inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When do I ruin my son Neal's childhood and tell him about...

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/10 at 12:16 pm

...the Star Wars "prequels"?  He's 4 and a half now.  I've been letting him watch the original trilogy for the past year or so.  I still have the original VHS tapes before the "special edition" versions came out, so that's what he's been watching.  He's seen some of the Clone War cartoons (though not the original ones, I have those somewhere and still haven't seen them).  He even got a few SW toys this year (Transformer cross-over toy is brilliant idea IMHO).

At some point he's going to hear about Jar-Jar Binks on the playground.  I just know it. I'm afraid if he's introduced to them too young, he might not understand why they are so awful.  If he comes to enjoy them as a preschooler (about the only group that could find those movies enjoyable), will he resent me later for letting him watch them?

Subject: Re: When do I ruin my son Neal's childhood and tell him about...

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/10 at 5:18 pm

...the Star Wars "prequels"?   He's 4 and a half now.  I've been letting him watch the original trilogy for the past year or so.  I still have the original VHS tapes before the "special edition" versions came out, so that's what he's been watching.  He's seen some of the Clone War cartoons (though not the original ones, I have those somewhere and still haven't seen them).  He even got a few SW toys this year (Transformer cross-over toy is brilliant idea IMHO).

At some point he's going to hear about Jar-Jar Binks on the playground.  I just know it. I'm afraid if he's introduced to them too young, he might not understand why they are so awful.  If he comes to enjoy them as a preschooler (about the only group that could find those movies enjoyable), will he resent me later for letting him watch them?

lets see... we waited about 20 years for that crap right? why not show him the same charity.  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/06/10 at 5:39 pm

Man, I feel like I am missing something...  Why what happens????

I LOVE the Star Wars trilogy <3  <3  <3  I haven't seen clone wars (just was not interested, I guess)...  Should I????  or will it ruin everything for me :-\\

Written By: Red Ant on 01/06/10 at 7:43 pm

Ideally, right after you tell him the EB, TF and Santa aren't real - that way he'll forget about the first three things you said.  4 disappointments for the price of 1. ;D

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/10 at 8:19 pm

Man, I feel like I am missing something...  Why what happens????

I LOVE the Star Wars trilogy <3  <3  <3   I haven't seen clone wars (just was not interested, I guess)...  Should I????  or will it ruin everything for me :-\\

clone wars....wasn't even thinking about clone wars I was thinking about the second trilogy.... Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and the other one...

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/10 at 6:37 am

I've seen only the first three, never seen Bond after Sean Connery, only read the first 3 of Lord of the Rings and Foundation(Asimov), and Dune series.  I see my friends who carried on with them, I feel my way is better.

Written By: karen on 01/07/10 at 8:40 am

Ideally, right after you tell him the EB, TF and Santa aren't real - that way he'll forget about the first three things you said.  4 disappointments for the price of 1. ;D

Ant

EB?

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/07/10 at 9:27 am

EB?
Easter Bunny

Written By: karen on 01/07/10 at 9:28 am

Easter Bunny

Oh.  He doesn't make an appearance in our house.  the kids know its mum and dad putting the eggs out because we do it during the day

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/07/10 at 1:50 pm

...the Star Wars "prequels"?   He's 4 and a half now.  I've been letting him watch the original trilogy for the past year or so.  I still have the original VHS tapes before the "special edition" versions came out, so that's what he's been watching.  He's seen some of the Clone War cartoons (though not the original ones, I have those somewhere and still haven't seen them).  He even got a few SW toys this year (Transformer cross-over toy is brilliant idea IMHO).

;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/07/10 at 2:21 pm

I've seen only the first three, never seen Bond after Sean Connery, only read the first 3 of Lord of the Rings and Foundation(Asimov), and Dune series.  I see my friends who carried on with them, I feel my way is better.

Bond after Connery is still good... just not all of it.  I was pretty fond of Golden Eye.  The new one is ok too...

I read way too many of the Foundation books, when I think just the first would have been enough.

I think I just want to avoid watching these dreadful movies again.  Once a 4 year old sees something, they want to see it again and again.  He still wants to see "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" in January...

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/10 at 6:43 am

I think I just want to avoid watching these dreadful movies again.  Once a 4 year old sees something, they want to see it again and again.  He still wants to see "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" in January...

