inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: List your unusual childhood phobias

Written By: Fairee07 on 11/29/09 at 8:59 pm

I've got several but I'll only list a few clean ones...

1. Strawberries---I was scared to eat them because they were covered in seeds  :D

2. Stairs with open slits---I remember my parents' friends had those stairs that went to the basement so I refused to join the other kids who were hanging out down there because I was scared about falling through one of the gaps.

3. Anytime I'd be in a car that was going down the hill---I was so scared that it would flip over that it got to the point where I would start crying!

4. Commercials/tv shows/movies that had a black or dark background---okay I wasn't scared but I would usually find it creepy (example an old Cottonelle commercial that had a cotton ball dropping gracefully again a blackground)

Subject: Re: List your unusual childhood phobias

Written By: Womble on 11/30/09 at 6:33 pm

1. Strawberries---I was scared to eat them because they were covered in seeds  :D

2. Stairs with open slits---I remember my parents' friends had those stairs that went to the basement so I refused to join the other kids who were hanging out down there because I was scared about falling through one of the gaps.

3. Anytime I'd be in a car that was going down the hill---I was so scared that it would flip over that it got to the point where I would start crying!

4. Commercials/tv shows/movies that had a black or dark background---okay I wasn't scared but I would usually find it creepy (example an old Cottonelle commercial that had a cotton ball dropping gracefully again a blackground)

I find that very courageous and honest of you to speak about the things that frightened you. I hope you have overcome them. Thank you for sharing.  :)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/30/09 at 6:44 pm

I used to be scared of the PBS P-Pals from the 90s, but people already knew that because I did a thread about it.

Written By: Womble on 11/30/09 at 6:47 pm

I used to be scared of the PBS P-Pals from the 90s, but people already knew that because I did a thread about it.

I remember, DJ. I read your post and can relate to it.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/30/09 at 7:08 pm

I have always hated those stairs...I will never get over that fear.

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/09 at 7:45 pm

When I was a kid, I used to be scared of the phone.  You know how little kids like to play with the phone, right?  I used to do that, and one day, I picked up the phone and dialed "3-2-1".  Upon dialing that number, this robotic voice came on the line and said "Micro Helper".  And with every button I dialed after that, the voice would say something different.  I didn't know what it was, and was quite scared, but not half as scared as when I hung up the phone.  It rang back and when I picked it up, it was that robotic voice saying "Micro Helper".

To this day, I have no idea what that number was, but it doesn't work anymore.

Written By: ninny on 11/30/09 at 8:05 pm

I was afraid of those stairs also.
I was afraid to walk across the metal bridge down the road for the same reason
I was afraid of wheelchairs and I think the people in them
I was and still am afraid of falling.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/09 at 5:42 am

I used to get scared of loud noises and of this day I still get startled when the phone rings or when glass breaks.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/01/09 at 7:53 pm

My dad's best friend's Oldsmobile.  The front of that car looked like a monster with really sharp teeth!  :-

Oh, gosh, I was scared of those, too!  I still avoid them whenever possible.  I can't even look at someone sprinting up and down those kinds of stairs, because I'm afraid they'll get seriously hurt!  :(

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/09 at 8:52 pm

Also, certain TV/movie logos.  I especially hated those "technical difficulties" logos and voice overs. 

I'm with you on that.  The one that scared me the most was 'United Artists'.  The music sounded like the kind you would hear playing mysteriously in an big creepy old house in the middle of nowhere at night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5tqnBXd89I

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/01/09 at 10:53 pm

I'm with you on that.  The one that scared me the most was 'United Artists'.  The music sounded like the kind you would hear playing mysteriously in an big creepy old house in the middle of nowhere at night

Yes, definitely that one....that UA logo always gave me the creeps!  :o

Written By: Step-chan on 12/01/09 at 10:59 pm

Garbage Pail Kid cards was my main one.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/09 at 6:49 am

Thunder And Lightning.

Written By: Midas on 12/02/09 at 4:43 pm

Shortly after we moved to Phoenix (I was 5 yrs old), we went to a JCPenney store that had a lifesize Super Denim Robot™ walking around the store.  That thing freaked me out  :o

Written By: Howard on 12/03/09 at 6:59 am

I was always afraid of germs.

Written By: Midas on 12/03/09 at 9:00 am

I was always afraid of germs.

