inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week #8: The Knack

Written By: Henk on 11/08/09 at 3:56 pm

Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week

Been pondering about this for quite a while now... Finally decided to give it a go.

There are loads of artists and/or songs that IMHO deserve more attention than they're getting. That's why every week (or so) I will be highlighting one such a song/artist in this here thread, with a little background information. The amount of information may vary, depending on the time I have at my disposal and/or whatever I can find on the internet. The featured artist or song could be anything ranging from 1960's to 2000's and from obscure songs to international hits that seem to have gone forgotten. I think most of the time you'll find yourself wondering WTH I'm on about, though, so I'm taking a big risk here.

Nontheless, I hope you'll find it interesting/entertaining, and will leave some comments every now and then (if only for encouragement).
I expect to spend a lot of time on research and translation, so I hope it's not all in vain.

List of featured artists/songs:
#1. Gary Brooker (Nov. 8, 2009)
#2. Murray Head (Nov. 15, 2009)
#3. Jon English (Nov. 22, 2009)
#4. Alides Hidding / Time Bandits (Dec. 14, 2009)
#5. The Mark & Clark Band (Jan. 16, 2010)
#6. Alessi (Brothers) / Barnaby Bye (Jan. 30, 2010)
#7. Kamahl (March 7, 2010)
#8. The Knack (March 27, 2010)  

Subject: Re: Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week

Written By: Henk on 11/08/09 at 3:58 pm

#1. Gary Brooker

As you all know (I assume), Gary Brooker MBE (born 29 May 1945) was (is) the lead singer of rock band Procol Harum. The band had a handful of international hits in the 1960's and 1970's  with songs like "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", "A Salty Dog" and "Homburg".
What you might not know is that after the breakup of the band in 1977, Gary started a solo career - with limited success. About the only country that seemed to take a liking for Brooker's solo efforts was... Holland.  I really don't know why.

During his solo career , he released four albums and ten singles:

Solo albums
1979 | No More Fear of Flying
1982 | Lead Me to the Water
1985 | Echoes in the Night
1996 | Within Our House (live album)

Singles
1979 | "Savannah"
1979 | "Say It Ain't So Joe"
1979 | "No More Fear of Flying"
1980 | "Leave The Candle"
1982 | "Cycle (Let It Flow)"
1982 | "Low Flying Birds"
1982 | "The Angler"
1984 | "The Long Goodbye"
1985 | "Two Fools in Love" (duet with Lori Spee)
1987 | "No news from the Western Frontier" (Ad Visser feat. Gary Brooker)

Other contributions
1985 | "Limelight" (by Alan Parsons Project, on the album Stereotomy)
1999 | "Let There Be Light" (by Ian McDonald, on the album Driver's Eyes)

I can't find any other chart positions for any of the songs, so I'm assuming this is it. If you have additional information, please share it with me.

I wanted to embed one or two videos for the above songs, but sadly, there aren't any available on YouTube. Well, no actual footage/videos of Gary Brooker, that is. So you'll have to do with some home handicrafts instead.

No More Fear Of Flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qHAdiO3Lyw

No News From The Western Frontier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9kyCrGmu0Y

Limelight (Alan Parsons Project)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsmIKpxDy_k

Written By: gibbo on 11/08/09 at 5:18 pm

I think this is an excellent idea Henk (sort of along the lines of ninny's word and pic of the day)....and that is still going strongly!

I'm at work and can't access you tube ....in fact the links don't even show up in the thread (only when I reply to your comment can I see them).  I will check out those lonks when I go hoime tonight...

Cheers

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/09 at 5:37 pm

Cool topic Henk.  I can tell you that in Canada, Gary Brooker had no success outside of Procul Harum.  Here's a bit of interesting trivia though ...

The classic song 'Conquistador', which he co-wrote and performed with Procul Harcum, was recorded in Edmonton with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.  As a result, Procul Harum qualified for Canadian Content, which helped propel the song to #4 on the Top 30 Canadian Content chart and #7 on the Canadian 100 Singles chart in August of 1972

Written By: Henk on 11/10/09 at 4:02 pm

I think this is an excellent idea Henk (sort of along the lines of ninny's word and pic of the day)....and that is still going strongly!

I'm at work and can't access you tube ....in fact the links don't even show up in the thread (only when I reply to your comment can I see them).  I will check out those lonks when I go hoime tonight...

Cheers

Well, did you...? :-\\

Written By: Henk on 11/10/09 at 4:10 pm

Cool topic Henk.  I can tell you that in Canada, Gary Brooker had no success outside of Procul Harum.  

I was afraid that would be the case. Still, one can never be sure.

Here's a bit of interesting trivia though ...

The classic song 'Conquistador', which he co-wrote and performed with Procul Harcum, was recorded in Edmonton with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.  As a result, Procul Harum qualified for Canadian Content, which helped propel the song to #4 on the Top 30 Canadian Content chart and #7 on the Canadian 100 Singles chart in August of 1972

Interesting, indeed.

I wonder, though...What exactly is the point of this CanCon thing (in general)? Does it make a record any better, or cheaper, perhaps? Or is it just some act of chauvinism?  ???

Written By: karen on 11/10/09 at 4:22 pm

I was afraid that would be the case. Still, one can never be sure.

Interesting, indeed.

I wonder, though...What exactly is the point of this CanCon thing (in general)? Does it make a record any better, or cheaper, perhaps? Or is it just some act of chauvinism?  ???

Canadian Radio and Television must air a certain percentage of CanCon per day.  If they don't they probably lose their licence to broadcast.

Written By: Henk on 11/10/09 at 4:28 pm

Canadian Radio and Television must air a certain percentage of CanCon per day.  If they don't they probably lose their licence to broadcast.

So it's basically just a chauvinist thing.

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/09 at 7:36 pm

CANCON was established in 1970 as a way for Canadian Artists and songs to get their voice heard across Canada because at the time, alot of DJs refused to play homegrown content.  CANCON = 35% of a radio's daily playlist, and to qualify does not mean you have to be a Canadian Artist, so alot of DJs use this loophole to play songs written by Canadians, but not performed by one.

A prime example is 'This Flight Tonight' by Nazareth.  It was written by Joni Mitchell and I hear it atleast twice a day on the radio LOL

Written By: Henk on 11/11/09 at 3:43 pm

CANCON was established in 1970 as a way for Canadian Artists and songs to get their voice heard across Canada because at the time, alot of DJs refused to play homegrown content.  CANCON = 35% of a radio's daily playlist, and to qualify does not mean you have to be a Canadian Artist, so alot of DJs use this loophole to play songs written by Canadians, but not performed by one.

A prime example is 'This Flight Tonight' by Nazareth.  It was written by Joni Mitchell and I hear it atleast twice a day on the radio LOL

So much for freedom of speech! ::)

Written By: Frank on 11/11/09 at 3:55 pm

This is probably the most played Nazareth song in Canada, agreed
Probably why when I grew up in the early 70s, we heard a lot of Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, Guess Who, April Wine, because of this Canadian Content rule.
Even when a friend of mine was DJ at a University of the early 80s, same rules applied. He had to play a certain % of Canadian content

Written By: Henk on 11/15/09 at 1:08 am

#2. Murray Head

Now how did I get from Gary Brooker to Murray Head? Easy: a song called "Say It Ain't So Joe". Written by Murray Head, performed by many (including Gary Brooker and Roger Daltrey). It made me realize how little I know about Murray Head. That's why.

