inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Record crowd for Solstice sunrise

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/09 at 12:58 am

From BBC News Online

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45951000/jpg/_45951714_summer_solstice_getty_203x152.jpg

A record crowd of about 36,500 revellers has welcomed the dawn of the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge.

The number of people attending the event caused roads in the area to become gridlocked in the hours leading up to sunrise at 0458 BST.

Druid ceremonies took place alongside music and Morris dancing, however overcast skies obscured the sun.

Police praised the crowd and said there had been only 25 arrests for minor disorder and drug offences.

Sam Edwards, from Wiltshire police, said: "We are very pleased everything went to plan.

"The atmosphere has been very good, especially around the stones.

"Most people have been very co-operative with us and very understanding of the reasons for our presence.

The event to mark the dawn of the longest day in the Northern Hemisphere has grown in popularity since a four-mile exclusion zone around the site was lifted nine years ago.

English Heritage, which manages the ancient monument, said the car park was full with 6,500 cars two hours before sunrise.

Meanwhile the main route into Stonehenge, the A303, was closed due to volumes of traffic.

Peter Carson, head of Stonehenge, said: "We were expecting it to be busy this year, but we had ensured that it has been a peaceful and enjoyable solstice.

"There has been a great atmosphere and where else would you want to be on midsummer's day?"

Police drafted in extra officers and said there would be a zero tolerance approach to drugs and drunkenness, with an alcohol limit of four cans of beer or a bottle of wine per person imposed by English Heritage.

'Jovial mood'

Druid King Arthur Pendragon told the BBC shortly before sunrise: "It's a very nice atmosphere and everything's fine at the moment.

"There have been more police present this year, more security, but everything's passed off very jovially and everyone's in a good mood.

"And the police for the most part are wishing people a happy Solstice and so are the security guards."

English Heritage issued an advisory note to visitors which warned: "The police will be on site during the access period and will take immediate action against anyone flouting the law.

"Summer Solstice is not a good time to experiment with drugs - the crowd, the noise and the sheer size of the place are likely to make any bad reaction much, much worse."

Meanwhile, a limit of 200 tents was set at a field near the Avebury Ring after residents complained about the number of visitors to that site in 2008.

Subject: Re: Record crowd for Solstice sunrise

Written By: danootaandme on 06/21/09 at 7:39 am

Wayback I visited Stonehenge when they still let you walk up to the stones and touch them and walk around them.  I hear that now you can only see them at a distance.  That is sad, but probably necessary as people would probably chip away at them and sell the chips on Ebay.

Subject: Re: Record crowd for Solstice sunrise

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/09 at 7:53 am

Wayback I visited Stonehenge when they still let you walk up to the stones and touch them and walk around them.  I hear that now you can only see them at a distance.  That is sad, but probably necessary as people would probably chip away at them and sell the chips on Ebay.
That is the case, it is viewing only now. I can remember lying down on one of the fallen stones.

Check for new replies or respond here...