inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Penguin Board Games

Written By: Tam on 02/20/09 at 12:59 pm

NO FLAMING!

I was going through my pages and pages of posts, and realized at one point in time, I used to only spend time in PBG. The majority of my post count comes from PBG, but then I fell out of interest with the games ~ because of the repetitiveness, and being told I wasn't ever playing anything right.

Looking at my posts, I can't believe how many times I repeated myself. :o

I would jump from one game to another and used the exact same answer. As well, when playing games such as places, or product names, the letter I landed on was always the same answer I had used before. Hardly makes it a game if one cannot come up with a new response.... :-\\

So, the poll question is should duplicate posts in PBG be allowed?

And now imagine if you will, a program that could be released on the forum to go and delete all of the duplicate threads. ;D
One doesn't exist, however could you imagine our real post count numbers of said program was available? :o ::)

Subject: Re: Penguin Board Games

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/09 at 1:37 pm

Who will be checking all the previous posts?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 1:38 pm

We experimented with eliminating post count on game boards on our other forum.  Nobody really cared but that's probably because we don't think too much about post counts overall.  I think at some point a game thread should probably end as it becomes way repetitive and is dominated by a small group, although some threads on the forum already exhibit this and they are not game threads.  

Therefore I voted "other" 8)  I don't play games anymore so I have no real opinion.  

Written By: Midas on 02/20/09 at 1:41 pm

We experimented with eliminating post count on game boards on our other forum.  Nobody really cared but that's probably because we don't think too much about post counts overall.  I think at some point a game thread should probably end as it becomes way repetitive and is dominated by a small group, although some threads on the forum already exhibit this and they are not game threads.  

Therefore I voted "other" 8)  I don't play games anymore so I have no real opinion.  

After pulling the trigger on "no" I don't really think that you can not count duplicate posts unless you either delete them or don't tally post counts in the game threads altogether, so I should've voted "other" as I agree with Rice Cube.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/20/09 at 1:47 pm

I voted 'Other' because I'm not really sure.  I participate in a few of those game threads, and I have to admit that I've often repeated myself only because nothing else would come to mind at the time.  :-[  I used to play the board games a lot more before, but now it seems they've gotten pretty boring.  :-\\

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 1:50 pm

Maybe I should set up another story game :D  You could check the archives for my original Story Game Thread and the Iron Chef Thread 8)

Written By: Tam on 02/20/09 at 1:51 pm

I voted 'Other' because I'm not really sure.  I participate in a few of those game threads, and I have to admit that I've often repeated myself only because nothing else would come to mind at the time.  :-[  I used to play the board games a lot more before, but now it seems they've gotten pretty boring.  :-\\

Boring is right. ;)

Perhaps it has to do with how many pages each thread now contains, or how unoriginal the games are because of the repetitive nature.
Maybe if the current games were locked and people started new ones - it might bring some of the fun back to them.

(Although, it is hilarious to sit here and watch Nasty try and come up with answers he hasn't used before, and then when he clicks submit - a new reply has already been posted, so he has to start the process all over again!) ;D ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/20/09 at 1:56 pm

Boring is right. ;)

Perhaps it has to do with how many pages each thread now contains, or how unoriginal the games are because of the repetitive nature.
Maybe if the current games were locked and people started new ones - it might bring some of the fun back to them.

Locking them and letting people start new ones might be a good idea.  :)

(Although, it is hilarious to sit here and watch Nasty try and come up with answers he hasn't used before, and then when he clicks submit - a new reply has already been posted, so he has to start the process all over again!) ;D ;)

Heh!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 02/20/09 at 1:57 pm

I voted "other".
I've quit posting in the PBG section a long time ago, but when I did I must've posted duplicate answers (multiple times, probably, 'cause guess who always ended up with the X's and Z's...? :P) so I can't vote "no".
I also can't vote "yes - post count baby!", 'cause that's one of the reasons why I quit posting there altogether. I don't like the way some people post in PBG religiously, just to rack up their post count IMHO. It's certainly not my way of doing things, that's for sure.
I would like to vote just a plain and simple "yes" without the post count remark. There's no way of stopping it, and like I said: I've done it myself. I see no problem in that.

