inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Playing outside in the summer.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/09/09 at 1:13 pm

Remember playing outside in the summer?  I spent all day outside when I was little.  Most of the time, we made games up to play, but the neighborhood kids also liked to get a good game of kick ball going, and that was always my favorite.  What did you guys like to play?

Subject: Re: Playing outside in the summer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/09 at 3:36 pm

The game I loved was called Statues. We picked someone to be the "buyer" & someone to be the "seller." The "buyer" then went away for for bit and the "seller" would spin the rest of the kids around. Where they landed, they were supposed to freeze in that position. Then the "seller" went to each of them and they whispered in the "seller's" ear what kind of statue they were supposed to be. Then the "buyer" came in and the "seller" "turned on" all the statues telling the "buyer" what they were. The "buyer" than chose which statue they liked the best. Then the one who was picked became the "buyer", the "buyer" became the "seller" & the "seller" became a statue.

Another game I liked was Sardines-which is a take on hide & seek. Instead of one person counting and everyone hides, one person hides & everyone counts. Then everyone searches for that one person. When they find him/her, that person crawls into the hiding space with them. Finally, everyone is supposed to be hiding in the same place (thus the name-Sardines) besides one person.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 07/09/09 at 3:59 pm

In the summer we played baseball or stick-ball all the time, with broken down tennis balls we could find, using a rock as first base and a clumpy piece of grass growing through the cement as third base.
Otherwise, I spent the summer in a pool, Used to be a pretty good swimmer and was told by a coach that I should join his program and be ready for the 1980 Olympics ( never happened, never joined his team. I won lots of races tho but not good enough)

Also played hopscotch with the girls. Lots of girls around when I grew up, more than guys.

Winter time: Hockey, hockey, hockey. Started out as a forward and also played goal for awhile in street hockey  (coz I was the only kid who wasn't afraid to get his by a ball!)

We played Cowboys and Indians as well, and "tag", "Hide and go seek"

Written By: Howard on 07/09/09 at 4:05 pm

Duck Duck Goose
Dodgeball.
Horse

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/09/09 at 5:13 pm

Duck Duck Goose

:o   

we played baseball in the vacant lot across the street, and we played army & tried to replicate the tv series 'Combat' where one side would be the americans and the other side the germans . we also would play marbles. each player put an equal number of marbles into a circle drawn in the dirt, and then take turns using a shooter, which was a bigger sized marble and you would win/keep the marbles you knocked out of the cirlce. some marbles were more highly prized than others.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/09 at 5:20 pm

Duck, duck, goose? Is that one if you don't duck you get goosed?

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/09/09 at 6:13 pm

We played regular sports during the day and that usually meant most of them: baseball, stickball, whiffleball,halfball
wallball, wireball, hoseball, stepball, football, street hockey and soccer. At night is was: jailbreak, break the gate or
kick the can.

Also, like most kids in the neighborhood, I never left home without my marble bag, top, or milk bottle cap (in case we came
across a game of deadbox.)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/09/09 at 6:21 pm

Any version of tag was the game of choice in my neighborhood.

Written By: Frank on 07/09/09 at 6:38 pm

:o   

. we also would play marbles. each player put an equal number of marbles into a circle drawn in the dirt, and then take turns using a shooter, which was a bigger sized marble and you would win/keep the marbles you knocked out of the cirlce. some marbles were more highly prized than others.

We did that too. Forgot about that.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/09/09 at 7:17 pm

We did that too. Forgot about that.

do you still have your marbles Frank?

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/09/09 at 7:23 pm

Jump rope!  We skip-jumped, double-dutched and jumped Chinese rope until Danny the ice cream man came.

Written By: Frank on 07/09/09 at 7:29 pm

I lost my marbles years ago. It's called "marriage"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/09/09 at 7:30 pm

I lost my marbles years ago. It's called "marriage"
does she waterboard you as needed?

Written By: Howard on 07/10/09 at 7:00 am

Cat

Yes you tap someone on the shoulder or head then when you get to the person you want to be goosed you and that person run around in a circle till one of you sits down and starts over again.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/09 at 7:01 am

I always enjoyed Handball,that was my favorite pasttime. :)

Written By: snozberries on 07/10/09 at 7:53 am

do you still have yours?

I played marbles all the time and I still have a lot of them.... I thought I was the only one who'd kept marbles from 30 years ago.

We rode bikes in the desert, played lots of basketball.... and I used bring out a radio and rollerskate in circles in my carport/driveway  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/09 at 8:20 am

I always enjoyed Handball,that was my favorite pasttime. :)

There's a joke there that I aon't gonna go near ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/10/09 at 9:16 am

Either Red Rover or Red Light Green Light.  We also had a above ground pool so all the kids in the neighborhood would invade.  Baseball, up until my brother busted a window on the porch.

Written By: Midas on 07/10/09 at 9:19 am

Dirtay! ;D

When I visited family in the Chi-town area in the summer I'd go to my one cousins' house.  7 siblings.  Add a couple more cousins and friends and the three of us and we had plenty of people for kickball.  8)

In the desert we also did a lot of dirtbike riding and playing sports at the schoolyard (I lived 3 houses away) - soccer, basketball, something we called "wall ball" where you'd throw a tennis ball or racquetball against a wall and try to catch it.  If you dropped it you had to run to the wall before someone else threw the ball to the wall.  If the wall beat you, you were out.

Swimming was and still is a favourite summer pastime.  Went last night! :D

Written By: Howard on 07/10/09 at 9:54 am

That wasn't a joke.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/10/09 at 10:00 am

There are so many things you guys have mentioned that I can't believe I didn't think of - We called Handball or Wall Ball "wally ball" and we used a bigger ball, but the rules were the same.  We also played tag, statues, red light green light, marbles, roller skated, and I spent weeks and weeks at the local pool and on my bike.  And Howard, I played lots of Duck Duck Goose - what a classic!  This thread brings back so many great memories!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/09 at 11:03 am

oh man...those were the days!

I remember we would get up early and start riding out bikes up and down the streets...waiting around for all of the other kids to come outside and play for the day. We would literally play and only take breaks for lunch and dinner. We loved playing Red Rover in our neighbor's big yard, we used to roll down another neighbor's grassy hill...until we had more grass stains and itchy skin than one could ever ask for. ;D

One of my favorites was my chinese jump rope! That thing kept us busy for HOURS!  We also used to love to do the slip & slide...and we had one of those sprinklers that was like an octopus arms..and the water would spray out of it..how fun was that?

We would play in our clubhouse that our grandpap built for us. It had a little window, so we would pretend that we worked at McDonald's...and one person would be the worker and the others would ride up to the window on their bikes for some food!  :P  We would also camp out sometimes in this clubhouse. My mom would make us a big bowl of popcorn..and we would go outside and sleep in it...watching the stars and telling scary stories to one another.

I could go on and on..and probably write a book about all of it, hey..maybe I should. :)

Written By: Midas on 07/10/09 at 11:24 am

I was talking to my BIL the other day before we set off fireworks about those plastic rockets that you would fill with water then pump and launch.  Those were fun too. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/10/09 at 11:35 am

Erin, I'm so jealous of your clubhouse!  That's awesome!  And LOL about you guys playing McDonalds!  How fun! 

