inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dumb things you did and you can't say "sorry" enough.

Written By: KKay on 04/04/09 at 7:52 pm

Oh man.  We had about 10 hours of rain.  it began in the evening and then went on till morning - stopped and then began again with a crazy thunderstorm.

And I left the sunroof open on the husband's brand new SUV the whole time and found it with over 4 inches of water in the cupholders and the floor.  what a mess!!!  it was a disaster.  I tried to clean it up and I couldn't.  It's still wet.  And the new seat and floor covers arrived that afternoon by UPS- the custom made ones that were bought to prevent the very disaster I caused hours before.

I can't say "I'm sorry" enough.

Ever do anything like that?  Break something or lose something...ruin something.

Subject: Re: Dumb things you did and you can't say "sorry" enough.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/04/09 at 8:32 pm

It sounds like one of those "Want To Get Away" commercials. Seriously, that sucks and I feel for you. Is the damage
repairable? Will insurance cover it? I hope things work out.

I drove a friends minivan to Pocono Raceway, he wanted to drink, not drive, for the fall race. The attendant parked us near
the track but I saw a spot that was closer. I drove over the caution tape to reach the spot, the pole that was holding the
tape up bent a little then snapped back and tapped the windshield. It wasn't a hard tap but it was enough to crack the
windshield. Also, the high straw type grass we drove through found it's way in and all over the interior.

Written By: snozberries on 04/04/09 at 10:45 pm

when I was a kid I got out of the car to get something or move something for my mom... she didn't know I left the door open and she backed out.  The door hit the post holding up the carport hard enough to take the door off the car  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 04/04/09 at 11:52 pm

Unfortunately, I can't contribute to this thread as I have never done anything dumb in my life!  8) ....and if you believe that is even remotely plausible then...who's the dumb one? ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/04/09 at 11:54 pm

I  accidentally (of course) closed the car door on my nephew's fingers  :-[.  It was horrifying.  Luckily enough, the door was designed in a way that did not crush his little fingers, but the ride to the hospital was a torture.  When my brother in law arrived in the waiting room and asked what happened, my screaming nephew pointed at me accusingly and said "her did it!"  :(

Written By: Howard on 04/05/09 at 5:22 am

For being so clumsy when I was growing up,I broke just about everything in my house.

Written By: Brian06 on 04/06/09 at 3:22 am

when I was a kid I got out of the car to get something or move something for my mom... she didn't know I left the door open and she backed out.  The door hit the post holding up the carport hard enough to take the door off the car  ;D

OMG I did like almost the same thing to our new car when I was little, we had a pretty narrow driveway and I opened the door when my mom was pulling out and the door got yanked off.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/06/09 at 5:40 am

Was anyone hurt?

Written By: KKay on 04/06/09 at 1:02 pm

These stories are killing me.  I can't believe all the car stories!

I remember all the broken toys and items in our house that I busted as a child and hid all over the house...even buried in the yard!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/06/09 at 2:01 pm

I was a very passive-agressive kid.  I was mean to everyone including my Grandmother.  She passed away before I ever got the guts to say I was sorry.  My Father and my Uncle try and relieve my guilt by saying that somehow she knows and she's happy with how I turned out.  Somehow that doesn't take away the fact that I was so mean.

Written By: Jessica on 04/06/09 at 5:56 pm

I was a very passive-agressive kid.  I was mean to everyone including my Grandmother.  She passed away before I ever got the guts to say I was sorry.  My Father and my Uncle try and relieve my guilt by saying that somehow she knows and she's happy with how I turned out.  Somehow that doesn't take away the fact that I was so mean.

I still feel guilty about not being there when my grandma went.  I never got a chance to tell her I loved her and I was sorry for ignoring her and not visiting enough and not taking the boy to see her a lot.

I'm feeling it more today because it would have been her 81st birthday... :-\\

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/06/09 at 5:58 pm

I still feel guilty about not being there when my grandma went.  I never got a chance to tell her I loved her and I was sorry for ignoring her and not visiting enough and not taking the boy to see her a lot.

She knows,Jess.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/09 at 6:00 pm

I remember all the broken toys and items in our house that I busted as a child and hid all over the house...even buried in the yard!

broken toys? You must've been a bad girl. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/09 at 6:08 pm

I hear ya. My sister told me that she was worried about another sister. I SHOULD have gotten on the phone with her because she died only about 2 months or so after the first sister said that to me.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  Could have, should have, would have.  :-\\ :-\\ :-\\  I also understand about feeling it on birthdays.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: KKay on 04/06/09 at 8:08 pm

I feel terrible for all of you that are carrying that guilt.  I just left the window open.

I hope you are getting relief and closure.  You're my friends and I wish you well.

