inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Laughing at Other People's Misfortunes?

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/09 at 7:00 pm

Have you ever been guilty of this?

I did this just the other day:  A local department store here is closing it's doors after 50 years and they are having major sales on everything that's left.  So I was in the store and I heard a commotion, what was a girl kicking, screaming and pleading.  She was pretty much making a spectacle of herself infront of everyone as store personnel dragged her into the store and towards to elevators up to the offices.  As I walked past, I looked at her and just shook my head, and laughed at her as she stared right at me.

It doesn't pay to steal :P

Subject: Re: Laughing at Other People's Misfortunes?

Written By: loki 13 on 06/16/09 at 7:36 pm

I think schadenfreude is just human nature. We are all guilty of it, I know I am, but only to those who deserve it.  ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/16/09 at 7:39 pm

I think schadenfreude is just human nature. We are all guilty of it, I know I am, but only to those who deserve it.  ;)

True however sometimes it's pretty unacceptable.  Like laughing at someone who is wheelchair bound trying to get through a door, stuff like that.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/16/09 at 10:41 pm

I don't view her having gotten caught as a misfortune; it's justice. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/16/09 at 11:26 pm

I did this just the other day:  A local department store here is closing it's doors after 50 years and they are having major sales on everything that's left.  So I was in the store and I heard a commotion, what was a girl kicking, screaming and pleading.  She was pretty much making a spectacle of herself infront of everyone as store personnel dragged her into the store and towards to elevators up to the offices.  As I walked past, I looked at her and just shook my head, and laughed at her as she stared right at me.

It doesn't pay to steal :P

that's pretty funny! ;D Ya..I mean, she got herself into that..it was her own fault...so I wouldn't feel bad laughing at something like that.

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/09 at 11:49 pm

that's pretty funny! ;D Ya..I mean, she got herself into that..it was her own fault...so I wouldn't feel bad laughing at something like that.

The best part was hearing her try to squirm out of getting caught.  She kept screaming how she is afraid of elevators and how she did nothing wrong.  Stuff like that I can totally laugh at cause it falls into the category of stupid people doing stupid things ;D

Sometimes laughing at people's misfortunes can backfire.  One day when I was in highschool, as I was walking home, a school bus passed and I seen this muscle bound "moose" looking guy sitting at the back accidentally bang his head on the window.  He looks in my direction just as I am laughing and pointing at him, and just as I flipped the bird, the lights came on and the bus stopped.  Yeah, it was his stop and as he raced off the bus, he chased me like mad, so I dove into someone's backyard and almost got bit by a dog.  What makes it even funnier was the house was on the paper route I had at the time and I used to tease that dog all the time, y'know, lunge at it and hiss just to get it all riled up.  Dogs don't forget stuff like that ;D

Written By: nally on 06/17/09 at 12:07 am

I have to admit that I may have been guilty of it at one time or another. And yes, this is definitely what is known by the Germans as schadenfreude, a term that I first heard a few years ago when watching a rerun episode of The Simpsons. Homer was wishing for his next door neighbor, Ned Flanders, to go out of business, and Lisa brought the term to his attention.

Written By: anabel on 06/17/09 at 4:57 am

When people bring it on themselves, like the story above, I admit I would have laughed too.

It's not very kind, I  know, and sometimes I feel bad about it, but I have laughed at people's misfortunes when it's not life threatening, of course.  I laughed at LeBron James for not advancing to the NBA Finals when he was such an arrogant jerk-all it got me was my team beat in the Finals.  If someone is a jerk at work I might laugh if they get into trouble. Usually it's little things, like "just desserts" that I laugh at, but Karma (the other kind) usually comes back and bites me for it....

Written By: Howard on 06/17/09 at 5:41 am

or when it rains on my day off from Pathmark and the others wind up getting soaken wet.

Written By: Gis on 06/17/09 at 6:10 am

All the time, I justify it by saying I laugh at myself when I do something stupid! 

We had this conversation in the Hard Rock Cafe in Philly where I wept with laughter trying to tell my two favourite stories.  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/17/09 at 9:45 am

I've said it a million times - nothing makes me laugh harder than if someone falls down.  Or bumps their head.  It just kills me.  Obviously I don't think it's funny if someone gets seriously injured, or something like that.  And I am certainly not malicious about it.  I think that falling down is the great equalizer.  No matter who you are, where you're from, or what you do, chances are you've landed on your butt or tripped up the stairs at one time or another.  I'm pretty clumsy, and can absolutely laugh at myself, so I fully expect others to laugh at me when I do it too. 

All the time, I justify it by saying I laugh at myself when I do something stupid! 