Written By: Tam on 02/20/09 at 1:58 pm

Maybe I should set up another story game :D  You could check the archives for my original Story Game Thread and the Iron Chef Thread 8)

That could definitely be interesting Rice! 8)

Written By: Midas on 02/20/09 at 1:59 pm

Iron Chef Thread rocks. :D  I also liked those fantasy thread games we created like Penguin Cruise.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 2:00 pm

Someone dig up the archived links so we can have a model for the game!

Written By: Tam on 02/20/09 at 2:01 pm

I voted "other".
I've quit posting in the PBG section a long time ago, but when I did I must've posted duplicate answers (multiple times, probably, 'cause guess who always ended up with the X's and Z's...? :P) so I can't vote "no".
I also can't vote "yes - post count baby!", 'cause that's one of the reasons why I quit posting there altogether. I don't like the way some people post in PBG religiously, just to rack up their post count IMHO. It's certainly not my way of doing things, that's for sure.
I would like to vote just a plain and simple "yes" without the post count remark. There's no way of stopping it, and like I said: I've done it myself. I see no problem in that.

Plain old Yes has been added to the poll my friend. 8) ;)

Written By: Midas on 02/20/09 at 2:01 pm

Someone dig up the archived links so we can have a model for the game!

Live from Kitchen Arena -- IRON CHEF!!!  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 02/20/09 at 2:03 pm

I also liked those fantasy thread games we created like Penguin Cruise.

That one was fun.  If another like it comes along let me know, I will participate.

I voted yes.  I don't really do any of the games, but what does it matter if they are dups or not...they're just games.  I probably just offended hard core gamers but oh well...what are they gonna do?  Beat me up?  :P

;) :D

Written By: Henk on 02/20/09 at 2:04 pm

Plain old Yes has been added to the poll my friend. 8) ;)

In which case I'd like to change my vote to "yes". Plain and simple.

Written By: Tam on 02/20/09 at 2:05 pm

In which case I'd like to change my vote to "yes". Plain and simple.

I changed the poll Henk - so you can click change vote - and re-enter your yes. ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 2:08 pm

I believe Iron Chef has been canceled or at least bastardized into the Food Network American version.  How about someone tells me how Hell's Kitchen works and I'll set up something for that instead?

Written By: Midas on 02/20/09 at 2:15 pm

I believe Iron Chef has been canceled or at least bastardized into the Food Network American version.  How about someone tells me how Hell's Kitchen works and I'll set up something for that instead?

In a nutshell what I've seen Chef Ramsey hates everyone except maybe his customers. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 2:16 pm

Maybe we should just stick to a regular story game then.  I can make crap up better when I don't have to follow a script, which is what imagination is all about anyway :D

Written By: Midas on 02/20/09 at 2:18 pm

Classic 00ze Story Thread

The un-archived version of this included soundbytes and pics :D

Written By: Henk on 02/20/09 at 2:24 pm

I changed the poll Henk - so you can click change vote - and re-enter your yes. ;)

Where does it say "Change vote"...? ???

Written By: Tam on 02/20/09 at 2:44 pm

Where does it say "Change vote"...? ???

Sorry Henk - I thought you already changed your vote. ;)

It is up there in the poll now. 8)

Written By: gibbo on 02/20/09 at 4:37 pm

I also started off here having fun in the PBG. It was a great way to get up to speed (and you need to have speed when dealing with the likes of philip eno) and understand how the board works etc. I occasionally go back .. but not often...only play a select few games now!

I can see no issues with duplicates as the games are just as much about speed as anything else. Thinking of an answer is only a small fraction of the equation. Getting that answer posted when two or three others are all doing the same thing is the real battle!