I had a slip and slide too, but inevitably, there would be a rock underneath the plastic, and it would hurt so bad when you'd hit the dang thing! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/09 at 12:13 pm

We used to play a game called Seven-Up. You have a ball (kick, soccer, basketball size) and a wall. First you just throw it against the wall seven times. Then to hit the wall and let it bounce once 7 times. Then you clap as it is bouncing, then turn, etc. etc. Each time you do something else as it gets harder & harder.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 07/10/09 at 6:25 pm

We used to play a game called Seven-Up. You have a ball (kick, soccer, basketball size) and a wall. First you just throw it against the wall seven times. Then to hit the wall and let it bounce once 7 times. Then you clap as it is bouncing, then turn, etc. etc. Each time you do something else as it gets harder & harder.

Cat

I recall something like that as well. Lots of fun when we were kids. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/10/09 at 6:36 pm

I always liked freeze tag when I was a little kid,that was a good game.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/10/09 at 6:38 pm

I always liked freeze tag when I was a little kid,that was a good game.

Hey Howard, 1,2,3,FREEZE!!!

OK 1,2,3, UNFREEZE!!!

Written By: Howard on 07/10/09 at 6:41 pm

Hey Howard, 1,2,3,FREEZE!!!

OK 1,2,3, UNFREEZE!!!

What was the whole point of freezing?  ::)

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/10/09 at 7:59 pm

A lot of jump rope, hide-and-seek, kickball, and hopscotch.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/11/09 at 7:04 am

playing baseball during the summer,I always hit the ball out of the court,I was known for that.

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 7:16 am

playing baseball during the summer,I always hit the ball out of the court,I was known for that.

hmmm playing baseball on a court...interesting tactic.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/11/09 at 7:48 am

hmmm playing baseball on a court...interesting tactic.  ;)

I always hit home runs.

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 7:51 am

I always hit home runs.

on a court? like a basketball court?  ???

Written By: Frank on 07/11/09 at 10:54 am

Baseball ---> Baseball park
Basketball --> court

You hit the ball out of the park then?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/09 at 10:57 am

What was the whole point of freezing?  ::)

Because you can't unfreeze until you've been frozen.  Play the game right or else I'll find someone else.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/09 at 6:57 pm

on a court? like a basketball court?  ???

sort of like a big field.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/09 at 6:58 pm

Baseball ---> Baseball park
Basketball --> court

You hit the ball out of the park then?

Yes I was dangerous.  :o

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 6:58 pm

sort of like a big field.

so not a court  ???

Written By: Howard on 07/11/09 at 6:58 pm

so not a court  ???

I don't remember.  ???

Written By: Frank on 07/11/09 at 11:33 pm

I don't remember.  ???

Howard, think you should listen to snoz and me, it wasn't a court, it was a field or park.
Trust us.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/09 at 6:47 am

Howard, think you should listen to snoz and me, it wasn't a court, it was a field or park.
Trust us.

Yes it was a park,I remember when a group of us went in,there were handball courts on one side and a small playground on the other.

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/09 at 10:54 am

Trust us.

well he does live in Queens so I can see where the confusion comes in  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/13/09 at 5:38 am

well he does live in Queens so I can see where the confusion comes in  :D

I live in Queens and they don't.  :P

Written By: Midas on 07/13/09 at 1:57 pm

I find it amazing that I used to be able to deal with the triple-digit heat in the summer a lot better when I was a kid. I'd play for hours outside.  Now it's a little harder to deal with.  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/09 at 2:04 pm

I find it amazing that I used to be able to deal with the triple-digit heat in the summer a lot better when I was a kid. I'd play for hours outside.  Now it's a little harder to deal with.  :P

There were many hot summer days when it looked like it had rained over (and inside) our house and our house alone.

It started at the kitchen sink with just a slash of water in someone's face. Then it went to a cup full of a water. Then a pitcher. We finally moved outside where we got the hose. We also went down the street to the store to pick up balloons to fill.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/13/09 at 4:29 pm

I can't deal with triple digit weather in the summer,it's much too hot to do anything outside.  :P

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/13/09 at 7:27 pm

I used to handle the triple-digit heat very well when I was a kid, too.  Now I stay indoors as much as possible.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/13/09 at 7:45 pm

There were many hot summer days when it looked like it had rained over (and inside) our house and our house alone.

It started at the kitchen sink with just a slash of water in someone's face. Then it went to a cup full of a water. Then a pitcher. We finally moved outside where we got the hose. We also went down the street to the store to pick up balloons to fill.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Didn't anyone open a fire hydrant? We always had the fire hydrant open in the summer. At first we would just open it up and let the
water gush out, the fire department got so tired of coming around to close the hydrant they put a sprinkler cap on it.

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/09 at 8:03 pm

I used to handle the triple-digit heat very well when I was a kid, too.  Now I stay indoors as much as possible.

funny you guys say this... at the age of 12 you couldn't drag me out of the desert in the middle of the summer
now you put me in the desert in the summer and i'm ready to kill somebody!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/14/09 at 7:06 am

Me Too,when it reaches 100,my air conditioner is on full blast.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/09 at 8:41 am

Didn't anyone open a fire hydrant? We always had the fire hydrant open in the summer. At first we would just open it up and let the
water gush out, the fire department got so tired of coming around to close the hydrant they put a sprinkler cap on it.

Nope. Never did that.

Cat

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/14/09 at 12:07 pm

We ALWAYS did this in Brooklyn but my Grandmother would never let me participate because she swore the water was dirty and that I'd get some horrible rash or disease  ;D

Written By: nally on 07/16/09 at 11:59 am

Cat

I think so..yeah. ;D That was one backyard kiddie game I enjoyed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/09 at 12:32 pm

This morning as we were reading the paper, we could hear the kids next door playing in the pool. "Marco, Polo".  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/16/09 at 6:52 pm

This morning as we were reading the paper, we could hear the kids next door playing in the pool. "Marco, Polo".  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Marco Polo? wow that's an old game.

Written By: Midas on 07/17/09 at 10:32 am

funny you guys say this... at the age of 12 you couldn't drag me out of the desert in the middle of the summer
now you put me in the desert in the summer and i'm ready to kill somebody!  ;D

That's 'cuz we're "crazy from the heat" :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/17/09 at 11:29 am

My grandma has a shallow pond in her backyard - we used to play in that all the time.  That was the BEST!

Written By: nally on 07/17/09 at 11:33 am

Marco Polo? wow that's an old game.

What's the idea behind it? It's the name of an Italian explorer...I always wondered what the point was of just saying his first and last names alternately.

Edit... by checking out this link, I was able to find out the story behind it.

Written By: nally on 07/17/09 at 11:35 am

I can't deal with triple digit weather in the summer,it's much too hot to do anything outside.  :P

It was like that all the time in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, where I grew up (and it's still like that, according to what I hear on the news; it doesn't surprise me); thankfully we don't have to deal with it now that we live closer to the ocean.

