inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harry Potter - Master Wizard or Lucky Bastard?

Written By: snozberries on 07/16/09 at 4:57 pm

So, you know, 7 hours in line to see the new Harry Potter movie and we had nothing better to do than to discuss this topic.

Here's the thing. When you think about it... Harry's success is usually because someone else has helped him out. When has Harry figured out something on his own?

Hermoine usually handles all the heavy lifing... I mean thinking.
Ron won the Wizard's Chess game in book/movie one
Harry was told how to get to Chamber of Secrets by Moaning Mertle
Someone told Harry how to open the egg and about Dilly Weed
Dumble is forever dropping Harry hints.

Seriously... I'm not sure if he's lucky or smart to surround himself with the people he does... but there are plenty of people in the book far more powerful than Harry.

I still love him tho!!!  :-*

Subject: Re: Harry Potter - Master Wizard or Lucky Bastard?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/16/09 at 5:02 pm

Gets lucky and is in the right place at the right time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/09 at 5:24 pm

Harry, himself said that someone usually helps him and he does get lucky. At the beginning, he was just a kid-didn't even know he was a wizard until he turned 13-so he was at a disadvantage from the beginning. And of course he was only a student in ALL the books-which means he didn't quite know everything he should have when battling Voldemort. Yeah, he wouldn't have learned the patronous charm without Lupin's help but he did it at the age of 15. What about all the witches & wizards who did it before him-they had to learn it somewhere and at what age? He also went on to teach more than half the students at Hogwarts the charm-not an easy feat, I'm sure. Yeah, he has had A LOT of help along the way but he does have the brains to apply what he has learned.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/16/09 at 8:08 pm

Harry, himself said that someone usually helps him and he does get lucky. At the beginning, he was just a kid-didn't even know he was a wizard until he turned 13-so he was at a disadvantage from the beginning. And of course he was only a student in ALL the books-which means he didn't quite know everything he should have when battling Voldemort. Yeah, he wouldn't have learned the patronous charm without Lupin's help but he did it at the age of 15. What about all the witches & wizards who did it before him-they had to learn it somewhere and at what age? He also went on to teach more than half the students at Hogwarts the charm-not an easy feat, I'm sure. Yeah, he has had A LOT of help along the way but he does have the brains to apply what he has learned.

Cat

same could be said for Hermoine tho. She didn't have a head start either. sure she's an over achiever and that helped but even by the later books he's still not all that skilled. I mean he requires lots of assistance.... (and luck)  ;) and yeah he did master the Patronus charm but still - in the grand scheme of things he's helped out more often than he gets himself out of trouble.

Written By: gibbo on 07/16/09 at 10:49 pm

I'm guessing he does whatever is in ........the SCRIPT!  ::)

Written By: Tam on 07/16/09 at 10:52 pm

smartass! ;D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/16/09 at 11:00 pm

smartass! ;D ;D

you say it like its news or something!  ;)

see this is why I always smite you!  :P

Written By: gibbo on 07/17/09 at 12:50 am

smartass! ;D ;D

you say it like its news or something!  ;)

see this is why I always smite you!  :P

....all attention muchly appreciated!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/17/09 at 6:42 am

even in Eqqus.

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/09 at 11:31 am

even in Eqqus.

Harry Potter wasn't in Equus.... Daniel Radcliffe was.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/17/09 at 12:07 pm

Well, since I've only seen the first movie (not sure why I` never got around to seeing the others, I'm sure I'd like them,) I will base my vote on the limited knowledge I have of the series.

I'd say he surrounds himself with good people and he just has some good instincts.  :)  The mark of any good CEO.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/17/09 at 12:46 pm

Cat

I agree with Cat.  He does have good people surrounding him, but he also has a certain amount of talent and ability.  It's a combination of both.  Plus, he CHOOSES to do the right thing.  It's like Dumbledore said in book 2 - "It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/09 at 4:01 pm

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3333/harry20potter201.jpg

Written By: Step-chan on 07/17/09 at 4:07 pm

I remember something like that on one of the Scary Movies.(Might have been the second one) ^

Written By: gibbo on 07/17/09 at 4:09 pm

The prequel in the making ...Harry Potter and the Crazy Horse Boy!

Written By: Howard on 07/17/09 at 6:46 pm

same people.

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/09 at 7:07 pm

same people.

one is a character the other is an actor. I'm talking specifically about the character named Harry Potter.  it has nothing to do with Daniel Radcliffe or the play Equus

Written By: Howard on 07/17/09 at 7:27 pm

one is a character the other is an actor. I'm talking specifically about the character named Harry Potter.  it has nothing to do with Daniel Radcliffe or the play Equus

Ok I thought they were the same.