Written By: wildcard on 02/20/09 at 5:22 pm

I like the Answer a question with a question.  How could you keep repeats out of games like Keep one drop one.  Games that repeat aren't nearly as fun, but it's not a problem. 

Written By: Howard on 02/20/09 at 6:55 pm

What kind of games are you talking about? ???

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 6:56 pm

What kind of games are you talking about? ???

The ones that suck.  We're trying to think of ideas for games that don't suck :)  Wanna help?

Written By: Howard on 02/20/09 at 7:01 pm

The ones that suck.  We're trying to think of ideas for games that don't suck :)  Wanna help?

Ok,What do you want for me to do? ???

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 7:01 pm

Ok,What do you want for me to do? ???

Tell us your ideas.

Written By: mooster on 02/20/09 at 7:03 pm

Yes, it's just a game  ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/20/09 at 7:04 pm

Tell us your ideas.

??? I can't come up with anything at the moment.  ???

Written By: loki 13 on 02/20/09 at 9:31 pm

I voted yes, though I don't really play the games anymore and just looking at my post count tells you I don't
care about that either. I tried to start a creative writing thread there awhile back, writing a story using song
titles. It got zero response, that's when I pretty much called it quits in the PBG.

Here's the thread, What made it easy was it died fast in the PBG.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=24995.0

Written By: wildcard on 02/20/09 at 10:11 pm

I had a pun writing thread that died.  It wasn't a game though.  I had it in the PP section.  Hmm... write a pun to go with the pun above it? 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/09 at 10:18 pm

I voted yes, though I don't really play the games anymore and just looking at my post count tells you I don't
care about that either. I tried to start a creative writing thread there awhile back, writing a story using song
titles. It got zero response, that's when I pretty much called it quits in the PBG.

Here's the thread, What made it easy was it died fast in the PBG.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=24995.0

I think I recall a game on the older board like that.  I would have played the game if I had known of its existence, but as you may have surmised, I don't read every post... :(

Written By: karen on 02/20/09 at 10:22 pm

I think I recall a game on the older board like that.  I would have played the game if I had known of its existence, but as you may have surmised, I don't read every post... :(

I think there was one where we each posted a line using either a song title or a 'well known' lyric

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 12:39 pm

I like the Answer a question with a question.  How could you keep repeats out of games like Keep one drop one.  Games that repeat aren't nearly as fun, but it's not a problem. 

I like Answer a question with a question too...its a little more challenging to be creative.  I also like fantastic word games.

I voted that Duplicate answers should not be allowed...
Its the A-Z and Link games that frustrate the hell out of me.... (the chain games too but not as much) 

I mean on the link the celebrities game if I see-

Wayne Newton>John Wayne>Elton John one more time I am going to scream...actually I have been tempted to sacrafice my post count and go delete all my answers just so I can stop getting notified on new posts in these games...now the only time i post in them is when I need to kill time at work and no one else is here posting.

plus there's the fact that sooooo many of the games are similar.

Fictional character A-z (movie, book, cartoon, tv)
TV characters A-Z
Cartoon Characters A-Z
Fictional Characters (book) A-Z

plus in the one word song titles ..... that thread is so long and you know Fame and Flashdance are in there at least 100 times  ::)

It's getting a little ridiculous....lock the games- lets start over and regulate a little more!

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 1:47 pm

the other thing is there are a lot of other threads that seem really similar...like "Who's on-line" and "Is anyone here?'

really aren't they essentially the same thing?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 2:11 pm

the other thing is there are a lot of other threads that seem really similar...like "Who's on-line" and "Is anyone here?'

really aren't they essentially the same thing?
"Is anyone here?' is more conversational.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 2:14 pm

"Is anyone here?' is more conversational.

Who's online has plenty of conversation too tho.... I mean people are forever popping to say Hey I'm here too! or I'm here but not for long... I don't see much of a difference

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 2:16 pm

Who's online has plenty of conversation too tho.... I mean people are forever popping to say Hey I'm here too! or I'm here but not for long... I don't see much of a difference
Who's online is the main thread for showing who is online.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 2:20 pm

Who's online is the main thread for showing who is online.