Written By: Midas on 07/17/09 at 11:37 am

My grandma has a shallow pond in her backyard - we used to play in that all the time.  That was the BEST!

I liked the ce-ment pond my best friend (next door neighbor when I was a kid) had :D

Written By: Howard on 07/17/09 at 6:49 pm

I liked the ce-ment pond my best friend (next door neighbor when I was a kid) had :D

How do swim in a cement pond?  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/09 at 7:17 pm

What's the idea behind it? It's the name of an Italian explorer...I always wondered what the point was of just saying his first and last names alternately.

Edit... by checking out this link, I was able to find out the story behind it.

soooo... you've been playing it wrong all these years?  ???  ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/17/09 at 7:26 pm

I always loved tag in the summer.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/19/09 at 1:12 pm

Kick Ball, Red Light/Green Light, Mother May I, various jump rope limmericks, and playing in the lawn sprinkler/fire hydrant  http://sweet.socialpets.net/13309501563p8146.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/19/09 at 10:20 pm

Kick Ball

another favorite of mine.

Written By: Midas on 07/20/09 at 9:51 am

Um...it's a pool, Howard.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/09 at 10:00 am

You lay on your stomach on top of the water, you reach one arm in back and then raise it up out of the water and bring it down in the water in front of you. Then you do it with the other arm. Keep doing that alternating arms. Don't forget to kick your feet all the time you are doing that.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/20/09 at 10:40 am

Um...it's a pool, Howard.

maybe howard's never seen Beverly Hillbillies

Written By: Midas on 07/20/09 at 11:03 am

I thought Howard was related to Jethro!

http://www.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/jethro211.gif

Written By: snozberries on 07/20/09 at 11:21 am

I see the resemblance  ;D

Written By: Frank on 07/20/09 at 2:28 pm

I don' t think the Beverly Hillbillies have ever seen Howard.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/09 at 4:27 pm

I don't smile that brightly.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/20/09 at 4:28 pm

I've seen Beverly Hillbillies,I'm just living in another world. ;D

Written By: nally on 07/20/09 at 4:36 pm

soooo... you've been playing it wrong all these years?  ???   ;)

No....I never played it at all! I'd just been observing.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/09 at 5:05 pm

I used to ride my bike.

Written By: Frank on 07/20/09 at 5:36 pm

We played hockey (road hockey) in June or July sometimes, almost all year long. It was baseball or Hockey. Sometimes we'd play both on the same day.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/20/09 at 7:18 pm

I used to ride my bike.

I used to ride my bike in the mornings every summer.  Even then it would be pretty warm outside.

Written By: nally on 07/20/09 at 11:31 pm

I used to ride my bike in the mornings every summer.  Even then it would be pretty warm outside.

I would often ride mine at other times of the year. I was about 11 when I really got into it; I had some friends in the neighborhood who would ride theirs. At the time, however, I still had a bike which I'd already outgrown; thankfully I got a new one for Christmas that year.

In the summertime, however, I would not ride it in the warm weather.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/09 at 6:58 am

Ever rode your bike in the hot summer? I did when I was a kid,I'd be coming home soaken wet with perspiration. :P

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/09 at 10:46 am

I used to bmx it in the Las Vegas Desert... in the summer! It was great fun!

Written By: ninny on 07/21/09 at 10:54 am

I use to ride my bike and play jarts with my family. I also use to practice hitting the baseball a lot.

Written By: karen on 07/21/09 at 12:44 pm

The game we played most often (summer and winter) was 45-and-in - a version of hide and seek.  Other popular games were ticky (tag) using the two manhole covers on the green (shared grass area in front of several houses) as bases, polo (no idea what else people might know this game as but it isn't related at all to the game on horseback or Marco Polo!) and a game we called Boston Rugby which was a bit like rugby league.

We also might play cricket if we could persuade a dad or older brother to bowl.  Bikes, pogo sticks, space hoppers, skipping ropes and French elastic also featured sometimes.

I remember one year we set up a tent on the green and "camped" (don't recall if the older ones stayed out overnight) including cooking apples on an open fire!!

Written By: nally on 07/21/09 at 12:56 pm

Ever rode your bike in the hot summer? I did when I was a kid,I'd be coming home soaken wet with perspiration. :P

Not me. When I rode my bike in the summertime, it was usually late afternoon/early evening, about 5 or 6 P.M., when the weather was cooler.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/09 at 3:12 pm

Not me. When I rode my bike in the summertime, it was usually late afternoon/early evening, about 5 or 6 P.M., when the weather was cooler.

I know,the sun is at it's hottest towards the afternoon,the morning it is cooler.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/21/09 at 10:38 pm

I avoided riding my bike during the day as much as possible.  I spent much of my time in the pool!  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/22/09 at 5:53 am

I avoided riding my bike during the day as much as possible.  I spent much of my time in the pool!  :D

The pool was always refreshing after riding the bike.

Written By: mooster on 07/22/09 at 10:16 pm

We used to ride our bikes and scooters, play elastics and skipping rope, hide and seek, brandings and handball.....amongst others that don't come to mind right now...those were the days  8)

Written By: Howard on 07/23/09 at 7:02 am

collecting cans and bottles while riding my bike during the summer was fun,just going to every park and checking everywhere were fun days.

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/09 at 11:59 am

I got a skateboard in 1977 shortly after seeing the Charlie's Angels ep depicted in my avatar. I was so afraid of falling off of it I used to sit my skinny ass on the board and scoot (using my hands) down the sidewalk... I wasn't so scared that I wouldn't take a hill on that thing...I just did it sitting down.  ;D

Written By: nally on 07/23/09 at 12:21 pm

I used to enjoy playing in the pool when I was little too. However, I never successfully learned to swim as a tot because I was deathly afraid of going underwater. :-[

Written By: gemini on 07/23/09 at 4:26 pm

I love this thread! It brings back great memories.  We were usually outside all day long playing all sorts of stuff, like jump rope, chinese jump rope, freeze tag, pickle, kick the can, hopscotch, flashlight tag was always a favorite. Bike riding was usually the biggest past time.

Written By: nally on 07/23/09 at 4:56 pm

I love this thread! It brings back great memories.  We were usually outside all day long playing all sorts of stuff, like jump rope, chinese jump rope, freeze tag, pickle, kick the can, hopscotch, flashlight tag was always a favorite. Bike riding was usually the biggest past time.

Sounds like you had a good time! :)

What is "pickle" and how is it played?

Written By: Howard on 07/23/09 at 6:58 pm

I used to enjoy playing in the pool when I was little too. However, I never successfully learned to swim as a tot because I was deathly afraid of going underwater. :-[

I always let my Mother teach me,I had my floaties.

Written By: Midas on 07/24/09 at 4:00 pm

My fiancé's nephew just turned 2 this month and he is jumping into the pool with his little life vest on. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/24/09 at 6:05 pm

My fiancé's nephew just turned 2 this month and he is jumping into the pool with his little life vest on. :)

I remember my own pool,that was 1980. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/24/09 at 9:49 pm

Pickle might be this (although I'd never heard of it either) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickleball

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/24/09 at 11:02 pm

I used to enjoy playing in the pool when I was little too. However, I never successfully learned to swim as a tot because I was deathly afraid of going underwater. :-

My mother made sure I always had those floaties, too, when I was little.  :)

Written By: nally on 07/25/09 at 12:54 am

Pickle might be this (although I'd never heard of it either) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickleball

Yeah, that's probably it. Thanks, Patty!