Written By: SemperYoda on 07/19/09 at 11:34 am

That is the point of the books though.  Harry has goodness and friends surrounding him and most times people can't do everything by themselves.  Harry is the wizard that needs to go up against Voldemort because of chance and through his mother's love.  It is said that it could have been Neville who was the famous wizard.  But who knows how that would have gone.  Like Ash said, it is the choices that Harry makes that are the difference.  All of them are talented in their own ways.  Friends are for helping each other.  Harry needs his friends because they were there to help him get the opportunity to do what he needed to do.  We always knew that Hermoine was smarter and more of a brilliant wizard than the others, but I do not think she had the courage to go up against Voldemort.  Harry needed help along the way, because after all, if he didn't make it to the end then I am pretty sure the others would be in a world of hurt.  Overall, in the end, you see just how important Harry is.  It may be luck because he is young, but as he grew up, it is more than that.  He accepted his role calmly.  He faced the one person that everyone else were too afraid to even say his name.  Dumbledore knew this about Harry.  Not because he was the chosen wizard, but because he knew that Harry as a person, had the heart to see it through to the end.     

Written By: ninny on 07/19/09 at 1:01 pm

That is the point of the books though.  Harry has goodness and friends surrounding him and most times people can't do everything by themselves.  Harry is the wizard that needs to go up against Voldemort because of chance and through his mother's love.  It is said that it could have been Neville who was the famous wizard.  But who knows how that would have gone.  Like Ash said, it is the choices that Harry makes that are the difference.  All of them are talented in their own ways.  Friends are for helping each other.  Harry needs his friends because they were there to help him get the opportunity to do what he needed to do.  We always knew that Hermoine was smarter and more of a brilliant wizard than the others, but I do not think she had the courage to go up against Voldemort.  Harry needed help along the way, because after all, if he didn't make it to the end then I am pretty sure the others would be in a world of hurt.  Overall, in the end, you see just how important Harry is.  It may be luck because he is young, but as he grew up, it is more than that.  He accepted his role calmly.  He faced the one person that everyone else were too afraid to even say his name.  Dumbledore knew this about Harry.  Not because he was the chosen wizard, but because he knew that Harry as a person, had the heart to see it through to the end.     

Very well said ... He faced the one person that everyone else were too afraid to even say his name.  Dumbledore knew this about Harry.  Not because he was the chosen wizard, but because he knew that Harry as a person, had the heart to see it through to the end.    That's it in a nutshell. :)

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/09 at 1:12 pm

ah but he's elevated to this hero status in the community...every one in awe of the great harry potter... but little recognition is thrust upon those who help him... he's always getting credit for something he didn't do... well didn't do on his own.  ;)

Written By: ninny on 07/19/09 at 1:31 pm

ah but he's elevated to this hero status in the community...every one in awe of the great harry potter... but little recognition is thrust upon those who help him... he's always getting credit for something he didn't do... well didn't do on his own.  ;)

Just like in real life where the people behind the scenes are barely recognized, people who push others to greatness. The hero usually appreciates these people, but the masses tend to look beyond them.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/16 at 4:22 pm

Harry is what you would call resourceful. I would also add that it's his fate to live until the end of book seven.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Damn teenagers!  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/11/17 at 10:30 pm

I'm not trying to lure anybody back into this thread, or website, or anything like that. I just love Harry Potter!

I noticed that there's a lot of hate for Hermione in some other forums.  ;D

I love Hermione, but I can also see why some people hate her. She can come off snobbish sometimes. And she can be a hypocrite when it comes to the rules. She's in the top two for my most favorite character in the whole series.

I think there's a 'hate the nerd' trend too, which is why some people hate her.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/17 at 10:09 am

To me, any book after The Cursed Child isn't part of the Harry Potter universe, as far as I'm concerned.

To me, those 8 books should be the 'official' books of the series.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/17 at 10:26 am

I don't believe JK Rowling will ever reach the peaks, and heights, of her success from 1997 to 2007. I mean, many would kill for just half of her book sales. But it's amazing what she did during those ten years.  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/17 at 2:34 pm

To me, any book after The Cursed Child isn't part of the Harry Potter universe, as far as I'm concerned.

To me, those 8 books should be the 'official' books of the series.  :)

There is also Tales of Beetle the Bard, Fantastic Beast and Where To Find Them, & Quidditch Through the Ages. There are also 3 Pottermore ebooks that I JUST found out about. Gotta get them.

There are going to be 2 new books coming out in Oct.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2017/07/19/2-new-harry-potter-books-set-to-be-published-in-october/103821828/

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/17 at 3:02 pm

There is also Tales of Beetle the Bard, Fantastic Beast and Where To Find Them, & Quidditch Through the Ages. There are also 3 Pottermore ebooks that I JUST found out about. Gotta get them.

There are going to be 2 new books coming out in Oct.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2017/07/19/2-new-harry-potter-books-set-to-be-published-in-october/103821828/

Cat

I honestly always thought that J.K. Rowing should have added two more Harry Potter books, so 9 books total, then take a bow like that.  ;D Not with her writing career, but with Harry Potter. Just my opinion, it's not like J.K. is going to follow my advice, or anything like that, or that she should follow anyone's advice.

I felt that the last book (Deathly Hallows) of the school years should have been split into two books instead of one book. Because I felt that Deathly Hallows was kind of rushed, in a sense. And then a 9th book to tie up loose ends.

Check for new replies or respond here...