inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Black Friday

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/26/09 at 12:39 am

Ok, which of you crazy people are planning on hitting the Black Friday sales the day after Thanksgiving this year?

I, personally, would rather shoot myself in the foot than brave those crowds, but I know a lot of people that are life long devotees. 

I just want to ask one thing: Is it REALLY worth it?

Subject: Re: Black Friday

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/26/09 at 1:03 am

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403/3255147152_e4de3c3d20_o.jpg

It's only worth it if you still have the chainsaw you got from last year's Black Friday.

I was never into it (and still ain't), but one year, my curiosity got the best of me.  Peruse the ads, find something you were going to buy anyway, then drag yourself out of bed on a Friday morning and buy it.  (At a brick-and-mortar store, none of this "cyber monday" marketing BS!)

The more you hate the idea, the more you'll enjoy it.  It's a surreal experience, even if there are only 10 of you in line in front of the local office supplies store at 7 in the morning.  (It was downright civilized compared to what was going on at the Best Buy and the Wal*Mart, which I got to watch from across the lane) 

Do it once, and you'll never have to do it again.  But know that you haven't fully experienced America until you've bought something on Black Friday.

Written By: Midas on 11/26/09 at 1:07 am

Meh.  My fiance's friend goes every year and she tags along and gets stuff.  They're starting this year at one of the many malls in the Valley that open at midnight. :P  I'll be nestled all snug in my bed while visions of working will take over my head then I'll wake up. :P

Written By: Howard on 11/26/09 at 5:38 am

I'm working on Black Friday but I doubt it's going to be busy that day.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/26/09 at 8:57 am

I'm with Ash and Midas.  At home in my nice warm bed is the place to be.  Much safer, too.

Written By: ninny on 11/26/09 at 9:05 am

I'm with Ash and Midas.  At home in my nice warm bed is the place to be.  Much safer, too.

I don't plan on doing any shopping either. Tim works until noon and Timmy has to be to work at 5AM at Radio Shack.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/26/09 at 10:05 am

HELL NO!  My husband does have his eyes on some power tool though, so I think he may wake up at the crack of ass to go get it.  (This coming from a man that visibly cringes when I even mention shopping  ;D)

Written By: Jessica on 11/26/09 at 10:17 am

We've gone shopping before on Black Friday, but only after the crowds were gone.  Hell if I'm gonna peel myself out of bed at the crack of ass to go out and get trampled in the dark by a bunch of freaks.

By the way, I was reading an article on Black Friday.  Those "Deals" they have, yeah, read the fine print.  Limited quantities (some as low as 3) at each store, and no rain checks.  Fut dat.

Written By: Silver Power on 11/26/09 at 11:02 am

I'm working on Black Friday but I doubt it's going to be busy that day.

Oh, yeah, Pathmark definitely won't be busy on Black Friday.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/26/09 at 11:08 am

I have "done" black Friday for 20 years or so now...  Yep I set my alarm for 3:30 and I drive an hour to get stuff!  I map out were I go and what I am going for and in what order ( I prioritize).  I have never been trampled, pushed nor have I done it too someone!  Although to this point I have never necvessarily tried for the " hot ticket " items...  This year I am trying for a tv, netbook ( or laptop) and DS....  As for limited amounts, yes they are, get there first thing and expect not to get it!  If you do not drag yourself out of bed till 5, 6 or heaven forbid 7 then you will be screwed...  I get in and get out and am usually home by 2 ( the stores are packed at that point)....  Yes it is worth it, or I have fun at it,  and I laugh at the " rude people" and tell them merry Christmas!  It baffles me how many people will yell at a store clerk at 10:00 that the sale got over at 9:00 ( and it is clearly stated in the add), they will yell, curse at, and be down right hostile!  I roll my eyes and laugh! If you want to do black Friday and get ahead, then you need to "really " do it and not just some half hearted attempt!  But my other advice is don't get discouraged, there are plenty of other sales out there!  Maybe not as hot as black Friday, but decent none the
less!   

Written By: loki 13 on 11/26/09 at 11:43 am

I won't, I'd rather pay the extra hundred bucks not to deal with the ignorant idiots who shop at 5 in the morning.
Not to say all that shop on Black Friday are idiots but think of the people who trample over top of a fallen shopper
just to save a buck.

I wish that people would understand that Black Friday sales are just a big scam. Yeah you might get one or two things
your looking for but it's really just a ploy to get you in the store. Think about this for a minute; the stores offer real big
savings for a short period of time, the store is still makes a profit on the sale price. How much mark up was on the item
to begin with?

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/09 at 11:46 am

I haven't done black friday in years because of work...one of these years I'm gonna be off and have the money to hit up best buy and get some truly awesome deals...

