inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is INTHE00S only Anglosphere friendly?

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/17/09 at 7:02 pm

As you all know i'm from Brazil,Henk is from The Netherlands and Seamermar is from Spain.

So in a message board this big there are only 3 regular members from non-english speaking countries.

How come?

Subject: Re: Is INTHE00S only Anglosphere friendly?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/17/09 at 7:27 pm

My opinion would be that most people from countries that English is spoken in (but is not the 'native' language spoken (if you will) tend to stick to sites that are written exclusively in their language of origin.

I have a friend, Lida, from the Netherlands, that speaks English very well, and we became friends over the years on various message boards that we both frequent.  She mostly hangs out on boards where Dutch (I think that's the right language) is spoken now.  I miss talking to her. 

Although even that theory could be negated by saying that even though English is the native language of England and Australia, we only have a small representation of those countries as active members (as compared to the American and Canadian posters here).

Written By: whistledog on 04/17/09 at 8:16 pm

English is arguably the most spoken language in the world, and messageboards draw in a majority of their members from English speaking countries because everyone would generally be on the same page.

Although even that theory could be negated by saying that even though English is the native language of England and Australia, we only have a small representation of those countries as active members (as compared to the American and Canadian posters here).

If I counted correctly, there are more regular long time and /or regular UK members here than Canadians.  Some have not posted in a while, but they are still a big part of the inthe00s family.  Lemme see if I can do this without forgetting anyone ...

UK
Paul
maddog
Philip Eno
karen
Gis
Dak

Bobby (still a member, but he's on hiatus)

Canada
Me
Jamie McBain
Frank
Satish
Tam

ktelqueen (I still have high hopes that one day she will return to us)

Written By: Frank on 04/18/09 at 1:29 am

English is arguably the most spoken language in the world, and messageboards draw in a majority of their members from English speaking countries because everyone would generally be on the same page.

If I counted correctly, there are more regular long time and /or regular UK members here than Canadians.  Some have not posted in a while, but they are still a big part of the inthe00s family.  Lemme see if I can do this without forgetting anyone ...

UK
Paul
maddog
Philip Eno
karen
Gis
Dak

Canada
Me
Jamie McBain
Frank
Satish
Tam

Didn't know we had this many from Canada.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/09 at 6:28 am

UK
Paul
maddog
Philip Eno
karen
Gis
Dak

Canada
Me
Jamie McBain
Frank
Satish
Tam

And don't forget me The United States. ;)

Written By: Jessica on 04/18/09 at 11:48 am

You're the United States?  Does that mean I'm living on your ass? :o

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/18/09 at 12:17 pm

You're the United States?  Does that mean I'm living on your ass? :o
Yah the Mountain you think you are on there in Denver - is really a big red irritated pimple :D :D :D

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/09 at 3:20 pm

You're excluded Howard.  There are more people here from The States than anywhere, so we were talking about those members who are not

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/09 at 4:29 pm

UK
Paul
maddog
Philip Eno
karen
Gis
Dak

Canada
Me
Jamie McBain
Frank
Satish
Tam

You forgot mention about people from Australia & New Zealand. 

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/09 at 6:50 pm

You forgot mention about people from Australia & New Zealand. 

Cat

Oops.  I did :-[   I do believe we have 4 Australians and 1 NZ (forgive me if I forgot anyone)

Luke (NZ)
Gibbo (Aus)
FussBudgetVanPelt (Aus)
Mooster (Aus)
jaytee (Aus)

There was one member from Australia awhile ago who used to frequent the chat, and for those of you who remember, I bet you'd like to forget :o

Written By: Dagwood on 04/18/09 at 7:13 pm

UK
Paul
maddog
Philip Eno
karen
Gis
Dak

Canada
Me
Jamie McBain
Frank
Satish
Tam

I thought Tam was in New York and before that, Texas.  Am I missing something?

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/09 at 8:16 pm

I thought Tam was in New York and before that, Texas.  Am I missing something?

She is what is called an expatriate:

"a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence"

If she has American citizenship, then she would be a dual citizen, unless she gives up her Canadian Citizenship (which would be a fool thing to do unless she was moving to a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship)

Written By: Dagwood on 04/18/09 at 8:45 pm

See, I was missing something.  I did not know she was Canadian.  Thanks for the info. :)

Written By: Davester on 04/18/09 at 11:14 pm

Powerslave (AUS) though he's rarely active on the boards these days...

Written By: mooster on 04/19/09 at 8:03 am

Oops.  I did :-[   I do believe we have 4 Australians and 1 NZ (forgive me if I forgot anyone)

Luke (NZ)
Gibbo (Aus)
FussBudgetVanPelt (Aus)
Mooster (Aus)
jaytee (Aus)

+ BrianMannixGirl & Trimac20

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/09 at 9:28 am

Powerslave (AUS) though he's rarely active on the boards these days...

