inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Patron Saints

Written By: Tam on 03/04/09 at 2:34 pm

I split this into another topic, because it does bear some conversation. I am also putting it in the TTT, because it really isn't a hardcore debate - it is a conversation worth reading and adding to for those of us who do not understand. 8)

I hope someone could tell me the meaning of that phrase I learnt time before adagio  ::)

Since it's your Patron you shold know it, don't you?

Interesting... I had no clue that Adagio was from Ireland. :o 8)

Written By: adagio on 03/04/09 at 2:53 pm

I hope someone could tell me the meaning of that phrase I learnt time before adagio  ::)

Since it's your Patron you shold know it, don't you?

Your Patron Saint is a Saint either associated to your name( Patricia) or closely associated with your birthday...close to March 17. :)

Tam...it does not mean that I come from Ireland.  :)

Written By: Tam on 03/04/09 at 2:58 pm

Your Patron Saint is a Saint either associated to your name( Patricia) or closely associated with your birthday...close to March 17. :)

Tam...it does not mean that I come from Ireland.  :)

hmmm.... St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of Ireland.
That's why I said you were from Ireland.

I personally have never heard of a Patron Saint for your name or your birthday.

"Patron saints are chosen as special protectors or guardians over areas of life. These areas can include occupations, illnesses, churches, countries, causes -- anything that is important to us. The earliest records show that people and churches were named after apostles and martyrs as early as the fourth century.

Recently, the popes have named patron saints but patrons can be chosen by other individuals or groups as well. Patron saints are often chosen today because an interest, talent, or event in their lives overlaps with the special area. Angels can also be named as patron saints. A patron saint can help us when we follow the example of that saint's life and when we ask for that saint's intercessory prayers to God.

For example, Francis of Assisi loved nature and so he is patron of ecologists. Francis de Sales was a writer and so he is patron of journalists and writers. Clare of Assisi was named patron of television because one Christmas when she was too ill to leave her bed she saw and heard Christmas Mass -- even though it was taking place miles away."

Written By: seamermar on 03/04/09 at 5:47 pm

statsqueen, just let's keep it like this,
give me some more music to reap  ;)

Posted by: Tam

For example, Francis of Assisi loved nature and so he is patron of ecologists. Francis de Sales was a writer and so he is patron of journalists and writers.

I got then two good Patrons to choose,
the nature lover  and the one who's writer
I would like to be both, the two together
the one to behold and then write the book 

Francisco Paco for short  ;)

Written By: karen on 03/04/09 at 6:18 pm

In some countries you would have your birthday and your name day.  Your name day is usually the saint's day of the saint with the same name (or derivative of it).

Written By: Jessica on 03/04/09 at 6:19 pm

Who's the patron saint of alcoholics, cause I'm claiming them.

Oh wait, it's Saint Monica.

Written By: Tam on 03/04/09 at 6:32 pm

;D

Written By: snozberries on 03/04/09 at 7:23 pm

For example, Francis of Assisi loved nature and so he is patron of ecologists.

that's funny... I always thought he was the patron saint of wimps  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 03/04/09 at 7:25 pm

hmmm  and all this time I thought it was St. Pauli....girl.  ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mpOAS-HxaQU/RtO7I947LxI/AAAAAAAAAOw/y7d3s5gh-0E/s320/stpauligirllabel.jpg

Written By: adagio on 03/04/09 at 8:08 pm

hmmm.... St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of Ireland.
That's why I said you were from Ireland.

I personally have never heard of a Patron Saint for your name or your birthday.

"Patron saints are chosen as special protectors or guardians over areas of life. These areas can include occupations, illnesses, churches, countries, causes -- anything that is important to us. The earliest records show that people and churches were named after apostles and martyrs as early as the fourth century.

Recently, the popes have named patron saints but patrons can be chosen by other individuals or groups as well. Patron saints are often chosen today because an interest, talent, or event in their lives overlaps with the special area. Angels can also be named as patron saints. A patron saint can help us when we follow the example of that saint's life and when we ask for that saint's intercessory prayers to God.

For example, Francis of Assisi loved nature and so he is patron of ecologists. Francis de Sales was a writer and so he is patron of journalists and writers. Clare of Assisi was named patron of television because one Christmas when she was too ill to leave her bed she saw and heard Christmas Mass -- even though it was taking place miles away."

