inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When a bargain is not a bargain!

Written By: loki 13 on 08/29/09 at 7:04 pm

I've had this discussion with many people, some just don't get it. They go to the store for, say aluminum foil. While there
they see a sign for ice cream, buy one get one free so they pick up the ice cream as well then brag how great a bargain
it was. So I ask, "Did you go there for ice cream?" If the answer is no then it wasn't a bargain at all, you just spent 5 bucks
you didn't intend on spending. The store scammed you for 5 bucks and you think you got a deal. I tell my wife all the time,
"If it's not on your list don't buy it."

The same goes for the Cash For Clunkers program. The people who are driving clunkers are driving them for a reason. They
either don't want or can't afford a car payment so trading in your car for a payment you don't want is not a bargain. There
is another aspect that few people think about when buying a new car. Those clunker drivers had liability insurance only, now
with a new car they need to add full coverage. So now with a car payment they can't afford there is an insurance bill they'll
never be able to pay. Some bargain huh?

Subject: Re: When a bargain is not a bargain!

Written By: gibbo on 08/30/09 at 4:38 am

A lady at work was boasting about the bargains she got on a shopping holiday to Singapore. Even though that was her express reason for going there...I argued that the air fare for her shopping trip negated the alleged savings.... :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 08/30/09 at 5:33 am

A lady at work was boasting about the bargains she got on a shopping holiday to Singapore. Even though that was her express reason for going there...I argued that the air fare for her shopping trip negated the alleged savings.... :-\\

If she was on a holiday anyway then the cost of the air fare doesn't add into it.  If she paid the air fare to specifically to go shopping then you would.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/30/09 at 7:18 am

I have another that makes no sense. A neighbor drove about 8 miles because the gas prices were 11 cents
cheaper than the neighborhood gas stations. How many people do you know that do that? Simple math
tells us this is no bargain at all. Assuming the gas tank is completely empty (and it never is) and most tanks
are 14 gallons; he drove 16 miles round trip to save $1.54. He used more than that getting there and back.

Written By: snozberries on 08/30/09 at 10:16 am

I've had this discussion with many people, some just don't get it. They go to the store for, say aluminum foil. While there
they see a sign for ice cream, buy one get one free so they pick up the ice cream as well then brag how great a bargain
it was. So I ask, "Did you go there for ice cream?" If the answer is no then it wasn't a bargain at all, you just spent 5 bucks
you didn't intend on spending. The store scammed you for 5 bucks and you think you got a deal. I tell my wife all the time,
"If it's not on your list don't buy it."

I consider it a bargain if its something that I would normally buy or have use for.
Like, I was at the store and my favorite peas were on sale for 50 cents a can. normally it cost $1.13.  
I had 3 cans at home already- but I eat them a lot so I bought 6 more cans to store because in the end I saved money.

Written By: goodsin on 08/30/09 at 11:34 am

Supermarkets in the UK have a habit of advertising "reduced" or "half price" goods- when you look into the full price it is much higher than is normally charged, and generally the higher price has been charged at one store for 1 week or something- i.e. they're advertising goods as reduced when often, they aren't. :o Sly so-and-sos....

Written By: snozberries on 08/30/09 at 11:42 am

Supermarkets in the UK have a habit of advertising "reduced" or "half price" goods- when you look into the full price it is much higher than is normally charged, and generally the higher price has been charged at one store for 1 week or something- i.e. they're advertising goods as reduced when often, they aren't. :o Sly so-and-sos....

in the US they put coupons in the sunday paper. typically the stores have raised the rates on these products so its best to clip your coupons but wait a few weeks before using them... it works in your favor if you can wait until the item goes on sale and then use the coupon in conjunction with the sale price.

Written By: gibbo on 08/30/09 at 6:42 pm

I have another that makes no sense. A neighbor drove about 8 miles because the gas prices were 11 cents
cheaper than the neighborhood gas stations. How many people do you know that do that? Simple math
tells us this is no bargain at all. Assuming the gas tank is completely empty (and it never is) and most tanks
are 14 gallons; he drove 16 miles round trip to save $1.54. He used more than that getting there and back.

I keep telling my wife exactly this...and she keeps driving across suburbs because of fuel a few cents cheaper.

Written By: whistledog on 08/30/09 at 7:09 pm

The other day I went to Wal-Mart and got the 1st season of 'thirtysomething' for $39.99.  Without opening it, I went to the nearby mall, and saw it for $34.99.  I almost contemplated getting that one, then going back to Wal-Mart to return the one I bought, but then realized the cost of gas to get me back out there would equal the price I already paid.  That will teach me to shop around before I buy things.

