inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lighted-Sign Number "Font"

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/23/09 at 7:49 pm

I'm thinking of those lighted signs that showed numbers on game shows during the 70's & 80's. The numbers sometimes appeared superimposed on the bottom of the screen to show a champion's total, but this was also used on other things. I think this was the same kind of numbering used on earlier time-&-temperature signs outside of banks.
Anyway, does anyone know if this is available as a "font" to download anywhere?

Subject: Re: Lighted-Sign Number "Font"

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/23/09 at 11:16 pm

You're looking for a dot-matrix font, and if you're looking for the 70s/80s, you're probably looking at a 5x7 (5 pixels across, 7 pixels vertically) font.

How's this?

The font linked isn't entirely correct ("Y" and "J" are obviously wrong, probably for copyright reasons), but it's a good starting point.

If you're looking for the equivalents for 8-bit gaming and computing platforms, there are similar fonts available for Apple, C64, Nintendo, Atari 400/800, and Atari arcade games. 

Written By: nally on 06/24/09 at 10:22 pm

You're looking for a dot-matrix font, and if you're looking for the 70s/80s, you're probably looking at a 5x7 (5 pixels across, 7 pixels vertically) font.

How's this?

The font linked isn't entirely correct ("Y" and "J" are obviously wrong, probably for copyright reasons), but it's a good starting point.

If you're looking for the equivalents for 8-bit gaming and computing platforms, there are similar fonts available for Apple, C64, Nintendo, Atari 400/800, and Atari arcade games. 

Yeah, I see those all the time. Depending on what systems are used, the numbers and letters appear slightly differently.

For example, sometimes the 2 appears like this:

•••
•  •
    •
  •
  •

•••••

And sometimes it appears this way:

•••
•  •
    •
•••

•••••

And the zero sometimes appears with or without a slash in the middle, as to distinguish it from the capital O.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/25/09 at 12:16 pm

How's this?

That's the closest I've seen so far. Thanks! You do have to type a capital O to get it looking like the 0 on game shows.

Written By: nally on 06/25/09 at 12:29 pm

That's the closest I've seen so far. Thanks! You do have to type a capital O to get it looking like the 0 on game shows.

that's probably because they don't like the slash thingy inside the zero.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/25/09 at 6:32 pm

that's probably because they don't like the slash thingy inside the zero.

Actually, the 0 in that font doesn't have a slash, but is thinner than its O.

Written By: nally on 06/26/09 at 10:58 am

Actually, the 0 in that font doesn't have a slash, but is thinner than its O.

0h that's right... but I have seen some variations that do have the 0 in standard width, but they generally use numbers on the display. Such as the Price Is Right showcase podiums.

Check for new replies or respond here...