inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the sickest you have ever been?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/25/10 at 10:49 am

What is the sickest you have ever been? 

Subject: Re: What is the sickest you have ever been?

Written By: Frank on 05/25/10 at 11:13 am

The worst pain I ever had was a kidney stone. The lady nurse at the hospital (who's had 3 kids) says the pain is worse than going through labour.

The most sicknesses I had at the same time was a cold with fever + gout + a prostate infection. Because of gout, I couldn't walk. Because of the prostate infection, I couldn't sit. Because of the cold/fever/stuffed up, I couldn't sleep.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/10 at 11:18 am

I think it was when I had strep throat as a teen (a couple of times  ::) ). I also had walking pneumonia about a decade ago.

Cat

Written By: lola669 on 05/25/10 at 11:35 am

Does being sick every day for 9 months during pregnancy count?  :D

I guess the sickest would be when I had a double ear infection and bronchitis back in high school.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/10 at 11:37 am

Does being sick every day for 9 months during pregnancy count?   :D

I guess the sickest would be when I had a double ear infection and bronchitis back in high school.

Oh yeah, that reminds me that I had an ear infection-burning 102 temp and I took an IQ test (yeah, I know.) I still scored above average. I wonder how I would have scored if I wasn't sick-maybe lower than average.  :-\\ :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Midas on 05/25/10 at 1:47 pm

The worst pain I ever had was a kidney stone. The lady nurse at the hospital (who's had 3 kids) says the pain is worse than going through labour.

My worst pain was also a kidney stone.  My girlfriend at the time had to take me to the ER at 2:30 in the morning.  I yakked in the front yard before getting in the car.  When we got to the ER the nurse or whoever was asking me all these questions and I told her I needed a bucket or something so she quickly grabbed a wastebasket but my hat was in the way of the projectile so I threw that away also.  :P

Sickest I can recall being was after a Friday night of drinking lots of beer, wine coolers & Capt. Morgan when I was 17.  I was throwing up/dry heaving for 24 hours.  Everytime I moved I had to go.  My friend finally took me home Saturday night.  I went straight to bed and was sure I was going to be in trouble.  Instead my parents laughed at me.  :o  Sunday my stepdad took me back to my friend's house to retrieve my car.  The first day back at school (I think it was a Tuesday cuz it was a holiday weekend) I got to 2nd period and the room started spinning.  I felt kinda crummy all week. :P

Written By: Howard on 05/25/10 at 2:53 pm

The sickest I've ever been was having a 102 fever,cold sweats and chills after that I don't know when I've ever been really sick.

Written By: wildcard on 05/25/10 at 4:12 pm

^ I'm thinking comfortably numb.

Pain- there's nothing like getting a botox injection in the eye.  That's while you're awake, scary you see and go black besides the needle in your eye feeling. 

Sick-  after my brain tumor surgery I'd up every minute for I don't remember how long. Regular sick I'm not sure, but I probably can't count high enough as to the number of headaches that hurt so much I just wanted to die.

Written By: Gis on 05/25/10 at 4:31 pm

I guess that would be when I was 7 and they found out I was allergic to Codeine. I don't remember much as I was delirious at the time.  :-\\

Gastroenteritis was the worst I can remember being in recent years, dear lord that was awful, sitting on the toilet with a bowl on your lap because you don't know which end is more important!  :o

Written By: Henk on 05/25/10 at 4:40 pm

Really really sick..? I can't remember. :-\\ Don't think I've ever been really sick.

I've had pain though. Kidney stones, some 16 months ago while at work. The pain was excruciating, as others have already mentioned, and the throwing up part was plain annoying. You can't sit, you can't lie down, you don't know how to stand, walking around is no good - all you wish is for this pain to please go away. Relief comes in syringes. :D

I've also had bronchitis. That wasn't too pleasant either. For a good week I was coughing my lungs out, or so it seemed, and no appetite at all. Thankfully I got the right treatment after that.

And then there were the root canal inflammations... twice. That hurt like hell too. I remember being on the train from work to home, and hoping/wishing/praying I'd faint just to not feel the pain anymore. Of course I didn't faint. One can handle more pain than one thinks.
Long story short: I got two molars jerked out.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/25/10 at 4:54 pm

That would be the Salmonella Parasite of 1988 >:(!  Mind you, not tainted food, but the actual little bastard living in my intestine!  I also have Crohn's disease so I was bleeding internally and all the other fun stuff that comes with it.  Hospitalized for almost 2 weeks - quickest weightloss plan EVER - although, I do not recommend it!