But would you not agree that people use it also to check if anyone is there?  I can pull specific examples if you need to see them

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 2:21 pm

But would you not agree that people use it also to check if anyone is there?  I can pull specific examples if you need to see them
Sometimes it is quick to check the thread than go to the Home or Front Page.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 2:26 pm

Sometimes it is quick to check the thread than go to the Home or Front Page.

but by check I don't me view  by check I actually meant "check in"

standard post... who's online
3 members
Philipeno, Badfinger-Fan, nally

then belle will pop in and say
I'm here too!

I occasionally pop in ask if you can see me hiding.  and then people will say I'm here but not for long- 

I don't see how this differs from the other thread... you could merge both since they serve similar purposes and eliminate the repetitive nature on the boards.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 2:27 pm

but by check I don't me view  by check I actually meant "check in"

standard post... who's online
3 members
Philipeno, Badfinger-Fan, nally

then belle will pop in and say
I'm here too!

I occasionally pop in ask if you can see me hiding.   and then people will say I'm here but not for long-  

I don't see how this differs from the other thread... you could merge both since they serve similar purposes and eliminate the repetitive nature on the boards.
To save on software, why not merge the threads.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 2:27 pm

there ya go...

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 2:28 pm

in the same vein tho...wouldn't you agree that deleting duplicate posts would also aid in saving on software?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 2:29 pm

in the same vein tho...wouldn't you agree that deleting duplicate posts would also aid in saving on software?
Deleting the duplicate posts would complicte the flow in the reading of the threads.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 2:32 pm

Deleting the duplicate posts would complicte the flow in the reading of the threads.

I don't think there are a whole lot of people who read these thread from the beginning anyway- plus you don't have to start with the chains--- but it would be simple enough to do in the  "number of words" in a title threads.... no upset to the flow there.... and also in the links section.... it could be done to some degree without upsetting the flow....as long as the links remained the flow would be intact.

Written By: ninny on 02/21/09 at 2:42 pm

It really doesn't matter much to me,I like going there and posting but with Missy being home and helping with Daniel I just don't find the time to post there anymore :-[ I really did like going there especially if Phil & Jeff were on it was a challenge to keep up with them.
If there are games that no one has answered in over 2 months then those should be thought to be deleted.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 2:43 pm

It really doesn't matter much to me,I like going there and posting but with Missy being home and helping with Daniel I just don't find the time to post there anymore :-[ I really did like going there especially if Phil & Jeff were on it was a challenge to keep up with them.
If there are games that no one has answered in over 2 months then those should be thought to be deleted.

that's not a bad idea  I know I started a game TV Shows Z-A but that was before I learned there was already a TV Shows A-Z  I had just started playing games and didn't realize yet what I was doing.... that could be deleted.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/09 at 6:43 pm

there ya go...

That'd be a good idea.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/09 at 9:33 pm

Perhaps locking threads after so many posts and starting new ones is a good way to go, but generally I think PBG is awesome the way it is because of what I know from a past experience.  Allow me to share a little story ...

A previous messageboard I had belonged to had a board games section that was closely moderated because the rule was that you were only allowed 1 post per game per day.  If you exceeded that, your posts were deleted, and sometimes (as I often found out), when the moderator didn't recognize or hadn't heard of the song you mentioned, it was skipped in favour of something else and your post was deleted

When I joined inthe00s and saw how PBG worked, I could not believe how much freedom there was.  I love it and still do, though like Henk, I am not a big fan of using PBG just to get a gigantic post count.  I am guilty of doing it, but only at certain times when I have time to kill.  Sometimes when you get posting in certain games, it's fun, plus you also see names of songs you don't recognize along the way, and end up finding some good tunes you didn't know about :)

Written By: snozberries on 02/22/09 at 12:50 am

Perhaps locking threads after so many posts and starting new ones is a good way to go, but generally I think PBG is awesome the way it is because of what I know from a past experience.  Allow me to share a little story ...

