inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Got to get the milk, eggs and bread!

Written By: loki 13 on 03/01/09 at 11:43 am

A winter storm is descending upon us, the call is for 4-8 inches in the Philadelphia area. This is sending people
in a panic and they are franticly rushing to the grocery store for milk, eggs, bread and let's not forget bottled
water. The news interviewed one woman, whose cart was filled with gallons of milk and water, why she was
buying so much and what about other customers who might want these items as well. Her response, "Forget
them, I was here first and I want to be prepared." Prepared for what, a nuclear disaster? It will be close to 50
degrees by Thursday and the whopping 4 inches will be gone. The snow will be gone before the milk goes bad.

I ask, why these particular items? Why do people feel a need to stock up before a storm? I am talking about city folk,
people who know the stores will be open the following day. The biggest storm in Philadelphia history, 32 inches, shut
down area stores for 2 days, hardly a need to stockpile anything yet people will still rush to the stores for milk, eggs and
bread. I just don't get it.

Subject: Re: Got to get the milk, eggs and bread!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/01/09 at 11:45 am

Because we all need pancakes and toast during the Apocalypse.

Written By: karen on 03/01/09 at 12:55 pm

You mean they weren't buying toilet paper as well?

Everyone here seems to need copious quantities of that as well whenever a storm is threatened.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/01/09 at 1:47 pm

You mean they weren't buying toilet paper as well?

Everyone here seems to need copious quantities of that as well whenever a storm is threatened.

We always have a lot "on hand"... just in case someone tries to corner the market.  ;)

Stocking up here happens a lot because when bad storms hit we can be out of power for up to three weeks in areas. Isabel wiped us out for 8 days - most of Gloucester was 20, and rural areas like where my dad lives were out of power for a month. Lots of aerial power lines and trees = bad. Ice storms do the same but with smaller timeframes. 

signature banned as well

Written By: Howard on 03/01/09 at 4:36 pm

When customers hear that a storm is coming,people go crazy and they start stacking up for they are prepared for when it does happen.

Written By: MissDemento on 03/01/09 at 5:35 pm

Better to have and not need then need and not have?

Even though I believe that most of americans spend vast amount of time inside their homes as it is.

Written By: Frank on 03/01/09 at 7:24 pm

A winter storm is descending upon us, the call is for 4-8 inches in the Philadelphia area. This is sending people
in a panic and they are franticly rushing to the grocery store for milk, eggs, bread and let's not forget bottled
water. The news interviewed one woman, whose cart was filled with gallons of milk and water, why she was
buying so much and what about other customers who might want these items as well. Her response, "Forget
them, I was here first and I want to be prepared." Prepared for what, a nuclear disaster? It will be close to 50
degrees by Thursday and the whopping 4 inches will be gone. The snow will be gone before the milk goes bad.

I ask, why these particular items? Why do people feel a need to stock up before a storm? I am talking about city folk,
people who know the stores will be open the following day. The biggest storm in Philadelphia history, 32 inches, shut
down area stores for 2 days, hardly a need to stockpile anything yet people will still rush to the stores for milk, eggs and

I'll fly to Philly and be a scalper on the street selling eggs for $50 a carton, and $75 for a milk carton (which is just a little more expnsive that a 7-11, not much tho)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/01/09 at 7:31 pm

It's amazing to watch people like that as they shop in panic mode. since they need refrigeration, eggs and milk are not good choices if the power/electricity goes out for longer than a day.  as for me and my house, lots of water, canned foods and dry boxed foods in the cupboard are good to have a supply of. we always have lots of teepee, & batteries which Lady Di picks up at Costco.

Written By: gibbo on 03/01/09 at 9:14 pm

It's amazing to watch people like that as they shop in panic mode. since they need refrigeration, eggs and milk are not good choices if the power/electricity goes out for longer than a day.  as for me and my house, lots of water, canned foods and dry boxed foods in the cupboard are good to have a supply of. we always have lots of teepee, & batteries which Lady Di picks up at Costco.

Hey .....and what about chocolate, chips and beer???

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/01/09 at 9:16 pm

Because we all need pancakes and toast during the Apocalypse.

