inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: There are just too many damn remotes!

Written By: loki 13 on 12/05/09 at 12:41 pm

There is remote for the TV, one for the DVD, CD and any other electronic equipment. That's bad enough but
now I think they've gone too far. We now have remotes for air conditioners, ceiling fans and gas fed fire places.
I had a CD player installed in my truck, it has a remote. The law in NJ says you can't talk on a hand held cell phone
but what about operating a freakin' remote?

This takes the cake though. I saw an ad in the paper, it was for a 7" portable LCD TV with an AC adapter, car adapter,
earphones and ---- get this----- remote control. A remote for a portable TV? come on, the freakin' remote is half the
size of the TV. A portable TV is a hand held devise, why in the world do you need a remote? Enough with the remotes
already, not everything needs one.

Subject: Re: There are just too many damn remotes!

Written By: whistledog on 12/05/09 at 2:59 pm

The only things that meed remotes are TVs and devices that can play tapes or discs of any kind.  For anything else, people need to off their damn couches and turn it on/off. 

But remotes for cars and portable DVD players?  That is going way too far.  Comedian John Mendoza did a joke on remotes once, and it still makes me laugh:  Ever notice how you sit down to watch TV only to notice the remote is on top of the TV?  Don't you wish you had a remote to get that remote?

Written By: snozberries on 12/05/09 at 3:26 pm

I'm lazy... I need lots of remotes... make me more remotes!!! 

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/09 at 3:28 pm

But remotes for cars and portable DVD players?  That is going way too far.

Not if you are road tripping across the country and your son is watching a portable DVD player and can't hit play on it and you can't see back there to hit the play button.  It's quite handy then.  Or if he falls asleep while watching it and you can't reach back to hit the stop and off buttons.

Just sayin'...

Written By: snozberries on 12/05/09 at 3:31 pm

I used to have a car stereo with a remote... I used it often.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/05/09 at 4:07 pm

I grew up in a time, because I was the youngest, that I was the remote. "Hey kid, change the channel. will ya."
I was in my glory when I first received cable and had the huge box with all the push buttons and levers. Yeah, a
cable still attached to the TV but I could change channels from the couch. Now I need 3 different remotes just
to watch a DVD. It's coming to the point now where you need the remote because there aren't any buttons on
the devices themselves.

Written By: karen on 12/05/09 at 4:17 pm

Not if you are road tripping across the country and your son is watching a portable DVD player and can't hit play on it and you can't see back there to hit the play button.  It's quite handy then.  Or if he falls asleep while watching it and you can't reach back to hit the stop and off buttons.

Just sayin'...

I agree with this.  The DVD player could only be used via the remote if you had it in the case to mount it hanging off the front seat.

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/09 at 5:51 pm

I grew up in a time, because I was the youngest, that I was the remote. "Hey kid, change the channel. will ya."
I was in my glory when I first received cable and had the huge box with all the push buttons and levers. Yeah, a
cable still attached to the TV but I could change channels from the couch. Now I need 3 different remotes just
to watch a DVD. It's coming to the point now where you need the remote because there aren't any buttons on
the devices themselves.

Two words: universal remote.

I agree with this.  The DVD player could only be used via the remote if you had it in the case to mount it hanging off the front seat.

Exactly and thank you. ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/05/09 at 6:44 pm

There's remotes for everything in the house that you do,It's weird.

Written By: wildcard on 12/06/09 at 12:02 am

If you are in a wheelchair or something like that then having remotes for things you might not be able to get to is good.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/09 at 6:40 am

How about a remote to turn on the shower in the morning so you don't have to turn the knob,saves time.

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/09 at 3:03 pm

How about a remote to turn on the shower in the morning so you don't have to turn the knob,saves time.

How does that save time?
It only ends up costing you more money on your water bill, and if the remote breaks, how do you turn off the water?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/07/09 at 3:11 pm

We have lots of remotes in our house and it's getting very confusing!  Remotes for the TV, PVR, DVD player, stereo, ceiling fans, air conditioners, etc.  My daughter and my hubby's dad have the same remotes for their TV's as we have for the living room TV, and every now and then when someone tries to change channels it will affect what the other is viewing!  Too much!  ::) :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/07/09 at 3:36 pm

and now there are remotes for outside your home as well.  some cars have them for starting the engines  :D

Written By: Howard on 12/07/09 at 4:20 pm

How does that save time?
It only ends up costing you more money on your water bill, and if the remote breaks, how do you turn off the water?

I'm guessing,By hand?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/07/09 at 4:22 pm

How about a remote from the film Click where he uses a remote to fast forward time or back it up,Now that would be cool.

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/09 at 7:58 pm

I'm guessing,By hand?  ;D

something you know alot about :P :D

Written By: Howard on 12/11/09 at 6:22 am

How about a remote for a person when they talk too much.

Check for new replies or respond here...