Written By: Midas on 08/30/09 at 11:18 pm

I did not intend to read this thread, but I did and now I want those 3 minutes back.  :D

Written By: snozberries on 08/31/09 at 9:06 am

I did not intend to read this thread, but I did and now I want those 3 minutes back.  :D

;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/31/09 at 11:37 am

Inexpensive haircuts.I went in for a $15 haircut once it ended up costing me $70 because of all the hair care crap they said I needed. :P

Written By: snozberries on 09/20/09 at 2:03 pm

okay so I was a children's clothing store the other day:

a woman wanted to use her 20% off coupon- the stuff she was buying totaled $35 but she had to spend $50 to use the coupon so she picked out another $15 worth of clothing to save $10  ::)

Written By: Gis on 09/22/09 at 9:26 am

okay so I was a children's clothing store the other day:

a woman wanted to use her 20% off coupon- the stuff she was buying totaled $35 but she had to spend $50 to use the coupon so she picked out another $15 worth of clothing to save $10  ::)
Guilty as charged!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/22/09 at 12:27 pm

Inexpensive haircuts.I went in for a $15 haircut once it ended up costing me $70 because of all the hair care crap they said I needed. :P

I guess you didn't read the small print.

Written By: karen on 09/22/09 at 12:54 pm

???

:-\\

Written By: Midas on 09/22/09 at 2:34 pm

???

:-\\

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Midas on 09/22/09 at 2:35 pm

And where would this small print be, o wise one?  :D

Written By: snozberries on 09/22/09 at 2:42 pm

Guilty as charged!  ;D

well stop it!!! your "savings" cost you $5  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/22/09 at 9:43 pm

And where would this small print be, o wise one?   :D

I was just kidding. ;)

Written By: gibbo on 09/22/09 at 10:01 pm

When they advertise something free ... if you spend over a certain amount.  The way I see it is that it's free if I don't have to spend anything. People spend money (usually on something they don't need) just to get the 'free' something.

Nothin's for free!

Written By: Midas on 09/22/09 at 11:27 pm

I was just kidding. ;)

You have a strange sense of humour, sir.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/09 at 5:50 am

You have a strange sense of humour, sir.

Why Thank You.  ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 09/23/09 at 1:10 pm

When they advertise something free ... if you spend over a certain amount.  The way I see it is that it's free if I don't have to spend anything. People spend money (usually on something they don't need) just to get the 'free' something.

Nothin's for free!

I'll be happy to give you my opinions for free anytime!

Written By: Howard on 09/23/09 at 6:41 pm

When you wind up going to a 99 cent store and just about everything is almost over a dollar.

Written By: gibbo on 09/23/09 at 6:45 pm

I'll be happy to give you my opinions for free anytime!

Yes, but are they really free?    You probably expect me to listen!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/23/09 at 7:29 pm

listening costs 50 cents.

Written By: statsqueen on 09/24/09 at 2:51 pm

Yes, my opinions really are free and no, I do not expect you to listen! (Give me some credit! ;) )  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/24/09 at 3:13 pm

Yes, my opinions really are free and no, I do not expect you to listen! (Give me some credit! ;) )   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So the credit is free?

Written By: snozberries on 09/24/09 at 5:17 pm

So the credit is free?

credit from gibbo costs a fortune!

Written By: statsqueen on 09/25/09 at 7:38 am

lol Too true!  ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/25/09 at 6:56 pm

Then I wouldn't go to him for advice.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/09 at 7:14 pm

Then I wouldn't go to him for advice.  ;D

oddly enough we don't we just open a thread and there it is....unsolicted!

Written By: Howard on 09/25/09 at 7:24 pm

oddly enough we don't we just open a thread and there it is....unsolicted!

and you don't need to pay a fee.

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/09 at 7:25 pm

and you don't need to pay a fee.

no, no,  no.... with Gibbo you always pay in the end.... one way or another.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/25/09 at 7:25 pm

no, no,  no.... with Gibbo you always pay in the end.... one way or another.  ;D

pay through the nose?

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/09 at 7:26 pm

pay through the nose?

and up the wazoo  with an arm and a leg  ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/25/09 at 7:26 pm

and up the wazoo  with an arm and a leg  ;)

that doesn't sound good.

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/09 at 7:27 pm

that doesn't sound good.

with gibbo nothing is ever good.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/25/09 at 7:28 pm

and what about you?

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/09 at 7:28 pm

and what about you?

with me it's all good!  8)

Written By: Howard on 09/25/09 at 7:30 pm

with me it's all good!  8)

Thanks. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/09 at 7:30 pm

Thanks. ;)

:)

Written By: gibbo on 09/25/09 at 9:27 pm

Harsh....but possibly true.... :-\\ ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/26/09 at 6:40 am

Harsh....but possibly true.... :-\\ ;D

Hey I'm sure you give good advice. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...