inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who is it for?

Written By: DoRitos on 07/03/10 at 7:39 am

This thread's theme is about unnecessary communications.

Have you ever seen a sign at the entrance of a retail establishment that says "No dogs allowed, except for seeing eye dogs".  Now I ask the question, who is the intended target of the message in this sign?  ???

Subject: Re: Who is it for?

Written By: snozberries on 07/03/10 at 3:31 pm

This thread's theme is about unnecessary communications.

Have you ever seen a sign at the entrance of a retail establishment that says "No dogs allowed, except for seeing eye dogs".  Now I ask the question, who is the intended target of the message in this sign?   ???

Seriously?

It's for the people who don't have service dogs who may have thought about taking their dogs into the store.... You didn't think it was for the blind did you? I mean it's a pretty safe assumption that a blind person with a dog has a serivce dog so they don't need to "see" the sign because their dogs are legal...the sign is for the people who want to go shopping with their pets...

Kinda thought that was self explanatory myself.  ::)

See this person had to leave their dog outside

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3537/3301281412_11159b2f69.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/03/10 at 3:47 pm

http://www.barefoot-healthy-lifestyle.com/image-files/no-shoes-no-shirt-no-service.jpg

How about this sign?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/10 at 3:54 pm

When we were in Puerto Rico, my sister-in-law has Direct TV. They kept advertising over and over and over again for...you got it, Direct TV. I asked my sister-in-law "Why do they need to advertise because you wouldn't be seeing these commercials if you didn't have Direct TV?" She looked at me and said, "Good point." But man, were those commercials %&*%$# annoying.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 07/04/10 at 3:10 am

Seriously?

It's for the people who don't have service dogs who may have thought about taking their dogs into the store.... You didn't think it was for the blind did you? I mean it's a pretty safe assumption that a blind person with a dog has a serivce dog so they don't need to "see" the sign because their dogs are legal...the sign is for the people who want to go shopping with their pets...

Kinda thought that was self explanatory myself.  ::)

See this person had to leave their dog outside

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3537/3301281412_11159b2f69.jpg

It's sarcasm.  And no I don't see the person.

So what are your thoughts about this one on the same sort of subject?  Have you ever gone to a drive in ATM and noticed that the ATM has brail writing on it?  Now who is this for and please don't say that those who are sight challenged may walk up to them and use them.  They are only readily accessible from the driver's seat so don't tell me it's for a passenger.  I can't fathom blind people taking the chance of walking through traffic to get to an ATM.

Written By: snozberries on 07/04/10 at 6:45 pm

When we were in Puerto Rico, my sister-in-law has Direct TV. They kept advertising over and over and over again for...you got it, Direct TV. I asked my sister-in-law "Why do they need to advertise because you wouldn't be seeing these commercials if you didn't have Direct TV?" She looked at me and said, "Good point." But man, were those commercials %&*%$# annoying.

Cat

actually that's not entirely true....I get dish network ads (and ads for other cable providers) on Directv and the directv ads counter act those because dish network wants you think it's better when it's not (I know you disagree Cat but for someone who watches as much TV as I do) Directv is far superior, has more channels and is way cheaper than Dish Network......so the Directv ads are there to make sure people aren't swayed by the dish network ads.

Written By: snozberries on 07/04/10 at 6:49 pm

It's sarcasm.  And no I don't see the person.

So what are your thoughts about this one on the same sort of subject?  Have you ever gone to a drive in ATM and noticed that the ATM has brail writing on it?  Now who is this for and please don't say that those who are sight challenged may walk up to them and use them.  They are only readily accessible from the driver's seat so don't tell me it's for a passenger.  I can't fathom blind people taking the chance of walking through traffic to get to an ATM.

I prefer my sarcasm to have a purpose...and of course you can't "see the person" because they are inside shopping  ::)  Ooooh I left out a comma  ::)

As for the braille on the ATM's I have noticed that- but then again I believe its cheaper for the ATM manufacturers to leave the braille on all ATMS rather then make special ATMS for drive up and braille enhanced machines for walk-up.  This way- if a machine breaks down and they need to replace they don't need to search for one with or without braille.... 