Patricia is a form of the name Patrick. Patricia Belle is my name not adagio.  :)

Written By: adagio on 03/04/09 at 8:13 pm

that's funny... I always thought he was the patron saint of wimps  ;D

Snoz...I am part of the secular Franciscan Order and if you read a book about him that's not just about flowerd, birds, etc. . but his spiritual life and the agony he put up with you would say I can't do what this Saint did at all.

Written By: Tam on 03/04/09 at 8:32 pm

Patricia is a form of the name Patrick. Patricia Belle is my name not adagio.  :)

Ummm.... ok. I knew your name wasn't really adagio because you have told us several times Chucky gave you that name.

What I was saying is that according to history and teaching, there isn't Saints for names or birthdays - that they are centered around certain things. ie. Land masses, diseases, professions etc.

If there were for birthday's, then that would mean my Patron Saint would be Julius Caesar?! My birthday is always exactly the week before The Ides of March. Thus, the bringing into the Ides....

Written By: adagio on 03/04/09 at 8:36 pm

Ummm.... ok. I knew your name wasn't really adagio because you have told us several times Chucky gave you that name.

What I was saying is that according to history and teaching, there isn't Saints for names or birthdays - that they are centered around certain things. ie. Land masses, diseases, professions etc.

If there were for birthday's, then that would mean my Patron Saint would be Julius Caesar?! My birthday is always exactly the week before The Ides of March. Thus, the bringing into the Ides....

Julius Ceaesar is not a Saint.  Whether there is for birthdays and names, beliee what you want.

Written By: Tam on 03/04/09 at 8:37 pm

Julius Ceaesar is not a Saint.  Whether there is for birthdays and names, beliee what you want.

I know he isn't a Saint Pat - it was a joke. ;) 8)
;D ;D

Written By: adagio on 03/04/09 at 8:47 pm

;D ;D

Still...believe what you want!  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 03/04/09 at 8:51 pm

Snoz...I am part of the secular Franciscan Order and if you read a book about him that's not just about flowerd, birds, etc. . but his spiritual life and the agony he put up with you would say I can't do what this Saint did at all.

there a lot of things people have done that I would never be able to do... I would never have been able to make the journey into outer space  and I never would have survived the civil rights movement...

so what's your point?

Written By: snozberries on 03/04/09 at 8:52 pm

;D ;D

its okay Tam... I laughed!

Written By: statsqueen on 03/04/09 at 9:01 pm

Me, too!  8)

Written By: Tam on 03/04/09 at 9:19 pm

Me, too!   8)

Y'all are irreplaceable! ;D ;) 8)

Written By: Jessica on 03/04/09 at 9:29 pm

Julius Ceaesar is not a Saint.

You're right about that.  He's a god, and was proclaimed so in 42 BC.

Written By: Jessica on 03/04/09 at 9:30 pm

Speaking of saints and sh*t, I was looking at a list of patron saints and NOT ONE was there for homosexuality.  They have it for AIDS, accounting, boils, butt rash, and everything else, but not gay people.  Sad.

Written By: Tam on 03/04/09 at 9:56 pm

Speaking of saints and sh*t, I was looking at a list of patron saints and NOT ONE was there for homosexuality.  They have it for AIDS, accounting, boils, butt rash, and everything else, but not gay people.  Sad.

Right, I noticed that too....
There aren't any Patron Saints for Atheists either ;D

Written By: Jessica on 03/04/09 at 10:11 pm

I'm reading through the list again.  Best one I found so far?  Choirboys.

I'll shut up now. :-X

Disclaimer:  I was a Catholic, so I can be a bitch about the religion if I want to.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/04/09 at 10:11 pm

Disclaimer:  I was a Catholic, so I can be a bitch about the religion if I want to.

She can leave her friends behind too.

Written By: Jessica on 03/04/09 at 10:13 pm

I feel the urge to share this again:

Burger King Safety Dance

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/04/09 at 10:14 pm

:D

Written By: snozberries on 03/04/09 at 11:12 pm

Wow...impressive observation!

Written By: snozberries on 03/04/09 at 11:13 pm

Right, I noticed that too....
There aren't any Patron Saints for Atheists either ;D

we're a backwards group....we just worship dogs!  ;)

Written By: Jessica on 03/04/09 at 11:40 pm

Ironically, there is a patron saint for dogs, which I thought were to have no souls.