More like french toast till Spring. :-\\

Written By: karen on 03/01/09 at 9:32 pm

I'm not sure that eggs really need to be refrigerated.  We certainly never used to!  But milk is a different matter.  I always buy a couple of cartons of UHT milk to keep in the cupboard over the winter.  I keep an eye on the use by date and put it in milk desserts or whatever if I need to use it up.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/02/09 at 1:07 am

Seeing the title of the thread made me think of blizzards for some reason.

Indianapolis had a particulary bad snowstorm in 78(I was too young to remember) and to this day almost everytime we have snowfall our business increases greatly.

Written By: Gis on 03/02/09 at 3:30 am

I'm not sure that eggs really need to be refrigerated.  We certainly never used to! 
Yes but back in those days they didn't have the intensive battery farming which spreads salmonella..........

People do it a Christmas too though! You see people with trolleys with 20 loaves of bread and gallons of milk and the stores are only shut for 2 days!!

Written By: Howard on 03/02/09 at 5:46 am

Better to have and not need then need and not have?

Even though I believe that most of americans spend vast amount of time inside their homes as it is.

Then we spend most of the time on the computer and watching tv.

Written By: MissDemento on 03/02/09 at 12:51 pm

Then we spend most of the time on the computer and watching tv.

Basically, But either way if the electricity goes out.. They have enough food when they sit inside all day, so there's really no difference if their is a blizzard coming!

Written By: loki 13 on 03/02/09 at 4:14 pm

This is why I question the numbnuts who have to stockpile before a storm. Last night I went to WAWA, a local
convenience store, for a cup of coffee and a donut. The bread shelf was barren, not a loaf to be had. About 7
inches of snow fell last night yet I still had no problem getting to work this morning and when I returned home
from work the roads to the store with the barren bread shelves were completely clear and stores were open.
See, no need to panic nor stockpile perishables.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/09 at 4:32 pm

Just yesterday,Pathmark was a madhouse and now today after nearly a foot of snow,the place was dead slow cause nobody wants to go out during the nasty weather.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/09 at 4:33 pm

Basically, But either way if the electricity goes out.. They have enough food when they sit inside all day, so there's really no difference if their is a blizzard coming!

Then we stuff ourselves silly with snacks galore.

Written By: MissDemento on 03/02/09 at 11:01 pm

Then we stuff ourselves silly with snacks galore.

Truche! I do love snacks! :D

Written By: Howard on 03/03/09 at 6:45 am

People get so worried about a snowstorm that when the storm passes by,they get worried over nothing.

Written By: Gis on 03/03/09 at 6:47 am

People get so worried about a snowstorm that when the storm passes by,they get worried over nothing.
It's different in the U.K because we don't get them very often. The last bad snow was in 1991. There were a lot of bad car accidents, mostly people who had never driven in snow before. A whole generation of kids had never seen snow like it before. 

Written By: Howard on 03/03/09 at 6:49 am

It's different in the U.K because we don't get them very often. The last bad snow was in 1991. There were a lot of bad car accidents, mostly people who had never driven in snow before. A whole generation of kids had never seen snow like it before. 

So,I guess it doesn't snow very often in the UK? ???

Written By: Melanie Lee on 03/04/09 at 12:06 pm

The news interviewed one woman, whose cart was filled with gallons of milk and water, why she was

I'm taking a brief course called "Good $ense", about how to manage your money.  The teacher touched on the issue of economic justice.  He said, "People think that scarcity causes greed.  The opposite is true.  Greed causes scarcity."  What that woman did illustrates this perfectly.

"Forget them," she said, referring to others who might need the water and milk she was overstocking and hoarding.  She may as well have said, "F*** them."  Like the SUV, which I call the FUV--the F-you Vehicle--this woman's hoarding expresses the idea of protecting yourself at the expense of others, even while endangering others.  I hate that attitude!  >:(

She should heed the advice of the song "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down": "just take what you need and leave the rest."

Written By: Howard on 03/04/09 at 3:03 pm

Customers also panic in the summertime when they hear about a thunderstorm and they have to buy millions of things so they don't get trapped.

Check for new replies or respond here...