inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the funniest thing that's ever happened to you on a date?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/12/10 at 10:37 pm

One thing that makes me laugh is when people peg their pants.  You know, pull them tightly around the ankles, and roll them up into tiny little rolls at the bottom?  Here is an example:  http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww157/Springtimevoodoo/IMG_0803-1.jpg

Anyway, we had been discussing this topic during lunch at work one day, and one of the guys I was eating lunch with happened to ask me out.  We met at the resturaunt, and went in to eat.  Then we walked around downtown Salt Lake City because it was during Christmas Time, and we went to Temple Square to see the lights.  I think we went and had coffee at one point - anyway, we were together for hours having a fabulous time.

Apparently, I never once looked down at his shoes, because he specifically pegged his pants before our date just to make me laugh.  And I didn't even notice.  The poor guy finally had to bring my attention to it.   ;D  It was really funny though, and I thought he was so charming to walk around looking like an idiot, just patiently waiting for me to look down!

Also, the guy in the photo is not the one I went out with.  He's just the one that was on Photobucket.

Subject: Re: What's the funniest thing that's ever happened to you on a date?

Written By: gibbo on 04/12/10 at 11:06 pm

On my first big date (with my now wife)...I took her to a very fancy restaurant (it was top floor of the Sheraton). We dressed up for the night. Anyway, I made myself so physically sick with nerves that I could not eat my (very expensive meal). My date ate her meal and mine as well. When she stood up...her dress split down the back zipper (it was an off the shoulder dress). I was almost about to throw up and was not very helpful. She had to get a waiter to assist her with her dress. Tecnically, that waiter got further than I did that evening (as far as the 'bases' went ::)).

We caught a cab straight home and I had to ask for a doggie bag (to use as a sick bag) just in case I threw up in the cab!!  It was her birthday .... and with present, flowers and the expensive meal ...I was out of pocket somewhere around $250 for the night (a considerable sum 25 years ago).

Actually...come to think of it...there's nothing funny about any of that!!!

Written By: nupur on 04/12/10 at 11:12 pm

On my first big date (with my now wife)...I took her to a very fancy restaurant (it was top floor of the Sheraton). We dressed up for the night. Anyway, I made myself so physically sick with nerves that I could not eat my (very expensive meal). My date ate her meal and mine as well. When she stood up...her dress split down the back zipper (it was an off the shoulder dress). I was almost about to throw up and was not very helpful. She had to get a waiter to assist her with her dress. Tecnically, that waiter got further than I did that evening (as far as the 'bases' went ::)).

We caught a cab straight home and I had to ask for a doggie bag (to use as a sick bag) just in case I threw up in the cab!!  It was her birthday .... and with present, flowers and the expensive meal ...I was out of pocket somewhere around $250 for the night (a considerable sum 25 years ago).

Hey, at least it all worked out in the end, right?  :D

Written By: gibbo on 04/12/10 at 11:13 pm

Hey, at least it all worked out in the end, right?  :D

Another matter for debate!  ;D

Written By: nupur on 04/12/10 at 11:20 pm

Another matter for debate!   ;D

;D I hope for you that the wife doesn't read that!

Written By: snozberries on 04/13/10 at 12:04 am

poor mrs gibbo....blinded by the big spender... she was so happy you asked her for a second she said yes out of shock... I think the shock finally wore off sometime after the I do's and the poor woman has been stuck with you ever since!  :P

I on the other hand made a total ass of myself (shut up gibbo) after going to the bathroom I came back out on the dance floor and went full out dancing to the groove....some kind person finally told me what no one else would.... yep....toilet seat cover caught up in the back of my pants....  :-[

Written By: gibbo on 04/13/10 at 1:19 am

poor mrs gibbo....blinded by the big spender... she was so happy you asked her for a second she said yes out of shock... I think the shock finally wore off sometime after the I do's and the poor woman has been stuck with you ever since!  :P

I on the other hand made a total ass of myself (shut up gibbo) after going to the bathroom I came back out on the dance floor and went full out dancing to the groove....some kind person finally told me what no one else would.... yep....toilet seat cover caught up in the back of my pants....   :-[

;D ;D ;D  Love it....  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Midas on 04/13/10 at 9:32 am

One thing that makes me laugh is when people peg their pants.  You know, pull them tightly around the ankles, and roll them up into tiny little rolls at the bottom?  

Do people still do that?  :o

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/13/10 at 10:01 am

Oh...that's so cute.  And sad.  Why were you so nervous? 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/13/10 at 10:01 am

I on the other hand made a total ass of myself (shut up gibbo) after going to the bathroom I came back out on the dance floor and went full out dancing to the groove....some kind person finally told me what no one else would.... yep....toilet seat cover caught up in the back of my pants....   :-[

Oh my gosh.  HILARIOUS!  ;D  I love you so much!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/13/10 at 10:02 am

Do people still do that?  :o

Not at all.  Which is why it was so funny that my date did it! 

Written By: Frank on 04/13/10 at 11:07 am

;D ;D ;D  Love it....  ;D  ;D  ;D

;D ;D

Written By: Gis on 04/13/10 at 12:19 pm

Himself's band had just played a gig and and a load of us went to a club after, there were about 8 or 10 of us.
We hadn't been going out very long so I guess it wasn't official yet and this other girl from the group kept hitting on him all night. Every time I went to the toilet or to the bar she was all over him, he was terrified of her and I thought it was hysterical  ;D

Anyway I came back this one time and she had him backed right into a corner so I decided enough was enough and stepped in, I actually had to physically lift her out of the way whilst saying 'excuse me, mine I'll think you'll find'.