Murray Head was born in London on 5 March 1946 to Seafield Head, a documentary maker, and Helen Shingler, an actress. He began writing songs as a child, but had limited success until asked by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber to play Judas Iscariot on the original concept album version of Jesus Christ Superstar (singing the hit "Superstar"). Head also won a leading role in the Oscar nominated film Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971).
Despite those successes, he received little public attention for the next decade or so (apart from the 1975 release of "Say It Ain't So Joe") until he resurfaced in 1984 as the American on the concept album for the musical Chess. This would spawn him the international hit "One Night In Bangkok". It would also be the last time Head appeared in the limelight prominently. After "Chess", he's not had any international successes and his recordings failed to reach the public.

Albums
1972 | Nigel Lived
1975 | Say It Ain't So
1979 | Between Us
1981 | Voices
1981 | Find the Crowd
1983 | Shade
1984 | Restless
1987 | Sooner or Later
1990 | Watching Ourselves Go By
1992 | Wave
1993 | Innocence
1995 | When You're in Love
1995 | Pipe Dreams
2000 | Innocence (revised edition of Wave)
2002 | Passion
2005 | Emotions, My Favourite Songs
2007 | Tête à Tête
2008 | Rien n'est écrit

Singles (Highlights)
1970 | "Superstar"
1975 | "Say It Ain't So Joe"
1979 | "Sorry I Love You"
1985 | "One Night In Bangkok"

Trivia
Murray Head appears on the album cover of The Smiths' compilation album Stop Me , taken from a still of the film The Family Way.

Murray's younger brother Anthony played the part of Rupert Giles on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and has had recurring roles in Little Britain (as Michael Stevens and Prime Minister ).

Superstar (with the Trinidad Singers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kycbh-mbErs

Say It Ain't So Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXNf7iuxgcQ

Bangkok / One Night In Bangkok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G_kWOvBRIU

Subject: Re: Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week #2: Murray Head

Written By: gibbo on 11/15/09 at 2:33 am

I didn't realize Murray Head sang Superstar! I only knew about One Night In Bangkok (which I liked when I heard it on the radio back then)..

Written By: Howard on 11/15/09 at 6:35 am

I remember Murray Head had a one hit wonder with One Night In Bangkok in 1985.

Written By: Henk on 11/15/09 at 9:50 am

I remember Murray Head had a one hit wonder with One Night In Bangkok in 1985.

No, he wasn't a OHW in US. Not by any standards. Note that "Superstar" reached #14.

Written By: Henk on 11/15/09 at 9:53 am

I didn't realize Murray Head sang Superstar! I only knew about One Night In Bangkok (which I liked when I heard it on the radio back then)..

You learn a little every day. That's one of the reasons I started this thread.

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/09 at 3:59 pm

The success of Murray Head in Canada was similar to that in the States, but there was a little more ...

1970 - Superstar
1971 - Superstar <re-issue>
1971 - Superstar <re-chart>
1985 - One Night in Bangkok

And yes, you are seeing that right about 'Superstar'.  It entered the chart on January 10, 1970 at #68 and peaked at #33 on February 28. 

On January 30, 1971, it re-appeared in the chart at #100 and rose to #43 on March 6, before slipping to #63 on March 20, 1971 (it's supposed last chart appearance)

Then on May 15, it re-entered the chart for it's third time, entering at #57 and then rose to #6 on June 12, 1971.  It eventually became the 100th best selling single in Canada of 1971!

In 1985, 'One Night in Bangkok' was covered by Canadian singer Louise Robey (credited only as Robey) and her version, despite not charting in Canada, and just barely making the US Hot 100, reached the Top 10 of the US dance chart.  It's not a great version, but it does have it's catchy moments ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RulnxJLmBrA

Written By: Henk on 11/15/09 at 4:11 pm

The success of Murray Head in Canada was similar to that in the States ...

1971 - Superstar
1985 - One Night in Bangkok

Though 'Superstar' peaked at #6, there was a little more to it ... It originally peaked at #34 in February of 1970, then re-charted at #43 in March of 1971 before falling out of the chart very fast.  Then in May of 1971, it re-entered the chart for it's third time, entering at #57 and then rose to #6 on June 12, 1971.  It became the 100th best selling single in Canada of 1971!

See... if it wasn't for you, I'd never have known that. Thanks for sharing!

MTA:
I see you've swiftly modified your original post while I was typing...

In 1985, 'One Night in Bangkok' was covered by Canadian singer Louise Robey (credited only as Robey) and her version, despite not charting in Canada, and just barely making the US Hot 100, reached the Top 10 of the US dance chart.  It's not a great version, but it does have it's catchy moments ...

That's putting it mildly. I think it's terrible!

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/09 at 4:14 pm

See... if it wasn't for you, I'd never have known that. Thanks for sharing!

MTA:
I see you've swiftly modified your original post while I was typing...

That's putting it mildly. I think it's terrible!

I edited it again.  I messed up the chart positions LOL

Written By: Silver Power on 11/15/09 at 5:13 pm

I think that One Night In Bangkok has a lot of potential in terms of songwriting, because the melody is amazing, especially for the chorus.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/15/09 at 5:55 pm

Henk, for spotlighting one of the most underrate singers/song writters of the 80's, your're my hero.

8)

Written By: Paul on 11/16/09 at 6:56 am

I think that One Night In Bangkok has a lot of potential in terms of songwriting, because the melody is amazing, especially for the chorus.

Considering the melody was written by the guys who wrote Abba's mighty cannon of songs, that's hardly surprising!

The oblique words were by Tim Rice, who also supplied the words to Jesus Christ Superstar...

And just for completeness' sake, 'Superstar' did chart in Britain...at a lowly #47 for a solitary week!

Written By: Henk on 11/16/09 at 1:18 pm

Henk, for spotlighting one of the most underrate singers/song writters of the 80's, your're my hero.

8)

Thank you, Jamie. :) You made me feel somewhat dumbfounded. Nothing heroic about that. ;D

Written By: Henk on 11/16/09 at 1:21 pm

The oblique words were by Tim Rice, who also supplied the words to Jesus Christ Superstar...

Hardly coincidental Murray Head scored twice with his lyrics.

And just for completeness' sake, 'Superstar' did chart in Britain...at a lowly #47 for a solitary week!

Wow. I'm in shock.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/16/09 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, Jamie. :) You made me feel somewhat dumbfounded. Nothing heroic about that. ;D

Your welcome.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/09 at 4:34 pm

What Was "One Night In Bangkok" about?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 11/16/09 at 6:51 pm

What Was "One Night In Bangkok" about?  ???

Bangkok's moral corruption and comparative glorification of the intellectual purity of chess

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/16/09 at 7:12 pm

I have the album of U.S. cast of Chess with Philip Casnoff singing One Night in Bangkok. I also have a copy of the Murray Head version of the song. Even though Philip did it outstanding but I think Murray did it just a bit better.

(Yup, the 3rd version of the song posted on this thread. lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJ_jYhwpv0

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/17/09 at 5:32 am

Bangkok's moral corruption and comparative glorification of the intellectual purity of chess

I thought it was a good video and veery descriptive.