Written By: gibbo on 04/06/09 at 8:31 pm

When my sister was mean to me I'd stab her favourite doll or mess it up some other way. She showed it to me last Christmas and it had several knife stab marks and it's eyes were poked out, hair pulled out etc. 

But ....I'm still NOT sorry! :P ;)  It was bloody 40 years ago...get over it!!!  :-X

Written By: loki 13 on 04/06/09 at 8:47 pm

I have another that is not a car story.

When I was in my twenties I was really into the Martial Arts. My cousin was a 3rd degree Black Belt and an instructor,
I didn't take formal lessons in a school but I was over his house every Sunday learning everything he had to teach.
I was not a fan of nunchaku, I like the katana, but that's what he was teaching so I bought a pair of foam padded
nunchaku for practice. One day, while practicing in my living room, I swung the nunchaku around my waist just as my
daughter came running in from the hallway and smacked her square on the forehead. I heard the thud and saw her
go a$$hole over elbows and I was mortified.

I thank my lucky stars they were foam padded, she only had a little knot but I still couldn't apologize enough--to her,
at 4 years old, or my wife.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/07/09 at 2:45 pm

When my sister was mean to me I'd stab her favourite doll or mess it up some other way. She showed it to me last Christmas and it had several knife stab marks and it's eyes were pocked out, hair pulled out etc. 

But ....I'm still NOT sorry! :P ;)  It was bloody 40 years ago...get over it!!!  :-X

;D  I think that's funny.

My sisters are always muttering about stupid and petty things they did to each other as teenagers like wearing each others clothes and stuff, and I am ALWAYS saying "It was 20 years ago, GET OVER IT!"  (I am 8 years younger than my closest sister in age, so I was exempt from all of that.)

I did, however, used to eat their flavored chapsticks.  And I don't think they know about it to this day.  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/07/09 at 2:51 pm

Oh, ok, I have another one.

My dad oil paints.  One day when I was 5, he finished a painting, and proudly displayed it on our credenza.  (Like a china dresser.)  He had left some brushes nearby, and I decided that I would "pretend" to paint the painting.  Well, little did I know, the oil paint wasn't dry, and I smudged the paint.  Then to my horror, the painting fell behind the credenza.  For like a week, my dad looked frantically for the painting.  He couldn't find it anywhere, and he kept asking everyone where it was.  Of course I knew, but I pretended I didn't because I didn't want to get in trouble.  A while later, my mom was cleaning and found the painting and both of my parents had a good laugh and thought it was so funny that neither of them had thought to look behind credenza.  I was just happy I didn't get caught!

After typing all this out I just realized it isn't something I've ever said sorry for.  Maybe it's time to fess up...  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 04/07/09 at 3:08 pm

Unfortunately, I can't contribute to this thread as I have never done anything dumb in my life!  8) ....and if you believe that is even remotely plausible then...who's the dumb one? ;)

of course,I can't believe that for one bit. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/09 at 1:14 am

My dad oil paints.  One day when I was 5, he finished a painting, and proudly displayed it on our credenza.  (Like a china dresser.)  He had left some brushes nearby, and I decided that I would "pretend" to paint the painting.  Well, little did I know, the oil paint wasn't dry, and I smudged the paint.  Then to my horror, the painting fell behind the credenza.  For like a week, my dad looked frantically for the painting.  He couldn't find it anywhere, and he kept asking everyone where it was.  Of course I knew, but I pretended I didn't because I didn't want to get in trouble.  A while later, my mom was cleaning and found the painting and both of my parents had a good laugh and thought it was so funny that neither of them had thought to look behind credenza.  I was just happy I didn't get caught!

After typing all this out I just realized it isn't something I've ever said sorry for.  Maybe it's time to fess up...   :-\\

ha my dad had a record collection and for some reason I found it quite entertaining to take them out and sit on them and try to spin on the carpet... I ruined a ton of his albums.  :-[

Written By: gibbo on 04/08/09 at 1:45 am

After typing all this out I just realized it isn't something I've ever said sorry for.  Maybe it's time to fess up...   :-\\

So...thta pinpoints where your life went off the rails!  You were a rotten little kid!! ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/08/09 at 10:21 am

ha my dad had a record collection and for some reason I found it quite entertaining to take them out and sit on them and try to spin on the carpet... I ruined a ton of his albums.  :-
So...thta pinpoints where your life went off the rails!   You were a rotten little kid!! ;D

Takes one to know one!   :P ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/08/09 at 11:55 am

When I was a kid (about 6 or so), my sister had a little dish that had some pennies in it. I figured she wouldn't miss one or two because I wanted some candy (yes, in those days you could buy candy for a penny). Well, she did miss it because one of the pennies I took was a 1909 wheatback (which was the first year of the Lincoln pennies). She went off on me-well, as much as she could to a 6 year old. I felt so bad. But, because of that, I realized the value in coins and yes, that is what started me off on my collecting coins.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/08/09 at 12:16 pm

When I was a kid (about 6 or so), my sister had a little dish that had some pennies in it. I figured she wouldn't miss one or two because I wanted some candy (yes, in those days you could buy candy for a penny). Well, she did miss it because one of the pennies I took was a 1909 wheatback (which was the first year of the Lincoln pennies). She went off on me-well, as much as she could to a 6 year old. I felt so bad. But, because of that, I realized the value in coins and yes, that is what started me off on my collecting coins.

