inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who peeks, at their presents????

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/12/09 at 8:00 am

Who can't handle the suspense, who wants to know....  I know your out there, so lets here it

I have always been this child, from the first time I was sitting in my mothers room (and inadvertently) looked up into my mother's closet and asked about the romper stompers that were in there.  I got scolded and chastised about "spoiling my Christmas."  That was it, I knew there were secrets, and it was my goal to find them out....  Normally I would just "bump" into them, but I would resort to shaking, feeling up a present, and peeling off the tape and rewrapping.  AND IT AIN'T JUST CHRISTMAS!!! I am an addict and I am coming clean...

FYI - I also have a hard time keeping a present secret.  I get a good present, and I want to give it .  I want to see them like it, I have told my husband numerous times about things he is getting, because I cannot keep it in.  I am just giggly with excitement (I also am a terrible liar, so this might be were this "truthfulness" comes in).  I was also the youngest child, my brothers and sister would have me go and "find out" and tell them.  I would get to sit in the room whilst mom was wrapping the goodies, keeping inventory till the next time someone had some candy or pop I wanted...

This is just a little of my story, so let's hear it .  Who can't handle the suspense????

Subject: Re: Who peeks, at their presents????

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/09 at 8:34 am

When I was a kid, I used to try often to find out where my presents were.  I don't remember if I ever had success though. 

I read in some book once about this woman who ruined her son's Christmas because he peeked at his gifts.  Part of the joy of the parents is seeing the looks on the kids faces when they open their presents Christmas morning.  She got him real cool stuff and told him he is not to peek at them before Christmas Morning.  Of course, he did and she discovered this (without his knowledge), so the next day, she returned all the gifts, and got him nothing but clothes instead LOL

Written By: Midas on 12/12/09 at 10:18 am

I peeked once, in 4th grade.  Never again.  I'd rather wait and be surprised. 

I used to be pretty good at figuring out the general item I was getting, like a cassette, Atari cartridge, CD etc.  :D

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/09 at 10:26 am

I've done it a few times... I admit to one year opening the presents my mom sent for my birthday early cuz I couldn't wait.

When I was a kid I would snoop. my mom has a closet she keeps all her gifts in. Instead of  junk drawer my mom has a junk closet... this closet could be featured on hoarders  ;D  anyway- I went digging to see what was in there and found some gifts meant for me... one was a To Kill a Mockingbird VHS tape... I was very excited about that tape...come Christmas I opened all my gifts- no vhs tape... I was sad... my mom said she had more stuff for me but couldn't find it in her closet... that tape never resurfaced  ;D  even after two moves...she has no clue what she did with that tape.  ;D that was my lesson about snooping cuz you get your hopes up then you get let down.

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/09 at 10:26 am

Who can't handle the suspense, who wants to know....  I know your out there, so lets here it

I have always been this child, from the first time I was sitting in my mothers room (and inadvertently) looked up into my mother's closet and asked about the romper stompers that were in there.  I got scolded and chastised about "spoiling my Christmas."  That was it, I knew there were secrets, and it was my goal to find them out....  Normally I would just "bump" into them, but I would resort to shaking, feeling up a present, and peeling off the tape and rewrapping.  AND IT AIN'T JUST CHRISTMAS!!! I am an addict and I am coming clean...

FYI - I also have a hard time keeping a present secret.  I get a good present, and I want to give it .   I want to see them like it, I have told my husband numerous times about things he is getting, because I cannot keep it in.  I am just giggly with excitement (I also am a terrible liar, so this might be were this "truthfulness" comes in).  I was also the youngest child, my brothers and sister would have me go and "find out" and tell them.  I would get to sit in the room whilst mom was wrapping the goodies, keeping inventory till the next time someone had some candy or pop I wanted...

This is just a little of my story, so let's hear it .  Who can't handle the suspense????

ROMPER STOMPERS!!!! I LOVED MINE!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/09 at 11:12 am

As a teen, I used to snoop. I usually knew almost all I was going to get before Christmas. To me, that was part of the fun-trying to figure out my gifts. Of course, I never let my parents know that I knew what I was going to get. When I opened the gifts on Christmas, I would say, "Oh, I knew you were going to give me this." Every year, there was always one or two items that I didn't know about.

