inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs that make you reminisce

Written By: gibbo on 04/16/09 at 5:50 am

What songs take you to a memory as soon as you hear them...good or not so good!  Also, tell why..if you wish!

These are the songs that come to mind for me....not necessarily my favourites but I always remember a person or another time whenever they come on the radio...  These come to mind.....and there is a definite pattern for mine... ;D

1. Wasted Time - The Eagles (reminds me of a troubled evening with my first real girlfriend)
2. You Shook Me All Night Long - ACDC (this used to get me up to dance in the days when disco was ending)
3. Sad Eyes - Robert John (My 2nd girlfriend would cry whenever this played because I was leaving town soon)
4. Would I Lie To You - The Eurythmics (Marks the song I first danced with my wife..on our 1st date)
5. Look What You've Done To Me - Boz Scaggs (waltzed at our wedding to this tune)
6. High - The Lighthouse Family (played at the funeral of a close friends brother)

Subject: Re: Songs that make you reminisce

Written By: greenjello74 on 04/16/09 at 11:14 am

1. Ariel October Project (reminds me of my dead ex husband)

2. Follow you, Follow me Genesis (our song)

3. Pour some sugar on me Def Leppard (reminds me of meeting my current husband)

4. Rock your Baby George Mcray ( my first serious experience with sex)

5. Don't say you don't remember Breverly Bremers ( first time I made out with my first serious boyfriend)

6. Rikki don't lose that number  Steeley Dan  (Senior class trip)

7. You've lost that lovin feelin Righteous Brothers ( My Dad it was his favorite song)

8. Forever Autumn  Justin Hayward (My Mom cause its how I feel )

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/16/09 at 12:34 pm

So many. There are some songs that just take me back to a time & place and why I can't explain.

-Angie-The Rolling Stones. It takes me back to a place I went with an old boyfriend of mine. I remember hearing it on the radio there.
-That's the Way I Always Heard It Should Be-Carly Simon. It takes me to a trip I took with my family when I was a kid. Why? I have no idea.
-Let it Be-The Beatles. I find myself back in the first house I ever lived in. It always reminds of a dream I had at that time. I remember waking up from that dream hearing that song on the radio.
-Faithfully-Journey. Very painful for me because that was mine & my first husband's song.

Many, many more. I'll add to my list later.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/09 at 5:21 pm

Someday - Glass Tiger
At the Dentist when I was a kid, I ALWAYS heard this song on their radio

Stay With Me - Tu
A Canadian dance/pop hit from the late 80s.  I used to hear this song all the time at the local roller rink I used to frequent

I Want A New Drug - Huey Lewis and the News
My mother didn't let us listen to this song, so when it came on the tape in the car, she'd fast forward through it

Every Breath You Take - The Police
A current chart hit at the time, I'd hear this on the radio at a campground where I learned to make crafts

Helpless - Dan Hill
It came on a 1984 Polytel compilation cassette tape called 'Rock Sizzzlers' that my mom had when I was a kid.  On the cassette sleeve, the song was listed as 'Helpless (APL)' and for many many years, I would look at that and wonder what the APL was for.  It was only like 5 years ago that I discovered what it means LOL

Wave Babies - Honeymoon Suite
The video for this was filmed on the beach at Sandbanks Provincial Park in Picton, Ontario (which is about 70 km from where I live) so as a result, I often heard it played on the radio at the snack shops that were there on the campground property.  This was the reason as it was also the first ever 45 I bought

Written By: Frank on 04/17/09 at 12:17 am

Raindrops keep falling on my head - B.J. Thomas

When that song came out, one afternoon I was playing with a friend in a little plastic swimming pool on her balcony on the 4th floor. For some reason still unknown to me, I took off all her clothes and threw them off the balcony and into the street below. I was about 6 or 7 at the time.