+ BrianMannixGirl & Trimac20

DOH!  I had a feeling I was forgetting some :-[  I knew about Trimac, but I left him off intentionally cause he's an outkast lol

Written By: loki 13 on 04/19/09 at 10:34 am

We had a couple of Russian members a few years ago, Chatterbox from Belarus I think, was 13 when she joined us and another guy
whose screen name I can't remember. They were on frequently for about two or three weeks then just disappeared.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/09 at 10:48 am

We had a couple of Russian members a few years ago, Chatterbox from Belarus I think, was 13 when she joined us and another guy
whose screen name I can't remember. They were on frequently for about two or three weeks then just disappeared.

I remember chatterbox

Written By: Midas on 04/19/09 at 5:48 pm

UK
Paul
maddog
Philip Eno
karen
Gis
Dak

They may not be regular, but you forgot some peoples

Gabble Ratchet 8)
AngeliK
Criz

Ummm I think most think you're from another planet. :D

Written By: Red Ant on 04/19/09 at 5:49 pm

UK:

Phil Alexander
Kristof Robertson
Jason

Sweden:

Peter Andersson

Australia:

Luke Brattoni
Conqueror of Parodies
Stu McArthur

Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 04/19/09 at 5:52 pm

Btw, there's few or no members from Asia that are members long - most of them spam the boards. Ditto Russia, Netherlands, Germany, Qatar, etc. nsr is the only one I can think of from Asia who was legit in the time I was a mod, but he only plays the arcade here.

Also, some countries probably block this board, so even if there were interested people, they couldn't visit/join here.

Ant

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/19/09 at 6:05 pm

I know that English is pretty much the international language right now, but there are a lot of people who still don't speak it. There are others who struggle with it. And this is an English speaking board. Why would people want to go to a place if they don't understand what is being talked about? When we do have people from other places, I think we all have tried to welcome them. I'm sure Dizzy, Henk, & Paco can contest to that.

Also, I remember there was a woman from Spain a long time ago. I can't remember her name and we also had a guy from France. Again, I can't remember the name.

Cat

Written By: Tam on 04/19/09 at 8:31 pm

She is what is called an expatriate:

"a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence"

If she has American citizenship, then she would be a dual citizen, unless she gives up her Canadian Citizenship (which would be a fool thing to do unless she was moving to a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship)

And I would definitely never give up my Canadian Citizenship! I am Native Indian and giving up my Citizenship would include giving that up. :o
Forget about it! ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/20/09 at 6:41 am

Ummm I think most think you're from another planet.

I'm from Uranus. ;D

Written By: Tam on 04/20/09 at 9:50 am

As you all know i'm from Brazil,Henk is from The Netherlands and Seamermar is from Spain.

So in a message board this big there are only 3 regular members from non-english speaking countries.

How come?

I think what we have to remember is that we are only one message board. There are thousands out there, and no doubt quite a few that are exactly like ours. (Although not near as good. ;) ) With so many places for people to go on the WWW, we can't expect everyone to populate our little corner. As well, people aren't necessarily as interested in the retro things like we are. I am a member on at least 3 other message boards, however, I come here because this is the one that interests me the most. Could be how it is with everyone else in the world. They go to the ones that they are interested in....

Just a theory.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/09 at 9:59 am

UK
Paul
maddog
Philip Eno
karen
Gis
Dak

Canada
Me
Jamie McBain
Frank
Satish
Tam

You will find that karen is your side of the 'Big Pond" now.

Another UK member:

StompGal

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/20/09 at 1:30 pm

I know that English is pretty much the international language right now, but there are a lot of people who still don't speak it. There are others who struggle with it. And this is an English speaking board. Why would people want to go to a place if they don't understand what is being talked about? When we do have people from other places, I think we all have tried to welcome them. I'm sure Dizzy, Henk, & Paco can contest to that.

Also, I remember there was a woman from Spain a long time ago. I can't remember her name and we also had a guy from France. Again, I can't remember the name.

Cat

No i don't think that is. A big part of the internet users understand and can type in english, you go to various message boards and you see people from all over the world. Even places that seem only marketed for americans have more world traffic than inthe00s.

I think what we have to remember is that we are only one message board. There are thousands out there, and no doubt quite a few that are exactly like ours. (Although not near as good. ;) ) With so many places for people to go on the WWW, we can't expect everyone to populate our little corner. As well, people aren't necessarily as interested in the retro things like we are. I am a member on at least 3 other message boards, however, I come here because this is the one that interests me the most. Could be how it is with everyone else in the world. They go to the ones that they are interested in....

Just a theory.

You are right,were just another fish in the sea. But about the retro nostalgia i assure you the rest of the world is more into it than the US,some have never left :D

Written By: Henk on 04/20/09 at 1:52 pm

Btw, there's few or no members from Asia that are members long - most of them spam the boards.