Written By: Dagwood on 05/25/10 at 5:34 pm

It would be the first time I got cellulitis.  The infection was so bad I had to go to the emergency room and have home IV antibiotics for a week.  I missed Thanksgiving because of that little treat.

Written By: wildcard on 05/25/10 at 9:26 pm

That would be the Salmonella Parasite of 1988 >:(!  Mind you, not tainted food, but the actual little bastard living in my intestine!  I also have Crohn's disease so I was bleeding internally and all the other fun stuff that comes with it.  Hospitalized for almost 2 weeks - quickest weightloss plan EVER - although, I do not recommend it!

I wouldn't recommend this weight loss plan either

Written By: Howard on 05/26/10 at 7:29 am

Wow,I heard about Crohn's Disease,That must be hard to live with.  :o

Written By: Frank on 05/26/10 at 11:22 am

I have a friend who has Crohn's. I introduced him to congee ( boiled rice, rice porridge) since I have irritable bowel syndrome, and it helps me. It also helps him have energy. Easy to digest.

Written By: Gis on 05/26/10 at 11:49 am

Yes I've had that weightloss plan too, definitely not to be recommended!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 05/26/10 at 4:54 pm

Probably just about a week ago. I had a pretty bad fever, and the worst puking scene of my life. I couldn't even breathe during it.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/26/10 at 6:50 pm

Yes, the bouts with the Crohn's are no fun either, but, knock wood, it has been in remission for years.

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/26/10 at 7:47 pm

The bad cold I had in April was probably the sickest I've felt in years. 

Written By: Fairee07 on 06/14/10 at 8:30 pm

My top 5:

1. Having this meningoccal-related virus shortly after my first birthday. Don't know if that counts because I can vaguely remember anything except being in a dark room and crying from the pain in my neck/head

The other 4 are not as serious but I definitely remember them more clearly...

2. When I was 16, I almost had to be dragged to the doctor because my throat was burning and so was I. Apparently I had a fever of 105 and had to be poked with all these needles like an orange to run a series of tests including mono. Apparently my doctor reported that it was just a serious virus. But boy was I uncomfortable! All I could do was sleep to escape the pain. I couldn't even eat or drink. It actually took effort for me to lift my head or roll over! I was even hallucinating from the fever (ie. when my entered my room and had woken me up, it took me several seconds to register that it was her). After I did recover, I had this dry cough where I could not stop, which lasted for around a month.

3. Last November (the time of the swine flu), I was experiencing all these flu like symptoms. I went to the doctor, and he told me that I hadn't caught the epidemic but just had a virus because I had no fever. Yet, I still ponder if I had a strain of it. It was hard to tell if I was ever going to get better because my symptoms would alternate or recycle themselves. One day I would have a sore throat and a fever then the next day I would have sore ears and cold like symptoms. After that it would be a cough then back to the sore throat and fever...It was driving me crazy! I think the worst moment was when my cough became really conjested and I was really full of phlegm because it seriously felt like I was going to choke! Fortunately after that, the symptoms began to weaken. I was sick for well over a weak, and usually I heal up after 48 hours.

4. When I was 8, I had this fever and a really really bad ear infection. I was actually crying because my ears would frequently pop. Fortunately I was rushed to the clinic and the symptoms disappeared after a day with the medicine.

5. I don't think I will ever eat Starbuck's breakfast sandwiches again because a year ago I had a really nasty stomach flu that lasted two days. It was projectile vomit and it felt like I was throwing up my guts. I thought after a couple of times I had cleared up my stoamach, but I was pretty much throwing up every hour. I was even throwing up water! I was becoming really acquainted with the toilet's architecture. I considered going to work but figured that I should take a day off to recuperate. Good thing I called in sick because I act a bowl of Jello, figuring that I was playing it safe,...but I threw up again.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/15/10 at 6:53 am

Three days in hospital with a stomach thing and pneumonia.  After three days I left the hospital lest they actually kill me.  The care they offered was textbook substandard, and if it wasn't for Sig jumping all over them I think I may have been one of those "died unexpectedly" items in the obits.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/20/10 at 7:04 pm

I had.....

- Diarrhea

- several colds

-  fainted on two occasions

- was at a psychiatric hospital for a couple of weeks

Written By: DoRitos on 07/02/10 at 2:56 pm

As a child I had every childhood disease in existance up to around the age of eight.  After that I had the occasional cold.  This is not sickness but merits an honorable mention here.  This is an injury.  One of the most serious injuries I have ever sustained is what happended to me last Sunday, June 27th.  I had a freak accident.  I tripped and my bare foot crashed into a box of plastic molding for making decorative craft things using cement in the mold and then painting them.  It's my wife's sideline business.  Several of the very hard plastic moldings were round and had extremely thin edges and were nearly razor sharp because they are so thin.