Now, I don't usually get too many gifts. Carlos & I usually buy gifts for both of us (this year it is a new house, a new kitchen, a new dishwasher, a new roof, a new laptop, etc. etc.  ::) ) so I still usually know what I am getting.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/12/09 at 11:34 am

My parents would hide them in the trunk of the car.  They'd get a little suspicious if I asked to clean the car out.  I don't peek nor shake anymore, guess I kind of grew out of it.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/12/09 at 12:09 pm

ROMPER STOMPERS!!!! I LOVED MINE!!!
I was worried, no one would know what they were and they would think I made it up!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/12/09 at 12:37 pm

My mom hated to wrap so everything was from "Santa" and put out on Christmas Eve.  My sister and I would get up at 4, peek and go back to sleep. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/09 at 12:45 pm

I was worried, no one would know what they were and they would think I made it up!

We didn't have anything as cool as Romper Stompers. We had to make our own out of Hawaiian Punch cans.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/12/09 at 1:35 pm

It never even occurred to me to snoop when I was young.  And I LOVE being surprised.  This year I have kind of been arguing with my husband because he had me send him links for presents instead of picking things out himself and he said he just bought everything I sent him.  I hate that!  I only sent him links for general ideas, you know?  Of course he meant well, and I'm grateful for that, but I still told him that there better be some surprises!"  I would much rather be surprised!!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/12/09 at 2:40 pm

We didn't have anything as cool as Romper Stompers. We had to make our own out of Hawaiian Punch cans.

Cat
I had a pair of tomato juice can's before I got the romper stompers.... 

Written By: Howard on 12/12/09 at 2:49 pm

I just kept my present a secret,I never wanted to peek,that would spoil the suspense.

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/09 at 5:18 pm

no way!!! those things were awesome!

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/09 at 5:20 pm

It never even occurred to me to snoop when I was young.  And I LOVE being surprised.  This year I have kind of been arguing with my husband because he had me send him links for presents instead of picking things out himself and he said he just bought everything I sent him.  I hate that!  I only sent him links for general ideas, you know?  Of course he meant well, and I'm grateful for that, but I still told him that there better be some surprises!"  I would much rather be surprised!!!

I have an amazon wish list my mom chooses from... that way she knows its something I really want and not a duplicate of what I already have...

it takes all my will power not to check out the wish list and see what's been purchased

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/09 at 5:20 pm

I used soup cans or coffee tins or something..

Written By: Jessica on 12/12/09 at 6:30 pm

Guilty.  I was really really REALLY good about finding where my mom hid stuff.  This was after the "nail file" incident.  When I grew up, I was pretty much able to look at the wrapped gift and figure out what it was.

Written By: Bobo on 12/12/09 at 6:36 pm

It's not possible to peek at presents because Santa brings them all on Christmas Eve.

Written By: Frank on 12/12/09 at 6:48 pm

It's not possible to peek at presents because Santa brings them all on Christmas Eve.

Nice point.  ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/12/09 at 7:24 pm

Yep, I peeked a couple of times, as a teen.  My mom was a bit careless of how she hid the presents at that time...I got to see all the presents she got for me, my dad, and her friends.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/13/09 at 6:36 am

then he steals all the cookies and milk.

Written By: snozberries on 12/13/09 at 9:36 am

then he steals all the cookies nd milk.

he doesn't steal them Howard...we leave them out for him..... like a tip!  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 12/13/09 at 11:09 am

Yeah, we're going to let Jason do that this year, but Rice told him he had to leave out soy milk because "Santa" is lactose intolerant. :D

Written By: snozberries on 12/13/09 at 11:24 am

Yeah, we're going to let Jason do that this year, but Rice told him he had to leave out soy milk because "Santa" is lactose intolerant. :D

;D

perhaps you should leave out Rice Milk  ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 12/13/09 at 2:40 pm

I did once. I guess my mother found out because she told my brother and I we could peek if we
wanted to, we were only ruining our Christmas for ourselves. Since that day it wasn't worth it, it's
never fun when you have permission.

I was always told Santa hated milk so it was Beer and Pretzels at our house.  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/13/09 at 3:48 pm

I was always told Santa hated milk so it was Beer and Pretzels at our house.  ;D

That is AWESOME!

Written By: Jessica on 12/13/09 at 5:11 pm

;D

perhaps you should leave out Rice Milk  ;)

;D

Better idea! :D

So far, Jason hasn't poked or prodded the presents under the tree.  He looks at them and asks me every freakin' day if it is Christmas, but no peeking yet.  I'm waiting though because he's just like me in personality.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/09 at 6:57 pm

Does Santa like Chocolate Milk instead? ???

Written By: snozberries on 12/13/09 at 7:20 pm

Does Santa like Chocolate Milk instead? ???

this santa does!

Written By: Howard on 12/13/09 at 7:27 pm

this santa does!