I remember one Japanese lady, a few years ago. Don't remember her name, but she posted an outdoor pic of her and a friend in snowy conditions.

Ditto Russia, Netherlands, Germany, Qatar, etc.

Oh, so you're the one chasing my friends away. ;)

I think we still have one other member from The Netherlands, although she hasn't posted in ages (and she never was a regular, as far as I know).

nsr is the only one I can think of from Asia who was legit in the time I was a mod, but he only plays the arcade here.

Indeed he is... >:(

;)

Also, some countries probably block this board, so even if there were interested people, they couldn't visit/join here.

Ant

Why would anybody want to block this board...? ??? Don't make sense to me.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/22/09 at 4:44 pm

How come?

Probably the same reason why I'm not on any Chinese message boards.

I mean, I have nothing against Chinese people, but if someone said this to me:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/dw/translations/chinese(simplified)2.jpg

I'd have no idea if they just told me to have a nice day or to go jump in the lake.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/22/09 at 4:53 pm

Probably the same reason why I'm not on any Chinese message boards.

I mean, I have nothing against Chinese people, but if someone said this to me:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/dw/translations/chinese(simplified)2.jpg

I'd have no idea if they just told me to have a nice day or to go jump in the lake.  ;D

There needs to be a translator.

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/09 at 6:30 pm

Jason Statham as "The Translator"

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/09 at 2:57 am

我不能把它要么!

Written By: Howard on 04/23/09 at 6:37 am

Jason Statham as "The Translator"

Someone that can translate chinese/japanese to English.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/09 at 7:52 am

Someone that can translate chinese/japanese to English.
You already have a translator if you use Google.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/09 at 10:01 am

我不能把它要么!

That's easy for YOU to say.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/09 at 10:23 am

Cat
这肯定是!

Written By: Henk on 04/23/09 at 2:00 pm

Cat

In fact...No it isn't!  ;D

Written By: Frank on 04/23/09 at 2:41 pm

If there is more Chinese on this board, my wife may be tempted to post...maybe...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/09 at 2:43 pm

If there is more Chinese on this board, my wife may be tempted to post...maybe...
中国是你的妻子?

Written By: Howard on 04/23/09 at 2:47 pm

Hey The more the merrier.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/09 at 2:48 pm

Hey The more the merrier.  :)
是的,事实上,我们需要更多的中国成员。

Written By: Howard on 04/23/09 at 2:49 pm

是的,事实上,我们需要更多的中国成员。

I don't understand what you just said.  ???

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/09 at 5:46 pm

I don't understand what you just said.  ???

Come on howard, it's as easy as 成-员-。

Written By: Frank on 04/24/09 at 1:03 am

中国是你的妻子?

Yes, my wife is Chinese (however the translation leaves a lot to be desired, she says. It actually says "Your wife is China" or something like that)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/09 at 1:08 am

Yes, my wife is Chinese (however the translation leaves a lot to be desired, she says. It actually says "Your wife is China" or something like that)
It is all down to the Google Translator, but somehow the message did transfer over.

Written By: Frank on 04/24/09 at 1:13 am

It is all down to the Google Translator, but somehow the message did transfer over.

I've used babelfish translator, and wife says that Chinese isn't translated accurately on a regular basis, although the meaning of the message can be understood.
It does a much better job going from English to French or English to Italian.
I know that 中 is the character for "China"

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/09 at 1:20 am

I've used babelfish translator, and wife says that Chinese isn't translated accurately on a regular basis, although the meaning of the message can be understood.
It does a much better job going from English to French or English to Italian.
I know that 中 is the character for "China"
On an old messageboard we used to play a guessing game (should introduced here) of translating well known lyrics to songs and back to English.

We have something in common, my wife is from the Philippines, hence my screen name, and my true name is Philip.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/09 at 7:02 am

Come on howard, it's as easy as 成-员-。

Alright that's enough,I'm confused now.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/09 at 7:07 am

Alright that's enough,I'm confused now.  ;D
让您的成员加入了!

Written By: Howard on 04/24/09 at 7:29 am

让您的成员加入了!

what does that translate into?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/09 at 7:32 am

what does that translate into?
Look it up on Google Translator

Written By: Howard on 04/24/09 at 7:27 pm

when I get to it.

Written By: whistledog on 04/24/09 at 10:52 pm

when I get to it.

When will you get to it?

Written By: Step-chan on 04/24/09 at 11:18 pm

让您的成员加入了!

My Internet explorer isn't a very good one, it always shows the foreign words(of different characters/lettering) as squares.

Written By: Frank on 04/25/09 at 1:21 am

My Internet explorer isn't a very good one, it always shows the foreign words(of different characters/lettering) as squares.

