inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The First World War soon to become history

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/09 at 7:01 am

List of surviving veterans of World War I

With the death today of the last British survivor of the World War I trenches, Harry Patch, at the age of 111 and the death last week of Henry Allingham (aged 113) the First World War is to become history with the last survivors of the war sadly dying.

From the list on wiki only five veterans still survive worldwide.

Claude Stanley Choules (born 3 March 1901) is, at age 108, the last seaman from World War I, and the last veteran in the world to have served in both world wars. Choules is also the youngest remaining WWI veteran, and the last veteran living in Australia.

John Henry Foster "Jack" Babcock (born July 23, 1900) is, at age 109, the last known surviving veteran of the Canadian military to have served in the First World War. Babcock first attempted to join the army at the age of fifteen, but was turned down and sent to work in Halifax until he was placed in the Young Soldiers Battalion in August 1917. Babcock was then transferred to Britain, where he continued his training until the end of the war.

Frank Woodruff Buckles (born February 1, 1901) is, at age 108, the last identified living American veteran of World War I. He currently lives in Charles Town, West Virginia and is the Honorary Chairman of the World War I Memorial Foundation.

Douglas Edward Terrey, (born 23 June 1903) aged 106, United Kingdom  Claimed to have joined up in 1917 as bicycle courier delivering messages in the Southampton Military District. Served in Home Guard in WWII. Lives in Southampton, Hampshire.

Józef Kowalski, (born 2 February 1900) aged 109, Polish-Soviet War veteran. Took part in September Campaign in WWII and later held in concentration camp. Poland's oldest man. Lives in Tursk, near Sulęcin. Debatable on his join-date.

This is a sad day for historians,

Subject: Re: The First World War soon to become history

Written By: Frank on 07/26/09 at 7:46 pm

When I was in junior high. my French teacher told us a true story that he actually was a soldier in WWI (He was 16 and lied about his age). He was about 70 at the time he taught us. he was losing his mind at the time and only taught 1 more year. (He'd forget things often)

Subject: Re: The First World War soon to become history

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/09 at 2:08 am

My Paternal Grandfather was born in 1900 and was rumoured to had fought for King and Country during The Great War, thus making him him under age when he joined up. I do have evidence that he was in his regiment in 1920 to 1924 whe he got married (to my grandmother) in his military uniform, I have a picture somewhere.

There s a wonderful book written on the subject of young boys signing to fight, I will try and find it's title.

Check for new replies or respond here...