Ho Ho Ho! ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/13/09 at 8:37 pm

Ho Ho Ho! ;D

who you callin' ho?!?!?  :P

Written By: Howard on 12/14/09 at 5:40 am

Santa Claus?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/14/09 at 10:32 am

Oh man, you stole my line.

Cat

Written By: karen on 12/14/09 at 2:30 pm

Lyle's Golden Syrup cans here.  Never had my own romper stompers.    :\'(

Written By: karen on 12/14/09 at 2:31 pm

we left sherry and a mince pie, plus a carrot for Rudolph

Written By: karen on 12/14/09 at 2:32 pm

I don't remember peeking or trying to find them or anything.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/09 at 4:03 pm

Oh man, you stole my line.

Cat

* to everyone else ignore this digression....

to Cat  one of my favorite GH moments was Dr. Tony Jones dressed at Santa talking to Nurse Bobbie Spencer about Lucy Coe "Ho, ho, ho that she is....."  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/14/09 at 4:10 pm

* to everyone else ignore this digression....

to Cat  one of my favorite GH moments was Dr. Tony Jones dressed at Santa talking to Nurse Bobbie Spencer about Lucy Coe "Ho, ho, ho that she is....."  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Of course, I'm one of the few people here who know who Tony, Bobbie, & Lucy are.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/09 at 4:12 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D

Of course, I'm one of the few people here who know who Tony, Bobbie, & Lucy are.

Cat

I know... and I figured you didn't need the titles but just in case other people chose to ignore my warning and read on I would include the titles for their benefit!

Written By: Howard on 12/14/09 at 4:24 pm

How did Rudolph fit inside the house?

Written By: loki 13 on 12/14/09 at 4:32 pm

Ive never had mince pie. I have it in my refrigerator, it's my fathers favorite, but I've
never tried it. When I was a lad he told me it was minced meat in the pie, since that day
I've hated it without ever trying it.

I know... and I figured you didn't need the titles but just in case other people chose to ignore my warning and read on I would include the titles for their benefit!

I am one of those who chose to ignore your warning but I must be a sad sack, I know who the characters are.  :-[

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/09 at 6:42 pm

I am one of those who chose to ignore your warning but I must be a sad sack, I know who the characters are.   :-[

naw that makes you cool and gets you karma!!!!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/14/09 at 7:00 pm

naw that makes you cool and gets you karma!!!!  :)

Yup-got karma from me, too.

Cat

Written By: karen on 12/14/09 at 9:16 pm

How did Rudolph fit inside the house?

Santa is nice and carries it out to the roof for him

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/09 at 10:03 pm

and i was thinking of typing that but decided to be nice and let you have it!  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/15/09 at 5:39 am

That's nice of him.

Written By: karen on 12/15/09 at 1:07 pm

That's nice of him.

Well he's a nice man, a very nice man, a very, very, very nice man...

Written By: whistledog on 12/15/09 at 9:14 pm

You wanna know how to find out if Santa is real or not?  Leave him this brand of cookies ...

http://www.evitamins.com/images/products/024785002103.gif

If you wake up to find mom or dad in the crapper screaming like they're passing a stone, then you've just proved that Santa is not real

;D

Written By: Howard on 12/16/09 at 5:39 am

You wanna know how to find out if Santa is real or not?  Leave him this brand of cookies ...

If you wake up to find mom or dad in the crapper screaming like they're passing a stone, then you've just proved that Santa is not real

;D

Those cookies look awfully delicious...  :P ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/09 at 9:10 am

;D

That's nasty.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/16/09 at 4:33 pm

Wow,talk about crappy cookies.  :P ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 12/16/09 at 4:47 pm

Howard!  You shouldn't be cussing  >:(

Written By: Howard on 12/16/09 at 4:55 pm

Howard!  You shouldn't be cussing  >:(

Sorry about that.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/19/09 at 1:45 am

Well I got my bangle today, the one my husband foolishly left sitting on the counter right by the door (and the receipt seemed to be printed in 20 pt font).  Hard not to notice...

Lovely, but it is completely not me  :P

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/09 at 10:15 am

Bangle?

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/meet_the_fockers/susanna_hoffs/fockerspred.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 12/19/09 at 10:23 am

My daughter was at mom's last night.  Mom let her wrap my and my sisters presents.  All morning she has been trying to get me to ask what they are.  It's not working, I keep teasing her with what she is getting for Christmas and her birthday....yeah I am a mean mom. ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/19/09 at 12:23 pm

Bangle?