I already told sami this in LTE but John Tesh said on his radio show that the major stores actually update their websites Thanksgiving morning... early T-Day AM.... with the deals they have set for black friday so if you wake up early and get online you could, theoretically, get great deals without leaving your house.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/09 at 12:01 pm

Not no but HELL NO!!!!! For one thing, I don't get up early if I don't have to. I don't want to fight crowds to get something that I don't want. And if I want something, they may be out of it which is just a waste of my time.

BTW, I have a much better way of shopping-it is called the internet. I scope out deals and shop around. And some stores will have their Black Friday deals on-line and there are no crowds.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/26/09 at 8:19 pm

Oh, yeah, Pathmark definitely won't be busy on Black Friday.

Hope it stays that way.

Written By: Silver Power on 11/26/09 at 9:22 pm

Hope it stays that way.

::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/26/09 at 10:32 pm

No thanks I value my sanity and life too much.  Besides Cyber Monday can be done in pajamas.

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/09 at 11:44 pm

We don't have Black Friday in Canada, but on December 26 is our Boxing Day and Boxing Day Sales.  Last year, I waited outside Wal-Mart at 5am and didn't even end up getting anything LOL

For me, Wal-Mart is the best place to go because they have those yellow racks with discounted movies and games.  Every year, I can hardly wait!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 4:28 am

Here I go!!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 4:33 am

Here I go!!!

you're a little late aren't you? I mean some stores opened at 4am!!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 4:37 am

you're a little late aren't you? I mean some stores opened at 4am!!!
I did not need to goto jcpwnny and sears!!!  So I am fine- toys r us was clearing out the store at 4:30 to get there 5:00 sales out

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 4:38 am

I did not need to goto jcpwnny and sears!!!  So I am fine- toys r us was clearing out the store at 4:30 to get there 5:00 sales out

ah... but shouldn't youl be in line already for 5am rush

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 4:40 am

I want that 32 in LCD TV that Walmart is selling for $250 but of course I'm in dispatch  :\'(

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 4:43 am

ah... but shouldn't youl be in line already for 5am rush
No way- one it is cold here to wait in line!  2 I run by the law "save thy own". No trampling in the back of the mob :)

I just ditch the cart and "Excuse me" the way to the front!  No sense not being polite!  :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 4:43 am

I want that 32 in LCD TV that Walmart is selling for $250 but of course I'm in dispatch  :\'(
I am going for the 42" hitachi at SAMs for 598

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 4:51 am

I am going for the 42" hitachi at SAMs for 598

that's good too... and a better brand.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/27/09 at 4:53 am

On the news they had a family, mom, dad, and kids, in line at 5am Thanksgiving morning. They spent 24 hours in line.  Why?  Because, mom said, "I want the best for my kids" WTF!!! She is in line at BEST BUY AT 5AM THANKSGIVING DAY, because"I WANT THE BEST FOR MY KIDS". oooooohhhhh It took everything I had not to drive over and slap the stupid out of her(it would take a lot of slapping I'm sure.). Dad had visions of the big screen tv they would get cheap for being one of the first fifty, yeah, they were thinking of the kids.  It turned cold, raw, and rainy overnight, that ought to be great for the kids, nice memories.

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 4:55 am

On the news they had a family, mom, dad, and kids, in line at 5am Thanksgiving morning.  Why?  Because, mom said, "I want the best for my kids"  WTF  She is in line at BEST BUY ON THANKSGIVING DAY, because"I WANT THE BEST FOR MY KIDS". oooooohhhhh It took everything I had not to drive over and slap the stupid out of her(it would take a lot of slapping I'm sure.).  That had visions of the big screen tv they would get cheap for being one of the first fifty, yeah, they were thinking of the kids.  It turned cold, raw, and rainy overnight, that ought to be great for the kids, nice memories.

;D If I could I'd be first 50 at best buy too... but that's just me...no kids to drag out that early!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 4:55 am

that's good too... and a better brand.
Well someone told me " bigger is always better"...

I feel as if I need a twitter acount now!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 4:58 am

Well someone told me " bigger is always better"...

I feel as if I need a twitter acount now!

ALWAYS!!!!

I responded to your twitter post in LTE...