I know, I've been there. There isn't any thing you can do short of a shotgun through the picture tube.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/08/10 at 1:46 pm

I've only seen the first two myself. Didn't bother me so much, but I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan anyway.

That being said, I've listened to the Star Wars Christmas album, ugh.... That makes things like Jar Jar(who to many people was the most annoying character ever) seem genius-like in comparison.

So you definetly don't want him hearing the Christmas album.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/09/10 at 9:11 am

I've only seen the first two myself. Didn't bother me so much, but I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan anyway.

That being said, I've listened to the Star Wars Christmas album, ugh.... That makes things like Jar Jar(who to many people was the most annoying character ever) seem genius-like in comparison.

So you definetly don't want him hearing the Christmas album.

I've seen the actual video footage... the album is nothing compared to that.  the awfulness, you can't look away

Written By: Gis on 01/09/10 at 11:00 am

Himself says you are all heathens.

I just jumped out of my skin going to the bathroom because there are various sand people drying out in there after being used for this!  ;D

http://worldofblackout.blogspot.com/2010/01/66-snow-man-cometh-again.html

Written By: Step-chan on 01/09/10 at 10:18 pm

I've seen the actual video footage... the album is nothing compared to that.  the awfulness, you can't look away

The Star Wars Holiday vid, I've seen alittle of that too. Good ol' Granddad Wookie Mr. McGrinder Jaw. :P :o

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/10 at 7:55 pm

When I was a kid, when you said "Star Wars", you were talking about the "1st" film.  Now when you say Star Wars, the common response is: "Which one?" :(

Written By: Jessica on 01/10/10 at 11:48 pm

The Star Wars Holiday vid, I've seen alittle of that too. Good ol' Granddad Wookie Mr. McGrinder Jaw. :P :o

Pffft.  Amateurs.  We own it, we sat through it all, and even the bottle of booze didn't take away the stench of how badly it reeked.  Now it is filed away somewhere, never to see the light of day.  EVER AGAIN.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/11/10 at 5:18 pm

I just jumped out of my skin going to the bathroom because there are various sand people drying out in there after being used for this!  ;D

http://worldofblackout.blogspot.com/2010/01/66-snow-man-cometh-again.html

;D  I love himself!  ;D

Written By: Tam on 01/14/10 at 8:51 pm

karma.

I loved the original three, and thought the next three were going to ruin the franchise...
But Jar Jar Binks aside, I actually like episodes 1-3 almost as much as I like 4-6!
I'm not sating they are perfect, but I enjoyed them and still enjoy them when I go on my Star Wars Marathon.

The only thing that has upset me is they changed the end of 6 to take out the chubby man as Anakin - and put Hayden in his place. Not cool.

And please, do not buy the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It sucks and completely tears apart the foundation of the series. I know it was made to promote the tv show, but still - they could have stayed true to the saga. :-[

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/10 at 8:58 pm

karma.

I loved the original three, and thought the next three were going to ruin the franchise...
But Jar Jar Binks aside, I actually like episodes 1-3 almost as much as I like 4-6!
I'm not sating they are perfect, but I enjoyed them and still enjoy them when I go on my Star Wars Marathon.

The only thing that has upset me is they changed the end of 6 to take out the chubby man as Anakin - and put Hayden in his place. Not cool.

And please, do not buy the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It sucks and completely tears apart the foundation of the series. I know it was made to promote the tv show, but still - they could have stayed true to the saga. :-[

didnt know they added hayden to the end of 6  weird,  is there a special feature on the dvd that at least allows you to see the original ending/image?

I thought Phantom was okay... not great but I got caught up in the hype and jar jar didn't annoy me one bit.. I actually walked out of it liking Jar Jar... now I haven't seen it since so I don't know how I'll feel today...

I detested Two with every fiber of my being... almost didn't watch Three because of it...  I kinda liked three alot. I love the evolution from Anikin to Vader... but I hate, hate, hate Hayden as  and think the whole series would've been better if they'd made another choice. I remember Jonathan Jackson wanted the role... that kid can act and he would've been awesome...

Yeah sorry Tam but I think Hayden is a work actor than Kristen Stewart.

Written By: Tam on 01/14/10 at 9:08 pm

didnt know they added hayden to the end of 6  weird,  is there a special feature on the dvd that at least allows you to see the original ending/image?