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/meet_the_fockers/susanna_hoffs/fockerspred.jpg
I could find more things to do with her, than the bangle my husband got me ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/19/09 at 7:18 pm

Bangle?

No,not Susannah Hoff. ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/22/09 at 3:25 am

We (my family) never put presents under the tree till Christmas eve...  Probably to avoid any peeking, or to keep the suspense.  I am not sure, we just did not do it.  My husband, insists the tree looks bear without gifts under them, and he wrapped a slew of them and put them under the tree! Torture!!!!  I am not sure if I can resist the impulse...  At home alone with presents!   

Hello my name is Sami and I am a peaker!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/22/09 at 7:34 am

We (my family) never put presents under the tree till Christmas eve...  Probably to avoid any peeking, or to keep the suspense.  I am not sure, we just did not do it.  My husband, insists the tree looks bear without gifts under them, and he wrapped a slew of them and put them under the tree! Torture!!!!  I am not sure if I can resist the impulse...  At home alone with presents!   

I am tempted tp start that tradition.  My kid spent an hour under the tree looking at her presents.  There are only four so it couldn't take that long.  Plus she is constantly on my case to open one.  I think not letting her is part of my Christmas fun....is that mean? ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/22/09 at 8:05 am

I am tempted tp start that tradition.  My kid spent an hour under the tree looking at her presents.  There are only four so it couldn't take that long.  Plus she is constantly on my case to open one.   I think not letting her is part of my Christmas fun....is that mean? ;D
When I first started reading this, I thought you were starting the tradition of peeking ;D  Yes, you and my husband will go to the bad place some day for being sooo mean! >:(  He love's to rub in the fact that he knows what it is, and I REALLY want it, but that I won't be able to use it, if I would know???? :P

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/22/09 at 11:04 am

I do not peek, but my mom accidentally spilled the beans on one of my bro's presents. She was talking to him and said he wouldn't get much since that PS3 game was $60... which she immediately covered her mouth as he said "What game?". Obviously, it was the only game on his list, Fallout 3.

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/09 at 1:10 pm

We (my family) never put presents under the tree till Christmas eve...  Probably to avoid any peeking, or to keep the suspense.  I am not sure, we just did not do it.   My husband, insists the tree looks bear without gifts under them, and he wrapped a slew of them and put them under the tree! Torture!!!!  I am not sure if I can resist the impulse...  At home alone with presents!     

btw how was the jewelry?

I posted on my facebook page that I was going to buy myself a Guitar Hero drum set for my birthday... my mom's friend who is my face book friend was out shopping with my mom and told her then she texted me find out what system I wanted the drums for and to not buy them for myself.  ::) 

It wasn't meant as a hint I wanted to get them myself.....my mom brings out this big assed box that I have to be all "surprised" about 

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/25/09 at 1:14 pm

btw how was the jewelry?

I posted on my facebook page that I was going to buy myself a Guitar Hero drum set for my birthday... my mom's friend who is my face book friend was out shopping with my mom and told her then she texted me find out what system I wanted the drums for and to not buy them for myself.  ::)  

It wasn't meant as a hint I wanted to get them myself.....my mom brings out this big assed box that I have to be all "surprised" about  
I'll save that for you - when you get to LTE. :).  Oh and way to get what you want O0

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/09 at 1:17 pm

I'll save that for you - when you get to LTE. :).   Oh and way to get what you want O0

cool I'm saving LTE for last hope you're still around  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/25/09 at 1:48 pm

cool I'm saving LTE for last hope you're still around  ;D
I am leaving shortly for Hubby's extended family Christmas - although he is sleeping (he left this morning at 2:30 am for work - and only had a couple hours of sleep).  Looks like I will be driving in the snow!

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/09 at 4:06 pm

I am leaving shortly for Hubby's extended family Christmas - although he is sleeping (he left this morning at 2:30 am for work - and only had a couple hours of sleep).  Looks like I will be driving in the snow!

hopefully thats only 3 miles too....  and hopefully you kept the wine to a minimum and havent tried the margarita do-dads yet  ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/25/09 at 9:07 pm

hopefully thats only 3 miles too....  and hopefully you kept the wine to a minimum and havent tried the margarita do-dads yet  ;)
1 glass of wine for me all day... and no Margaritta's (about 1 hour away, and about 1 1/2 away with bad weather)

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/09 at 10:34 pm

1 glass of wine for me all day... and no Margaritta's (about 1 hour away, and about 1 1/2 away with bad weather)

ah that's different! I'm heading to LTE to hear read how it was.

Check for new replies or respond here...