Written By: nally on 07/25/09 at 12:57 am

I'm so sorry, Jeff...I knew a few people in my life that was afraid to go swimming, too.   :(

Yep. It wasn't until my teens that I began to take an interest in swimming lessons.

My mother made sure I always had those floaties, too, when I was little.   :)

I don't remember ever wearing them (altho I probably did), but they might've helped me.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/09 at 6:48 am

My mother made sure I always had those floaties, too, when I was little.

Were you able to go into the pool alone or did you need some assistance? ???

Written By: gemini on 07/25/09 at 7:04 am

It's a game where you have 2 people standing about 30 feet apart from each other, those are the bases, then you have kids in the middle and the 2 people throw a ball back and forth to each other, while the kids run back and forth touching the bases withouth getting hit by the ball or tagged before they touch the base. That's it!  :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/26/09 at 8:22 pm

Were you able to go into the pool alone or did you need some assistance? ???

Nope, I didn't need any assistance....my mother wanted to make sure I was safe, though.  :)

Written By: Davester on 07/27/09 at 1:33 am

Riding our bikes and using a hump in the street as a ramp.  Playing baseball, a manhole cover serving as home plate.  Two-hand touch football - and sometimes tackle football.  Playing SWAT - everyone wanted to be Jim Street.  Playing superheros with the dish towel and safety pin cape.  Hide and seek tag.  Flashlight tag at night. Playing army (or war or whatever) on a nearby hillside with toy machine guns and throwing dirt clods and pine cones at each other.  Someone would get hit with a clod, start crying, run home, game over.  Digging for gold on the same hill with claw hammers, which we did all the time.  We played everything...

The Dukes of Hazzard was big time, and we had the neighborhood divided-up into counties.  Whenever you rode into someone else's "county" you got chased by the sheriff.  We even played Mork & Mindy, but I don't remember exactly how we did that...

That hill was cool because several "environments" were represented.  The face of the hill was bare dirt, devoid of any vegetation so could be used as a desert if needed.  The top of the hill was covered in pine trees and eucalyptus trees and could be a forest.  The other side of the hill was lush and green and covered with dense foilage, like a jungle.  The street below and amongst the houses served as the "urban" environment when we needed to be in the city...

Where the action took place.  Rough guide to 7th Avenue in the 1970s.  John told me last year that when he dies he wishes to be buried on the Hill...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/TheHillon7thAve.jpg

All the games listed in the poll were games we played mostly at school, not at home...

Written By: Howard on 07/27/09 at 6:38 am

I remember playing outside in the summer and the heavy thunderstorms came and boy did I run home on my bike as fast as I can.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/09 at 11:14 am

Riding our bikes and using a hump in the street as a ramp.  Playing baseball, a manhole cover serving as home plate.  Two-hand touch football - and sometimes tackle football.  Playing SWAT - everyone wanted to be Jim Street.  Playing superheros with the dish towel and safety pin cape.  Hide and seek tag.  Flashlight tag at night. Playing army (or war or whatever) on a nearby hillside with toy machine guns and throwing dirt clods and pine cones at each other.  Someone would get hit with a clod, start crying, run home, game over.  Digging for gold on the same hill with claw hammers, which we did all the time.  We played everything...

The Dukes of Hazzard was big time, and we had the neighborhood divided-up into counties.  Whenever you rode into someone else's "county" you got chased by the sheriff.  We even played Mork & Mindy, but I don't remember exactly how we did that...

That hill was cool because several "environments" were represented.  The face of the hill was bare dirt, devoid of any vegetation so could be used as a desert if needed.  The top of the hill was covered in pine trees and eucalyptus trees and could be a forest.  The other side of the hill was lush and green and covered with dense foilage, like a jungle.  The street below and amongst the houses served as the "urban" environment when we needed to be in the city...

Where the action took place.  Rough guide to 7th Avenue in the 1970s.  John told me last year that when he dies he wishes to be buried on the Hill...

All the games listed in the poll were games we played mostly at school, not at home...

I know what you mean about playing t.v. shows like SWAT & the Dukes of Hazzard. I remember in first grade playing Lost in Space. (I guess that is dating me again.  :-\\ ) I ALWAYS had to play Penny. If I wasn't Penny, I didn't want to play. One time I was Judy and I was so mad about it.  :D ;D  With my sibs, I remember somewhat playing the Addams Family & the Brady Bunch since there were 6 of us, also. We didn't really play per say, just say to my brother, "You're Gomez" or "You're Greg." Being the youngest, I was Wednesday and/or Cindy.

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/27/09 at 1:04 pm

We had a phase of playing 6 million dollar man and the bionic woman.

Also Evel Knievel on bicycles, jumping using a ramp made from an old plank and a pile of bricks.

Written By: Midas on 07/27/09 at 1:25 pm

Also Evel Knievel on bicycles, jumping using a ramp made from an old plank and a pile of bricks.

That sounds like a sweet jump.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HTE1AptM2qk/SVl6sJz3DEI/AAAAAAAAAfo/3uRicPhhRAc/s320/popcorn+tub+napoleon+dynamite.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/09 at 2:08 pm

did you guys do the super speed run ......by running in slow motion too!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/27/09 at 3:04 pm

Did you get hurt?

Written By: Frank on 07/27/09 at 4:21 pm

We did as well, I had a Evel Knievel bike ( miniature) and ramp set, and we also did the 6 million dollar man thing.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/27/09 at 4:49 pm

It's a game where you have 2 people standing about 30 feet apart from each other, those are the bases, then you have kids in the middle and the 2 people throw a ball back and forth to each other, while the kids run back and forth touching the bases withouth getting hit by the ball or tagged before they touch the base. That's it!  :)

We used to play that but we just called it run the bases. Another of my favorite games was kill the man with the ball.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/27/09 at 4:58 pm

in the summertime we used to swim in the many irrigation ditches that surrounded the orchards and fields. the ditches are about 10 feet wide and the water about 3-4 feet deep, clear clean water from the San Joaquin River.

today I would never let my kid swim in such a dangerous place  ::)

Written By: Frank on 07/27/09 at 5:24 pm

in the summertime we used to swim in the many irrigation ditches that surrounded the orchards and fields. the ditches are about 10 feet wide and the water about 3-4 feet deep, clear clean water from the San Joaquin River.

today I would never let my kid swim in such a dangerous place  ::)

Some of the stuff we did as kids (like climb from the front seat of a car to the back seat when it's going 70MPH..no seatbelt laws back then) we would not let our kids do today.

Written By: nally on 07/27/09 at 7:39 pm

Nope, I didn't need any assistance....my mother wanted to make sure I was safe, though.  :)

That's what caring parents do. :) My mom always made sure I was safe in the pool too. So did my grandparents, whenever I went to their house (they had a pool in their backyard).