Written By: snozberries on 03/04/09 at 11:44 pm

Ironically, there is a patron saint for dogs, which I thought were to have no souls.

Oh dogs totally have souls... but cats don't

sorry Cat  ;)

Written By: Jessica on 03/04/09 at 11:55 pm

sorry Cat  ;)

;D

Written By: gibbo on 03/05/09 at 1:21 am

They have four feet don't they?? :D

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 2:00 am

ah.... soles..... funny! ;D

Written By: gibbo on 03/05/09 at 2:05 am

It's a 'Dad' joke!  Sad the way our humour declines when we become parents!

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 2:06 am

It's a 'Dad' joke!   Sad the way our humour declines when we become parents!

you must get much entertainment out of embarrassing the kids... I know my dad thrived on it!  ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/05/09 at 9:59 am

What, exactly, is the point of having a patron saint anyway?  Are they like a guardian angel or something?  It seems like there's a saint for everything.  I've never understood that...

Written By: adagio on 03/05/09 at 10:26 am

??

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/09 at 10:28 am

sorry Cat  ;)

I'm a heathen Pagan-I thought everyone knew that.

Cat

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 11:05 am

;D
I never even thought to look!

Because her friends don't dance and if they don't dance well they're, no friends of mine! ;D

I feel the urge to share this again:

Burger King Safety Dance

Bahahaha! ;D ;D

Hilarious!!
But I should tell you that my cats have souls/soles!
They torment the hell out of my dog, so they have something going on for sure! 8)

??

It was a joke..... :-X

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 11:09 am

What, exactly, is the point of having a patron saint anyway?  Are they like a guardian angel or something?  It seems like there's a saint for everything.  I've never understood that...

Apparently they intercede with God.
I am not Catholic - but in researching, it seems any problems they have or needs they need to have met, the Patron Saints are the ones who take the worries and concerns and prayers to God. At least that is my interpretation of what I have read.

Personally, I just pray to God - no Patron Saint. Wouldn't a Patron Saint be then seen as an Idol?

Cat

I thought everyone knew that too - you Heathen you!!! 8) ;D

Written By: karen on 03/05/09 at 11:15 am

In some countries you would have your birthday and your name day.  Your name day is usually the saint's day of the saint with the same name (or derivative of it).

ahem

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 12:40 pm

Cat

Yeah I know..... but you're also a cat lover- you perv! that's why the apology  :P

I thought everyone knew that too - you Heathen you!!! 8) ;D

how can we not know....she reminds us frequently  ;D

Written By: adagio on 03/05/09 at 2:02 pm

It was a joke..... :-X

That looks like a frowny face.  Smile... ;D

Written By: adagio on 03/05/09 at 2:07 pm

Apparently they intercede with God.

Personally, I just pray to God - no Patron Saint. Wouldn't a Patron Saint be then seen as an Idol?

a Saint an idol?  No way  ::)

Written By: Jessica on 03/05/09 at 2:10 pm

a Saint an idol?  No way   ::)

So instead of rolling your eyes about our "ignorance", why don't you actually EXPLAIN what saints are and what they are there for.

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 2:32 pm

Lets see...saints become saints becaue they do good...and/or suffer for the cause.  once they are named saints- people idolize them... yep... I gotta agree with Tam.  Saint = Idol.

Written By: adagio on 03/05/09 at 2:50 pm

So instead of rolling your eyes about our "ignorance", why don't you actually EXPLAIN what saints are and what they are there for.

Say...I didn't roll any eyes...that's an expression.

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 2:56 pm

Say...I didn't roll any eyes...that's an expression.

when you post  ::)  you are rolling your eyes at someone...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/09 at 3:18 pm

"Thou shall have no other gods before me" but yet people pray to saints who are mere mortals. 

Does anyone else see this as a conflict?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:21 pm

"Thou shall have no other gods before me" but yet people pray to saints who are mere mortals. 

Cat

well the hypocrisy of religion has always been an issue for me.

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 3:31 pm

Cat

well the hypocrisy of religion has always been an issue for me.

This is why I am glad to be non-Denominational.
I pray to God.

The whole Patron Saint's thing has baffled me forever. And no offense intended, but the whole Catholic thing - praying to The Virgin Mary never made sense to me either. :-[

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:35 pm

I pray to God.

