inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My next project I want to attempt... I'm probably nuts for even thinking of this

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/18/10 at 6:04 pm

For the 6,400 songs in my loved folder I have created a text file for each song with the song lyrics (and a huge THANK YOU to the people who helped me with the last 30 or so I couldn't find). 

For my next project, I wanted to make a smaller lyrics file with just the chorus or the part people tend to know the best.  I almost wonder if I could figure it out with a script by looking for the sections of a song that are repeated, or maybe have the word chorus in them.

I'm also thinking of culling chart positions and release years for the songs that I have charts for, but I can automate much of that from the stuff I already have.

Subject: Re: My next project I want to attempt... I'm probably nuts for even thinking of this

Written By: gibbo on 03/18/10 at 6:50 pm

For the 6,400 songs in my loved folder I have created a text file for each song with the song lyrics (and a huge THANK YOU to the people who helped me with the last 30 or so I couldn't find). 

For my next project, I wanted to make a smaller lyrics file with just the chorus or the part people tend to know the best.  I almost wonder if I could figure it out with a script by looking for the sections of a song that are repeated, or maybe have the word chorus in them.

I'm also thinking of culling chart positions and release years for the songs that I have charts for, but I can automate much of that from the stuff I already have.

Chucky...just looking at the bands in your sig line. What is the first band?  I could recognize REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar...

Subject: Re: My next project I want to attempt... I'm probably nuts for even thinking of this

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/18/10 at 8:41 pm

Chucky...just looking at the bands in your sig line. What is the first band?  I could recognize REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar...

Firefall... going tomorrow night.  No idea what they sound like now, should be interesting.

Written By: gibbo on 03/18/10 at 8:48 pm

Firefall... going tomorrow night.  No idea what they sound like now, should be interesting.

Thanks...I don't believe I know that band. I'll have to check them out on youtube when I get home...

Hope they don't disappoint you...

Subject: Re: My next project I want to attempt... I'm probably nuts for even thinking of

Written By: Frank on 03/19/10 at 12:48 am

The band that did these songs?

Just remember I love you
Strange way
You are the woman

Have fun!

Subject: Re: My next project I want to attempt... I'm probably nuts for even thinking of

Written By: Howard on 03/19/10 at 6:50 am

Just remember I love you
Strange way
You are the woman

Have fun!

They were cool in the 70's.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/19/10 at 9:31 am

Just remember I love you
Strange way
You are the woman

Have fun!

yup... the same people (I assume)

Written By: Henk on 03/19/10 at 12:00 pm

No thanks. I could do with a little money to buy me a new headphone, though (I broke mine in the process). ;D

And when I say 'broke' , I mean 'broke'. It is now in two pieces.

Just chart positions for U.S. of A., I assume? ???

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/19/10 at 10:32 pm

You're nuts for even thinking of this.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/19/10 at 10:55 pm

No thanks. I could do with a little money to buy me a new headphone, though (I broke mine in the process). ;D

And when I say 'broke' , I mean 'broke'. It is now in two pieces.

Just chart positions for U.S. of A., I assume? ???

I have three different sets of headphones just on my desk alone... two different ones for the PC with a boom mic, and a kick ass set of Grado SR60's.  Susan has a pair and I have one set at home and one at work.  Well worth the investment of $70 or so for a classic full set of cans.

I have chart positions spreadsheets for America (Hot 100, AOR, Modern Rock, R&B, Bubbling Under, Adult Contemporary, Country, Cashbox), the UK, Australia, Germany, Holland, New Zealand & Sweden.  Some only cover the 80s, some are from the 1950s onwards.  I'm a chart junkie.  I even created accounts on Amazon UK and the German Amazon sites to buy chart books.  The worst was the Aussie charts.  At the time (still might be the case) it had to be bought with a money order in Australian funds.  The shipping and the money order fees added close to $30US to the cost of the book.  Which incidentally could have used some better proof checking.  Yeah, I'm a chart junkie. Yes my American Top 40 mp3 collection is gigantic (soon to be completed, as in every show).

You're nuts for even thinking of this.

that's nothing... I'm also planning on building a video library for each of the songs, and collecting up live versions, alternate version, and covers.

it's kind of like my own version of the Library of Congress "selected songs" or whatever it is they do when they pick certain songs for their preferred list.  I was collecting a lot of stuff based on just chart appearances, or whether they made a top 100/500/1000 list.  At this point I have so much stuff, I felt it was time to just focus my collecting habits on stuff I know I like instead of trying to locate stuff I don't know yet.

I was talking about building a small scale Jukebox casemod for a PC... the real dream (if I had infinite time) would be to do all of the above, and embed a screen in it so I could have the ultimate video jukebox.

I've also been toying with the idea of trying to make a website that could gather this info from Web visitors.  Kind of like AllMusic or RateYourMusic do now, but with an export function.  Those sites keep the data they gather rather locked down, I want an XML file for each song that I could then write scripts against.  They're also not focused on individual songs, they focus on the performers or the albums.  Songfacts goes after trivia, but none of the real info (plus much of it has no reference, just made up crap from web visitors) like release data, chart info, who wrote it, who played on it, who produced it, etc.  Think like IMDB for songs instead of movies.

Check for new replies or respond here...