Written By: nally on 07/27/09 at 7:40 pm

Some of the stuff we did as kids (like climb from the front seat of a car to the back seat when it's going 70MPH..no seatbelt laws back then) we would not let our kids do today.

Sounds too dangerous to even attempt. :o

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/27/09 at 8:03 pm

Really nice neighborhood, Davester!  Looks like a lot of fun!  :)

I remember playing outside in the summer and the heavy thunderstorms came and boy did I run home on my bike as fast as I can.  :o

I wasn't allowed to do anything outside when there was a thunderstorm! Which was fine by me, because thunderstorms used to scare the hell out of me!  :o

Written By: karen on 07/27/09 at 9:07 pm

did you guys do the super speed run ......by running in slow motion too!  ;D

Yep - complete with the sound effect or theme tune as appropriate!

Written By: karen on 07/27/09 at 9:08 pm

We did as well, I had a Evel Knievel bike ( miniature) and ramp set, and we also did the 6 million dollar man thing.

With the red wind-up unit?  One of my brothers had that toy

Written By: karen on 07/27/09 at 9:11 pm

Did you get hurt?

Doing what?

No one was seriously injured that I can recall.  One or two kids got bruised up when one of the younger kids tried the Evel Knievel thing.  We used to lie down next to the ramp so people could see how kids they could jump over.  Jason couldn't manage to jump at all.  He'd ride up the ramp then just drop his front wheel over, landing on whoever volunteered to lie next to the ramp.  After the first time no one dared volunteer!

Written By: nally on 07/27/09 at 10:33 pm

Exactly as I was thinking. 8)

I wasn't allowed to do anything outside when there was a thunderstorm! Which was fine by me, because thunderstorms used to scare the hell out of me!  :o

That's good. No one should be outside during a thunderstorm, regardless of the time of year.

Written By: Davester on 07/28/09 at 1:06 am

I know what you mean about playing t.v. shows like SWAT & the Dukes of Hazzard. I remember in first grade playing Lost in Space. (I guess that is dating me again.  :-\\ ) I ALWAYS had to play Penny. If I wasn't Penny, I didn't want to play. One time I was Judy and I was so mad about it.  :D ;D  With my sibs, I remember somewhat playing the Addams Family & the Brady Bunch since there were 6 of us, also. We didn't really play per say, just say to my brother, "You're Gomez" or "You're Greg." Being the youngest, I was Wednesday and/or Cindy.

Cat

Television definately had playability.  Annie, like you, needed to play the female role - Mindy, Leia, Daisy or garden variety damsel-in-distress.  Terribly, terribly un-PC ain't it..? :P

Thank you coqueta.  It sure was fun, but 90% of the fun was in our heads.  To have an imagination like that now I could probably write fiction novels...

The google earth shot was in 2007, I think.  The old hood looks almost exactly the same as it did 30+ years ago...

I still bear a very visible scar on my right forearm, about 2½ inches long, from doing just that - Eval Knievel jumps on our bikes.  In the picture you see where our ramp was.  The problem with the ramp was that after you made the jump you had to turn the instant your tires touched the ground or you'd smack into the hillside.  We all did that but my crash was particullarly nasty.  And if I remember correctly that day was my 7th or 8th birthday...

From a picture in my bedroom, 1976...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/Knievel.jpg

Written By: Frank on 07/28/09 at 1:53 am

With the red wind-up unit?  One of my brothers had that toy

I don't remember. It's been too many years.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/09 at 5:48 am

Wow,that's a nice bike. :)

So that must be you right next to it?  ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/28/09 at 5:07 pm

Wow,that's a nice bike. :)

So that must be you right next to it?  ;D

No, that's John's right arm...

Written By: Howard on 07/28/09 at 5:48 pm

Does anyone remember hopscotch in the summertime?

Written By: Midas on 07/29/09 at 9:50 am

Yeah and butterscotch candies and a glass of scotch!  :D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/29/09 at 1:43 pm

I didn't play outside much as a child because:

1--I hate to be outside
2--My father was afraid someone would abduct me.
3--I usually had pageant practice, choir practice or Campfire Girls meetings

But when I could get outside and away from Nickelodeon before it went to hell, I loved kickball. And softball.  ;D Pretty much anything where I coukd hit or kick stuff, I was game.

Written By: Midas on 07/29/09 at 3:22 pm

1--I hate to be outside

But when I could get outside and away from Nickelodeon before it went to hell, I loved kickball. And softball.  ;D Pretty much anything where I coukd hit or kick stuff, I was game.

It's interesting to see how things change from generation to generation.  I was a latchkey kid from age 8 on.  In the summer I could go over to friends' houses, go ride bikes, play in the yard, at the schoolyard, go to the arcade etc.  I was brought up in suburban neighborhoods.  I guess my parents didn't worry much about someone abducting us.  We knew not to talk to strangers.  There were homes in my neighborhood with a red 'E' in the window to alert children to run to that house if a situation arose.

That being said, if and when I have children and they're of age to go outside and play, I'll probably want to be close by.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/09 at 5:44 pm

Yeah and butterscotch candies and a glass of scotch!  :D

http://www.mankus.com/images/Hopscotch.jpg

No,this hopscotch.^

Written By: karen on 07/29/09 at 5:50 pm

It's interesting to see how things change from generation to generation.  I was a latchkey kid from age 8 on.  In the summer I could go over to friends' houses, go ride bikes, play in the yard, at the schoolyard, go to the arcade etc.  I was brought up in suburban neighborhoods.  I guess my parents didn't worry much about someone abducting us.  We knew not to talk to strangers.  There were homes in my neighborhood with a red 'E' in the window to alert children to run to that house if a situation arose.

That being said, if and when I have children and they're of age to go outside and play, I'll probably want to be close by.

My 10-year-old daughter is just coming round to the idea of sometimes getting home from school and waiting for me to come home a short time later.  Like you I was also a latchkey kid.  I must have been 7 when I went home on my own.  At first it was just to pick up sandwiches and then I went to a friends house.  But later on my older brothers were trusted to look after me!  The neighbours were generally around if we needed an adult.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/09 at 5:52 pm

1--I hate to be outside

I don't understand number 2?  ???

Written By: karen on 07/29/09 at 6:20 pm

I don't understand number 2?  ???

Her father (male parent)

was afraid (scared, worried)

someone (person unknown)

would abduct (take, kidnap, run off with) me (Apollonia1986)

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/29/09 at 7:19 pm

I played hopscotch with my friends on my driveway...my parents were pretty cool about marking up the driveway with chalk.  :)

Written By: mooster on 07/29/09 at 8:10 pm

I played hopscotch with my friends on my driveway...my parents were pretty cool about marking up the driveway with chalk.  :)

Me too! I forgot about that!!!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/29/09 at 10:39 pm

Her father (male parent)

someone (person unknown)

;D Thank you for clarifying that Karen!

