inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HELP! AOL/GOOGLE

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/10 at 6:12 am

For some reason AOL and Google give me an error.  Everything else is ok, but that is where my mail is.  Anyone else having this problem this morning?  I'm thnking the cyber terrorists have struck.

Subject: Re: HELP! AOL/GOOGLE

Written By: Howard on 01/30/10 at 6:29 am

What do you mean? You can't log in to your mail accounts?  ???

Written By: Midas on 01/30/10 at 7:16 am

I gots on to the gmail just fine.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/10 at 7:37 am

I can get Google, everything but GMail, if I try gmail I get a "this site may not be secure".  I can't get into AOL at all. 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/10 at 7:46 am

This is what I get

This Connection is Untrusted       

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to www.google.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

Technical Details

www.google.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for activatemydsl.verizon.net

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

I Understand the Risks

If you understand what's going on, you
can tell Firefox to start trusting this site's identification.
Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is
tampering with your connection.

Don't add an exception unless
you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.

Written By: Midas on 01/30/10 at 7:54 am

Strange.  I'm not a tech-savvy guy.  I'm using Google Chrome as my browser without issue.  Where's Tam when you need her?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/10 at 7:56 am

Google has begun to phase out support for Internet Explorer 6, the browser identified as the weak link in a cyber attack on the search engine.

Is this affecting you?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/10 at 8:13 am

I have Mac.  Spent 10 minutes on the phone with Verizon and it is cleared up now.  They seem to know what was going on, whatever it was it is ok now.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/10 at 8:14 am

I have Mac.  Spent 10 minutes on the phone with Verizon and it is cleared up now.  They seem to know what was going on, whatever it was it is ok now.  :)
Perfect!

Written By: Midas on 01/30/10 at 8:22 am

Excellent news!  Glad they helped you fix the issue :)

Written By: Womble on 01/30/10 at 5:20 pm

For some reason AOL and Google give me an error.  Everything else is ok, but that is where my mail is.  Anyone else having this problem this morning?  I'm thnking the cyber terrorists have struck.

I've had the same issue with Yahoo this morning.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/10 at 6:42 pm

I have Mac.  Spent 10 minutes on the phone with Verizon and it is cleared up now.  They seem to know what was going on, whatever it was it is ok now.   :)

fantastic.  :)

Written By: Tam on 01/30/10 at 7:19 pm

Most times, this type of error is caused by spyware/phishing/email hacking. However, if the computer is running internet security, then it main cause could be the ISP changing you IP address, or your IP address being routed through a different server.

Only one other cause I can think of. If your clock/calendar was accidentally changed. The likelihood of that is almost zip though - unless it was done intentionally.

AOL on the other hand, uses rotating IP addresses, and most times the issue has to be resolved by them. 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/10 at 1:50 am

Most times, this type of error is caused by spyware/phishing/email hacking. However, if the computer is running internet security, then it main cause could be the ISP changing you IP address, or your IP address being routed through a different server.

Only one other cause I can think of. If your clock/calendar was accidentally changed. The likelihood of that is almost zip though - unless it was done intentionally.

AOL on the other hand, uses rotating IP addresses, and most times the issue has to be resolved by them. 8)
Don't remind me of the trouble I had with AOL, I grew to call it Always OffLine!

Check for new replies or respond here...