Written By: Henk on 11/17/09 at 3:49 pm

I have the album of U.S. cast of Chess with Philip Casnoff singing One Night in Bangkok. I also have a copy of the Murray Head version of the song. Even though Philip did it outstanding but I think Murray did it just a bit better.

(Yup, the 3rd version of the song posted on this thread. lol)

Cat

Oh, it's better than that Robey version, that's for sure. But it sounds too... clinical, by lack of a better description. I don't like the orchestration either. Sorry. :(

Written By: karen on 11/17/09 at 8:01 pm

I can still recall my dad's remark upon first hearing One Night in Bangkok.

"Is that all he does, talks over the music?"  ;D

He probably thinks that about all rap!

Written By: Howard on 11/18/09 at 6:35 am

THE AMERICAN]
Bangkok, Oriental setting
And the city don't know that the city is getting
The creme de la creme of the chess world in a
Show with everything but Yul Brynner

Time flies -- doesn't seem a minute
Since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it
All change -- don't you know that when you
Play at this level there's no ordinary venue

It's Iceland -- or the Philippines -- or Hastings -- or --
or this place!

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
And if you're lucky then the god's a she
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One town's very like another
When your head's down over your pieces, brother

It's a drag, it's a bore, it's really such a pity
To be looking at the board, not looking at the city

Whaddya mean? Ya seen one crowded, polluted, stinking town --

Tea, girls, warm, sweet
Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite

Get Thai'd! You're talking to a tourist
Whose every move's among the purest
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Siam's gonna be the witness
To the ultimate test of cerebral fitness
This grips me more than would a
Muddy old river or reclining Buddha

And thank God I'm only watching the game -- controlling it --

I don't see you guys rating
The kind of mate I'm contemplating
I'd let you watch, I would invite you
But the queens we use would not excite you

So you better go back to your bars, your temples, your massage
parlours --

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
A little flesh, a little history
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/18/09 at 11:33 am

This discussion was supposed to be about Murray Head and it has turned into a discussion about the song "One Night in Bangkok."  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Henk on 11/18/09 at 2:34 pm

This discussion was supposed to be about Murray Head and it has turned into a discussion about the song "One Night in Bangkok."  :-\\

Cat

't Is okay. At least we're still discussing... ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/18/09 at 3:02 pm

Cat

Why? I just wanted to post the lyrics to make sure people understand what the song is about. ???

Subject: Re: Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week #3: Jon English

Written By: Henk on 11/22/09 at 9:34 am

#3. Jon English

From Murray Head to Jon English is really just a small step: both men starred as Judas Iscariot in "Jesus Christ Superstar". Murray played the part in UK, whilst Jon featured in the Australian version.
The funny thing is: I already planned on featuring Jon English for this week's edition, before I found out about this. Just a coincidence..?

Jon English may very well be Australia's best kept secret, even though his success wasn't limited to his home country. English is an Australian singer, actor, musician and writer. He was born in London (another thing he shares with Murray Head) on 26 March 1949, but moved to Australia with his parents in 1961. Australians may remember him as an early vocalist and rhythm guitarist for Sebastian Hardie, but he left to take on the role of Judas Iscariot in the Australian version of  Jesus Christ Superstar from May 1972, which was broadcast on television.
English is also a noted solo singer, his Australian top twenty hit singles include "Turn the Page", "Hollywood Seven", "Words are Not Enough", "Six Ribbons" and "Hot Town".
He was acclaimed for his starring role in the 1978 Australian TV series Against The Wind, which won him the TV Week Logie Award for 'Best New Talent in Australia'. He also co-wrote and performed the score with Mario Millo  The series had international release, known as Mot alla vindar (1980) in Scandinavia, where both "Six Ribbons" and "Against the Wind" were released as singles. Both singles and the soundtrack album peaked at #1 on the Norwegian charts; "Six Ribbons" and the album, peaked at #4 on the Swedish charts.
English has also performed in the Gilbert & Sullivan operettas The Pirates of Penzance, The Mikado and H.M.S. Pinafore from 1984.

Discography

Albums
Various Artists
1972 | Jesus Christ Superstar - Original Australian Cast Recording
1974 | Ned Kelly - Original Cast Recording

Solo Albums
1973 | Wine Dark Sea
1974 | It's All a Game
1976 | Hollywood Seven
1977 | Minutes to Midnight
1978 | Words Are Not Enough
1978 | English History
1980 | Calm Before the Storm
1981 | InRoads
1982 | Beating the Boards
1983 | Some People...
1987 | Dark Horses
1988 | The Busker aka Busking
1990 | Paris
1993 | 20th Anniversary Album
2000 | Buskers and Angels
2001 | English History II

Jon English & Mario Miller
1978 | Against the Wind aka Mot alla vindar  

Jon English & Marcia Hines
1982 | Jokers and Queens

Singles
1973 | "Handbags and Gladrags"
1975 | "Turn the Page"
1975 | "Lovin' Arms"
1976 | "Laid Back in Anger" (with Trevor White)
1976 | "Hollywood Seven"
1978 | "Words Are Not Enough"
1979 | "Six Ribbons" (with Mario Miller)
1979 | "Get Your Love Right"
1980 | "Hot Town"
1980 | "Carmilla"
1982 | "Jokers and Queens"
1984 | "Every Beat of My Heart" (with Renée Gever)
1987 | "Lover Please" (with Renée Gever)
1993 | "All Together Now"

Filmography (selective)
1972 |  Jesus Christ Superstar TV broadcast, as self / Judas Iscariot
1978 | Against The Wind 13 episode TV mini-series, as main character Jonathan Garrett
1980 | Touch and Go film, as Frank Butterfield
1991-1993 | All Together Now 101 episode TV series, as main character Bobby Rivers
1994 | The Pirates of Penzance; TV broadcast of theatre performance

Stage and theatre works (selective)
1972-1974, 1975, 1979 | Jesus Christ Superstar 700+ performances as Judas Iscariot
1984-1986 | Pirates of Penzance as Pirate King
1987 | Rasputin as Rasputin
1994 | The Pirates of Penzance as Pirate King
1995-1996 | The Mikado as Pooh-Bah
1997 | H.M.S. Pinafore as Dick Deadeye1
1998-1999 | A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
2003 | Paris (co-writer with David Mackay)
2004 | Dad's Army as Sergeant Wilson

Superstar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvhcedfEC8

Hollywood Seven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298OsuFbOu0

Words Are Not Enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CphJCPBxIo

Six Ribbons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9W5lQNFb-M

Written By: gibbo on 11/22/09 at 3:19 pm

Ahhh...Jon English. I had no idea he had some Scandinavian success!  I had the opportunity to see him in Jesus Christ Superstar...and declined that offer. I regret that decision as I really got into that music shortly after... :-\\

I have never seen him perform even though I always liked him. Actually, I DID see him in Pirates of Penzance....and was comically great!