Just for the record, no one has gotten abducted from my niehgborhood.  :-\\ But a fellow did run over a policeman with the squad car during a domestic dispute a few years ago. LOL.
For the most part of I was a latchkey kid. I watched so much TV, I usually scheduled my homework time around my favorite shows. Heck, it's hard trying to do 5 subjects in a 30 minute period (While Wheel of Fortune was on from 6:30-7:-00 pm) And if Michael was on, that was a "sick" day. LOL.
I played softball and kickball in school. I liked kickball until 4th grade when I took the ball to the stomach on the play ground. And I gave up on softball the day I hit the ball over the fence into the forest behind the school and teacher got hung up on the fence trying to go after it. LOL. 

Written By: nally on 07/29/09 at 10:55 pm

Mine too.

It would eventually fade away...especially when the rain came.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/29/09 at 11:09 pm

Mine too.

It would eventually fade away...especially when the rain came.

Either that or my mother would wash it off with a hose whenever she watered the plants in the front yard  ;D (we didn't have automatic sprinklers back then).

Written By: Howard on 07/30/09 at 6:46 am

I played hopscotch with my friends on my driveway...my parents were pretty cool about marking up the driveway with chalk.   :)

How does one person win in hopscotch?  ???

Written By: karen on 07/30/09 at 7:36 am

How does one person win in hopscotch?  ???

we played it that it was the first person to complete all the numbers in order. 

Written By: mooster on 07/30/09 at 7:43 am

we played it that it was the first person to complete all the numbers in order. 

That's how we played it too ! Is there another way ???

Written By: karen on 07/30/09 at 7:50 am

That's how we played it too ! Is there another way ???

The only difference I know of is the different layouts of the numbers.

http://www.mankus.com/images/Hopscotch.jpg

This is the one we used (though not this fancy!)

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4868907/148791-main_Full.jpg

I also found a 'how to' video! 

http://www.ehow.com/video_4467037_how-hopscotch-winner-determined.html

Written By: Howard on 07/30/09 at 8:11 am

Thanks Karen. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/30/09 at 8:12 am

Thanks Karen. :)

Written By: mooster on 07/30/09 at 8:16 am

This is the configuration we used:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/TiuFeiKei(Hopscotch)_pattern.JPG/800px-TiuFeiKei(Hopscotch)_pattern.JPG

9 was 'home' and the first person to get there was the winner

Written By: karen on 07/30/09 at 8:19 am

^ That's the layout they painted on our school playground, and we were all confused.  They needed to check with the kids who'd be playing on it!

Written By: nally on 07/30/09 at 11:31 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/TiuFeiKei(Hopscotch)_pattern.JPG/800px-TiuFeiKei(Hopscotch)_pattern.JPG

Yeah, that's the configuration mostly used in the US, too. I like the other kind (with the alternating single- and double- squares) as well, though.

Written By: karen on 07/30/09 at 1:21 pm

Yeah, that's the configuration mostly used in the US, too. I like the other kind (with the alternating single- and double- squares) as well, though.

The neighbourhood where I lived as a kid had pavement slabs laid out in that alternating design.  That may have been an influencing factor in why we used that pattern

Written By: nally on 07/30/09 at 3:28 pm

I also used (periodically) a slightly different version with 9 squares, which was symmetrical:

6 7
3 4

This version is probably not widely used, but there are all kinds of variations.

I also used a variation with 10 squares that is similar to the above:

7 8
4 5

(Basically the standard U.S. version with an additional square on top.)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/30/09 at 4:25 pm

we used to go to school playfields or big parks and fly kites.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/09 at 5:21 pm

I always thought the winner was the person with the higher number in hopscotch.  ???

Written By: mooster on 07/30/09 at 5:23 pm

I always thought the winner was the person with the higher number in hopscotch.  ???

Who knows - we probably made up our own rules!  ::) ;D ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/30/09 at 5:24 pm

Who knows - we probably made up our own rules!  ::) ;D ;)

So you had throw the little ball at a certain number?  ???

Written By: karen on 07/30/09 at 5:27 pm

So you had throw the little ball at a certain number?  ???

We played it that you threw a small stone.  First played started at number 1.  If the stone landed on that with the first throw then they hopscotched up to the end, turned around on one leg then hopscotched back.  They picked up the stone whilst on places 2 and 3, hopped into 1 and then back.  Then they tried to get 2.  If they missed any number it was the next persons turn.

Written By: mooster on 07/30/09 at 5:28 pm

So you had throw the little ball at a certain number?  ???

A stone

We played it that you threw a small stone.  First played started at number 1.  If the stone landed on that with the first throw then they hopscotched up to the end, turned around on one leg then hopscotched back.  They picked up the stone whilst on places 2 and 3, hopped into 1 and then back.  Then they tried to get 2.  If they missed any number it was the next persons turn.

Same here

Written By: karen on 07/30/09 at 5:30 pm

Since you mentioned it first I'm beginning to wonder why we're explaining all this to you.  Did you ever play it?

Written By: Howard on 07/30/09 at 5:33 pm

Since you mentioned it first I'm beginning to wonder why we're explaining all this to you.  Did you ever play it?

I used to watch girls play it but never played it myself.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/30/09 at 7:36 pm

That's basically how we did it, too.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/30/09 at 7:55 pm

Didn't you have to hop over the stone on the way up then pick it up on the way back. The playground near our house was segregated in the fact
that the boys would be on one side playing deadbox and the girls would be on the other playing hopscotch. I was interested in one of the girls so
I would watch her play; I think that how they played it.

Written By: karen on 07/30/09 at 7:58 pm

Didn't you have to hop over the stone on the way up then pick it up on the way back. The playground near our house was segregated in the fact
that the boys would be on one side playing deadbox and the girls would be on the other playing hopscotch. I was interested in one of the girls so
I would watch her play; I think that how they played it.

Yeah, miss out the number the stone is on, on the way up and stop before it to pick up the stone on the way back

Written By: nally on 07/30/09 at 11:00 pm

Yeah, miss out the number the stone is on, on the way up and stop before it to pick up the stone on the way back

I periodically did that too

Written By: Frank on 07/31/09 at 12:17 am

I played it lots, always hung around a bunch of girls back then. I even had my own "ken" doll that the girls bought me. I liked hopscotch and skipping rope too, I got pretty good at it.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/09 at 6:48 am

http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/images/jacks800w.jpg

This was a fun game to play,Jacks.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/09 at 6:50 am

I played it lots, always hung around a bunch of girls back then. I even had my own "ken" doll that the girls bought me. I liked hopscotch and skipping rope too, I got pretty good at it.

Don't worry,I used to play with Barbie dolls. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/09 at 10:12 pm

Yep - complete with the sound effect or theme tune as appropriate!

that's funny.... we did the same thing!

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/09 at 10:16 pm

Her father (male parent)

someone (person unknown)

OMG IF you were here right now I would  :-* you... you made me laugh so hard!!!!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/09 at 10:22 pm

that last person standing was the winner... so if you lost your balance you were out. 

we kept going until there was only one person left "in"

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/09 at 10:22 pm

I used to watch girls play it but never played it myself.

:-X

I bet you did!  :P

Written By: Howard on 08/01/09 at 5:43 am

^Hey I was young and curious,what more do you want?  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/01/09 at 3:41 pm

OMG IF you were here right now I would  :-* you... you made me laugh so hard!!!!  ;D

Me, too.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 08/01/09 at 4:23 pm

I did as well, all the girls I hung around had them. Barbie clothes everywhere in my room.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/09 at 6:11 pm

I did as well, all the girls I hung around had them. Barbie clothes everywhere in my room.