On the same night Himself had bought me a whistling gorilla toy as I love monkeys. It had one of those motion sensors so it whistled every time someone moved. We arrived at the club and the bouncer asked what I had in the bag, so I said 'a whistling gorilla' he thought I was being obnoxious and taking the p*ss out of him so insisted I empty the bag. I got the gorilla out and he whistled right on cue and the bouncer went 'F*ck me it is a whistling gorilla' and carried it off to show everyone. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/10 at 12:29 pm

The first summer that Carlos & I were dating, we went to an All-You-Can Eat Chinese buffet. After a while, there was a guy who was seated at the table next to ours. The guy went to the bathroom when the waiter came around and asked us if we wanted more tea. Carlos said no, he just wanted a little bit more rather than the whole pot that the waiter would have brought us. He reaches over to the next table and grabbed the other guy's pot of tea and pours himself a cup. Both the waiter & I are looking at him wondering what the hell he was doing. Come to find out, he thought the guy was done and left. When he realized that the guy just went to the bathroom, Carlos turned several shades of purple from embarrassment.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 04/13/10 at 6:10 pm

Himself's band had just played a gig and and a load of us went to a club after, there were about 8 or 10 of us.
We hadn't been going out very long so I guess it wasn't official yet and this other girl from the group kept hitting on him all night. Every time I went to the toilet or to the bar she was all over him, he was terrified of her and I thought it was hysterical  ;D

Anyway I came back this one time and she had him backed right into a corner so I decided enough was enough and stepped in, I actually had to physically lift her out of the way whilst saying 'excuse me, mine I'll think you'll find'.

On the same night Himself had bought me a whistling gorilla toy as I love monkeys. It had one of those motion sensors so it whistled every time someone moved. We arrived at the club and the bouncer asked what I had in the bag, so I said 'a whistling gorilla' he thought I was being obnoxious and taking the p*ss out of him so insisted I empty the bag. I got the gorilla out and he whistled right on cue and the bouncer went 'F*ck me it is a whistling gorilla' and carried it off to show everyone. 

You painted the scene of the Whistling Gorilla extremely well.... ;D 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/14/10 at 12:51 pm

In college, I had just started dating this guy and he had a fraternity formal.  So I spend about $200 on a dress, we drive a few hours to the venue (which, for anyone who knows is in Galena, IL so they've all rented condos), the girls all spend loads of time making ourselves beautiful (well, as beautiful as I can get ;)) and the guys show up in horse-drawn carriages to take us to the formal.  We get there, walk in, and who is the photographer?  My ex-boyfriend that I had dumped to start dating the new guy (in all fairness, the ex had been acting like a jerk, not returning calls, showing up late, etc).  I told the new guy who he was and he was the type of guy to take that information and go over the top.  Needless to say, we had A BLAST!!!  A few weeks later, I'm over at his fraternity house and one of his frat brothers asks him who to make the check out to for the picture order.  I'm dumbfounded because he never told me the pictures were there, even though I had asked him a few times and he kept telling me they weren't in yet.  He finally tells me they came in the Wednesday after the dance, but he didn't want to tell me.  I ask why and he just pulls out the proofs.  There are NO PICTURES OF US!!!  Even in the group picture, we're on the end and he's there, but I'm not.  The one taken of us walking in is mysteriously so out-of-focus I only know it's us because of the color of my dress and it's location between the couple before and after us. There's even one of our table where I'm sitting on his lap and all you could see of me was my legs! LOL!  Needless to say, I chewed the ex a new one...on his answering machine of course because he wouldn't answer the phone or would hang up when I called!  I found out later from a friend of his that he DID take pictures of me (because the friend saw them and asked him about them) but never put them in the proof album.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/18/10 at 2:25 pm

In college, I had just started dating this guy and he had a fraternity formal.  So I spend about $200 on a dress, we drive a few hours to the venue (which, for anyone who knows is in Galena, IL so they've all rented condos), the girls all spend loads of time making ourselves beautiful (well, as beautiful as I can get ;)) and the guys show up in horse-drawn carriages to take us to the formal.  We get there, walk in, and who is the photographer?  My ex-boyfriend that I had dumped to start dating the new guy (in all fairness, the ex had been acting like a jerk, not returning calls, showing up late, etc).  I told the new guy who he was and he was the type of guy to take that information and go over the top.  Needless to say, we had A BLAST!!!  A few weeks later, I'm over at his fraternity house and one of his frat brothers asks him who to make the check out to for the picture order.  I'm dumbfounded because he never told me the pictures were there, even though I had asked him a few times and he kept telling me they weren't in yet.  He finally tells me they came in the Wednesday after the dance, but he didn't want to tell me.  I ask why and he just pulls out the proofs.  There are NO PICTURES OF US!!!  Even in the group picture, we're on the end and he's there, but I'm not.  The one taken of us walking in is mysteriously so out-of-focus I only know it's us because of the color of my dress and it's location between the couple before and after us. There's even one of our table where I'm sitting on his lap and all you could see of me was my legs! LOL!  Needless to say, I chewed the ex a new one...on his answering machine of course because he wouldn't answer the phone or would hang up when I called!  I found out later from a friend of his that he DID take pictures of me (because the friend saw them and asked him about them) but never put them in the proof album.

Oh my gosh!  Was he jealous much?  I love it!   ;D  It sounds like you had a fabulous time anyway, and that's what really matters.  What a hoot.

Check for new replies or respond here...