Had some big tunes in the 70's and an unusual rough sounding voice. He also was a scary looking dude!  :o  I guess he fell into the same category as The Great Barrier Reef and John Farnham......figured they'd always be there and I'd get around to seeing them one day!  :-\\  Well, they're all three still there ...so maybe next year.  ;)

Written By: Henk on 11/22/09 at 3:43 pm

Had some big tunes in the 70's and an unusual rough sounding voice. He also was a scary looking dude!  :o   I guess he fell into the same category as The Great Barrier Reef and John Farnham......figured they'd always be there and I'd get around to seeing them one day!  :-\\  Well, they're all three still there ...so maybe next year.  ;)

I can tell you that he still IS a scary looking dude! ;D

I don't think he'll be coming to Brisbane (or Brisbane area) this year or the next, but be sure to check the Gig Guide for updates.

Sadly, Jon English had no success in Holland whatsoever. His song "Hollywood Seven" however was covered by Dutch singer Alides Hidding, who took it to #25 in Dutch Top 40.

Written By: mooster on 11/23/09 at 2:16 am

I love Jon English and I actually got to see him in his role as Judas (I was very young mind :D) - I've also seen him live. He's very imposing ! :o ;D

Do yourself a favour Peter  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 11/23/09 at 3:18 pm

I love Jon English and I actually got to see him in his role as Judas (I was very young mind :D) - I've also seen him live. He's very imposing ! :o ;D

Do yourself a favour Peter  ;)

You must have been only about 12 or 13 at that time....

Written By: Silver Power on 11/23/09 at 3:24 pm

Never heard of him.

Written By: gibbo on 11/23/09 at 6:29 pm

Never heard of him.

That's a valid comment...... 

Henk, how did you come up with Jon English as your subject when only the Aussies may have heard of him? I'm interested because you advised he didn't have any Dutch hits!  :o

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/09 at 7:25 pm

Can't say as I've heard of him either.  Zero success for him in Canada

Written By: mooster on 11/24/09 at 1:30 am

You must have been only about 12 or 13 at that time....

Actually I was 7 in 1972  ;D

Can't say as I've heard of him either.  Zero success for him in Canada

No worries - he had plenty here to keep him in socks and undies !

Written By: gibbo on 11/24/09 at 3:28 pm

Actually I was 7 in 1972  ;D

No worries - he had plenty here to keep him in socks and undies !

I had in my mind that the stage show was in 1977-78....but my memory must be playing tricks on me! Old people eh...what can you do with us?  ;D

Written By: Henk on 11/24/09 at 4:35 pm

That's a valid comment...... 

Henk, how did you come up with Jon English as your subject when only the Aussies may have heard of him? I'm interested because you advised he didn't have any Dutch hits!  :o

Does this answer your question..?

Sadly, Jon English had no success in Holland whatsoever. His song "Hollywood Seven" however was covered by Dutch singer Alides Hidding, who took it to #25 in Dutch Top 40.

At the time (1980), I had no idea it was a cover version, but I did like it. ...Until I heard the original version, that is, and realized how much Hidding had butchered the song. ;D

Alides Hidding went on to form the Time Bandits...but that is an entirely different story.

Written By: gibbo on 11/24/09 at 5:54 pm

Does this answer your question..?

At the time (1980), I had no idea it was a cover version, but I did like it. ...Until I heard the original version, that is, and realized how much Hidding had butchered the song. ;D

Alides Hidding went on to form the Time Bandits...but that is an entirely different story.

Sorry Henk...I should have oicked up on that... :-\\  So...you preferred the Jon English version?  I'll see if the Dutch artists version is on youtube...

Written By: mooster on 11/25/09 at 1:57 am

I had in my mind that the stage show was in 1977-78....but my memory must be playing tricks on me! Old people eh...what can you do with us?  ;D

'Us' ?  :D ;)

Written By: gibbo on 11/25/09 at 3:11 pm

'Us' ?  :D ;)

Sorry...I stand corrected. I meant to say .....YOU!!!!  :P

Written By: Henk on 11/30/09 at 7:35 am

Sorry people... No new artist/song this week. Still not feeling up to it.

Written By: gibbo on 11/30/09 at 2:39 pm

Sorry to hear you are still feeling low Henk. Hope you recover soon...

Written By: Howard on 11/30/09 at 4:31 pm

Hope you feel better soon.

Subject: Re: Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week #4: Alides Hidding / Time Bandits

Written By: Henk on 12/14/09 at 4:35 pm

#4. Alides Hidding / Time Bandits

Time Bandits were a Dutch band from the 1980s, best known for their song "Endless Road," which was played extensively in Europe
The band was formed in 1981 by Alides Hidding, who wrote all songs and sang lead vocals. The band's four albums made the charts all over the world, establishing a presence on the American music scene by topping the dance charts with the #1 dance hit "Live It Up".
By the mid-1980s, Time Bandits was achieving great success as far away as Australia, where "I'm Only Shooting Love" and "Endless Road" (where its music video was filmed) were both Top 10 hits and are now widely considered '80s classics. These singles and other hits such as "Listen To The Man With The Golden Voice", "Dancing On A String" and "I'm Specialized In You" were also successful in the Netherlands, Germany, France and New Zealand (where "I'm Only Shooting Love" hit number one in June 1984).
The release of the band's fourth album in 1987 also marked the beginning of the end for the band. All songs had been written by Alides Hidding and Dan Hartman, and the then members of the band were in disagreement. Subsequently, Hidding had them all replaced, but the damage was done - more so when the album failed to spawn any real hits. A disappointed Hidding disbanded the Time Bandits in 1989, and applied himself to song writing. 
Alides Hidding reformed Time Bandits in 1996, with a complete change in line-up, and started touring again. As of late, he's performing as a solo artist, still singing his 1980's successes.

Albums:
1982 | Time Bandits
1983 | Tracks
1985 | Fiction
1987 | Can't Wait For Another World
1987 | Looking Out, Live It Up, Power e.a.
1990 | Greatest Hits
2003 | As Life

Singles:

Alides Hidding (solo):
1980 | "Hollywood Seven"
2008 | "Live It Up" (Johan Gielen vs. Time Bandits)

Time Bandits:
1981 | "Live It Up"
1982 | "Sister Paradise"
1982 | "I'm Specialized In You"
1983 | "Listen To The Man With The Golden Voice"
1983 | "I'm Only Shooting Love"
1984 | "Reach Out"
1985 | "Endless Road"
1985 | "Dancing On A String"
1986 | "Only A Fool"
1986 | "I Won't Steal Away"
1987 | "Star"
1987 | "We'll Be Dancing"
1987 | "Wildfire"
1988 | "Can't Wait For Another World"
1996 | "I'm Specialized In You" (reissue)

Hollywood Seven - Alides Hidding (no video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzeN8xaYY4o

Live It Up - Time Bandits (no video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzB_yJJVrQ

I'm Specialized In You - Time Bandits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4God0lc0244

I'm Only Shooting Love - Time Bandits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1B_rLIUeWI

Endless Road - Time Bandits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHxtufNoDmk

I Won't Steal Away - Time Bandits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSN7OJPnoxI

Written By: Henk on 12/17/09 at 1:56 pm

Nobody's interested...? :-\\

Written By: gibbo on 12/18/09 at 4:53 am

Nobody's interested...? :-\\

Not true!  :)  I liked the Time Bandits. I can see what you mean about the cover done of Hollywood Seven!  ;D  I much prefer Jon English's more gutsy vocals on that one.  But the TB's really hit their straps  from '82 to '85. I hadn't heard some of those tunes before (unsure if they were hits over here). I liked  "I'm Specialized In You"...

