inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you're bored and like old newspapers...

Written By: Jessica on 12/22/09 at 8:13 pm

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

The papers date from 1880 to 1922.  There are some interesting things in them, including the ads for opium tonic or something like that. :o

Subject: Re: If you're bored and like old newspapers...

Written By: Dagwood on 12/22/09 at 8:53 pm

Cool

Written By: gibbo on 12/22/09 at 11:34 pm

Wow...I was just reading reports on the assassination of Jesse James. Really interesting stuff....

Written By: danootaandme on 12/23/09 at 6:09 am

I LOVE THIS KINDA STUFF!  THANK YOU!

Written By: Howard on 12/23/09 at 6:32 am

I couldn't find any weather pages.

Written By: Jessica on 12/23/09 at 11:39 am

I couldn't find any weather pages.

*slap*

Written By: Jessica on 12/23/09 at 7:25 pm

I found this while looking for stuff on Wyatt Earp.  From the Sacramento Daily Record, December 30, 1881:

Mixture of Races.

Tucson, December 29--A curious marriage took place at Fuller's ranch, near here, last Sunday.  The Chinese gardener of that place was married to a dusky maiden belonging to the Apache tribe.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. H. H. Messinger, of this city.  Quite a number of people were present, and in order to create some sport, the Chinaman was forced to part with his cue as a part of the ceremony.*  He objected at first, but finally submitted.  The mother of the girl opposed the marriage, but to no avail.

*for those who don't know, the cue (or queue) was the long ponytail-like hairdo that certain Chinese men wore back in the day.  I'm assuming that they meant he was forced to cut it off for laughs. :P

Written By: gibbo on 12/23/09 at 9:53 pm

I found this while looking for stuff on Wyatt Earp.  From the Sacramento Daily Record, December 30, 1881:

Mixture of Races.

Tucson, December 29--A curious marriage took place at Fuller's ranch, near here, last Sunday.  The Chinese gardener of that place was married to a dusky maiden belonging to the Apache tribe.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. H. H. Messinger, of this city.  Quite a number of people were present, and in order to create some sport, the Chinaman was forced to part with his cue as a part of the ceremony.*  He objected at first, but finally submitted.  The mother of the girl opposed the marriage, but to no avail.

*for those who don't know, the cue (or queue) was the long ponytail-like hairdo that certain Chinese men wore back in the day.  I'm assuming that they meant he was forced to cut it off for laughs. :P

Thanks for the explanation....I thought they must have been playing pool!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...