They are Chinese characters.
Don't worry...you didn't miss anything important

Written By: Frank on 04/25/09 at 1:28 am

This site below is a good one for Chinese/English translation

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

Written By: Howard on 04/25/09 at 6:36 am

When will you get to it?

現在我已經準備好了!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/09 at 6:39 am

現在我已經準備好了!

来吧火灾了!

Written By: Howard on 04/25/09 at 6:39 am

来吧火灾了!

whatever you say.  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/26/09 at 2:59 pm

I don't know how it is in other countries, but maybe it's mainly a North American thing to reminisce about past decades and spend time messaging all about the '80s, for example.

I have no evidence for this, just an idea.

Written By: seamermar on 05/14/09 at 5:56 pm

Yes Dizzy just as your signature say :  One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes. So I could see this thread although it has been a bit later. Sorry  ::)

I'm gonna answer with some lyrics' life slices.Remember  that  I am in here just for the songs, the fun, and the parodies.  :D ;)

My name is Paco I live in the second world I live up-to-date thaks to you. Yes I think you've seen me before. If there's something wrong in my posts, some kind of trouble or mistakes, you just say to me what or why, but don't smite me. If you do so, I'm gonna cry.  :\'(

There's so many different worlds so many different suns, and we have just one world but we live in different ones.
Now the sun's gone to hell and the moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell every man has to die but it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm We're fools to make fun  on our brothers in gag.

Now I know I can't loose as long as you follow.  I'm gonna sin, I'm gonna bet, deal, or borrow as long as you mellow.

Therefore I'm so glad to feel so many of you lovely people here along my  nights, and I would especially like to welcome all the penguin-mates who has chosen me as a buddy. I do sincerely hope you'll all enjoy my jokes, and please remember people, that no matter who you are (cat, ladybug, whistle or dog ), and what you do to live, to thrive and survive from the cold white north through the boiling Midas' dessert, to the beach of Malibu,  and no matter where planet you come from (Howard).You know, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me them, everybody cuz everybody needs somebody to love.     
I’m a person, not just a statistic so I didn't try to understand it I just read, wrote, and grabbed it. It will loom that we'll be living high and wide.

I agree you've got to get up every morning with a smile in your face and show the world all the love in your heart. Then I expect people gonna treat you better.

So close, no matter how far couldn't be much more from the heart. Forever trusting who we are, and nothing else matters.

Smiling faces as you wait to talk. But once you get there every one gives you a smite and you're smitten now Oh, oh, you're smitten now
A vacation in a foreign land angel Tam does the best she can you'll be again smitten then
Oh, oh, you'll be again smitten then
Night is falling and I just can't sleep. Is this illusion or reality,  you're smitten now.

I have often told you stories about the way I lived the life of a drifter,  waiting for the day   When I'd take my tug and sing these songs, and may be I would say come play with me and show me and I would surely stay
   But I feel I'm growing older and the songs that I have sung echo in the distance like the sound of a windmill going round. Guess I'll always be a sailor with fortune.
  Many times I've been a traveller I looked for something new in days of old when nights were cold I wandered without all of you.

I want to live, I want to give I've been a miner for a heart of gold. It's these emotions I ever feel that keep me searching for a heart of gold  and I'm getting old. I've been to Netherlands I've been to Brisbane I crossed the oceans for a heart of gold.
I've been in my mind, it's such a fine line that keeps me searching for a heart of gold and I'm getting old.

Oh I love to climb a mountain and reach the highest peak But it doesn’t thrill me half as much
as posting here and gee!!

Well, if I once travel to the north country fair, where the winds hit heavy on the borderline, I'll remember of one who lives there. Who loves whistledogs Oh my!

I just know you don't mind  something fine made of silver or of golden, either from the mountains of Madrid or from the coast of Valencia.
So I take heed, take heed of the western wind, Take heed of the stormy weather.
And yes, there's something I can send back to you, Spanish bubbles from my Spanish shelter.

Like a bird without wings that longs to be flying. Like a motherless child left lonely and crying. Like a song without words, Like a world without music, I wouldn't know what to do I'd be lost without all of you watchin' over me.

So I don't be afraid in the dark and cold cause the pals' posts will remain they all will remain. In my thoughts and in my dreams you're always in my mind.

That's how I got to The decades. If you love somebody or something enough you follow them wherever they go.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.

thanks a lot

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/09 at 11:08 am

is that the girl who had the pic of embryos in her sig and we all thought she was pregnant but it was her mom who was pregnant? I wonder what happened to her.

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/09 at 11:09 am

UK
Paul
maddog
Philip Eno
karen
Gis
Dak

don't know if anyone caught this because I don't feel like reading all the posts now but you seem to have left Bobo and Stompgal off this list.

Check for new replies or respond here...