inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Easter traditions

Written By: karen on 09/02/09 at 7:03 pm

A quick straw poll of members following on from a sideline to the discussion 'what is leet?'

What do you do at Easter time?

Subject: Re: Easter traditions

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/02/09 at 11:23 pm

we don't really have any set traditions.  I do go to church, but then I go "almost" every Sunday.  on Easter our Pastor sometimes will do these amazing 3rd person dramas where he is someone from the bible that was around at the time of Jesus's life, crucifixion, and ressurection like a centurion, or an apostle.  his performances are fantastic, he's a great actor, and interjects a good dose of humor with the serious drama. we may have friends over for a nice meal which I prefer other than going out to a crowded restaraunt. Lady Di still puts together a Easter basket with goodies for Julie and it's funny how it was always candy and maybe a beanie baby and nowthat she's older it's candy and makeup or some grown up things. as Christians, my family & I tend to live everyday the same and I feel blessed to have faith, hope, and love in my family. I guess it's known that some people seem to be more Christian on Sunday than the other 6 days of the week  ;D      not me, I'm the same rock n roll lovin' Jesus freak 24/7  8)

Written By: Frank on 09/03/09 at 12:46 am

On Easter Friday ( good Friday) we go to Church and remember the death of Jesus, and on Easter Sunday we go to church and remember the resurrection of Jesus. Sometimes there are some plays, sometimes we get together with people for lunch. We don't do any Easter egg hunts/candy/chocolates, that kind of stuff.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/09 at 7:07 am

We don't celebrate Easter,our Family just eats chocolate eggs.  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/03/09 at 7:34 am

Dinner and Easter candy.

Written By: karen on 09/03/09 at 7:48 am

We don't celebrate Easter,our Family just eats chocolate eggs.  ;D

did you vote?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/09 at 8:40 am

Food, that's what most holidays are about.

Written By: Jessica on 09/03/09 at 11:08 am

Other- usually the night before, Rice and I help the boy dye Easter eggs.  Then I usually make a small basket filled with goodies (not a lot of candy, since the boy doesn't eat that much).  I haven't really gotten into the religious aspect of it yet, but when he's a bit older and understands more, I'll tell him about why it is celebrated.

Then I usually make a nice dinner.  That's about it.

Written By: statsqueen on 09/03/09 at 2:00 pm

We've gone through quite a few traditions in the last 19 years.

When Micah was little, it was Easter at the lake where she and her friend would do an Easter Egg hunt and Mom would make a special (early since we had to drive home) dinner.

As she got older, my parents would still be in FL on Easter, so we developed a new tradition of going back to Buchanan (where I grew up), staying in a motel, going to the church I grew up in on Easter Sunday, then heading home.

2 things about those years stand out:  1) Even when she was 16 or 17 she wanted an Easter egg hunt (the plastic eggs that she filled with candy the night before).  One year we did it, she actually had trouble finding a couple eggs--and there aren't even that many good hiding places in a motel room.  Needless to say, I was very proud of myself.  The other thing is about that same time (so must have been the year after, I'll have to check her wristband), some Chippendale dancers were performing at the motel where we were staying.  So we hung out in the lobby with them.  Very memorable!  The girl who checked us in even put us on the same floor as the ones they were staying on.  Obviously didn't go into the show, but we had fun with the guys while they were waiting to go on stage and then I went into the bar after the show and got all the autographs (the guy running it gave me a discount on the calendars I bought for obtaining said autographs).  And yes, we did go to church the next morning.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/03/09 at 2:13 pm

did you vote?

Now I did.  ;)

Written By: karen on 09/03/09 at 2:17 pm

Now I did.  ;)

Howard  You didn't vote how I expected you to based on your answer above

Written By: Howard on 09/03/09 at 2:18 pm

Howard  You didn't vote how I expected you to based on your answer above

Well I checked off I'm not Christian.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/03/09 at 2:29 pm

many churches will have sunrise services at dawn. Crikey!!! I am not a morning person and never made it to one of those. that's way to friggin early for this boy  :-\\    I expect our close friends will suggest we get together for a dinner and that usually means we cook and they come over  >:(  oh well, I've made a standing rib roast 2 years ago and a nice ham last year.

Written By: karen on 09/03/09 at 4:16 pm

Well I checked off I'm not Christian.

but you didn't vote for eating chocolate

Written By: Midas on 09/08/09 at 1:23 pm

but you didn't vote for eating chocolate

Maybe he's trying to cut back next Easter. :D

We eat chocolate Easter-themed candy, go to church and usually get together with family for a special meal.  This past year we drove down to Tucson and spent the weekend at my brother's girlfriend's mom's place for a big potluck Easter Eve and breakfast.  We had a great time. :)

Written By: Howard on 09/08/09 at 6:21 pm

Maybe he's trying to cut back next Easter. :D

We eat chocolate Easter-themed candy, go to church and usually get together with family for a special meal.  This past year we drove down to Tucson and spent the weekend at my brother's girlfriend's mom's place for a big potluck Easter Eve and breakfast.  We had a great time. :)

My family is trying to cut down on chocolate stuff because my father's blood pressure is sky high but for me I try to hide the chocolate and have it for myself.

Check for new replies or respond here...