*cough*    :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/09 at 11:42 am

This was the one that freaked me out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akMrmMtVlms

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/03/09 at 2:02 pm

*cough*     :D

Maybe that's why I always wash my hands when I come home from work and taking the bus.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/09 at 2:24 pm

Fire. I used to sleep in my clothes, shoes, & coat just in case. I think that came from the fact that one of our neighbors house burnt down.

No one was hurt except a pet snake they had who didn't make it. While everyone in the neighborhood took in the kids & such, we took in the cats-the male unfixed Siamese cats who were all too happy to see our female unfixed cats who were in heat. Needless to say, we had several little half Siamese kittens running around a few months later.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 12/03/09 at 4:48 pm

"Fire" for me as well, never liked it. Don't like matches, candles, fires...of of kind. Ever since I was a kid. Too dangerous.

Written By: Jessica on 12/03/09 at 5:55 pm

The hallway in my grandparent's house and the closet at the end of it.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/09 at 5:36 am

"Fire" for me as well, never liked it. Don't like matches, candles, fires...of of kind. Ever since I was a kid. Too dangerous.

How did it affect you,Frank?  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/04/09 at 3:32 pm

This used to scare the living crap out of me when I was about 5 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1GO6UstmI0

Written By: Howard on 12/04/09 at 3:52 pm

This used to scare the living crap out of me when I was about 5 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1GO6UstmI0

Yeah I remember those Electric Company skits.

Written By: snozberries on 12/05/09 at 5:59 pm

Fire. I used to sleep in my clothes, shoes, & coat just in case. I think that came from the fact that one of our neighbors house burnt down.

No one was hurt except a pet snake they had who didn't make it. While everyone in the neighborhood took in the kids & such, we took in the cats-the male unfixed Siamese cats who were all too happy to see our female unfixed cats who were in heat. Needless to say, we had several little half Siamese kittens running around a few months later.

Cat

for me it was being kidnapped... I saw a movie about the lindbergh kidnapping then Adam Walsh was taken from a store a few days later... I used to bobby trap my room littering it with toys so I'd hear someone stumbling and tripping into the room... I have been a slob ever since  ;D

I was also terrified of the One-Armed man from The Fugitive I used to have horrible nightmares that he wanted to kill me.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/09 at 6:41 pm

I was always afraid of loud noises like when the phone rings or thunder/lightning.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/07/09 at 12:08 am

This has always freaked me out for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K53lTfQrqH0

Written By: Frank on 12/07/09 at 1:15 am

How did it affect you,Frank?  ???

I was always afraid of fire, still today. I don't even want to see a candle in our home.

Written By: Davester on 12/07/09 at 1:32 am

Yeah, the friendly Viacom.  Me too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHeFv-g9kCE

This NBC ID was still in use in the early '70s, I'm sure of it.  This thing freaked me out so much I ran into the bathroom while my mom was on the thunder jug (had to tell her about it).  One of only around five memories I still have from that time.  Same friendly, disarmingly bizarre background tune as the V.  It's scary in the same way your clown doll is scary when it's sitting on the shelf, in your bedroom, at night while you're trying to go to sleep...

Don't know if it's a phobia, but the closet door had to be closed, all the way, when I went to bed.  If it's left ajar then something is in there peeking-out at me.  Leaping into bed (so the monster under there can't grab my ankles and pull me under) and the closing of the closet door were part of the nightly ritual...

Written By: Davester on 12/07/09 at 1:45 am

Oh yeah, one more.  Um, I used to like to play in the attic, this was during my brief stay in Oregon and I can pinpoint that to 1974.  I was warned that if I stepped on the insulation "I would sink into the very bowels of the earth".  Sort of like bottomless quicksand I imagined.  More likely what my aunt and uncle said was, "If you stand on the insulation you're liable to fall through the ceiling and end-up on the living room floor."

I interpreted that to mean the insulation on the floor of the attic was the godforsaken gateway to hell, itself...

Written By: Howard on 12/07/09 at 5:31 am

I remember the PBS Logo,that used to scare the crap out of me.

http://broadcatching.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/pbs.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/07/09 at 5:33 am

I was always afraid of fire, still today. I don't even want to see a candle in our home.

So you have pyrophobia?

Written By: Frank on 12/07/09 at 12:20 pm

So you have pyrophobia?

I suppose. I don't like fire, any fire.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/09 at 4:28 pm

I used to have a phobia of needles at the doctor's office.

