inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things we still do even though the reasons behind them are obsolete

Written By: snozberries on 03/08/09 at 12:22 pm

Things we still do even though the reasons are obsolete.....

obviously I'm thinking about this whole time change thing..... I mean- back when we were all farming it made sense- there was no electricity and stuff.....but now that we have evolved to this highly technical society- is there really a need to move the clock backwards and forwards?

And I've always wondered- is the no pork things about the pigs...sort of how the cow is sacred in India....or is it because when Moses was wandering through the desert there was no refrigeration so pork could actually kill you?  One of my Jewish friends says its number two...but she's the only one I asked so I don't know that's true....besides...she totally eats ham and bacon.  ;D 

Subject: Re: Things we still do even though the reasons behind them are obsolete

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/09 at 1:21 pm

The Electoral College. It was stemmed in slavery and should be abolished. 

Cat

Subject: Re: Things we still do even though the reasons behind them are obsolete

Written By: karen on 03/08/09 at 1:24 pm

Things we still do even though the reasons are obsolete.....

obviously I'm thinking about this whole time change thing..... I mean- back when we were all farming it made sense- there was no electricity and stuff.....but now that we have evolved to this highly technical society- is there really a need to move the clock backwards and forwards?

And I've always wondered- is the no pork things about the pigs...sort of how the cow is sacred in India....or is it because when Moses was wandering through the desert there was no refrigeration so pork could actually kill you?  One of my Jewish friends says its number two...but she's the only one I asked so I don't know that's true....besides...she totally eats ham and bacon.  ;D 

Another thing I heard about not eating pork was because they were one of the few animals (that we eat) that would eat other meat.  So there was a higher risk of cross-contamination.  And then the farmers got involved...

Written By: snozberries on 03/08/09 at 1:29 pm

The Electoral College. It was stemmed in slavery and should be abolished. 

Cat

good point... I never really got the whole electoral college thing anyway...

Check for new replies or respond here...