inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tabletop Role playing games

Written By: HolyDooley on 11/19/09 at 7:39 am

Hi, I used to be a member here many moon ago and am popping in to ask a random question of you young up to date members. 

I want to get my 18 year old son a tabletop role playing game and the only one I know is Dungeons and Dragons which is ancient.  What are young people playing now when they aren't on facebook and Call of Duty?

Thanks.  I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Subject: Re: Tabletop Role playing games

Written By: whistledog on 11/19/09 at 8:11 am

D&D is still out there, and still played.  There is also the Pokemon and 'Magic: The Gathering' craze

Written By: karen on 11/19/09 at 8:35 am

Not to answer your question - just to say hi HolyDooley and welcome back

Written By: HolyDooley on 11/19/09 at 8:38 am

Thankyou very much.  Perhaps I'll go with D&D since it's still in and I know it to be quality from my day.  I wasn't sure if the younger generation would still be into it.

Thanks.

Hi Karen, thankyou :)  You were from the UK right?

Written By: karen on 11/19/09 at 8:48 am

Hi Karen, thankyou :)  You were from the UK right?

That's right

Although Dungeons and Dragons still seems to be popular there are probably newer games out there.  I'd check back here maybe tomorrow when more have had a chance to read the thread.

Is he into anything that might have a themed game such as Lord of the Rings?

Written By: Step-chan on 11/19/09 at 2:30 pm

I haven't experimented with tabletop RPGs, only console RPGs.

I'll look up abit to see what's available.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/19/09 at 2:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_games_by_name

I found this, it excludes the console and computer ones.(It's about the best I can do at the moment)

Hope this helps you abit. :)

Written By: HolyDooley on 11/19/09 at 11:59 pm

Thanks Step-chan, I never realised there were so many out there!  I think I'll let my son make a suggestion to me rather than buy a 'surprise' he isn't into.

Thnks for that good link though!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/20/09 at 2:05 am

If he is a Star Wars fan, many people (including my husband) swear by Star Wars (Saga edition), it ties in with the Star Wars miniatures game which is the same scale.  Minis come in both ships and characters. 

Books can be had from e-bay for $10 - 15 (and up).  Basically buy the Core book and then you buy the Plug-in book for whichever era of Star Wars he's into playing.  Do not pay more then cover price (there are many auctions that claim their books are rare, so you do have to probably do research.)  My husband found a role-playing group within 2 weeks.  But we also live in a big city.

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition is a solid system with the advantage being the books can be had from e-bay for $10 or less.  Sets of multiple books go for $50.  D & D 4th edition, while much simpler, revolves around combat and (in my husbands opinion) there isn't much role play.  People in this area are abandoning it (it was fairly newly released...April 2009) and going back to 3.5 edition. 

Mongoose Publishing's "Conan" is faithful to the books and movies.  There is also Mongoose "Traveler" (another Sci-Fi game) and "Hammer's Slammers" (which represent the novels of David Drake). 

There is also "Serenity" which emulates the t.v. show and movie "Firefly".

It's really all in what he wants to get into in respect to genre. 

Finally there is Star Trek (also one of my husband's favorites) which also can be found pretty cheaply on e-bay.

If he wants straight minis (little lead/plastic figures), Warhammer 40k is very popular.  It's an easy dice battle system.

Feel free to pm my husband, LinuX-Philes on this message board.  He's worked at many games stores, played and ran several games over the years, and had a little store on e-bay and knows and visits all 5 of the local games stores here often.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/21/09 at 10:34 am

What is Bakugan???  I thought it was a Roll Playing Game - and allll the boys in upper elementary and Jr. High are wanting it! - Just my addition.

Although I do not know how you play - I just know there are several good and bad things (balls that turn into people/monsters) and battle rings and such ...

Written By: Step-chan on 11/21/09 at 9:43 pm

My nephew has some Bakugan stuff. I don't know much about it myself.(Pokemon is enough for me)

Written By: Gohanzo1 on 11/21/09 at 9:57 pm

What is Bakugan???  I thought it was a Roll Playing Game - and allll the boys in upper elementary and Jr. High are wanting it! - Just my addition.

Although I do not know how you play - I just know there are several good and bad things (balls that turn into people/monsters) and battle rings and such ...

Bakugan is a game were you roll a bakugan ball on a metal card and it opens up that "monster" has a set amout of points on it.When another bakugan is poled on the same card u battle each other,you can use the paper cards to raise ur point or "G power" the player with the most points wins.You play with 3 bakugan.the player to defet the other players 3 bakugan wins.-btw im stepchan nephew-

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/24/09 at 4:57 pm

Bakugan is a game were you roll a bakugan ball on a metal card and it opens up that "monster" has a set amout of points on it.When another bakugan is poled on the same card u battle each other,you can use the paper cards to raise ur point or "G power" the player with the most points wins.You play with 3 bakugan.the player to defet the other players 3 bakugan wins.-btw im stepchan nephew-

Welcome, Step's nephew!

Written By: Silver Power on 11/24/09 at 6:57 pm

Hi, I used to be a member here many moon ago and am popping in to ask a random question of you young up to date members. 

I want to get my 18 year old son a tabletop role playing game and the only one I know is Dungeons and Dragons which is ancient.  What are young people playing now when they aren't on facebook and Call of Duty?

Thanks.  I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

One thing you need to keep in mind is if he's into tabletop RPGs. Like if it's something that he'd want. Speaking from a 16-year-old perspective, if I were to receive something that I didn't particularly care for as a gift, I'd act happy but I'd die a little inside. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but still. Make sure it's something he's actually interested in. Ask him ahead of time 'have you ever heard of dungeons and dragons?' and 'what do you think about it?'. It may somewhat ruin the surprise, but it may save yourself from getting your son something that he doesn't really want.

Welcome back to inthe00s!

Check for new replies or respond here...