inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Earth Hour 2009

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/09 at 7:03 am

Earth Hour 2009 is 8:30–9:30 March 28 2009. Currently, 82 countries and more than 2100 cities are 'committed to Earth Hour 2009', a huge increase from people participating in 35 countries for Earth Hour 2008. 1 billion 'votes' is the stated aim for Earth Hour 2009, in the context of the pivotal 2009 United Nations Climate Change Conference. There is however doubt over the validity of this "vote" given that no account is given to those who choose to leave their lights on to express a counter opinion. Further, as this is essentially a "publicity stunt" the possibility is that "1 billion votes" will be claimed by the PR agencies involved no matter the true outcome.

Will you be switching off your lights for an hour on that day?

Subject: Re: Earth Hour 2009

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/09 at 7:04 am

Earth Hour 2009 is 8:30–9:30 March 28 2009. Currently, 82 countries and more than 2100 cities are 'committed to Earth Hour 2009', a huge increase from people participating in 35 countries for Earth Hour 2008. 1 billion 'votes' is the stated aim for Earth Hour 2009, in the context of the pivotal 2009 United Nations Climate Change Conference. There is however doubt over the validity of this "vote" given that no account is given to those who choose to leave their lights on to express a counter opinion. Further, as this is essentially a "publicity stunt" the possibility is that "1 billion votes" will be claimed by the PR agencies involved no matter the true outcome.

Do I have to switch the computer off too?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/26/09 at 10:31 am

not really sure....we will be celebrating my mom's birthday during that time. Meh...maybe we will just celebrate with birthday candles lighting up the room! ;D

Written By: karen on 03/26/09 at 12:34 pm

We do usually do this.  I will try and remember on the day

Written By: Tam on 03/26/09 at 1:33 pm

Here is the link to the website:
http://www.voteearth2009.org/home/

We are going to do it - although I think we don't have a choice living on Post. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 03/26/09 at 4:46 pm

I think I may need my lights for that hour.

Written By: karen on 03/26/09 at 6:08 pm

I think I may need my lights for that hour.

Try and manage just with the absolutely necessary lights then.  I'm amazed at all the houses I see around here that have all their lights on - inside and out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/09 at 6:09 pm

If you go out to the pub (bar) that night you can switch the lights out on the way out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/09 at 6:09 pm

Does it include cinemas?

Written By: Frank on 03/26/09 at 11:41 pm

The NHL (National Hockey League) is participating.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/03/26/sp-nhl-earthhour.html

Written By: Tam on 03/27/09 at 5:22 am

The NHL (National Hockey League) is participating.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/03/26/sp-nhl-earthhour.html

See, that is completely awesome!
I hope I can get everyone in my family to participate! 8)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/09 at 6:16 am

It's a nice idea, but what about the power surge if everyone turns on the power at the same time. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/09 at 6:17 am

It's a nice idea, but what about the power surge if everyone turns on the power at the same time. 
...the kettle, the tv, the lights....?

Written By: Tam on 03/27/09 at 6:24 am

Would it make that big of cifference do you think? Apparently we are all to do it in our respective time zones at the said time.....

Written By: Howard on 03/27/09 at 6:44 am

Would it make that big of cifference do you think? Apparently we are all to do it in our respective time zones at the said time.....

But some people have different time zones.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/09 at 6:46 am

Try and manage just with the absolutely necessary lights then.  I'm amazed at all the houses I see around here that have all their lights on - inside and out.

I turned my bedroom light off cause there's already some sun peeking through my window.

Written By: Frank on 03/27/09 at 9:20 pm

See, that is completely awesome!
I hope I can get everyone in my family to participate! 8)

A group of our friends are getting together for a candlelight gathering for an hour.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/09 at 5:22 am

Did Earth Hour happen already?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/09 at 5:25 am

Did Earth Hour happen already?
Last year, but it all happens tonight for this year.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/09 at 5:26 am

Last year, but it all happens tonight for this year.

for only an hour.

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/09 at 7:20 pm

my lights are rarely on anyway... but no way in hell I'm giving up my TV... or my internet!

Written By: anabel on 03/28/09 at 7:37 pm

We're all stumbling through the house....can't see....
*bump*  Ouch!
Damn it, turn a light on!!
NO!
Thank goodness....the computer screen will light the way!!!

Written By: Frank on 03/29/09 at 12:49 am

We turned everything off and it was cool. Sadly, most of our neighbors had the lights on.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/09 at 5:29 am

my lights are rarely on anyway... but no way in hell I'm giving up my TV... or my internet!

TV I can live without but I'd still use my internet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/09 at 5:31 am

TV I can live without but I'd still use my internet.
...watch tv online?

Written By: Howard on 03/29/09 at 5:32 am

...watch tv online?

Yeah I can do that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/09 at 5:36 am

Yeah I can do that.
...and I have done

Written By: Howard on 03/29/09 at 5:57 am

...and I have done

You like it better than watching television?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/09 at 5:59 am

You like it better than watching television?
No the picture is to grainy.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/29/09 at 6:17 am

I watch shows online when I miss them on tv.  They aren't quite as clear, but it's ok.  There are some shows, like the Daily Show, that are on cable that I can watch.  I don't have cable.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/09 at 6:36 am

I watch shows online when I miss them on tv.  They aren't quite as clear, but it's ok.  There are some shows, like the Daily Show, that are on cable that I can watch.  I don't have cable.
For me sometimes it is just the sound of the programme I only need to hear.

Written By: anabel on 03/29/09 at 10:00 pm

So, how did it go? Did anyone else join me in this?  Have we heard any statistics of how many BILLIONS of dollars we saved by turning out the light?  Was it worth it?  We did it, not sure how much it helped.  I noticed that a few of the neighbors on my street did it too, but some still had their lights on.  My Mom is visiting and was like "Is this thing over yet?  I don't want to go t the bathroom in the dark." (that could've been messy) ::)

Written By: snozberries on 03/30/09 at 1:04 am

So, how did it go? Did anyone else join me in this?  Have we heard any statistics of how many BILLIONS of dollars we saved by turning out the light?  Was it worth it?  We did it, not sure how much it helped.  I noticed that a few of the neighbors on my street did it too, but some still had their lights on.  My Mom is visiting and was like "Is this thing over yet?  I don't want to go t the bathroom in the dark." (that could've been messy) ::)

I always go in the dark...trust me...you only miss once!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/09 at 1:25 am

For us, the computer was switched off for a total of 3½ hours, the lights were off for the hour, but the tv stayed on to provide entertainment.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/09 at 5:36 am

Some people in New York didn't participate in Earth Hour.

Written By: karen on 03/30/09 at 7:48 am

We did it.  I'm not sure if some of the neighbours did.  Dai said one house was dark all night, another definitely had lights on and one might have turned their lights off.

Elizabeth hated it and whined throughout - even though we had torches, lanterns and candles.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/09 at 8:32 am

The pub opposite me kept their lights on.

Written By: Tam on 03/30/09 at 1:04 pm

We did it.  I'm not sure if some of the neighbours did.  Dai said one house was dark all night, another definitely had lights on and one might have turned their lights off.

Elizabeth hated it and whined throughout - even though we had torches, lanterns and candles.

We did it as well.
Mind you, we weren't at home, but before we left I made sure everything was switched off, to include the computer.
We were out and about - actually, I think for the hour we were driving back form Syracuse. Worked out great for us! 8)

Written By: Howard on 03/30/09 at 3:30 pm

Sorry,I kept my lights on.  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...