Of course, "Shooting Love" and " Endless Road" were big hits over here. I think I may have mentioned in a previous thread (when you mentioned Alides and the TB's), that Endless Road was shot just north of Brisbane...not far from Steve Erwin's 'Australia Zoo' (with our Glasshouse Mountains in the background). They even visited the 'Big Pineapple (saw it in the clip)...

They were a classic 80's sounding band whose music still stands up really well today.  Another Dutch band I liked...

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/09 at 4:44 pm

I am very interested in the Time Bandits.  I like their songs, but my favourite will always be 'I'm Only Shooting Love'.

It was a big club hit in Canada and I first heard it on a 1984 Canadian collection called Can't Stop Dancin' - Volume II, which remains one of my all-time favourite albums.

Written By: Henk on 12/18/09 at 5:15 pm

Not true!   :)   I liked the Time Bandits. I can see what you mean about the cover done of Hollywood Seven!  ;D  I much prefer Jon English's more gutsy vocals on that one.  But the TB's really hit their straps  from '82 to '85. I hadn't heard some of those tunes before (unsure if they were hits over here). I liked  "I'm Specialized In You"...

Of course, "Shooting Love" and " Endless Road" were big hits over here. I think I may have mentioned in a previous thread (when you mentioned Alides and the TB's), that Endless Road was shot just north of Brisbane...not far from Steve Erwin's 'Australia Zoo' (with our Glasshouse Mountains in the background). They even visited the 'Big Pineapple (saw it in the clip)...

They were a classic 80's sounding band whose music still stands up really well today.  Another Dutch band I liked...

I am very interested in the Time Bandits.  I like their songs, but my favourite will always be 'I'm Only Shooting Love'.

It was a big club hit in Canada and I first heard it on a 1984 Canadian collection called Can't Stop Dancin' - Volume II, which remains one of my all-time favourite albums.

Thanks guys. :) You've just restored my faith in mankind. ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/20/09 at 6:25 pm

I really dig this thread, Henk.  Keep em' coming  :)

Written By: Henk on 01/15/10 at 5:14 pm

Sorry people... I haven't felt the inspiration/motivation to update this thread lately.

Subject: Re: Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week #5: The Mark & Clark Band

Written By: Henk on 01/16/10 at 10:07 am

#5. The Mark & Clark Band

One hit wonders in Holland, completely unknown to the rest of the world – that’s the Mark & Clark Band in a nutshell.
The ‘band’ consists of twin brothers Mark and Clark Seymour (both on piano). I’ve no information on their background (POB, DOB etc.) They perform in bars and clubs since the 1960’s with their classical inspired musica extravaganza. Somewhere in the 1970’s they were inspired enough to record an album (‘Double Take’), and a single (‘Worn Down Piano’) was released. Both went completely unnoticed in the US. Apparently, nobody took a liking for the brothers’ bombastic style of music.
But then somehow the single made it to Holland, where it soon found its way to the charts. Eventually it stalled at #8 in Dutch Top 40 in 1977, but it has remained a popular tune ever since (in spite of its lengthy 8’10”!).

The brothers still live together, and still perform together. They are also still amazed at their success and popularity in Holland.

Albums:
1977 | Double Take

Singles:
1977 | "Worn Down Piano"
n/a    | "Jigsaw Woman"

Trivia:
Paul Shaffer, now famous for the Late Show with David Letterman, is credited playing the keyboard on ‘Worn Down Piano’. He contributed to the ‘Double Take’ album as a whole as well.

Worn Down Piano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNGdzFqbO4s

A Drinking Man’s Concerto (As Carnegie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbm4gxANsUY

Recent ‘interview’ with the brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBZWWhUBIkg

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/10 at 3:29 pm

Catchy little rock song, but man that 'Double Take' is a bad album cover.  The way they are looking up with their mouths open, I almost want to photoshop in a bird putting worms in their mouths :D

Written By: Henk on 01/16/10 at 3:47 pm

Catchy little rock song, but man that 'Double Take' is a bad album cover.  The way they are looking up with their mouths open, I almost want to photoshop in a bird putting worms in their mouths :D

This may explain why the album wasn't very successful... :D

Written By: gibbo on 01/17/10 at 12:37 am

I don't mind those songs at all.  :)  I have certainly never heard them previously.  I was surprised to see they were Americans (judging by accents) ... and managed to jag a hit song in Holland!  I wonder if any other countries caught on to them at all... :-\\

Written By: Henk on 01/17/10 at 1:02 am

I don't mind those songs at all.  :)  I have certainly never heard them previously.  I was surprised to see they were Americans (judging by accents) ... and managed to jag a hit song in Holland!  I wonder if any other countries caught on to them at all... :-\\

Yes, they're American, although some sources have them mistaken for Australians. They are not related to Nick Seymour (of Crowded House) and Mark Seymour (of Hunters & Collectors).

And as far as I know, Holland was the only country that caught on to them (tho' only for one song). It's one of life's little mystery's...

Written By: karen on 01/19/10 at 10:30 am

There is a Mark and Clark website out there.  They claim that Worn Down Piano went to number in several European countries

Written By: Henk on 01/19/10 at 3:22 pm

There is a Mark and Clark website out there.  They claim that Worn Down Piano went to number in several European countries

What I'd like to know is: which European countries exactly? Why aren't they mentioned? Probably because it isn't true.

They also claim "Jigsaw Woman" made it into the Billboard Top 40 in America. But I can't find any proof of that on the Allmusic site.

Which leads me to believe those 'facts' are slight exaggerations.

"They were contacted by the CBS organization in the Netherlands, to film a special TV show there for New Year's Eve 2008. The reason being, that they were still in the top 100 of the charts over there, with their hit CBS song: “The Worn Down Piano”, from their hit CBS album in the 70's: “DoubleTake”.

Yes, they were in the Top 100 - but not Top 100 of the weekly charts! Just some once-a-year list of all time favorites, compiled by listeners to a specific radio station.

Written By: Henk on 01/30/10 at 11:27 am

#6. Alessi (Brothers) / Barnaby Bye

From one set of identical twins to another: Billy and Bobby Alessi, born July 12, 1953 in Long Island, New York. Their trademarks: a mix of jazz, soul and pop music, and Bobby’s high falsetto vocals.
The two started their career in a band (that they formed themselves) called Barnaby Bye in the late 1960’s. In the mid-1970’s they (also) pursued a career as a duo. This lead to their international breakthrough, although their claim to fame is primarily based on one hit single (“Oh Lori”, 1977).
I’m not sure if the brothers ever really wanted to be in the limelight. Fact is, that they haven’t had any international success other than the aforementioned “Oh Lori”.
The two went on to become successful song writers instead (for Paul McCartney, Christopher Cross, Frankie Valli, Michael McDonald and Whitney Houston, to name but a few). They also wrote film music ( for “The Main Event” and “Ghostbusters”), but their biggest successes so far have come from commercials. You might remember the Ford commercial (Caught You Lookin'), or the Twix’ one,  and they also did McDonalds, KFC and Seven Up. Billy is the composer of the theme music to the Diet-Coke commercial.