A previous messageboard I had belonged to had a board games section that was closely moderated because the rule was that you were only allowed 1 post per game per day.  If you exceeded that, your posts were deleted, and sometimes (as I often found out), when the moderator didn't recognize or hadn't heard of the song you mentioned, it was skipped in favour of something else and your post was deleted

When I joined inthe00s and saw how PBG worked, I could not believe how much freedom there was.  I love it and still do, though like Henk, I am not a big fan of using PBG just to get a gigantic post count.  I am guilty of doing it, but only at certain times when I have time to kill.  Sometimes when you get posting in certain games, it's fun, plus you also see names of songs you don't recognize along the way, and end up finding some good tunes you didn't know about :)

I see what you're saying... I don't think we should eliminate posts because no ones ever heard of

for example........... He's Mine ~ Mokenstef  (the answer to Q#1 in a quiz I posted some time ago-)

You're right Jason- its a good way to discover something new...and with many of us living in different countries there are bound to be answers that we've never heard of.... Philip posts tons of UK TV shows I don't kinow... I don't think they should be deleted because we don't know them in the US.... that's elitist and wrong.... .but I am sick of seeing the an answer show up on page and then show up again 2 pages later...

I'm not saying I'm not guilty of it too but honestly there are two reasons I stopped playing games.... (well virtually stopped for as I said there are a few games I still like and sometimes I revisit the others when I am bored.)

The primary reason I stopped playing games is because I got bored reading the same tired answers over and over again....

the second is, the games are more fun if try beat someone...usually Philip, Jeff or Sasha because they are the ones usually playing when I play.  Sometimes I see several games on my unreplied list and I think I clicked Keep one drop one...but I actually clicked word chain or something and then I make the wrong post... I feel like a get my ass handed to me for making an innocent mistake and you know it sucked the fun out of it for me...

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/22/09 at 8:19 pm

I play the games there because, well, I just think its fun. It's even more fun keeping up (or try to!) with Jeff, Philip, or anyone else there.  :)

Written By: Tam on 02/26/09 at 12:04 pm

So, then what do we think?

Should we lock some of the old games and start new threads?
Obviously, duplicate posts are wanted, so we aren't going to do anything about that.

Who wants to start new threads?
What ones should we lock?

Bueller?

Written By: Tam on 02/26/09 at 3:45 pm

Wait - looking at the board - why don't we lock the threads that are over 500+ pages and start fresh ones?

Except of course for Link the Songs - because I know there is a competition going on with that one. 8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/26/09 at 4:21 pm

Wait - looking at the board - why don't we lock the threads that are over 500+ pages and start fresh ones?

Except of course for Link the Songs - because I know there is a competition going on with that one. 8)

No big deal, I don't think threads need to be locked anymore because of the cap on previous posts in the reply dialogue.

Not to mention that if you locked it, you'd get:

1) whining and complaining

and

2) a new game thread with duplicate responses anyway.

Just me $.02

Written By: Tam on 02/26/09 at 4:27 pm

No big deal, I don't think threads need to be locked anymore because of the cap on previous posts in the reply dialogue.

Not to mention that if you locked it, you'd get:

1) whining and complaining

and

2) a new game thread with duplicate responses anyway.

Just me $.02

Rice Cube's reading and understanding ability = FAIL! ;D

What I am saying is that we lock the old one and start a new one - exactly the same.
So people won't whine, complain or start countless duplicates....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/26/09 at 4:32 pm

Rice Cube's reading and understanding ability = FAIL! ;D

What I am saying is that we lock the old one and start a new one - exactly the same.
So people won't whine, complain or start countless duplicates....

I understood you, I'm just saying what will result if you do that willy nilly, but if you asked first, which I guess you implied in your post but it went *whoosh*, and they said yes, then I guess it's all good eh :D

Check for new replies or respond here...