The whole Patron Saint's thing has baffled me forever. And no offense intended, but the whole Catholic thing - praying to The Virgin Mary never made sense to me either. :-[

you also have that good kind of faith where you do your thing and don't try to shove your beliefs down people's throats... plus, you know, you don't seem to mind that some of us think differently from you.

I have a question for the believers... if God created humans and gave us free will.... do you really think he's offend that we have our own beliefs and occassionally say God damn?
I'm pretty sure... they way you all describe him- that he'd be okay with it. . .

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/09 at 3:41 pm

I pray to God.

To me, praying to Mary is a way to keep the Goddess alive in a patriarch society/religion.  ;)

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:43 pm

To me, praying to Mary is a way to keep the Goddess alive in a patriarch society/religion.  ;)

Cat

plus she's the ideal woman.. she can bring forth life while remaining virginal... what guy doesn't want that!

when I was in high school we put an "I'm Available" Sign on the virgin mary statue outside of our school... it was hilarious!  the nuns didn't think so but everyone else did  ;D

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 3:45 pm

you also have that good kind of faith where you do your thing and don't try to shove your beliefs down people's throats... plus, you know, you don't seem to mind that some of us think differently from you.

I have a question for the believers... if God created humans and gave us free will.... do you really think he's offend that we have our own beliefs and occassionally say God damn?
I'm pretty sure... they way you all describe him- that he'd be okay with it. . .

Without getting all Religious and stuff - yep, God gave us free will. I personally don't think he is offended because people choose what they do. I'm sure it breaks his heart to know that his people choose others than him, but how would he really be viewed if he went around shoving himself upon everyone? More would turn away then turn towards...

As for my faith, well, it is what it is. I could never tell people they need to be like me, nor could I judge someone because of their own beliefs. Of course, even if a friend is a non-believer, I am still going to pray for them, and tell them so when they need me to. I can appreciate that friendships are designed to makes us better people. to live in harmony with those we choose and who have chosen us. Of course, no one gets along 100% of the time, but that's actually what strengthens friendships, IMO. I like that we are all different, and I like that we can say who we are, without recourse. You accept me and I accept you. Plain and simple and to the point. 8)

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:49 pm

Without getting all Religious and stuff - yep, God gave us free will. I personally don't think he is offended because people choose what they do. I'm sure it breaks his heart to know that his people choose others than him, but how would he really be viewed if he went around shoving himself upon everyone? More would turn away then turn towards...

As for my faith, well, it is what it is. I could never tell people they need to be like me, nor could I judge someone because of their own beliefs. Of course, even if a friend is a non-believer, I am still going to pray for them, and tell them so when they need me to. I can appreciate that friendships are designed to makes us better people. to live in harmony with those we choose and who have chosen us. Of course, no one gets along 100% of the time, but that's actually what strengthens friendships, IMO. I like that we are all different, and I like that we can say who we are, with recourse. You accept me and I accept you. Plain and simple and to the point. 8)

all  of that is why I love you!  :-*

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 3:50 pm

plus she's the ideal woman.. she can bring forth life while remaining virginal... what guy doesn't want that!

Ah yes, but you see, she didn't remain a virgin. Her and Joseph went and got their groove on - giving Jesus a couple of brothers. 8)

And I am sure the guys would rather get their end wet than have a woman trapesing around immaculately pregnant - then they will surely never get any! ;D

Written By: karen on 03/05/09 at 3:51 pm

A church near me has a sign about some 'fun' social next week.  The headline is TGIF!

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:51 pm

Ah yes, but you see, she didn't remain a virgin. Her and Joseph went and got their groove on - giving Jesus a couple of brothers. 8)

And I am sure the guys would rather get their end wet than have a woman trapesing around immaculately pregnant - then they will surely never get any! ;D

It was a thick book and I couldn't quite get into it...so I stopped reading after the first couple of chapters  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:52 pm

A church near me has a sign about some 'fun' social next week.  The headline is TGIF!

Right on!

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 3:54 pm

all  of that is why I love you!  :-*

Thanks Girl! ;) :-*

I had to go edit it because it said "with recourse" and it should have read "without recourse" lol

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:55 pm

Thanks Girl! ;) :-*

I had to go edit it because it said "with recourse" and it should have read "without recourse" lol

fast typing makes boobs....  boo boos  ;D

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 3:55 pm

It was a thick book and I couldn't quite get into it...so I stopped reading after the first couple of chapters   ;D

Haha! Trust me - I haven't gotten through it all either.
It is a very dry read! ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/06/09 at 2:22 am

It surely does!!!

