it's coming out feb 17, i saw a preview for it in the theater and the name was so prespammersite the whole audience burst out into peals of laughter. (were they trying to re-create the magic of "snakes on a plane?" hard to say.) anyway, apparently it's not actually all that bad and with a name like that, it's hard not to be curious.

i think i might start a poll.

Let's hope it's a good film.

Check for new replies or respond here...