Cat

Oh man!  But how were you to know?  And at least something good came out of it - candy! 

Oh...and your coin collecting.  ;)

Written By: Frank on 04/08/09 at 3:49 pm

Washing the bathtub with my wife's wedding dress...oh...wait a minute...that was Homer Simpson.

Umm..when I was a kid & my dad was drunk I use to throw nerf balls into his face and he had no reaction (being drunk). I thought it was funny as a kid, but my mom told me otherwise. Now that I'm an adult...I get it.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/08/09 at 4:33 pm

ha my dad had a record collection and for some reason I found it quite entertaining to take them out and sit on them and try to spin on the carpet... I ruined a ton of his albums.  :-[

My brother and I played Frisbee with my mother's original Elvis 45's, they were not made of vinyl so needless to say there were shattered
pieces everywhere.

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/09 at 5:11 pm

My brother and I played Frisbee with my mother's original Elvis 45's, they were not made of vinyl so needless to say there were shattered
pieces everywhere.

OUCH!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/08/09 at 5:25 pm

pieces everywhere.

That was more costly than my spending the 1909 penny.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 04/08/09 at 6:33 pm

When I was a kid ...my mother gave me a beautifully illustrated large book of fairy tales that had been owned by her mother before her. These books were in very good condition before I got my hands on them.....

Well, I proceeded to read this book and they really were excellent illustrations! After reading the book I got the bright idea to place the book on the ground and then stand on my bed and throw darts into the book just as hard as I could. I'd then open the pages to check which characters I'd killed! The book was pretty much a wreck inside of the firts week of my receiving it. I didn't understand it at that time but that would have hurt Mum a lot and had was apologizing for that action for a loooonnggg time.  :-\\ :-[

Right up there with the incident where I had another bright idea to use the cigarette lighter in the car to burn 30+ holes in the leather front seat of the family car. Somehow...I thought Dad wouldn't notice it...and strangely, it was the first thing he noticed when he got into the car.  I paid dearly for that one..... and there was pain involved!!! :o ;)

Written By: KKay on 04/09/09 at 3:55 pm

that's a sin....

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/09/09 at 4:12 pm

The first day I had my driver's license and drove my dad's car alone for the first time, I pulled out from a corner too tightly and scraped up against a telephone/light pole causing a really big dent in the side door panel.  Dad was NOT happy with me as he pounded out the panel with a mallet.  (Probably was picturing my head right in the middle of where the mallet was hitting.)  :-\\

Another car story, in my parents driveway, we each have a specific place that we are supposed to park.  Mom and dad get the two slots closest to the house, my brother gets the slot at the end of the driveway and I get the one next to him.  Unfortunately, the is a really steep hill and the edge of the driveway, and also there is very little room to get around the cars when they are all parked (so if dad had to leave before I did, he's have to carefully back around the back end of my car)...to make a long story short (too late) I pull my car up over the pole that lies down at the end of the driveway (to prevent going over the hill) and dented the oil pan underneath the car, plus my car is stuck up on this telephone pole (that is lying down).  Again, dad was not a happy man.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/10/09 at 6:50 am

pieces everywhere.

did you wind up with any injuries? ???

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/09 at 10:58 pm

When I was a kid ...my mother gave me a beautifully illustrated large book of fairy tales that had been owned by her mother before her. These books were in very good condition before I got my hands on them.....

Well, I proceeded to read this book and they really were excellent illustrations! After reading the book I got the bright idea to place the book on the ground and then stand on my bed and throw darts into the book just as hard as I could. I'd then open the pages to check which characters I'd killed! The book was pretty much a wreck inside of the firts week of my receiving it. I didn't understand it at that time but that would have hurt Mum a lot and had was apologizing for that action for a loooonnggg time.  :-\\ :-[

Right up there with the incident where I had another bright idea to use the cigarette lighter in the car to burn 30+ holes in the leather front seat of the family car. Somehow...I thought Dad wouldn't notice it...and strangely, it was the first thing he noticed when he got into the car.  I paid dearly for that one..... and there was pain involved!!! :o ;)

you were a little sociopath weren't you  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 05/02/09 at 7:37 pm

you were a little sociopath weren't you  ;D

It's always good to be recoginized for ones efforts!  8)  .....and it was a double whammy (with the fairytale book) ...because when the darts missed the book they messed up the polished wood floor.  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...