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 5:01 am

On the news they had a family, mom, dad, and kids, in line at 5am Thanksgiving morning. They spent 24 hours in line.  Why?  Because, mom said, "I want the best for my kids" WTF!!! She is in line at BEST BUY AT 5AM THANKSGIVING DAY, because"I WANT THE BEST FOR MY KIDS". oooooohhhhh It took everything I had not to drive over and slap the stupid out of her(it would take a lot of slapping I'm sure.). Dad had visions of the big screen tv they would get cheap for being one of the first fifty, yeah, they were thinking of the kids.  It turned cold, raw, and rainy overnight, that ought to be great for the kids, nice memories.
I want the best for my kids too - but being materialistic is not one of them....  (note my8 year old is getting netbook this year - as she always wants to use my computer for school work :P )

Written By: danootaandme on 11/27/09 at 5:06 am

I want the best for my kids too - but being materialistic is not one of them....  (note my8 year old is getting netbook this year - as she always wants to use my computer for school work :P )

That's the point.  They spent 24 hours in line, on a holiday. A couple of relatives actually brought them plates of food so they could have there Thanksgiving meal.  The kids had theirs sitting on beach chairs in front of the Best Buy. Overnight it turned cold and rainy. Just so Dad could get his cheap big screen.  No way were they thinking of the kids.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 5:07 am

Waiting in line- DSi and accessories, netbook, and various other toys!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 5:16 am

that's a gift you're giving to us all... otherwise- it'd limit the amount of time you spend here  ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/27/09 at 5:33 am

The stores must be open by now and the rush is probably beginning,Hopefully,no one will get hurt this time.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/09 at 5:35 am

No thanks I value my sanity and life too much.  Besides Cyber Monday can be done in pajamas.

A very good idea.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 5:59 am

Just experienced slowest checker in the west!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 6:01 am

Just experienced slowest checker in the west!

;D  at least you survived!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 6:06 am

;D  at least you survived!
Dsi is had, along with netbook and 20 games - no camera :(. On to lowes for mamas wine cooler!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 6:13 am

Dsi is had, along with netbook and 20 games - no camera :(. On to lowes for mamas wine cooler!

you shop fast! 

did you find my Guitar Hero stand alone drums?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/27/09 at 6:44 am

We were debating on going to Half-Price books this morning (they opened at 7) and gave out free giant-sized tote bags with $5 gift cards (one lucky shopper gets a $100 card).  But it was cold and it's a bit more of a trek for us then it usually was (right around the corner).  Now it's about 7 miles away.  lol  So we stayed home.  I'm sure life went on without us being there.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 6:49 am

Ii got  pie.  !!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 6:56 am

Ii got  pie.  !!!

YAY!!! me too!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 6:56 am

Ii got  pie.  !!!

but did you get the TV?

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 7:06 am

Wine cooler got - 18 bottles of chilled happiness

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 7:09 am

No tv :( or diamond earrings :(

but I got pie ( pumpkin and pecan)!!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 7:28 am

No tv :( or diamond earrings :(

but I got pie ( pumpkin and pecan)!!!

pie is almost as important as TV so good job!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 7:57 am

pie is almost as important as TV so good job!
What no comment on the wine cooler!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 8:08 am

What no comment on the wine cooler!

nah... wine makes you more fun!  ;)

perhaps I should have said... Only 18?  :o  but what are you going to drink tomorrow?  ;D

Written By: Midas on 11/27/09 at 8:38 am

Pie for everyone!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 8:39 am

Pie for everyone!

and wine coolers.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 8:53 am

Target was crazy even for me!!! But I finally got the sex and the city all season's - unfortunately they only had season 1 of gilmore girls:(. Got chillen's some more stuff - still no camera

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 8:56 am

Target was crazy even for me!!! But I finally got the sex and the city all season's - unfortunately they only had season 1 of gilmore girls:(. Got chillen's some more stuff - still no camera

yay about S&TC  boo about GG

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 10:12 am

Getting some nourishment now:)

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 10:14 am

Getting some nourishment now:)

PIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 10:25 am

PIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pie is buried  >:( but don't worry I created a structure around it so as it wouldn't be smashed!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 10:28 am

Pie is buried  >:( but don't worry I created a structure around it so as it wouldn't be smashed!

:o  Pie should be riding shotgun!!!

Written By: Midas on 11/27/09 at 11:26 am

QFTFQ (quoted for truth from Q) :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 11:27 am

I like it! Hopefully it catches on!  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/27/09 at 12:26 pm

I'd like to buy a vowel for $250 please.  :D

Written By: Howard on 11/27/09 at 2:57 pm

Pie for everyone!

What flavor?

Written By: Howard on 11/27/09 at 2:58 pm

Wine cooler got - 18 bottles of chilled happiness

Bartles And Jaymes?

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 4:08 pm

I am riding shotgun with purse and a 12 pack of coke at my feet...  Caffeine is definitely more important in a case like this 8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 4:09 pm

Bartles And Jaymes?
No a refrigerator that holds 18 bottles of wine...

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/09 at 5:28 pm

now all put away - too bad it is not wrapped :P

Written By: Womble on 11/27/09 at 6:50 pm

Black Friday........I wonder how Brian is doing today. Still in one piece I hope.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/27/09 at 7:17 pm

Let me warn you.......