I thought Phantom was okay... not great but I got caught up in the hype and jar jar didn't annoy me one bit.. I actually walked out of it liking Jar Jar... now I haven't seen it since so I don't know how I'll feel today...

I detested Two with every fiber of my being... almost didn't watch Three because of it...   I kinda liked three alot. I love the evolution from Anikin to Vader... but I hate, hate, hate Hayden as  and think the whole series would've been better if they'd made another choice. I remember Jonathan Jackson wanted the role... that kid can act and he would've been awesome...

Yeah sorry Tam but I think Hayden is a work actor than Kristen Stewart.

I don't think there is a special feature that allows you to see the original ending... there is a 4th disc though that I must admit I have never fully watched. It might be on there. I will have to check it out.

Everyone took a disliking to Attack of The Clones, because it laid the foundation of the romance between Padma and Anakin. The title would lead you to believe that there would be tons of action, however there was more love than anything else. But since I had read Lucas' written backstory, I was prepared for it. Yes, a lot of other information was left out in order to bring the romance forward, but I personally think that without the information, we would not have been able to conceive Anakin's transformation so easily. Without it, we don't really get the depth of his love and why he ultimately switched to the Dark Side.

Revenge of the Sith was brilliant imo. Granted, some of the cgi was lacking, but it still hit it out of the park.

ANd Q - it is fine that you do not like Hayden's acting. Remember - I don't like Rachel Bilson's acting either! ;) And imagine - the two are dating! ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/10 at 9:17 pm

I don't think there is a special feature that allows you to see the original ending... there is a 4th disc though that I must admit I have never fully watched. It might be on there. I will have to check it out.

Everyone took a disliking to Attack of The Clones, because it laid the foundation of the romance between Padma and Anakin. The title would lead you to believe that there would be tons of action, however there was more love than anything else. But since I had read Lucas' written backstory, I was prepared for it. Yes, a lot of other information was left out in order to bring the romance forward, but I personally think that without the information, we would not have been able to conceive Anakin's transformation so easily. Without it, we don't really get the depth of his love and why he ultimately switched to the Dark Side.

Revenge of the Sith was brilliant imo. Granted, some of the cgi was lacking, but it still hit it out of the park.

ANd Q - it is fine that you do not like Hayden's acting. Remember - I don't like Rachel Bilson's acting either! ;) And imagine - the two are dating! ;D

poor Rachel she needs better taste  :P

Actually the romance aspect of Clones didn't bother me so much as Hayden's acting was such crap I couldn't stand to sit thru it...

but I also have to say, and I usually love Natalie Portman, there is a seen during the battle, where Nat "takes a hit", she says ugh and rolls back.... dude we took better falls jumping off walls when I was  in 6th grade... that single moment ruined the film for me and I knew I would never watch it again  ;D

I think after watching one I didn't quite understand the "politics" and "plot" so I went back and watched 4, 5 and 6 on vhs but I fell asleep thru each film... that's when I learned I was not a die hard Star Wars fan  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/30/12 at 11:03 am

>:(  CURSE YOU GEORGE LUCAS!!!  >:(

He's re-releasing the films again this time in 3D (cash grab!) and starting with the dreadful Phantom Menace.  So Neal has been seeing the lousy trailers for this lousy film.  He know it exists, and not only that, wants me to watch it in a theater. 

>sigh<  I knew this day would come, they grow up so quickly now.

If I let him know I have the DVDs he'll want to watch them.  Probably a lot.  ugh. Guess it would be cheaper than going to the theater.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/31/12 at 9:39 pm

When I was a kid, when you said "Star Wars", you were talking about the "1st" film.  Now when you say Star Wars, the common response is: "Which one?" :(

This one.

Because it's the only recent release in which Han shoots first, and until Lucas rectifies that error, me and my laserdiscs will do just fine, even if I have to flip them over every half-hour.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/12 at 10:10 pm

This one.

Because it's the only recent release in which Han shoots first, and until Lucas rectifies that error, me and my laserdiscs will do just fine, even if I have to flip them over every half-hour.

not true. there was a special edition DVD set with the original and mutilated copies in the same package.  those were the ones I rented when my VHS player began to act up. 

Check for new replies or respond here...