I loved undressing them and looking at their plastic boobies.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/01/09 at 6:16 pm

I loved undressing them and looking at their plastic boobies.  ;D

wow....that's surprising I'm sure no one here thought that's what you liked to do with barbies...  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/01/09 at 6:18 pm

wow....that's surprising I'm sure no one here thought that's what you liked to do with barbies...   ::)

But you replied and read it so you're one example.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/01/09 at 6:20 pm

I loved undressing them and looking at their plastic boobies.  ;D

for howard.....
barbie pron

please don't post the picture or describe it..... I don't want you to get into trouble  

Written By: Howard on 08/01/09 at 7:07 pm

for howard.....
barbie pron

please don't post the picture or describe it..... I don't want you to get into trouble  

Ok Snoz I won't. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/01/09 at 7:09 pm

Ok Snoz I won't. ;)

thanks

Written By: Howard on 08/01/09 at 7:11 pm

thanks

your welcome.

Written By: Frank on 08/02/09 at 7:50 pm

Baseball soccer. Anyone play that? It's like baseball, but with a soccer ball. The Pitcher would roll the soccer ball from the pitching mound, and the *batter* at home plate would kick the ball and then the same rules applied as in baseball.

Written By: mooster on 08/02/09 at 8:27 pm

http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/images/jacks800w.jpg

This was a fun game to play,Jacks.

We used to play Jacks/Knucklebones - but with these:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/131805178_6617d7fde2.jpg?v=0

And with these rules:

* Over hand ones, twos, threes, fours - first "jockey" then eliminate all you have caught except one. Throw this one up and whilst it is in the air quickly pick one (two, three, or four) up off the ground, and then catch the one you threw up. Repeat with remaining knucklebones. You are able to sweep the knucklebones prior to picking them up.

* Scatter ones, twos, threes, fours - Scatter all five, select and pick up one, throw it up and without "sweeping" proceed as above.

* Dumps - hold five knucklebones in the palm, then dump them in a heap on the ground. Select one which you must take away without disturbing any others. Throw this one up, pick up other four, and catch the first one.

* Over hand scatter ones, twos, threes, fours - first "jockey" then proceed to scatter remaining knucklebones.

* Clicks - first "jockey" then proceeded as with over hand ones. When catching the one you threw up the knucklebones must click.

* No click - same as above but knucklebones must not click

* Little jingles - first "jockey", continue as over-hand ones, but keep all jacks caught in your hand at all times (including those caught while jockeying).

* Big jingles - same as above but all jacks must be thrown up each time.

* Juggles - First "jockey". If you say catch one, you throw the three in the air and whilst they are in the air pick up another, thrown that second one up, then catch the first, then catch the second. Proceed until all the jacks have been completed.

* Horse in the stable - First "jockey". Then put the tips of your five fingers of one hand on the ground, so as to make four arches. If, in "jockey" you catch say two, you put one in the 'stable' formed by your hand. Throw the other one up and whilst it is up 'sweep' another jack through one of the arches so that it stays in the stable. You can 'sweep' as many times as you like. Proceed until all 4 are stabled (each jack MUST go through a different arch!)When the 4 are in the stable take the hand away throw the fifth jack in the air and whilst it is up pick up the four and catch the fifth.

* Through the arch - As above, but only make one arch with the thumb and forefinger, and allow only one 'sweep' to get each jack through.

* Over the line - First "jockey". Place your (left)hand down on the ground. Put all the jacks caught except one, on the left side of the hand. Throw your jack up in the air and whilst it is up quickly move a jack from the right to the left hand side of the hand. Do this until all four jacks are on the left side and try and keep them together.... There must be no sweeping. When the four jacks are in the position to throw the fifth up and pick up the other four and catch the fifth.

* Over the jump - as above except your put you hand vertically on its edge instead of on the ground so it makes it harder :)

* Thread the needle - Same as above except the jacks have to be dropped through a circle made by the thumb and forefinger that is held about 8 inches from the ground. Once all have gone through - pick them up.

* Eggs in the basket - Same as above except the your hand is cupped palm up to form the basket, the jacks have to be placed in the "basket" without clicking, as this will break the eggs

* Catching flies - As 'scatter ones' but the catch must be done with a quick snatching downward movement making it much harder than  the ordinary system of catching with palms upwards.

Other challenges include:

* Down the chute

* In the cave

* Playing golf

* This is the house that jack built - the house that jack built is when you separate your knuckle bones into a square form. Then you go around the square with your finger saying this is the house that jack built then you throw it up in the air catch it and put it in the middle. but if you land in a empty space, your turn is over.

* Camels - Lie the 5 jacks on the ground in a row so there are no gaps between them. Then move the second one to the end, the fourth one to the end and then pick up the second one from the end. Jockey this one onto the back of your hand. Then pick a finger to use and with the jack on the back of your hand move the finger in and out and around the jacks on the ground without touching them or dropping the one on the back of your hand. Once you have weaved through them all, throw the one on the back of your hand into the air and pick up ALL of the others (in one movement), and catch the fifth.

* Picking Apples

* Car Parks

* Boats in the harbour - The same as "Horse in the stable" except hand is flat to the ground with fingers wide apart.

* Cut the cabbage - The same as "catching flies" except instead of a downward swipe, a horizontal swipe is performed when catching the jack - as if a whole cabbage is in front of the player and is being sliced through the middle.

* Flush the Toilet - Like "Big Jingles" except you must hit the ground twice (flush the toilet) each time you throw the knucklebones up.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/09 at 6:06 am

Baseball soccer. Anyone play that? It's like baseball, but with a soccer ball. The Pitcher would roll the soccer ball from the pitching mound, and the *batter* at home plate would kick the ball and then the same rules applied as in baseball.

I think I remember seeing that being played.

Written By: karen on 08/03/09 at 9:26 am

It sounds like kickball (as my daughter explained that game anyway)

We used to play Jacks/Knucklebones - but with these:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/131805178_6617d7fde2.jpg?v=0

we used to play a similar game with 5 clay stones.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/51146-large.jpg

As you can see the game is sometimes called Dibs.  My mum called it snobs and I've also heard it called 5 stones.

I think we just did overhand ones, twos, threes, fours and through the arch.

Written By: Frank on 08/03/09 at 1:00 pm

It is kickball,  :) but back in the 70's we didn't have a name for it, so we called it "baseball/soccer"

Written By: Howard on 08/03/09 at 6:17 pm

we used to play a similar game with 5 clay stones.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/51146-large.jpg

As you can see the game is sometimes called Dibs.  My mum called it snobs and I've also heard it called 5 stones.

I think we just did overhand ones, twos, threes, fours and through the arch.

That looks like a pretty neat game Karen,Is it easy to play?  ???

Written By: karen on 08/03/09 at 6:49 pm

That looks like a pretty neat game Karen,Is it easy to play?  ???