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/09 at 7:25 pm

What about the CBS Special Presentation idents?  They used to freak me out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiUcVp6i1tM

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/07/09 at 8:04 pm

Oh, man, that Viacom logo always gave me the creeps!  :o

What about the CBS Special Presentation idents?  They used to freak me out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiUcVp6i1tM

This one, too!  The higher the volume on the TV, the scarier it sounded to me!  :o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/07/09 at 8:32 pm

Anyone remember that really creepy logo after The Muppets?  I can't seem to find it on you tube.

Written By: Silver Power on 12/07/09 at 8:45 pm

Let's see, I'm afraid of...

Being at a high place that doesn't have guardrails - Bushkill Falls was one of those places, also, ladders, roofs, trees...

Being outside, alone, at nighttime, in a quiet neighborhood - I live in a suburb-ish place near Cape May, New Jersey. Sometimes when I'm walking back to my house, I'll get paranoid because there are wooded areas and not too many streetlights. Luckily, more people are building houses around my neighborhood. If there's a house nearby, it kinda takes my mind off the darkness and eerie-ness. But if there's also someone else that I see walking around at that time, I can get kinda nervous. Unless it looks like a woman, or they're walking a dog.

Being alone at home during a night-time power-outage - If the power goes out due to weather conditions, and I'm home alone at nighttime, I can get freaked out easily.

The future - I don't feel like I'm going to live a full life. I have no clue why, I just can't see myself living past 30.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/09 at 9:23 pm

Snakes, spiders, bats, loud noises, and heights.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/09 at 6:37 am

Anyone remember that really creepy logo after The Muppets?  I can't seem to find it on you tube.

After the Muppets had ended?  ???

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/08/09 at 6:18 pm

Don't remember that one too well.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/09 at 6:41 pm

Don't remember that one too well.

To me,It wasn't that scary.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/08/09 at 6:42 pm

The 3D Glass one isn't scary either.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/09 at 6:45 pm

The 3D Glass one isn't scary either.

You were afraid of 3D? ???

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/08/09 at 6:56 pm

You were afraid of 3D? ???

I said ISN'T.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/09 at 6:53 am

germs.

Written By: karen on 12/09/09 at 10:32 am

To me,It wasn't that scary.

So something that "scares the crap out of you" isn't that scary?  What happens when you see something really scary?

I didn't have any phobias as a child.  I did have some fears; the dark mainly and some character on a schools tv show and Dr Who monsters

Written By: lola669 on 12/09/09 at 10:42 am

I don't suppose this is too unusal, but I would run and hide ant time I saw this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO97gdn2oo

Also, flushing the toilet in the middle of the night. :( :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 12/09/09 at 11:04 am

I was afraid of flushing the toilet, period.  I thought there was a monster down there waiting to come up and eat me when I flushed.  I would open the door, flush and run. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/09/09 at 12:40 pm

I said ISN'T.

Howard had a childhood phobia of:

loud noises, germs, loud noises, the PBS logo, Dr's needles, not the PBS logo germs.....

and

READING!!!! ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/09/09 at 2:07 pm

Howard had a childhood phobia of:

loud noises, germs, loud noises, the PBS logo, Dr's needles, not the PBS logo germs.....

and

READING!!!! ;D

I'm running out of ideas of what to say anymore.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/09/09 at 2:09 pm

So something that "scares the crap out of you" isn't that scary?  What happens when you see something really scary?

The boogeyman.

Written By: karen on 12/09/09 at 5:10 pm

The boogeyman.

You scare the boogeyman out of yourself when you're really scared?

Written By: Womble on 12/09/09 at 7:55 pm

I'm too scared to even think about mine!  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 12/09/09 at 9:46 pm

You scare the boogeyman out of yourself when you're really scared?

When I was a little kid,I was scared of the Boogeyman.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/16/10 at 9:20 pm

Things that scared me as a child:

1. I was scared of the unusual framing designs of our first mirror.
2. I was scared of the dark.
3. I was scared of closing logos, like the Columbia Pictures Television logo, Blue Mountain Paramount closing logo and it's "angry" music
(Which I refuse to display in this forum in case I end up terrifying everybody)!
4. The sound of flushing toilets in the middle of the night.
5. The first time I encountered dogs because I used to get bitten by our first dog.
6. Fire
7. Game Over music/scenes in video games.
8. Doctors and shots.
9. Phantasy Star 2 (on Sega Genesis) monsters.

