inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kindle, Nook or Sony Reader?

Written By: Tam on 02/06/10 at 2:20 pm

I talked to my husband today which was a bonus for me because we had already talked once this week. He told me that he is thinking about getting me a 'reader' for my birthday, since I love, love, love to read. He was completely taken with the Kindle at Amazon but told me to do research and find which one is the best.

I have gone to all three websites and have compared them to the best of my ability.

So far, for me, the Kindle seems to be the best bet. It can hold up to 1500 books (not that I could EVER have that many books), good battery life and convenience with global wireless. Books generally are $9.99 or lower and there is a selection of 400,000 titles.

The Nook comes in close second, but only because there are up to 1 million titles available. But everything else is pretty much the same.

Anyone have any of these willing to add their two cents? I would greatly appreciate it!

Tam 8)

Subject: Re: Kindle, Nook or Sony Reader?

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/10 at 3:49 pm

I talked to my husband today which was a bonus for me because we had already talked once this week. He told me that he is thinking about getting me a 'reader' for my birthday, since I love, love, love to read. He was completely taken with the Kindle at Amazon but told me to do research and find which one is the best.

I have gone to all three websites and have compared them to the best of my ability.

So far, for me, the Kindle seems to be the best bet. It can hold up to 1500 books (not that I could EVER have that many books), good battery life and convenience with global wireless. Books generally are $9.99 or lower and there is a selection of 400,000 titles.

The Nook comes in close second, but only because there are up to 1 million titles available. But everything else is pretty much the same.

Anyone have any of these willing to add their two cents? I would greatly appreciate it!

Tam 8)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/07/barnes-and-noble-nook-review/

http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/kindle/

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/09/07/sony-prs-600-touch-edition-reader-review/

After checking out reviews from here (how subjective they are I don't know) each reader has it's share of pros and cons, like with everything. However, performance related I figure the Kindle is the one. It seems to perform faster than the Nook, has a long battery life and intelligent design so...yeah, the Kindle. Hope this helped.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 02/06/10 at 5:24 pm

I played with the kindle the other day and I love it.

I did some quick research on the nook after Sami mentioned it- it was the first I'd heard of it.  but didn't really like what I read- It was a review in the NY Time or Post or something and it pretty much highlighted the drawbacks to the Nook. The article felt impartial so I was inclined to believe what I read.

I have seen the Sony Reader at Borders but never really looked at it. 

I think the kindle is the better gamble because its more likely to last due to its relation with Amazon 

I am waiting for a better version tho- one with a color screen and I'm waiting for them to make the kindle in black because I hate that white casing.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/07/10 at 8:28 am

I have tried my friends Nook - her husband got it, as it had better reviews :-\\  I do like it.  I haven't tried a kindle.

But I think I am now waiting for the Mac tablet...

Written By: Tam on 02/08/10 at 11:30 pm

Thanks Guys!

I am going with the Kindle.
It just seems to have everything that one could want, not to mention free books as well! 8)
That was part of what sold me on it!

I should be getting it within 2 days! w00t!

Yes, it is early for my birthday! My husband loves me!

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/10 at 12:40 am

Thanks Guys!

I am going with the Kindle.
It just seems to have everything that one could want, not to mention free books as well! 8)
That was part of what sold me on it!

I should be getting it within 2 days! w00t!

Yes, it is early for my birthday! My husband loves me!

I sure wish your hubby loved me!  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/10/10 at 5:37 am

Book

Written By: Bobby on 02/10/10 at 6:01 pm

Book

Lol.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/10 at 8:19 pm

Book

what's that?  ;) :D

Written By: Tam on 02/10/10 at 11:03 pm

Book

Of course I completely agree, however it seems that the nook will be better to travel with than a bunch of books taking up space. AND this way my books don't get dogeared! ;)

Written By: Tam on 02/13/10 at 11:59 am

I received my Kindle 2 days ago. ;)

I have been learning it inside and out and I am thoroughly impressed. I love it's sleek design, the ease of access and ease of use. It is brilliant.

I have already downloaded about 16 books or so. Of course, they were all in the free catalogue, which is alright by me. If they are free, it just means that volunteers transcribed the books and therefore no charges are incurred. What excited me was that all Of Jane Austen's books were free - save for her unfinished titles. 8)

There is only one little bitty thing that has me upset...

Jeff Lindsay's books are available for the Kindle, however, they are not available for download in the United States!! That means no Dexter books for me!!! :(

;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 12:09 pm

Jeff Lindsay's books are available for the Kindle, however, they are not available for download in the United States!! That means no Dexter books for me!!! :(

;D

OH NO!!!!

oh and...

I received my Kindle 2 days ago. ;)

when should I expect mine?  ;)  :D

Written By: Tam on 02/13/10 at 12:31 pm

OH NO!!!!

I know right. That just means that I can own them on paper as opposed to electronically. ;)

oh and...

when should I expect mine?  ;)  :D

Well, I will send Nasty an email asking him when yours will arrive! ;) ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 12:44 pm

I know right. That just means that I can own them on paper as opposed to electronically. ;)

Well, I will send Nasty an email asking him when yours will arrive! ;) ;D

;D

Written By: Tam on 03/08/10 at 1:08 pm

Guess what is available now Q??!!!

All of the Dexter's!!!
And conveniently I didn't bother to look before I used a gift card that I received for my birthday!!! Hahaha! Sucks to be me! ;D

Written By: snozberries on 03/17/10 at 8:39 pm

Guess what is available now Q??!!!

All of the Dexter's!!!
And conveniently I didn't bother to look before I used a gift card that I received for my birthday!!! Hahaha! Sucks to be me! ;D

YAY!!!! and  DAMN!!!!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...