If your kids want Zhu Zhu Pets (battery-operated toy hamsters), prepare for them to be disappointed, for they shall be impossible to find by now. They are this year's hot-ticket item, and are flying off the shelves. So just prepare for your kids to be disappointed on Christmas morning. And be prepared for them to chop your head off with a knife... OK, just kidding on that last part.

Written By: Silver Power on 11/27/09 at 9:10 pm

Let me warn you.......

If your kids want Zhu Zhu Pets (battery-operated toy hamsters), prepare for them to be disappointed, for they shall be impossible to find by now. They are this year's hot-ticket item, and are flying off the shelves. So just prepare for your kids to be disappointed on Christmas morning. And be prepared for them to chop your head off with a knife... OK, just kidding on that last part.

You mean... I'm not going to get a Zhu Zhu Pet??  :\'( :\'( :\'(

;D

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/27/09 at 9:35 pm

You mean... I'm not going to get a Zhu Zhu Pet??  :\'( :\'( :\'(

;D

Why do you care?..... LOLOLOLOLOL

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 9:50 pm

No a refrigerator that holds 18 bottles of wine...

okay... I'm with howard on this one... I thought maybe the Loews in Iowa rocked harder than any other loews I'd ever been in and they sold wine coolers... not coolers that held wine  ;D 

so change my response to "an 18 bottle wine cooler? but what are you going to do with the other 44 bottles of wine?"

Written By: Howard on 11/28/09 at 6:43 am

okay... I'm with howard on this one... I thought maybe the Loews in Iowa rocked harder than any other loews I'd ever been in and they sold wine coolers... not coolers that held wine  ;D 

so change my response to "an 18 bottle wine cooler? but what are you going to do with the other 44 bottles of wine?"

send it over here to New York,I could sure use 44 bottles.  ;D ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/28/09 at 9:13 am

:D 18 bottles are held and chillin - figures no one new what I was talking about ::)

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/09 at 9:46 am

:D 18 bottles are held and chillin - figures no one new what I was talking about ::)

well most of don't drink so much wine that we need to get a cooler to hold 18 bottles  :P

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/28/09 at 9:51 am

well most of don't drink so much wine that we need to get a cooler to hold 18 bottles  :P
I like choices mann!  8)

It's all about the choices...

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/09 at 9:52 am

I like choices mann!   8)

It's all about the choices...

and then there's intervention....  ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/28/09 at 10:21 am

and then there's intervention....  ;)
well geesh - can't you let me enjoy my cooler for a while :P

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/09 at 10:23 am

hey its been 24 hours already you must have gone thru half the bottles already  ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/28/09 at 10:25 am

hey its been 24 hours already you must have gone thru half the bottles already  ;)
It took that long for the cooler and the wine to cool down - and have you seen any evidence of me drinking

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/09 at 10:26 am

It took that long for the cooler and the wine to cool down - and have you seen any evidence of me drinking

ooh... well what do I know... I haven't had a drink in 13 years.... well it'll be thirteen years next month

Written By: Howard on 11/28/09 at 6:43 pm

I need to enjoy mine too (on ice).

Written By: Womble on 11/28/09 at 7:45 pm

ooh... well what do I know... I haven't had a drink in 13 years.... well it'll be thirteen years next month

I love your Avatar, Q. I can almost hear the sound effects of Jaimie's bionic ear.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/09 at 7:55 pm

I love your Avatar, Q. I can almost hear the sound effects of Jaimie's bionic ear.  :)

lol... I've watched 12 of the first 14 eps (not including the 6 mil dol man eps) on hulu)

look in the 1970s for the Bionic woman thread I started...might be hard to figure it out at first because I titled the thread
OMG! OMG! OMG!  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 11/29/09 at 3:09 pm

Seems it was a bit disappointing to the retailers, only a .5 increase in sales.  In New England we registered a -5% .  Good on us.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/02/09 at 2:43 pm

Why was it even necessary for the kids to be with them?  Couldn't the kids have stayed with the relatives who brought the food?  It just doesn't make any sense to me...

Written By: Jessica on 12/02/09 at 4:24 pm

We ventured out late, like about noonish.  Missed the crowds, the gents went to Fry's Electronics, and Rice found me a slow cooker for $10.  A SIX QUART slow cooker that works really REALLY well.

So yeah, all the best deals aren't just early in the morning.  HA.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/02/09 at 4:38 pm

^ It was the last one.  I had to smack some bitches.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/03/09 at 11:54 am

We ventured out late, like about noonish.  Missed the crowds, the gents went to Fry's Electronics, and Rice found me a slow cooker for $10.  A SIX QUART slow cooker that works really REALLY well.

So yeah, all the best deals aren't just early in the morning.  HA.

Wow.  That really is a great deal.

I still wouldn't go out for it though.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...