As a duo, the brothers released 8 albums that sold millions worldwide. With Barnaby Bye, they released another three albums. They still perform, both as a duo and with the band.

Albums:

Barnaby Bye:
n/a  | Room To Grow
n/a  | Touch
n/a  | Thrice Upon A Time

Alessi (Brothers):
1977 | Alessi 
1978 | All For A Reason
1978 | Driftin’
1979 | Words And Music
1982 | Long Time Friends
2003 | Hello Everyone
2006 | Just Like That
2009 | Live! All Our Life

Singles:

Alessi (Brothers)
1977 | “Don’t Hold Back”
1977 | “Oh Lori”
1978 | “All For A Reason”
1978 | “Driftin’”
1982 | “Put Away Your Love”

Other Credited Contributions
1984 | “Saving The Day” (vocals and composition), Ghostbusters OST
n/a    | Milk And Honey – John Lennon & Yoko Ono (backing vocals)
n/a    | Fate For Breakfast – Art Garfunkel (backing vocals)
n/a    | Hard To Hold – Rick Springfield (backing vocals)
n/a    | The Main Event OST (backing vocals on album and single)

Trivia
Both Bobby and Billy played in one of the earliest versions of the Broadway musical “Hair”.

Oh Lori – Alessi Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIFeq4x_2Xc

All For A Reason – Alessi Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OgVGWbcP9Y

Driftin’ – Alessi Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz781SRVPGk

Can’t Live This Way – Barnaby Bye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIy2-xaxQU

Written By: Henk on 01/30/10 at 11:49 am

From one set of identical twins to another: Billy and Bobby Alessi, born July 12, 1953 in Long Island, New York. Their trademarks: a mix of jazz, soul and pop music, and Bobby’s high falsetto vocals.
The two started their career in a band (that they formed themselves) called Barnaby Bye in the late 1960’s. In the mid-1970’s they (also) pursued a career as a duo. This lead to their international breakthrough, although their claim to fame is primarily based on one hit single (“Oh Lori”, 1977).
I’m not sure if the brothers ever really wanted to be in the limelight. Fact is, that they haven’t had any international success other than the aforementioned “Oh Lori”.
The two went on to become successful song writers instead (for Paul McCartney, Christopher Cross, Frankie Valli, Michael McDonald and Whitney Houston, to name but a few). They also wrote film music ( for “The Main Event” and “Ghostbusters”), but their biggest successes so far have come from commercials. You might remember the Ford commercial (Caught You Lookin'), or the Twix’ one,  and they also did McDonalds, KFC and Seven Up. Billy is the composer of the theme music to the Diet-Coke commercial.

FYI: I don't know any of these commercials. I HAVE tried to find them (on YouTube) but since I've no idea what to look for... :-\\

Subject: Re: Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week #6: Alessi Brothers / Barnaby Bye

Written By: gibbo on 01/30/10 at 2:07 pm

I really like these boys sound. Hadn't heard of them back in the 70's ...but my wife (who was at boarding school in England in the late 70's) showed me "Oh Lori" on youtube last year.

Bobby has a great falsetto and their voices blend nicely together.

Written By: Paul on 01/31/10 at 12:21 pm

'Oh Lori' is one of those songs that a sizeable portion of people of a certain age will know, but won't remember the artist!

Some people would wonder why it became a hit right in the middle of the punk explosion, but this is the sort of thing mainstream radio would have lapped up at the time!

A nice, inoffensive use of three minutes, which still gets the odd play on today's radio...

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/10 at 4:51 pm

I have (r had; cant remember if I gave it away or not) the 'Long Time Friends' album on LP.  'Put Away Your Love' sure did reach US #71.  I first heard it when I was given a complete set of every US chart hit of the 80s.  A great song!

The Alessi Brothers had zero success in Canada :(

Written By: Henk on 02/23/10 at 2:53 pm

I have (r had; cant remember if I gave it away or not) the 'Long Time Friends' album on LP.  'Put Away Your Love' sure did reach US #71.  I first heard it when I was given a complete set of every US chart hit of the 80s.  A great song!

Thanks for confirming that. It isn't mentioned on AllMusic, where I usually get my information from.

The Alessi Brothers had zero success in Canada :(

I blame it on your poor taste. :P :D ;)

Written By: Henk on 03/07/10 at 10:41 am

#7: Kamahl

Kamahl (Tamil: கந்தையா கமலேஸ்வரன்) is the stage name of Kandiah Kamalesvaran (born 13 November 1934), an Australian singer and recording artist, perhaps best-known for "The Elephant Song", and his repertoire of popular music. He began his music career in the band, "Radial Arm".
Kamahl was born in Malaysia to Tamil Hindu parents, and he grew up in Bricksfield, Kuala Lumpur. In 1953, the family moved to Australia. Kamahl decided to pursue a career in the music industry in the late 1950’s, after seeing Nat King Cole in concert and meeting him in person. His first public performance was in 1958, where he also decided to shorten his name to Kamahl. During the next five decades, Kamahl has made numerous recordings and countless tv appearances, mostly in Australia but also in South East Asia, Europe and South Africa.

Unfortunately, the success of “The Elephant Song” would also prove to be his handicap in Holland, as this gave him the image of the “WWF guy”. He did two more songs for WWF projects, but those were poor imitations of The Elephant Song and therefore not very successful.  Other (non-charity) singles failed to make a serious dent in our charts.

Albums (select discography):
1967 | A Voice To Remember
1969 | Dreams Of Love
1970 | Kamahl
1971 | Christmas With Kamahl
1973 | Chanson d’Amour
1974 | Kamahl At The Opera House
1975 | The Elephant Song
1976 | Save The Oceans

Singles (select discography)
1968 | "The Impossible Dream"
1969 | "Sounds Of Goodbye"
1970 | "All I Have To Offer You (Is Me)"
1971 | "Love Is A Mountain"
1972 | "If You Don’t Know Now"
1973 | "End Of A Rainbow"
1974 | "Our Love Song"
1975 | "The Elephant Song"
1975 | "Chanson d’Amour"
1975 | "White Christmas"
1976 | "Save The Oceans Of The World"
1977 | "She’s Not Easy"
1978 | "What Would I Do Without My Music"
1979 | "You Decorated My Life"
1980 | "Save The Whale"
1981 | "Hey There Lord"
2008 | "I Was A Mate Of Don Bradman"

Trivia:
- “The Elephant Song” was originally offered to Frank Sinatra, but he turned it down.
- Kamahl became a Member of the Order of Australia in 1994.
- He received the Australian Father Of The Year Award in 1998.
- He was awarded The Australian Centenary Medal by Queen Elizabeth II in 2004.
- He received another Australian honour when he was included in 'Our Entertainers of the 20th Century' in May 2006.
  Organised by the Variety Club of Australia, the top entertainers of the century included Kylie Minogue, Dame Joan Sutherland,
  Rolf  Harris, Jack Thompson and Graham Kennedy.

The Sounds Of Goodbye (1969)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvBDp1M0hgE

The Elephant Song (1975)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl2PQvsHDkU

Save The Oceans Of The World (1976)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciP3wFtpPF0

Subject: Re: Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week #7: Kamahl

Written By: gibbo on 03/07/10 at 3:14 pm

You know...I can't recall the Elephant Song at all from my youth  :-\\  Yet...I remember Kamahl because he was always on tv (variety shows etc). Always thought he had a quality voice...which became less popular as popular music used that type of sound less and less.

