inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CALLING ALL GENEALOGISTS!!!!

Written By: Jessica on 03/14/09 at 11:06 pm

I need help! :D

Two things:

1.  I'm looking for information on my grandmother's family.  It is hard to find because: a) Dust Bowl Migration and b) they apparently changed their names a lot for some reason (dunno if it was because my step-great-grandfather stole some livestock to feed them all).

2.  Before my grandmother died this past December, she let it slip that my grandfather had had another child with a different woman before she came and "stole" him away (this is apparently why my great-grandmother hated my grandmother).  I have ZERO information beyond that.  I'm still trying to figure out when and where my grandparents got married (but I can find that out).  So.....I kind of want to find out if this story is true or if my grandmother was just hallucinating towards the end of her life.  If the story turns out to be true, I'll be satisfied with knowing that my grandfather had a better son than the dipshyt I call an uncle now.  If it's not true, then I'll just let it go.

So yeah, if you're curious and are really great at finding this stuff out, send me a PM. :)

Subject: Re: CALLING ALL GENEALOGISTS!!!!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/15/09 at 6:32 pm

1.) If the family didn't move outside of an area it is possible to find information on them even with the name changes.  The kids names and ages don't change with the last name.  Find similar patterns in the census.  That may narrow it down.

2.) If you know the county in which your Grandparents were married they should have info from the marriage license if not a copy of the license itself.  As for the illegitimate child was there every anything else mentioned?  A name or date to start from.

Written By: karen on 03/15/09 at 9:28 pm

I think Patty knows something about family trees

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/16/09 at 2:39 pm

hey jess, here's a link that offers many sites to do your research. good luck    http://www.pcc.org/genealogy/index.shtml

Written By: Jessica on 03/16/09 at 3:37 pm

Solved the first mystery, but it led to more questions.  It's like my grandmother's family popped up for the 1930's census only. ;D

Second mystery might be solved in a while.  I need to contact my grandfather's brother, which is fairly simple since he's listed online.

Thanks for all the help guys.  Lots of good tips and sites. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/09 at 11:56 am

http://www.ancestorhunt.com/mormon_church_records.htm

The Mormon Church is renowned for it's Genealogy database.  Here's another resource that might be helpful to you.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/09 at 12:26 pm

FYI for anyone who wants to do genealogy but would require leg work (something that my mother has been doing LONG before the internet came into being), Vital Statistics in ANY state is a good place-this is where they keep birth/death certificates, marriage licenses, etc. This is open to the public-you just may have to pay an entrance fee and/or copy fees. You can also search cemeteries. I can't tell you how many times I have gone into cemeteries with my mother looking for graves of ancestors. Church records are also a good place. But one thing to keep in mind, not all info that you find is correct-even if you get a story from a relative, or even some of the "official"  documents.

I say that it is my mother who is the genealogist but I was her research assistant for many, many years whether I wanted to be or not.

Cat

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/22/09 at 2:34 am

This site
http://www.cyndislist.com/

is my major reference for anything genealogical.

Its basically a billion or so links to anything and everything useful - all over the world.  Its well set out and userfriendly.

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/22/09 at 11:55 am

Does anyone one else keep seeing gynecologist, instead of genealogist.  Everytime at glance at the PPP board topics, I see Calling all Gynecologists.  I KNOW WHAT IT SAYS BUT MY MIND KEEPS MESSING WITH ME :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/23/09 at 11:36 am

Does anyone one else keep seeing gynecologist, instead of genealogist.  Everytime at glance at the PPP board topics, I see Calling all Gynecologists.  I KNOW WHAT IT SAYS BUT MY MIND KEEPS MESSING WITH ME :D

I'm have been seeing the exact same thing!  Phew.  I'm glad I'm not the only one, girl!  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/23/09 at 6:04 pm

I'm have been seeing the exact same thing!  Phew.  I'm glad I'm not the only one, girl!  :D
Karma to you, for not letting me be a loner on this- I thought I was crazy :D

Written By: Jessica on 03/23/09 at 8:48 pm

I swear, this is the only place on earth where we can go from talking about ancestors to talking about vagina doctors.  Awesome. 8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/24/09 at 8:41 pm

I swear, this is the only place on earth where we can go from talking about ancestors to talking about vagina doctors.  Awesome. 8)
Glad I could be of service ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...