We used to play it all the time as kids, so the rules are pretty easy to understand.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 12:42 pm

I remember those summer days in the early 80's when our neighborhood used to have a block party.Anyone remember those? Man,those were fun.  :)

Written By: nally on 08/04/09 at 1:01 pm

That sounds similar to what I know in the US as "kickball". I often played that at recess in elementary school. However sometimes when I pitched, I would duck whenever the ball was kicked towards me because I was afraid of getting hit by it, especially in the face. Now that I look back on it, I'd wished I'd tried to catch it and/or field it (i.e., throw to first base for the putout).

When I played it in the 5th grade and the 6th grade, we usually had less than nine players on each side (partly because my class was so small), so we would lack a catcher and possible infielders/outfielders. And the side that came up to "bat"; if we got successive singles and there were less than four of us on a team, the kicker who's up would have to leave his/her base, and everybody would move up a base, leaving a "ghost" runner on 1st.
One time when I was in the 6th grade, my team of 3 boys won a game 33-nothing! How did it happen? Well, to start, the first two of us got on base via singles, and the third guy kicked a home run; this cycle repeated 11 times. :D :o (After the 11th cycle, the bell rang.)

It is kickball,  :) but back in the 70's we didn't have a name for it, so we called it "baseball/soccer"

It is often played with a soccer ball too...but I suppose any kind of ball would do. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/04/09 at 11:46 pm

I remember those summer days in the early 80's when our neighborhood used to have a block party.Anyone remember those? Man,those were fun.  :)

I don't think they have block parties in California Howard....well none of the places I've lived anyway... I cant really speak for the whole state  ;)

Written By: Frank on 08/04/09 at 11:48 pm

We had some block parties, but they were in the early 1970s. They were fun.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/09 at 6:42 am

We had some block parties, but they were in the early 1970s. They were fun.

I remember a few in 1981 and 1983 when times were fun and kids like me being a 9 year old was all about enjoying yourself,talking to the neighbors too as you walked up/down the street and having ice cold soda or lemonade during those hot summer days.

Written By: Midas on 08/05/09 at 10:06 am

We had a block party in 1987 for neighbors on our street.  My mom & stepdad let me try some beer.  I was 15.  Good times. :D

Written By: nally on 08/05/09 at 12:00 pm

I don't think they have block parties in California Howard....well none of the places I've lived anyway... I cant really speak for the whole state  ;)

As a life-long Californian, I cannot recall any myself. I just know that I never experienced or witnessed any.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/09 at 1:41 pm

We had a block party in 1987 for neighbors on our street.  My mom & stepdad let me try some beer.  I was 15.  Good times. :D

I didn't have beer at that age.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/05/09 at 7:10 pm

I've been to a few block parties....it's a nice way to get to know your neighbors a little bit.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/06/09 at 5:56 am

I've been to a few block parties....it's a nice way to get to know your neighbors a little bit.   :)

and go on the rides with your friends.

Written By: nally on 08/06/09 at 11:45 am

I've been to a few block parties....it's a nice way to get to know your neighbors a little bit.   :)

We got to know our neighbors in other ways...such as talking to them outside. :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/06/09 at 11:46 am

We used to have those and neighborhood volleyball games. :)

Written By: nally on 08/06/09 at 11:52 am

I love to play volleyball. But I think it's been 5 years since I last played any. It's lotsa fun, though.

There was an episode of Saved By The Bell in which the gang played a game of volleyball against a rival beach club (it was one of those "Malibu Sands" episodes, with Mr Carosi); that one was interesting. 8)

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/09 at 3:25 pm

like that was your first taste  ::)  I bet you faked it well tho right?  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/09 at 3:26 pm

I didn't have beer at that age.

hmmm new topic?

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/09 at 3:32 pm

hmmm new topic?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=37965.new#new

Written By: Howard on 08/06/09 at 5:47 pm

and also that ride that went swinging up and crashed down then went back up again?

Written By: karen on 08/06/09 at 9:18 pm

and also that ride that went swinging up and crashed down then went back up again?

???

Written By: mooster on 08/06/09 at 9:37 pm

Oh ! Another thing we played on were our Billy Carts  8)

http://braingymplayhouse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/dscn3166.JPG

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/09 at 10:16 pm

???

make that double  ??? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/07/09 at 7:09 am

???

I can't think of the name of that amusement park ride that I used to go on. ???

Written By: mooster on 08/07/09 at 7:25 am

Oh ! Another thing we played on were our Billy Carts  8)

http://braingymplayhouse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/dscn3166.JPG

....and cocky lora 1-2-3...and..who could forget backyard cricket (me obviously ;D) ! :D

Written By: nally on 08/07/09 at 12:03 pm

I went on lots of amusement park/carnival rides as a youngster.

Written By: Midas on 08/07/09 at 2:11 pm

I think you're still on it. :D

Written By: Howard on 08/07/09 at 3:30 pm

How about those summer barbeques we used to enjoy the franks,hamburgers,corn,fried chicken and having fun with friends. :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/07/09 at 7:44 pm

How about those summer barbeques we used to enjoy the franks,hamburgers,corn,fried chicken and having fun with friends. :)

I enjoyed those too, whether it was in my own backyard or at a friend's house.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/08/09 at 5:53 am

I enjoyed those too, whether it was in my own backyard or at a friend's house.   :)

What did the food consist of?

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/08/09 at 6:15 am

My favorite was hide-and-seek.  I'd give anything to go back and play that right now!

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/08/09 at 7:07 pm

What did the food consist of?

At my house, it was usually burgers, chicken, and different salads (potato, pasta, etc..).  Anywhere else it varied from hot dogs to burgers to even fish (my former neighbor can really grill up a good salmon!).  :)

Written By: nally on 08/08/09 at 9:59 pm

At my house, it was usually burgers, chicken, and different salads (potato, pasta, etc..).  Anywhere else it varied from hot dogs to burgers to even fish (my former neighbor can really grill up a good salmon!).  :)

ooh that sounds yummy!! :D ;D

As for salmon, we tried cooking one on the barbecue last year for a couple of friends we had over, and it came out really good! :)

Written By: Howard on 08/09/09 at 6:54 am

I remember toasting marshmallows,those were delicious when you have the top of the marshmallow all burnt.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/09/09 at 5:48 pm

My favorite was hide-and-seek.  I'd give anything to go back and play that right now!

I'll play with you!

Written By: snozberries on 08/09/09 at 10:10 pm

I also used to run around with a friend and a toy gun and we'd be Charlie's Angels... we made her brother be Bosley-  He's a bad ass, hard core rapper now and I always threaten to "out" this sordid past on his my space page  ;D

sometimes we'd take the barbies out and play love boat, or chips. depending on the mood.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/10/09 at 7:01 am

How about those hot summer days with the water spray guns?

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/12/09 at 8:20 pm

I remember toasting marshmallows,those were delicious when you have the top of the marshmallow all burnt.

Oooh, those were really good too!  And the s'mores.....love s'mores!!!  :D  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/13/09 at 6:38 am

Oooh, those were really good too!  And the s'mores.....love s'mores!!!  :D  :)

and you had to toast the marshmallows to get them burnt in order to make them stick to the graham crackers.

Check for new replies or respond here...