He had a few comedy sketches where he 'took off' his own persona. I can still remember him looking down the camera and saying in his deep toned voice..." Why are people so unkind?"  ;D

Written By: Henk on 03/07/10 at 3:43 pm

You know...I can't recall the Elephant Song at all from my youth  :-\\   Yet...I remember Kamahl because he was always on tv (variety shows etc). Always thought he had a quality voice...which became less popular as popular music used that type of sound less and less.

It could very well be that The Elephant Song wasn't that popular in Australia, I don't know... :-\\ After all, it was written by a Dutchman (Hans van Hemert) and recorded for a Dutch tv show.

He had a few comedy sketches where he 'took off' his own persona. I can still remember him looking down the camera and saying in his deep toned voice..." Why are people so unkind?"  ;D

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention his catchphrase! ;D

Also "forgot" to mention his habit of collecting speeding tickets... ::)

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/10 at 8:00 pm

Kamahl had 1 chart album in Canada with 'Somebody Loves You' which rose to a disappointing #86 in 1983.  Still not bad that he was able to chart in Canada though. 

Written By: Henk on 03/09/10 at 4:31 pm

Kamahl had 1 chart album in Canada with 'Somebody Loves You' which rose to a disappointing #86 in 1983.  Still not bad that he was able to chart in Canada though. 

It's good to know he had some success in Canada. On the other hand: with the number of albums he's recorded one of them was bound to chart somewhere some time. ;D

Written By: karen on 03/09/10 at 4:43 pm

As a duo, the brothers released 8 albums that sold millions worldwide. With Barnaby Bye, they released another three albums. They still perform, both as a duo and with the band.

I didn't recognise the title Oh Lori but did remember it once it started playing

I found this for the Ford advert

http://adland.tv/commercials/ford-caught-you-lookin-2003-030-usa

Written By: Henk on 03/09/10 at 4:47 pm

I didn't recognise the title Oh Lori but did remember it once it started playing

I found this for the Ford advert

http://adland.tv/commercials/ford-caught-you-lookin-2003-030-usa

Cool! 8)

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/10 at 10:06 pm

It's good to know he had some success in Canada. On the other hand: with the number of albums he's recorded one of them was bound to chart somewhere some time. ;D

He did have plenty of releases here.  I see them all the time in used record shops.  Shame he had no single chart hits here.  Australians usually kicked up the charts in Canada.  Kamahl was one of the few that didn't :-\\

Written By: gibbo on 03/10/10 at 10:17 pm

He did have plenty of releases here.  I see them all the time in used record shops.  Shame he had no single chart hits here.  Australians usually kicked up the charts in Canada.  Kamahl was one of the few that didn't :-\\

There was an article in our local paper on Kamahl the day after Henk posted. I thought it was timely...

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/10 at 10:37 pm

There was an article in our local paper on Kamahl the day after Henk posted. I thought it was timely...

Is he still popular in Australia?

Written By: gibbo on 03/10/10 at 10:59 pm

Is he still popular in Australia?

Yes, apparently so. I thought he would only appeal to the older set ... but the article stated that he has appeared at some of our organized 'Big Day Out' concerts, which are predominantly held for the younger set with many alternative bands. I have no idea how he would fit into that format!  :o 

I guess he is so opposite (and straight) that he has some kind of 'cult' status with the younger people. Sort of like ...movies that are so bad that they are actually good!  Of course, he is a quality singer ... but certainly not today's generations 'cup of tea'.

I think I read that he was close to 70 years of age now...and while he allowed himself to be the butt of some jokes..he didn't really like it.

Written By: Henk on 03/27/10 at 4:35 am

Hmpf! Copycats... ::) :D ;D ;)

I think I read that he was close to 70 years of age now...and while he allowed himself to be the butt of some jokes..he didn't really like it.

Actually, Kamahl is already past that age... He's 75.

Subject: Re: Henk's Artist/Song Of The Week #8: The Knack

Written By: Henk on 03/27/10 at 4:44 am

#8. The Knack

A belated tribute to the late Doug Fieger.

The Knack was an American new wave rock quartet based in Los Angeles that rose to fame with their first single, “My Sharona”", an international #1 hit that became the biggest hit song of 1979 in US of A.
The power pop of “My Sharona” earned the band approval among music critics, who, in general, disliked disco, and the band quickly rose to fame. Their debut album “Get The Knack” held the #1 spot for 5 consecutive weeks in US, selling over 3 million copies in the United States alone.
Sadly, their success didn’t last. It is not quite clear why the band’s success was limited to 1979/1980 period only, but it was probably a combination of things. Their reluctancy to do any interviews certainly didn’t help, along with the fact that their song lyrics repeatedly indicated a liking for girls at least ten years younger than the average band member’s age. And on top of this, the band failed to deliver a decent follow-up for “Get The Knack”, as both “But The Little Girls Don’t” and “Round Trip” proved highly inconsistent (although fans may describe it as versatile). As a result, the band split up in 1982, with short reunions in later years.

With singer Doug Fieger dying earlier this year, only two of the four original band members are still alive (Bruce Gary died from lymphoma on August 22, 2006).

Albums:
1979 | Get The Knack
1980 | But The Little Girls Understand
1981 | Round Trip
1991 | Serious Fun
1998 | Zoom
2001 | Normal As The Next Guy
2001 | Live From The Rock’n’Roll Funhouse
2003 | Re-Zoom

Singles:
1979 | "My Sharona"
1979 | "Good Girls Don’t"
1980 | "Baby Talks Dirty"
1980 | "Can’t Put A Price On Love"
1981 | "Pay The Devil (Ooo, Baby, Ooo)"
1991 | "Rocket O’Love"
1994 | "My Sharona"

My Sharona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdnqEyToqg

Good Girls Don’t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc3KXwd8ZWQ

Baby Talks Dirty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-dKbd3XBHM

Pay The Devil (Ooo, Baby, Ooo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kX5PhfCc0

Rocket O’Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pir69Od-y0s

Written By: Howard on 03/27/10 at 6:45 am

"My Sharona" was the only song I know next "Little Girls Don't".

Written By: Henk on 03/27/10 at 7:03 am

"My Sharona" was the only song I know next "Little Girls Don't".

Not really surprising. Their other songs were no real hits at all.

"Baby Talks Dirty" is basically just "My Sharona" with different lyrics. No wonder it flopped.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/10 at 10:41 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI09FId6Ev4

Cat

Written By: Henk on 03/27/10 at 12:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI09FId6Ev4

Cat

That's a decent cover version. Nothing to get overly excited about, IMHO. No offense... :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/10 at 12:42 pm

That's a decent cover version. Nothing to get overly excited about, IMHO. No offense... :-\\

I can understand that. I do like the song but this version reminds me of another place, another time.

Cat

Written By: nally on 03/27/10 at 12:44 pm

"My Sharona" was the only song I know

Same here; as well as Weird Al's parody "My Bologna".

Not really surprising. Their other songs were no real hits at all.

"Baby Talks Dirty" is basically just "My Sharona" with different lyrics. No wonder it flopped.

I guess so...