Written By: Dagwood on 07/05/10 at 8:35 am

As for the braille on the ATM's I have noticed that- but then again I believe its cheaper for the ATM manufacturers to leave the braille on all ATMS rather then make special ATMS for drive up and braille enhanced machines for walk-up.  This way- if a machine breaks down and they need to replace they don't need to search for one with or without braille.... 

That's what I always thought, too.

Written By: snozberries on 07/05/10 at 8:44 am

That's what I always thought, too.

It actually makes a lot of sense.....plus....what if  some blind person pulled up to the ATM in the backseat of a taxi....if that ATM didn't have braille on it the person could probably sue (and win) ala the Americans with Disabilities Act....

Now this is funny- I know why they did it (same reason it's written on the coffee cups) but- I had a pre-packaged prepared soup that came in a plastic container. The instructions said you could pour the contents in a pot and simmer the soup- or you could put the container in the microwave...then it warned you that the soup would probably be hot after you cooked it.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/10 at 1:02 pm

actually that's not entirely true....I get dish network ads (and ads for other cable providers) on Directv and the directv ads counter act those because dish network wants you think it's better when it's not (I know you disagree Cat but for someone who watches as much TV as I do) Directv is far superior, has more channels and is way cheaper than Dish Network......so the Directv ads are there to make sure people aren't swayed by the dish network ads.

These ads were on one of the sports channels that you HAD to subscribe to to get. And they would show the exact same ad 3 or 4 times in a row-and at each break.  ::) I think they would be enough to make anyone want to switch service-including you, my friend.  ;)

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 07/05/10 at 2:51 pm

Awhile back I was watching the local morning news.  They were reporting an automobile accident.  To say the least the details were a bit sketchy.  They reported that "An unidentified man is in undetermined condition at Mercy General".  It must have been a slow news day or the streamers had a lot of near misses overnight.  I was indeed impressed that they reported such a newsworthy event.  All they told us is that someone wrecked and went to the hospital, Duh.

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/10 at 1:00 am

These ads were on one of the sports channels that you HAD to subscribe to to get. And they would show the exact same ad 3 or 4 times in a row-and at each break.  ::) I think they would be enough to make anyone want to switch service-including you, my friend.  ;)

Cat

I disagree  ;)

A) I record almost everything so I don't watch that many ads.

B) I still say the ads are to counter balance the influx of ads from Dish Network and cable providers because the "average" viewer could be swayed by the false advertising so Directv is preemptively reminding people why Directv is so AWESOME!!! 

C) I love Directv and I don't mind their ads. They make me happy because I love them so!!!  ;)

Written By: DoRitos on 07/07/10 at 4:25 pm

I disagree  ;)

A) I record almost everything so I don't watch that many ads.

B) I still say the ads are to counter balance the influx of ads from Dish Network and cable providers because the "average" viewer could be swayed by the false advertising so Directv is preemptively reminding people why Directv is so AWESOME!!! 

C) I love Directv and I don't mind their ads. They make me happy because I love them so!!!  ;)

I was never good with math so I have trouble with ads.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/09/10 at 12:25 am

Have you ever seen a sign at the entrance of a retail establishment that says "No dogs allowed, except for seeing eye dogs".  Now I ask the question, who is the intended target of the message in this sign?   ???

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/0ec24ae9-2aad-48c1-9516-7c6c138d2df8.jpg

...the fine citizens of Santa Cruz, CA?

Written By: DoRitos on 07/09/10 at 3:59 am

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/0ec24ae9-2aad-48c1-9516-7c6c138d2df8.jpg

The problem is obvious- "Ca"  :o  And gee whiz I thought I'd have to use the road for my SUV.  Glad I dodged that bullet.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/09/10 at 6:59 am

that sign is for people who can't read.

Written By: DoRitos on 07/09/10 at 8:05 am

that sign is for people who can't read.

Really?  Who did you get to read it for you?  ;)  Sorry, Howard I couldn't resist.  You walked right into that one.  I gave you karma for poking fun at you.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/10 at 2:53 pm

Really?  Who did you get to read it for you?   ;)  Sorry, Howard I couldn't resist.  You walked right into that one.  I gave you karma for poking fun at you.

That's ok,no offense taken.  ;)

Written By: DoRitos on 07/09/10 at 5:13 pm

That's ok,no offense taken.  ;)

None intended - I'm just ornery.

Check for new replies or respond here...