My right foot caught the edge of one of these moldings and sliced a three inch gash that cut through muscle all the way to the bone.  11 stiches later at the ER and a tetenus shot followed.  I missed three days of work and the foot is still swollen beyond belief.  It is going to take some for it to repair itself.  Meantime I am keeping it iced down, cleaned every two hours and copious amounts of Neosporin.  The triage medic at the ER told me that I nearly amputated my ankle.  :o  Just what I needed to hear.  I'm not out of the woods yet with this.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/10 at 3:08 pm

As a child I had every childhood disease in existance up to around the age of eight.  After that I had the occasional cold.  This is not sickness but merits an honorable mention here.  This is an injury.  One of the most serious injuries I have ever sustained is what happended to me last Sunday, June 27th.  I had a freak accident.  I tripped and my bare foot crashed into a box of plastic molding for making decorative craft things using cement in the mold and then painting them.  It's my wife's sideline business.  Several of the very hard plastic moldings were round and had extremely thin edges and were nearly razor sharp because they are so thin.

My right foot caught the edge of one of these moldings and sliced a three inch gash that cut through muscle all the way to the bone.  11 stiches later at the ER and a tetenus shot followed.  I missed three days of work and the foot is still swollen beyond belief.  It is going to take some for it to repair itself.  Meantime I am keeping it iced down, cleaned every two hours and copious amounts of Neosporin.  The triage medic at the ER told me that I nearly amputated my ankle.  :o   Just what I needed to hear.  I'm not out of the woods yet with this.   :(

Yikes. I hope things mend soon-and without any lasting problems.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 07/02/10 at 3:45 pm

Cat - Me too - thanks.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/03/10 at 12:11 pm

My right foot caught the edge of one of these moldings and sliced a three inch gash that cut through muscle all the way to the bone.  11 stiches later at the ER and a tetenus shot followed.  I missed three days of work and the foot is still swollen beyond belief.  It is going to take some for it to repair itself.  Meantime I am keeping it iced down, cleaned every two hours and copious amounts of Neosporin.  The triage medic at the ER told me that I nearly amputated my ankle.  :o   Just what I needed to hear.  I'm not out of the woods yet with this.   :(

Wow, Ouch and Yuck!  I hope you're better soon!

Written By: DoRitos on 07/15/10 at 6:01 pm

You all may not believe this but once I was somehow transported through time and space and wound up on Picard's Enterprise where I contracted Psi-2000 Virus.  This virus comes from a A mutated form of water that spreads by touch which causes its victims to act in a way similar to being drunk. However, the effects do not wear off and eventually will cause victims to make dangerous decisions.

It was the longest drunk of my entire life and the only time I ever used alcohol where I didn't have to rent it.  They somehow cured me and did some tweaking of the transporter and a tricorder and got me back.  ::)

Written By: wildcard on 07/16/10 at 12:40 am

I believe every word of it :D 

Written By: DoRitos on 07/16/10 at 1:04 am

I believe every word of it :D 

Lieutenant Commander Wildcard set course for the Orion System...  Engage!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/10 at 10:10 am

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life here.

:D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 07/16/10 at 10:23 am

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life here.

:D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Absolutely true with that nasty Psi-2000 Virus  8-P  still running amok.  Psi-2000 Virus

Cat

Absolutely true with that nasty Psi-2000 Virus  8-P  still running amok.  ::)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/01/10 at 7:41 pm

I've been extremely fortunate so far.  I can't help but wonder what is going to happen later in life to even the score. :-\\

The worst, I think, was chickenpox at age 19 (got it in my throat, even)

I got some pretty nasty bladder infections when I was 5 or 6, and I still get some pretty nasty migraines.

But... I've never had strep, never had a nosebleed, never had heartburn (that i know of), and haven't had the flu in almost 30 years.  (Although sometimes I've referred to my colds as the flu... even though I didn't have any stomach issues or fever)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/02/10 at 10:52 am

One summer during grad school I drove to Mexico city.  All the way down we were careful not to eat anything raw, or drink the water.  Got to MC, checked into a hotel across from Chapultepic Park, went into the park and bought a snow cone and a tortilla with sauce, and the next day I died.  After a horse needle of penicillin I got better.

Check for new replies or respond here...