inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Toys For Tots

Written By: Tia on 12/11/09 at 9:30 am

Is anyone going to give anything for Toys For Tots this year? I'm a big fan of the "Russ Yomiko" brand of stuffed animal for sentimental reasons but there are only so many stuffed animals a grown man can buy so i'm gonna pick up a couple for Toys For Tots, just because i can't stop buying them. these are the two i'm gonna get.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WKPwH%2BAbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JZcSQggjL._SS400_.jpg

anybody else giving anything for Toys For Tots this year?

Subject: Re: Toys For Tots

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/09 at 11:57 am

I took a couple of puzzles and a stuffed animal to the Bonnie Hunt show for their drive.

Usually we have a box in our lobby but I guess they aren't doing it this year.

Written By: Tia on 12/11/09 at 1:45 pm

I took a couple of puzzles and a stuffed animal to the Bonnie Hunt show for their drive.

Usually we have a box in our lobby but I guess they aren't doing it this year.
i've never done a toys-for-tots before. they say the toys have to be new, is that true?

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/11/09 at 2:28 pm

FYI - The following toys are not allowed by the Toys for Tots program in our area...  I am not sure if these restrictions are the same in other areas, you may want to check before donating....

"Toys with a military theme, toys related to weapons/law enforcement type toys, toys with candy, used toys, or stuffed animals. In addition toys that use chemicals (i.e. experimental labs, acid, crystal projects, etc) or discouraged as well. The Toys For Tots program does not allow these toys due to safety reasons. Toys fitting this description will not be distributed.  "

We have donated lots of toys in the past, and yet again this year. I usually check their website to see what they are needing most this year (this year here, are toys for boys and girls in the newborn - 2 age group; and then again boys and girls age 10-12...  Both girls get money to buy for children each year, it is very interesting how they try to get the "most out of their money" in order to give the most... It makes them look at their toy selections, and money management in a whole new way.

In order to donate "closer to home" we pick ornaments of the "angel tree" or "giving tree' and then go shopping.  This is when there is a 7 year old girl who needs pajamas and a bratz doll...  Some disadvantaged child in the local community and you actually shop for their gifts and put the ornament back on them, and that child get's those gifts.  The girls and I love doing this!!!!

Written By: Tia on 12/11/09 at 2:49 pm

FYI - The following toys are not allowed by the Toys for Tots program in our area...  I am not sure if these restrictions are the same in other areas, you may want to check before donating....

"Toys with a military theme, toys related to weapons/law enforcement type toys, toys with candy, used toys, or stuffed animals. In addition toys that use chemicals (i.e. experimental labs, acid, crystal projects, etc) or discouraged as well. The Toys For Tots program does not allow these toys due to safety reasons. Toys fitting this description will not be distributed.  "
oh and fun toys. those are also discouraged.  ;D

these are the guidelines they posted at my office... looks like the stuffed animal thing might depend on the area you're in. if TfT can't take em i'll give em to kids' friends for christmas. who doesn't want a russ yomiko stuffed dog? no one, that's who!

Many have asked what type of toy can be donated for the Toys for Tots drive and below are a list of items bases on age ranges that would be good. The toy drive ends one week from today.

Ages 0 – 5
Building Blocks
Flashcards
Stuffed Animals
Interactive Toys

Ages 6 – 10
Books
Lego’s
Action Figures
Dolls (Barbie, Bratz, etc.)
Sports Equipment (Basketballs, Footballs, etc.)

Ages 10 – 16
Board Games
Books
CDs
DVDs
Gift Cards

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/09 at 3:35 pm

i've never done a toys-for-tots before. they say the toys have to be new, is that true?

yes... they don't want broken down, used crappy toys.. .they want the kids to be excited about getting new toys

Written By: Tia on 12/11/09 at 5:05 pm

yes... they don't want broken down, used crappy toys.. .they want the kids to be excited about getting new toys
they don't want my old, mismatched socks? what gives! i totally play with them all the time!

naw these'll be brand new and wrapped, and if they don't steal the little tykes' hearts the ungrateful sods should be thrown in prison.

see how i'm getting into the christmas spirit and all? :P

Written By: Tia on 12/11/09 at 5:06 pm

did you see where they gave the german shepherd a little kaiser wilhelm moustache? how awesome is that?

Written By: karen on 12/11/09 at 8:56 pm

You want to check if they ask for wrapped or not.  The toy collection programme I helped with a few years back asked for unwrapped toys so we could check if they were new.

Written By: Tia on 12/12/09 at 7:01 am

You want to check if they ask for wrapped or not.  The toy collection programme I helped with a few years back asked for unwrapped toys so we could check if they were new.
i believe these guys want it unwrapped. they're coordinating through my office. i assume they mean not gift-wrapped?

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/09 at 9:55 am

i believe these guys want it unwrapped. they're coordinating through my office. i assume they mean not gift-wrapped?

when you said the toy was wrapped at first I thought you meant gift wrapped too then I thought maybe you meant wrapped like still in the original packaging. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/12/09 at 1:23 pm

Those doggies are adorable!!

We always donate money to Toys for Tots.  That way, they can get specific toys that kids in our area want.  Plus we are totally clueless about what's cool and what isn't.

Written By: karen on 12/12/09 at 2:32 pm

Gift-wrapped is what I was talking about.

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/09 at 5:17 pm

I found our toys for tots bin... its so full they took it out of the lobby an moved it to a section of the dept. not being used... there's TONS of toys!  8)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/13/09 at 3:50 pm

I found our toys for tots bin... its so full they took it out of the lobby an moved it to a section of the dept. not being used... there's TONS of toys!  8)

That's great!

Written By: Tia on 12/14/09 at 8:43 am

you should take a bunch! see what you can get for them!

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/09 at 4:16 pm

you should take a bunch! see what you can get for them!

Like I didn't think about it for a second or two  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/09 at 12:04 am

I love Toys For Tots...I try to purchase at least one or more every Christmas.

Check for new replies or respond here...