We had this conversation in the Hard Rock Cafe in Philly where I wept with laughter trying to tell my two favourite stories.  ;D

Ahhh...good times, good times...

Written By: Midas on 06/25/09 at 10:05 am

I've said it a million times - nothing makes me laugh harder than if someone falls down. 

Me too!  Sometimes I think it's a nervous reaction.  It's funny; like I don't laugh as much when it's a family member, but out in public seeing a total stranger fall is funny.  :D

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/09 at 6:08 pm

The best part about someone falling isn't the actual fall, but ...

One summer I seen this guy in a business suit come out of Tim Hortons.  He had an Iced Capp in his hand as he was heading to his car.  Suddenly, he trips over one of those cement stumps at the front of parking spaces, falls down and his drink spills ALL over him.  I don't have much of an eye for fashion, but that looked like a really expensive suit ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/25/09 at 7:09 pm

Me too!  Sometimes I think it's a nervous reaction.  It's funny; like I don't laugh as much when it's a family member, but out in public seeing a total stranger fall is funny.  :D

I do that too sometimes with strangers on the street.

Written By: Midas on 06/26/09 at 12:26 am

I do that too sometimes with strangers on the street.

I remember this one time at band camp the mall at the Mrs. Field's counter - some little kid was trying to climb up the wall of the counter and totally biffed it.  I had to turn around and walk away.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/26/09 at 6:42 am

I remember this one time at band camp the mall at the Mrs. Field's counter - some little kid was trying to climb up the wall of the counter and totally biffed it.  I had to turn around and walk away.  ;D

What had happened after?  ???

Written By: Midas on 06/26/09 at 9:10 am

What had happened after?  ???

I dunno; I turned around and snickered to the car and then bust out laughing all the way back to school.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/09 at 10:34 am

Once when driving down the road I saw an old man on one of the scooters and he seemed to have gotten himself trapped in a corner by a brick wall... I didn't want to but I couldn't help but laugh a little bit

Written By: Midas on 07/13/09 at 2:10 pm

Once when driving down the road I saw an old man on one of the scooters and he seemed to have gotten himself trapped in a corner by a brick wall... I didn't want to but I couldn't help but laugh a little bit

One one of these?

http://www.comfortchannel.com/images/midi3_hero.jpg

My brother and I call them skiddly-do's. :D

Here's a pimped out one:

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/content/newsimages/d5836.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/13/09 at 4:27 pm

One one of these?

http://www.comfortchannel.com/images/midi3_hero.jpg

My brother and I call them skiddly-do's. :D

Here's a pimped out one:

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/content/newsimages/d5836.jpg

Man,that's a rad bike,wish I had one of those.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/15/09 at 11:29 pm

Nope.  I've never been guilty of it, but I sure am proud of it. 

Schadenfreude ist die schoenste Freude  ("Joy in the misfortune of others is the most beautiful joy")

But then, I use Failblog as my homepage, and I yell "PWN3D" or "FAIL" at the moment of impact in everything from Extreme Sports Bloopers to World's Wildest Police Chases.  I've muttered "Go Darwin!" (and "Better luck next time, Chuck") while watching a guy drive around a flashing railroad crossing gate, even though he made it with ten seconds to spare.  Fist woulda been in the air with glee at the moment of impact, even if the fist was reaching for cellphone with the intent of dialing 911 and the brain was already reminding itself of where the first-aid kit was in the trunk.

It's all a variation on the pratfall, and the reason why I love The Three Stooges.

I delight in schadenfreude because I need not ask for whom the banana peel waits.  It waits for all of us.  And yes, it waits for me.  If I die doing something stupid, I'd expect nothing less than laughter - and if I was doing something really stupid, I'd be disappointed if people didn't laugh.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m250/plastych/god.jpg

SCHADENFREUDE:
Because Depeche Mode was right all along.

Written By: Jessica on 07/16/09 at 10:15 am

SCHADENFREUDE:
Because Depeche Mode was right all along.

:D

Written By: Midas on 07/30/09 at 10:23 am

Man,that's a rad bike,wish I had one of those.

Howard on a skiddly-do!

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 07/30/09 at 11:43 am

Ok so i have done this a lot.  ;D But the other day the shoe was on the other foot. Me and Julz,(Miss Demento) were walking through A.C Moore. She needed felt, so she could make hats. While walking down the alise. I suddenly turned around to talk to Julz, She was singing and in her own little world, Well her hands are right at my waist level. Well im sure you can connect the dots. Yea she laughed really hard. I'm also sure the little kid behind her did as well. ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/30/09 at 5:36 pm

Howard on a skiddly-do!

I don't own a skiddly do.

Check for new replies or respond here...