inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Blu-Ray Poll!

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 11:34 am

so i bought a blu-ray player but i have no blu-ray disks. i made a list of a bunch of different movies on amazon that might be fun to own and since i can never make a decision without consulting the inthe00s supreme court, i was wondering which everyone thought i should get.

criteria aren't just that it be a good movie, but that it be the sort of movie that shows off the technology (i.e., it looks good) and that it be the sort of movie you might want to see more than once.

Subject: Re: Blu-Ray Poll!

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/20/09 at 11:40 am

Girls Gone Wild???

You make me a sad panda,Tia :P

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 11:41 am

Girls Gone Wild???

only for drinking game purposes!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 12:02 pm

You did Robocop twice!

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 12:05 pm

You did Robocop twice!
hwoopsie schmoopsiE!

it's weird i put it on there at all. great movie but i'm thoroughly sick of it, i've probably seen it five or six times at least over the years.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 12:19 pm

hwoopsie schmoopsiE!

it's weird i put it on there at all. great movie but i'm thoroughly sick of it, i've probably seen it five or six times at least over the years.

:D 

The original is good, the sequels were just silly.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 1:46 pm

Girls Gone Wild???

you are surprised by this choice? I would have been surprised if it were not on the list.  ;D

I went with

Superman I & II
Terminator
Resident Evil (tho you should get the second one too)
Memento
and I've already forgotten my 6th pick.

Ah so..... I only voted for 5...

Dog Day Afternoon!

Written By: Dagwood on 02/20/09 at 1:59 pm

I went with Terminator and Men In Black

Written By: Midas on 02/20/09 at 2:24 pm

I voted for Resident Evil.  I agree with snoz, get the 2nd one too.

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 2:37 pm

I voted for Resident Evil.  I agree with snoz, get the 2nd one too.
i think they might be available as a box set. i've actually enjoyed them all in varying degrees. the third was a bit silly but i didn't care.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/09 at 9:06 pm

I went with Robocop, Into the Blue, First Blood, Resident Evil because I already own those on Blu-Ray LOL

my remaining 2 choices are for the other 2 Resident Evils (with Milla Jovovich) because I got the trilogy set on Blu-Ray for $45.99

Written By: snozberries on 02/22/09 at 1:01 am

I just picked up Eraser on Blu Ray at Costco for 12.99!

Its not on your list but at 12.99 it should be!

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/09 at 10:14 pm

If you're looking for a good Blu-Ray movie to get Mike, I know of one that I know you will enjoy.  In remastered hi-definition, that 1976 classic has made it's way to Blu-Ray ...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61JrmcmRGRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The funny thing is that this is on Blu-ray, yet the re-make with Ethan Hawke is not (The remake is on HD DVD though lol)

Written By: Tia on 02/24/09 at 5:55 am

If you're looking for a good Blu-Ray movie to get Mike, I know of one that I know you will enjoy.  In remastered hi-definition, that 1976 classic has made it's way to Blu-Ray ...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61JrmcmRGRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The funny thing is that this is on Blu-ray, yet the re-make with Ethan Hawke is not (The remake is on HD DVD though lol)
yeah i've been eyeballing that one. i wonder if it's the only KR movie on blu-ray at the moment.

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/09 at 10:49 pm

yeah i've been eyeballing that one. i wonder if it's the only KR movie on blu-ray at the moment.

'Black Snake Moan' is also on Blu-Ray

Written By: Bobby on 02/26/09 at 6:00 am

I went for Cloverfield but also Resident Evil would be cool too, Tia. Blu-Ray needs special effects/lots of detail to show off it's HD qualities. Plus, it is a great film imo. I'm not sure you will see a major visual improvement in old films like Ferris Beuller (as great as they are) so maybe they can be bought later on if you still have them on DVD.

Written By: Tia on 02/26/09 at 9:09 am

i sorta disagree, old movies shot on location look good on blu-ray. exterior urban backgrounds and rural landscapes look great. movies like deliverance, taxi driver, i'm thinking.

i ended up getting 300 and election, for now.

Written By: whistledog on 02/26/09 at 8:31 pm

Most times, picture quality doesn't matter much to me on Blu-Ray, cause if the price is right, I'll get it on Blu-Ray.  Just picked up 'Hostage' and 'Chain Reaction' for $13.99 each

Written By: Dude111 on 02/27/09 at 3:48 am

I couldnt vote,my option wasnt there.. "None of the above"

I prefer my VCR :) (Sounds betterm,looks better)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/27/09 at 6:56 am

IF I had Blu Ray with Hi Def the first thing I would buy would be Transformers.  But I don't have either and don't see either in my forseeable future

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/09 at 9:32 am

I couldnt vote,my option wasnt there.. "None of the above"

I prefer my VCR :) (Sounds betterm,looks better)

You need to lay off the cheap stuff :P

Written By: Tia on 02/27/09 at 9:50 am

You need to lay off the cheap stuff :P
i like videotapes, they have a lot of advantages: more rugged, lasts longer, more room for cover art, you cant lose your place when you stop in the middle, etc.

but the picture isn't nearly as good as dvd...

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/09 at 9:19 pm

i like videotapes, they have a lot of advantages: more rugged, lasts longer, more room for cover art, you cant lose your place when you stop in the middle, etc.

but the picture isn't nearly as good as dvd...

If tapes get old enough, they can snap.  PRoper care of a DVD can last a lifetime.  I still like VHS, but mostly for recording shows and the original box art of a movie.  Most DVDs update the original movie artwork with newer sleekeier stuff

Check for new replies or respond here...