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/10 at 1:57 am

I too have only heard of My Sharona....and that song was not enough for me to buy their album. I agree that Baby Talks Dirty has the same general sound as My Sharona but has no real catchy hook... :-\\

I listened to all of the attached videos and found them unspectacular.  This may sound harsh....but to me, The Knack will always be a one hit band! But that one hit was special!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/10 at 11:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfgI6XcsNtQ

Cat

Written By: Henk on 03/28/10 at 3:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfgI6XcsNtQ

Cat

Only nine...? ;D :D

Written By: Bobby on 03/30/10 at 2:56 pm

I like 'My Sharona' by The Knack, the bassline to that is cool. That's the only song I know.

Written By: Henk on 03/30/10 at 4:13 pm

I like 'My Sharona' by The Knack, the bassline to that is cool. That's the only song I know.

Bobby!! :D I feel honored. :) How are things?

Written By: Frank on 03/30/10 at 9:38 pm

I liked the album "Get the Knack"
My Sharona, Good girls don't, Heartbeat...good songs. Very popular album in Canada during the summer of 1979. Some of my friends had it and played the album often, esp at parties that summer.

My Sharona is fabulous, one of the best songs of 1979. Good girls don't is a great song as well.

Good choice Henk!

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/10 at 3:19 pm

The Knack are often thought of as one hit wonders, simply because 'My Sharona' dominated over their other songs.  For me, their best was 'Baby Talks Dirty'

In Canada, they had 2 #1 hits 8)

ALBUMS
1979 - Get the Knack
1980 - But the Little Girls Understand
1991 - Serious Fun

SINGLES
1979 - My Sharona
1979 - Good Girls Don't
1980 - Baby Talks Dirty
1991 - Rocket O' Love

'Get the Knack' was so popular, that it spent 37 weeks in the Canadian Top 100.  33 of those weeks were in the Top 40, and on that 33rd week, it's position was #33 in the chart, and it's previous position was #33.  That's not all ...

Along with those three 3 chart albums and 3 Top 20 hits, 'My Sharona' had a 3 week run at #1 and was the 3rd best selling single of 1979.  'Good Girls Don't hit #1 on November 10, 1979, which was the 3rd last printed chart in Canada for that year.  In 1991, after falling out of the Top 40, 'Rocket O Love' fell out of the 100 chart 3 weeks later.

The number 3 has been brought to you in part by The Knack

Written By: Frank on 04/01/10 at 3:21 pm

The Knack are often thought of as one hit wonders, simply because 'My Sharona' dominated over their other songs.  For me, their best was 'Baby Talks Dirty'

ALBUMS
1979 - Get the Knack
1991 - Serious Fun

SINGLES
1979 - My Sharona
1979 - Good Girls Don't
1980 - Baby Talks Dirty
1991 - Rocket O' Love

'Get the Knack' was so popular, that it spent 37 weeks in the Canadian Top 100.  33 of those weeks were in the Top 40, and on that 33rd week, it's position was #33 in the chart, and it's previous position was #33.  That's not all ...

Along with those three 3 chart albums and 3 Top 20 hits, 'My Sharona' had a 3 week run at #1 and was the 3rd best selling single of 1979.  'Good Girls Don't hit #1 on November 10, 1979, which was the 3rd last printed chart in Canada for that year.  In 1991, after falling out of the Top 40, 'Rocket O Love' fell out of the 100 chart 3 weeks later.

Great stuff. In Canada, the summer of 1979 was dominated by 2 albums, one was "Get the knack" the other was "Breakfast in America" by Supertramp. Good times, good memories.

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/10 at 3:45 pm

^ 'Breakfast in America' was the best selling album in Canada of 1979.  'Get the Knack' placed 4th

Written By: Henk on 04/01/10 at 4:14 pm

ALBUMS
1979 - Get the Knack
1991 - Serious Fun

SINGLES
1979 - My Sharona
1979 - Good Girls Don't
1980 - Baby Talks Dirty
1991 - Rocket O' Love

This is quite impressive... I wonder why they were so popular in Canada, although I guess there is no real answer to that question.

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/10 at 8:00 pm

This is quite impressive... I wonder why they were so popular in Canada, although I guess there is no real answer to that question.

Based on just singles, the Americans won, but with that US #38 position for 'Baby Talks Dirty', I am not sure how it works down there if that would get lots of radio play or not.  Up here in the land of Canucks, a song doesn't have to be in the Top 40 to be a popular hit. 

I like 'Good Girls Don't', but I never would have thought it was a #1 hit in Canada, but that's mostly because it's always a surprise whenever a Non-Canadian artist does better in Canada than the States.  If you only knew the amount of songs/artists that did better here than in America, you'd be surprised.  I should do a thread on that:  When an artist is more successful elsewhere than in their home country

Written By: Frank on 04/01/10 at 10:55 pm

^ 'Breakfast in America' was the best selling album in Canada of 1979.  'Get the Knack' placed 4th

I am not surprised Breakfast in America was #1, it's my fave album from that year by a mile.
Wonder what was #2 and #3 in Canada that year.
Spirits having flown - Bee gees? Pink Floyd's wall? (altho I think it was more popular in the spring of 1980)
Regatta de blanc Police?
These are just guesses.

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/10 at 7:31 am

I am not surprised Breakfast in America was #1, it's my fave album from that year by a mile.
Wonder what was #2 and #3 in Canada that year.
Spirits having flown - Bee gees? Pink Floyd's wall? (altho I think it was more popular in the spring of 1980)
Regatta de blanc Police?
These are just guesses.

Spirits Having Flown was #3, and the At Budokan album by Cheap Trick placed 2nd ...

(click to enlarge)
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7894/1979.gif

Written By: Frank on 04/02/10 at 11:39 am

Spirits Having Flown was #3, and the At Budokan album by Cheap Trick placed 2nd ...

(click to enlarge)
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7894/1979.gif

Thanks.

Written By: nally on 04/02/10 at 1:11 pm

Yeah, it has some great tracks (aside from just those which were hits). I listened to the whole thing online a few months ago.

Written By: mooster on 04/05/10 at 1:34 am

SINGLES
1979 - My Sharona

My favourite year for music and one of my favourite songs! It spent 5 weeks at #1 here 8)

Written By: Henk on 04/17/10 at 1:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RulnxJLmBrA

I didn't know this until now, but that Robey version actually reached #5 in Dutch Dance Top 30. Now I'm really shocked.  :o

Written By: whistledog on 04/17/10 at 8:48 pm

I didn't know this until now, but that Robey version actually reached #5 in Dutch Dance Top 30. Now I'm really shocked.  :o

I bet it was her only hit in that chart?

She never really had the talent to have a wide range of hits.  Even as an actress, her only memorable role was as a cast member of 'Friday the 13th: The Series', which she most likely only landed because it was a Canadian production, filmed in Toronto. 

Written By: Henk on 04/18/10 at 1:30 am

I bet it was her only hit in that chart?

Actually, no. "Killer Instinct" made it to #33. Not available on YouTube, so I've no idea what it sounds like.

Written By: Henk on 05/01/10 at 10:28 am

I've been neglecting this thread. Partly because I've been busy with other things, partly because of a lack of inspiration.
I'm thinking of renaming it, and turning it into an "artist/song of the month" thread instead. Maybe that'll work better for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...