I had numerous phobias that kids used to call me "scaredy cat" or "chicken". I couldn't help that!

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/16/10 at 9:25 pm

I don't suppose this is too unusal, but I would run and hide ant time I saw this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO97gdn2oo

For that, I don't blame you! That scared the crap out of me too!

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/16/10 at 9:29 pm

I suppose. I don't like fire, any fire.

I don't like fire either, so when I cook, I would wear a jacket and wear gloves so I also don't get splattered by the hot oil.

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/10 at 12:51 am

also the doll from Trilogy of terror gave me nightmares for weeks!

http://z.about.com/d/horror/1/0/U/n/trilogy_doll.jpg

Written By: joeman on 01/17/10 at 12:55 am

Fear of

Dogs
Watching America's Most Wanted
George Jefferson
Heights
Baseballs(hated playing even Softball!)
Dentists
The Movie the Good Son(I was a big Home Alone Fan)

Written By: Howard on 01/17/10 at 6:23 am

the ringing of the telephone,don't know why but today I still get somewhat jumpy when the phone rings.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/18/10 at 10:34 pm

also the doll from Trilogy of terror gave me nightmares for weeks!

http://z.about.com/d/horror/1/0/U/n/trilogy_doll.jpg

Dang, that thing scared the crap out of me! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif I'm going to have nightmares from that doll! I don't blame you one bit!

Written By: Howard on 01/19/10 at 6:39 am

The Boogeyman.

Written By: Bobby on 01/22/10 at 5:18 am

When I was a child I was scared of the hoover and my reflection (I am sure there is a joke at my expense in there, lol). The hoover was because my dad tried to be cheap by attaching normal carrier bags instead of proper dustbags back in the day. The hoover nearly blew up because their were no perforations in those bags.

I was usually scared of my reflection in the dark because I thought there was somebody else in the room with me, lol.

Back in the day of the record player, there were two speeds SP and LP for single records and album records. I hated the record being on the wrong speed, especially when the band was singing in slow-motion. Very freaky.

Written By: Fairee07 on 01/22/10 at 7:50 pm

I was afraid of flushing the toilet, period.  I thought there was a monster down there waiting to come up and eat me when I flushed.  I would open the door, flush and run. ;D

OMIGOSH!  I had the exact same phobia and would run the hell out of there too! lol!

Written By: Fairee07 on 01/22/10 at 7:53 pm

the ringing of the telephone,don't know why but today I still get somewhat jumpy when the phone rings.

I would still get jumpy if I heard that old clangy phone ring.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/10 at 5:33 am

I would still get jumpy if I heard that old clangy phone ring.

Was it always a loud ring?  ???

Written By: Fairee07 on 01/23/10 at 5:17 pm

Was it always a loud ring?  ???

Yes but wasn't every phone loud back then?

Written By: Howard on 01/24/10 at 5:28 am

Yes but wasn't every phone loud back then?

Yeah at the time it was.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/24/10 at 8:22 pm

I forgot all about this until the other day.

I had a friend growing up that had an Incredible Hulk Toy box.  The bottom part held the toys, and the lid was the hulk's head and shoulders.  One day, he thought it would be funny to take all the toys out and hide inside, and then when I went into his room, he leapt up with the lid on his upper body and scared the living crap out of me.  I was scared sh*tless of that thing for the next year probably.  (I was maybe 5 at the time.)  I wouldn't even set foot in his room because I thought it was going to "come to life again" and get me.

I recently reunited with him, and that was the very first thing I thought of.  That damn toy box.  I'm still kind of bitter, but he's an awesome guy.

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/10 at 8:41 pm

I forgot all about this until the other day.

I had a friend growing up that had an Incredible Hulk Toy box.  The bottom part held the toys, and the lid was the hulk's head and shoulders.  One day, he thought it would be funny to take all the toys out and hide inside, and then when I went into his room, he leapt up with the lid on his upper body and scared the living crap out of me.  I was scared sh*tless of that thing for the next year probably.  (I was maybe 5 at the time.)  I wouldn't even set foot in his room because I thought it was going to "come to life again" and get me.

I recently reunited with him, and that was the very first thing I thought of.  That damn toy box.  I'm still kind of bitter, but he's an awesome guy.

I'm sorry ash but 

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/smileys/laughingsmiley.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...