Excellent! Of course, we all know that their G stands for Goodness! 8)
it's ok, you can say the name in public  ::)    Thank God It's Friday 

Subject: Re: Patron Saints

Written By: nally on 03/06/09 at 7:42 pm

My middle name is Christopher, so I always figured Christopher to be my patron saint.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/06/09 at 8:37 pm

My middle name is Christopher, so I always figured Christopher to be my patron saint.

St. Christopher, the patron saint of travelers

Written By: snozberries on 03/06/09 at 11:13 pm

St. Christopher, the patron saint of travelers

guess you better honor your saint Jeff and start traveling.  ;)

Written By: Tam on 03/06/09 at 11:40 pm

Actually, it is too hard for even myself to stay on topic in this thread - so I am gonna move it back to the PPP! ;) ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 03/06/09 at 11:46 pm

Actually, it is too hard for even myself to stay on topic in this thread - so I am gonna move it back to the PPP! ;) ;D

You lead, we'll follow!

Written By: snozberries on 03/06/09 at 11:53 pm

I don't know what you're talking about...most of my posts have been on topic... heck telling Jeff to travel was just a way to get him to honor his saint.  ;D

Written By: Tam on 03/06/09 at 11:57 pm

Yes but also staying serious..... not in my vocabulary! ;D

Written By: Tam on 03/06/09 at 11:58 pm

... so who is the Patron Saint of dishes? 'Coz I really need them to help me out around here! ;D

Written By: Jessica on 03/06/09 at 11:59 pm

Is there a patron saint for a fat drunk bitch who likes to cause trouble on messageboards?

Written By: snozberries on 03/06/09 at 11:59 pm

Yes but also staying serious..... not in my vocabulary! ;D

I was just happy to see St Francis of Asissi (a sissy) = Patron saint of wimps...still stands!  ;D  I've been telling that joke since I lived on St Francis way in 1982 (around the same time I started attending Catholic School!)  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/07/09 at 12:48 am

this thread just reminded me that  some friends & I used to have our favorite Patron Saints of Self Defense:

Bruce Lee
Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)
Steven Seagal

it's been awhile & I can't remember the others
oh yeah...Chuck Norris

and a few others

Written By: Jessica on 03/07/09 at 12:48 am

this thread just reminded me that  some friends & I used to have our favorite Patron Saints of Self Defense:

Bruce Lee
Steven Seagal

oh yeah...Chuck Norris

and a few others

Chuck Norris PWNS all.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/07/09 at 12:56 am

Chuck Norris PWNS all.
8)  right on Jess.  Chuck rules

Written By: snozberries on 03/07/09 at 10:00 am

Bruce Lee
Steven Seagal

oh yeah...Chuck Norris

and a few others

what no Jean Claude van DAMN!  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/07/09 at 2:45 pm

what no Jean Claude van DAMN!  ;)
I forgot about him. Yes! he also was part of the Patron Saints of Self-Defense team

Written By: loki 13 on 03/07/09 at 4:08 pm

Chuck Norris PWNS all.

Tell that to Bruce Lee in Way Of The Dragon HAHAHA!!

Written By: Jessica on 03/07/09 at 4:18 pm

Tell that to Bruce Lee in Way Of The Dragon HAHAHA!!

In the interest of being a total and complete asshole, I will point out that Chuck Norris is still ALIVE.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/07/09 at 4:19 pm

In the interest of being a total and complete asshole, I will point out that Chuck Norris is still ALIVE.

Bruce Lee chose not to kill him.

Written By: Jessica on 03/07/09 at 4:20 pm

Bruce Lee chose not to kill him.

;D

Written By: Jessica on 03/07/09 at 4:21 pm

Oh yeah, completely off topic about EVERYTHING, but my mom's old gynecologist was named Bruce Lee.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/07/09 at 4:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGQ72bre30

Bruce Lee pwns ping pong.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/07/09 at 5:04 pm

Since death is one of the criteria for Sainthood, Bruce Lee is the only one of the group qualified to hold such
a high position, therefor I stand by my original statement....Bruce Lee Rules.

Check for new replies or respond here...