Give me love, give me peace on earth, George Harrison

First time I ever made-out with a girl

"You're the one that I want" Travolta/Newton-John 

Broke up with same girl just after that song came out

Color my world - Chicago

Umm..lots of cool stuff happened with a girl during that one :)

Nikita - Elton John 

Heard that song just after I heard Space Shuttle blowing up in 1986

Nights on Broadway - Bee Gees

Bought the '45 of that song and on 1 day I listened to this song about 117 times in a row (several hours). Drove my parents crazy.

oh..there are so many others songs with memories.
Layla - Derek and the Dominoes...some wild fun at a party in the late 1970's

Fool in the rain: Led Zeppelin

My friend broke up with his girlfriend during a party (she dumped him). It was raining outside, and he went outside in the middle of the sidewalk at about 1AM and started singing this song...getting soaked while doing so. Ah, it was good therapy for him at the time. Oddly enough tho this happened almost 30 years ago and he's never dated anyone else since..

Written By: mooster on 04/19/09 at 8:06 am

Almost any song from 1978 & 79  ;)

Written By: Tia on 04/19/09 at 10:48 am

i've got this in my head at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwugjyeSKx4

it's got this sadness that time doesn't abate. :(

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/19/09 at 7:32 pm

U2 - the entire "The Joshua Tree" album. My 3rd grade year really sucked. I used to put this album on my old turntable and locked the door of my bedroom. I don't know why, I just liked listening to the album.

Paula Abdul - "Knocked Out" and "Straight Up" - takes me back to 5th grade and happier times.

Hi-Five - I Like the Way (The Kissing Game) - This song was popular when I began 7th grade and it reminds me of those times which turned out to be fun.

FireHouse - Love of a Lifetime - reminds me of a guy I had a mad crush on in the 8th grade.

Anything by Ace of Base and All 4 One - takes me back to one of the best times in my high school years, the 2nd half of 10th grade. I had more friends than I ever did in my life and we did fun things like go play miniature golf and riding go-carts on weekends, things like that.

Spacehog - In the Meantime - I was a senior in high school and was listening to alt-rock radio more than I ever did. This particular song was played quite frequently and I still love it today.

Written By: Frank on 04/19/09 at 8:03 pm

Almost any song from 1978 & 79  ;)

Those were 2 great years for songs.

Written By: Michael C. on 04/19/09 at 9:34 pm

Wow.......Most oldies I hear remind Me of where I heard it,when I heard it,Who I was with..........
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - always reminds Me of My Daughter. I had to sing it to Her, when She was a Baby, to get Her to take Her nap..............

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/09 at 9:39 pm

I wonder if 'Reminiscing' by Little River Band makes anyone reminisce?

Written By: Michael C. on 04/19/09 at 9:53 pm

Yes they were..................lots of incredible memories from those couple of years.......

Those were 2 great years for songs.

Written By: Davester on 04/19/09 at 10:24 pm

Best of Bread in it's entirety - growing-up in the 70s.  I positively ache when I listen to this album...

"A Little in Love" and "Dreaming" by Cliff Richard - sixth grade sharing a bedroom with my two cousins, both girls, and sleeping on the floor...

"More than I Can Say" by Leo Sayer - sixth grade, my first girlfriend Kelly, kissing in the back of the bus on the way home from away games...

"Hungry Heart" by the Boss - also sixth grade, reminds me of washing the dishes (one of my chores) after supper while listening to the radio...

"Sweetheart" by Franke & the Knockouts - hot summer of 1981, moving into a broken down shack of a house, sitting in the living room with my dad, watching Green Acres reruns and drinking iced tea...

"Who's Crying Now" by Journey and "Slow Hand" by Pointer Sisters - seventh grade, sitting on the school bus...

"Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey - flaking out at my usual haunt, Rocky's diner.  Listening to the jukebox and playing video games before school.  Listening to the jukebox and playing video games after school...

"Come On Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners - reminds me of my 8th grade squeeze, Robin...

"Old Flame" by Alabama - in a car with 4 or 5 of my friends going to a movie.  We all spontaneously start singing aloud to this song.  It was kind of weird and really cool...

"Overkill" and "It's A Mistake" by Men at Work - eighth grade school year drawing to a close.  Class trip to Six Flags.  Graduation...

"Say it Isn't So" by Hall & Oates, "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes and "One Thing Leads to Another" by the Fixx - awkward first year of high school.  Makes me think of rain...

I'll leave it here...

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/19/09 at 10:50 pm

This song was released the year I was born.  :) I love it!

Written By: Howard on 04/20/09 at 6:37 am

The song takes me back to a time when life was good.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...